VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24580 of 52786, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been grabbing some stuff for the past week or so.... Waited to post so you people wouldn't go do eBay searches and bid on some of this stuff. 🤣
Got these couple of motherboards specifically for the Epox EP-MVP3G5 (2MB L2 cache). The other board is a MSI K7T Turbo V. 3 that needs caps replaced. I put in an offer and it was accepted. Got it for a really good price.

Epox.jpg
Filename
Epox.jpg
File size
402.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Another lot of motherboards. This lot had been listed for a while and I jumped on it when the seller lowered the price. Nine boards total.. but I wanted the lot for the one on the left in this potato pic. Anybody recognize what it is?

guess.jpg
Filename
guess.jpg
File size
272.65 KiB
Views
File license

This lot of fans/heatsinks. I wasn't the only bidder.. but I still got a great deal considering how much 486 and socket 7/370 heatsinks go for lately.

yummy.jpg
Filename
yummy.jpg
File size
401.22 KiB
Views
File license

A lot of 45 video cards. Sold as scrap. A few cards had a few smd components knocked off in shipping, but most survived just fine. Still have to test.
The best so far in this lot are:
V1 4MB
PCI ATI x1550
TSENG ET6000

pile-o-cards.jpg
Filename
pile-o-cards.jpg
File size
139.34 KiB
Views
File license

A Green Math 4C87DX-40. Hoping this works in my Wang Alliance 386sx-25 system. Yeah, I know it will only run at 25Mhz, but whatever.

4C87DX-40.jpg
Filename
4C87DX-40.jpg
File size
134.73 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-08-06, 05:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24581 of 52786, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A Voodoo 2-12MB for way cheaper than they normally go for. Now I need to finally finish fixing my other v2-12MB. Will a 90Mhz and a 100Mhz V2 work in SLI?

v2-12mb.jpg
Filename
v2-12mb.jpg
File size
469.18 KiB
Views
File license

Music Quest intelligent midi card.. with v.008 firmware. The only versions I have seen mentioned before are v.004 and v.010. I already have a v.010.

v008.jpg
Filename
v008.jpg
File size
293.09 KiB
Views
File license

Music Quest MQX-32m intelligent midi card - will have to make a cable for this.

mqx-32m.jpg
Filename
mqx-32m.jpg
File size
305.28 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24582 of 52786, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And now for something I came across and since there is so little information about it I am guessing it is really rare.
An Altec Lansing AMC2000 multimedia CD-ROM system. This sucker retailed for $700 back in the day.
From looking at the driver packages, this sucker is also a sound card with some sort of midi synth built in. The sound card portion is listed s a "DSP Solutions sound card" according to the driver package.
It also has external midi support as well as a gameport.
And it has speakers built in to boot. Basically an all-in-one sound solution for old laptops.
This model uses SCSI for the CD-ROM. The lower model which was released later used some form of IDE.
Unsure if it supports real DOS mode.. but the Windows 3.1 driver readme does mention that it modifies the config.sys and autoexec.bat files so it just might.
I'll try to post about it in the PCMCIA sound card thread once I have been able to test it. I am still waiting for it to arrive.

front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
291.82 KiB
Views
File license
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
266.17 KiB
Views
File license
acc.jpg
Filename
acc.jpg
File size
243.96 KiB
Views
File license
pcmcia.jpg
Filename
pcmcia.jpg
File size
312.48 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-08-06, 05:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24583 of 52786, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dickkickem wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Picked this lot up today mostly for the 286-12 in the bottom right corner. The Gateway on the very left, though, is loaded up with full and half height SCSI drives and a three internal connector SCSI controller. All the Gateways are P-II models I believe at a quick glance. Some are basic P4 systems. Other than the 286-12 the rest I have no use for so I might part these out. Plan on cleaning up the 286-12 which is in excellent shape.

computerlot.jpeg

You can never escape from those P4 Dell Dimensions.

🤣 So true. You can't even give them away for the price of shipping. Those will probably get scrapped. I have no room for them.

Reply 24584 of 52786, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
dickkickem wrote:

🤣 So true. You can't even give them away for the price of shipping. Those will probably get scrapped. I have no room for them.

I actually find those older Dells interesting. Are any of them Pentium IIIs or are they all Pentium 4s? I know that the midnight-grey case design started being a thing in the late P3-era so I thought it'd be worth a shot to ask. If you end up not having a use for their motherboards and power supplies, feel free to let me know because I could use some spare Dell parts just in case.

@dickkickem Those are Optiplexes, not Dimensions.

Reply 24585 of 52786, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah.. almost forgot this one. Already have one of these.. but this came up at a really good price and looks to be in really good shape.

open.jpg
Filename
open.jpg
File size
403.15 KiB
Views
File license
with_acc.jpg
Filename
with_acc.jpg
File size
439.24 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24586 of 52786, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

... but I wanted the lot for the one on the left in this potato pic. Anybody recognize what it is?

That sticker on the northbridge... hmmmm... FIC VA-503+?

Looks like you have some caps to replace, though.

Reply 24587 of 52786, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
liqmat wrote:
dickkickem wrote:

I actually find those older Dells interesting. Are any of them Pentium IIIs or are they all Pentium 4s? I know that the midnight-grey case design started being a thing in the late P3-era so I thought it'd be worth a shot to ask. If you end up not having a use for their motherboards and power supplies, feel free to let me know because I could use some spare Dell parts just in case.

I have no use for them so I will PM you pics and specs this week.

Reply 24588 of 52786, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SW-SSG wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

... but I wanted the lot for the one on the left in this potato pic. Anybody recognize what it is?

That sticker on the northbridge... hmmmm... FIC VA-503+?

Looks like you have some caps to replace, though.

