VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 4140 of 52889, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am glad I do not have the CIB stuff obsession. Collecting loose hardware is hard and costly enough.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4141 of 52889, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:

I am glad I do not have the CIB stuff obsession. Collecting loose hardware is hard and costly enough.

I hear ya.. when I first started this madness I was all about loose hardware. But then I remembered all the cool box art from that time period and how it felt like Christmas every time I would get something new. I guess nostalgia sucked me in (deep) from there.

Now I gotta re-sort the hoard in the basement again.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4143 of 52889, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

Boxed hard drives are incredibly rare I'd expect - never seen one on eBay myself. Then again, those WD boxes have a fairly cheap-looking design, so that might be why.

Yeah.. that was kind of a 'why not' purchase. Kinda cool I thought to see them in the original packaging. I know that Special Edition WD drive was all the rage for quite some time.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4144 of 52889, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

Jesus Christ, Artex. Where do you keep finding these things.

I should've said.. "In the dumpster."

😈

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4145 of 52889, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Talking about dumpsters, I go dumpster dive for one hour each week, from the beginning of may.

So far I have found a iMac (CRT Screen + computer in one combo ), One PC complete tower with water from rain in it( looks like a modern P4 but havent taken it appart yet) . A macintosh G4 gray style LCD screen with those special connector, it is super dirty but tested working, I also found a pile of 3 computer CD-ROM drives and a gadjet to chop up onions :p

I was thinking I could make a thread with pictures of my dumpster findings throughout the summer...

Last summer I found a very nice Magicolor 2500w laser color printer. Fixing it consisted of cleaning the lense with a q-tips and alcohol :p It is now my main printer.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4146 of 52889, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:
senrew wrote:

Jesus Christ, Artex. Where do you keep finding these things.

I should've said.. "In the dumpster."

😈

9j23e.jpg

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4148 of 52889, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VooDooMan wrote:

Thanks – I like to play with people from time to time 😉

But we know this now... 🤣

Yes of course, I have got several of those 😉 I had the fourth 3S but it went to Slaventus this year 😁 Those are 2 256MB versions, and 1 128MB version. The one with replaced capacitors is just a spare one left for trade 😀 you can see on the pictures that those are different cards, not just stacked pictures.

I have got some problems with running those 5800 Ultra cards – they do not want to boot. Perhaps my power supply is too weak for it’s powerful engine… 🤣… but my girlfriend has already dried her hair with it, so in the worst case I will have another hair drier in the house 😁

Oh I see.

Sorry to hear about the 5800 Ultras not working.

@ the cards with IBM RAMDACs - there are a number of boards that use those IBM RAMDACs (or at least, that style of chip - I don't know if they're all the same model), not just Number Nines. I know Diamond, Symmetric, 3DLabs, etc used them on pro boards for a time, for example. Mine seems to look just dandy with or without Voodoo2, but I don't have any sort of measurement equipment to test output levels or what-have-you.

Here's an example of a Symmetric card with such a DAC:
800px-3dfx_STB_Glyder_TX_Gold_PCI.jpg
(not my picture, but I do own an example of this card - used to have the box too, until it was lost in a flood (the card was luckily *not* in the box at the time))

Last edited by obobskivich on 2014-06-13, 00:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4149 of 52889, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool. I get people contact me with stuff weekly but they usually want too much $ or they never get back to me after I reach out. I am also reluctant to start hoarding lots of desktops. They take up a lot of space and getting / keeping them going is very time consuming. 😀

Reply 4150 of 52889, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some people find rare and expensive retro hardware, i get stuck with a random pigeon on my window for 3 days 😁

e4c022c362.jpg

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 4151 of 52889, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:
But we know this now... :lol: […]
Show full quote
VooDooMan wrote:

Thanks – I like to play with people from time to time 😉

But we know this now... 🤣

Yes of course, I have got several of those 😉 I had the fourth 3S but it went to Slaventus this year 😁 Those are 2 256MB versions, and 1 128MB version. The one with replaced capacitors is just a spare one left for trade 😀 you can see on the pictures that those are different cards, not just stacked pictures.

I have got some problems with running those 5800 Ultra cards – they do not want to boot. Perhaps my power supply is too weak for it’s powerful engine… 🤣… but my girlfriend has already dried her hair with it, so in the worst case I will have another hair drier in the house 😁

Oh I see.

Sorry to hear about the 5800 Ultras not working.

@ the cards with IBM RAMDACs - there are a number of boards that use those IBM RAMDACs (or at least, that style of chip - I don't know if they're all the same model), not just Number Nines. I know Diamond, Symmetric, 3DLabs, etc used them on pro boards for a time, for example. Mine seems to look just dandy with or without Voodoo2, but I don't have any sort of measurement equipment to test output levels or what-have-you.

Here's an example of a Symmetric card with such a DAC:
(not my picture, but I do own an example of this card - used to have the box too, until it was lost in a flood (the card was luckily *not* in the box at the time))

I also have a Diamond S3 Vision 968 4MB that has this weird chip. It was a bit difficult to find an appropriate driver, but once installed correctly it performed as intended and with great output picture!

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 4152 of 52889, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this for a whole $1

2-Vga Outs that clone one another at-least in dos, Windows treats each as separate displays. And 20mb of ram on a card from 1996 4mb on card 16mb on that module.
Diamond FireGL2000, I know the picture wouldn't focus, as its a really long card.

Here is its backside too.

Another picture of the front, tried to get less blur, not really happening 🤣

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2015-08-13, 04:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4155 of 52889, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

What GPU setup does that card have AlphaWing? Looks like a "big brother" version to the GLyder I pictured above.

I actually have no idea, other then its a Glint chip due to the reference of several glint.sys files in the drivers.
The diamond drivers readme files don't actually tell me anywhere, and the heatsink on the GPU is epoxied on very strongly.
Only the 9x drivers support Direct X, NT4 OGL only, no 2k\XP drivers tho the NT4 drivers might work would have to try.
Its a very sharp and clear card too, for its age.
The drivers are here.
http://www.dmmdownload.com/downloads/
Diamond is going way out of the way to hide their legacy drivers now, I fear they won't be available for long, can't access it from their website, gotta know the link now 🙁
Should be archived before they poof.
Dug a little deeper into the Glint.oem file
I think its this
Glint 500TX
Fire2000.inf just renames it on install
This also gets loaded Delta Geometry Processor, but not renamed.

Reply 4156 of 52889, by pleonard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Who says Microchannel machines have to be silent? 😀

Attachments

• _DSC1693.jpg
    Filename
    _DSC1693.jpg
    File size
    76.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    IBM PS/2 Ultimedia M57slc
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4157 of 52889, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked up a used water-cooled 8800GTX off ebay recently for $20 + $8.60 shipping. Got here, waterblock was leaking like a siv and needed lots of restoration work to make it seal again. Another $13 at the hardware store with some screws and Peramtex Liquid Gasket, good as new (probably better than new) and good to go now. I should of taken a photo of it when it was out of the machine being fixed but.. I didn't think of it. And I'm not draining the entire loop and pulling it just for photos, so, here it is installed in system and running. And no that's not liquid gasket around one of the fill plugs there up top, that's a squishy rubber o-ring I bought as a replacement.

s_DSC04174.JPG

Resized for the forums, full size here: http://www.outfoxed.net/misc/water/June-2014- … te/DSC04174.JPG

Reply 4158 of 52889, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlphaWing wrote:
I actually have no idea, other then its a Glint chip due to the reference of several glint.sys files in the drivers. The diamond […]
Show full quote

I actually have no idea, other then its a Glint chip due to the reference of several glint.sys files in the drivers.
The diamond drivers readme files don't actually tell me anywhere, and the heatsink on the GPU is epoxied on very strongly.
Only the 9x drivers support Direct X, NT4 OGL only, no 2k\XP drivers tho the NT4 drivers might work would have to try.
Its a very sharp and clear card too, for its age.
The drivers are here.
http://www.dmmdownload.com/downloads/
Diamond is going way out of the way to hide their legacy drivers now, I fear they won't be available for long, can't access it from their website, gotta know the link now 🙁
Should be archived before they poof.
Dug a little deeper into the Glint.oem file
I think its this
Glint 500TX
Fire2000.inf just renames it on install
This also gets loaded Delta Geometry Processor, but not renamed.

That's what I was guessing (that its a 3DLabs card). You can get the drivers (for Glint/Delta) directly from 3DLabs' website (http://www.3dlabs.com/content/Legacy/drivers/ … riverSelect.asp) if you like (and the old Symmetric website as well, which IS archived (https://web.archive.org/web/19980615014132/ht … .com/index.html)). No 2k/XP support, and I've never had good luck with NT4. Win95 works decently well, haven't tried 98/ME but assume it should work within the limitations of the card. I did a bit of looking about FireGL2000 and it appears it isn't a 500TX; its a 300SX/Delta combo. Here's the Diamond MM product page from 1996: http://web.archive.org/web/19961219234039/htt … on/firegl-2000/ and here: http://web.archive.org/web/19961220002325/htt … /tech-spec.html and driver packages for NT 4 and NT 3.5.1 here: http://web.archive.org/web/19961219234800/htt … re-gl-2000.html

I'm curious about the 8-pin loop through and exactly how the "Diamond Dual Screen" feature is meant to work (Wiki claims there's an S3 processor on there somewhere, but Diamond's site doesn't mention it). As far as performance differences go, the 500TX appears to be somewhat faster (I don't know by how much), and also supports hardware texture mapping. From Symmetric's specifications for a 500TX board, performance will be lower than the Voodoo2, but it's an integrated 2D/3D board (its also 3-4 years older). Couldn't find any #s on the Diamond pages.

Some things to keep an eye out for (and again, all this based on the Symmetric card - so certainly there could be some differences) - the two 3DLabs chips can get very hot when running (even with the sink on the Glint). The ALi chip (on the back on your card) can also get fairly warm, as can the FET by the IBM DAC (I'm assuming since its in the same place on both, it serves the same function). In general having a fan providing airflow for the board is good enough IME, but putting the card in a fan-less or nearly fan-less case is not a good idea IME.

As far as those "weird IBM chips" - the Diamond site identifies them as 220MHz IBM 526 LUT DACs, but I couldn't find any information dumping that into a search engine. 😊 Under bright light I could read off of the IBM DAC on my card:

37RGB526DB22 
5OH5062

IBM 9314

PALETTE DAC
19716005VA

I'm assuming that "526" makes them the same, but I don't know. Looking up "IBM 9314 Palette DAC" returns a lot of other cards with a similar looking chip and various GPUs though.