Yep VA-503+ Cap replacement is easy-peasy. For $20 + shipping for the lot I couldn't resist.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24589 of 52786, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up an Athlon 64 FX-57 for some maximum single core goodness. $32 shipped (no original box, sadly). 😄

Also got a Compaq 213859-001 1MB video RAM upgrade module for my Compaq 9232 for $5.25 shipped, brand new in OEM sealed packaging. Kind of pointless since I'm running a Matrox Millennium II in it, but I am just working on decking out my first PC I ever owned with some of the parts it never came with.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 24590 of 52786, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
And now for something I came across and since there is so little information about it I am guessing it is really rare. An Altec […]
Show full quote

And now for something I came across and since there is so little information about it I am guessing it is really rare.
An Altec Lansing AMC2000 multimedia CD-ROM system. This sucker retailed for $700 back in the day.
From looking at the driver packages, this sucker is also a sound card with some sort of midi synth built in. The sound card portion is listed s a "DSP Solutions sound card" according to the driver package.
It also has external midi support as well as a gameport.
And it has speakers built in to boot. Basically an all-in-one sound solution for old laptops.
This model uses SCSI for the CD-ROM. The lower model which was released later used some form of IDE.
Unsure if it supports real DOS mode.. but the Windows 3.1 driver readme does mention that it modifies the config.ses and autoexec.bat files so it just might.
I'll try to post about it in the PCMCIA sound card thread once I have been able to test it. I am still waiting for it to arrive.

front.jpg
back.jpg
acc.jpg
pcmcia.jpg

I love crazy things like this. Looking forward to reading more about this when you get it. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 24591 of 52786, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aberration wrote:

Todays flea market finds.

I hope the Maxtor drive works, because it's not one of the best manufacturers out there... 🤣

Reply 24592 of 52786, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

every hdd manufacturer had a bad period 😀 eg the ibm did the best drives at the end of the 90s, and they created the "deathstar" 75gxp. or the fireballs were the fastest drives in the middle of the 90s, finally they created very low end products with this name.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 24593 of 52786, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

Only P3 Dells known to use the clamsheel case are the Optiplex GX150 and the GX50, the GX150 uses the i815E chipset with AGP port while the GX50 uses i810E without AGP, some later GX150s can take Tualatins as well

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 24594 of 52786, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I arranged for the pickup of a Matrox Mystique G200 8MB PCI for a few bucks. I doubt I will ever use it, but these late PCI/early 3D accelerator cards really fascinate me (Rage Pro, TNT, G200, Savage4 - heck, even the GF2MX, Radeon 7500, G450). I have quite a few Socket 7 and i810 systems and some mITX boards that could use decent PCI VGA cards, so maybe one day I will put them to use after all..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24595 of 52786, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

Only P3 Dells known to use the clamsheel case are the Optiplex GX150 and the GX50, the GX150 uses the i815E chipset with AGP port while the GX50 uses i810E without AGP, some later GX150s can take Tualatins as well

You are correct. Opened all three today and all are P-III/133/1GHz machines. Two with 512MB and one with 256MB. Al the hard drives were in a state of failure (probably from being moved around in the past). All the internals look to be in perfect shape and very clean surprisingly. The IDE performance on these Optiplex machines are notoriously sluggish, but a SCSI or fast IDE controller is easy to add.

Reply 24596 of 52786, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a complete in case Magnavox EasyCam CVS315AV VHS shouldercam at the flea market for $10. It....somewhat works. Without a tape, the viewfinder lights up and it ejects, but it does nothing else in either camera or VCR mode. However, on external video, I can see a flash when setting it to camera mode. With a tape inserted, it can play it, but it plays at a much higher speed than normal and is distorted all to hell. I'm trying to find help troubleshooting it.

(Video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYarWZZSd7w)

Attachments

• 20180804_141945.jpg
    Filename
    20180804_141945.jpg
    File size
    975.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20180806_000835.jpg
    Filename
    20180806_000835.jpg
    File size
    451.77 KiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 24597 of 52786, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Boxed Sound Galaxy NX Pro 16 with Turtle Beach RIO daughterboard with an unknown sized SIPP. No documentation or any accessories besides the disks according to the listing.

card.jpg
Filename
card.jpg
File size
242.76 KiB
Views
File license
RIO.jpg
Filename
RIO.jpg
File size
157.53 KiB
Views
File license
box.jpg
Filename
box.jpg
File size
153.23 KiB
Views
File license
box sides.jpg
Filename
box sides.jpg
File size
161.53 KiB
Views
File license
disks.jpg
Filename
disks.jpg
File size
107.45 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24598 of 52786, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

There's the Dell Dimension 4200 which uses the same clamshell case as the Dimension 4300-4550 and uses Pentium IIIs like the models you've mentioned.

Reply 24599 of 52786, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I stopped by several Goodwills and found... nothing.

Then, after stopping by KFC to pick up some supper, I spotted another Goodwill, and decided to give it a try...

There were 3 monitors there; two Dells and a Sony. The Sony had what I think was a DVI cable.

They wanted $9.99 for the Sony and one of the Dells, and $7.97 for the other Dell. So I got the two Dells..

One was an ST2010b: 20 inch, 1600 x 900 display according to the specs.
The other was an E170Sc: 17 inch, 4:3 aspect ratio, 1280 x 1024 resolution.

Got them home, plugged in the E170Sc... worked beautifully with both DOS and Windows XP.
Tried the ST2010b... also worked beautifully with XP.
The ST2010b has inputs for both VGA and HDMI.

But two excellent working LCD monitors I can use with my vintage computers... for about $19 after tax.

Don't know what year the E170Sc is; I assume the ST2010 is from... 2010. I'm guessing the E170Sc is a lot older.