Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22860 of 52844, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

^ It's one of my favorites too - someone made recently a colorization hack that is pretty impressive!

In case you didn't notice, that is actually the color-hacked version I bought. 😉

Reply 22861 of 52844, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote:
My first good find. Got it for 1/5th of what the last one went for on ebay, from a Taiwanese auction site. A 3DO Blaster. :) […]
Show full quote

My first good find. Got it for 1/5th of what the last one went for on ebay, from a Taiwanese auction site. A 3DO Blaster. 😀

lDIEYyv.png

*jaw drops* I've never seen a card like that before. Could it be that you can play 3DO games with that thing? Excellent score, man.

Also, I saw one on eBay going for more than what my car's worth. I'll be happy if I find one at a thrift store with everything for a great price (but sadly, I only have a 52x CD-ROM, not a 1x or so CD-ROM drive).

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2018-04-11, 18:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22862 of 52844, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:
keropi wrote:

^ It's one of my favorites too - someone made recently a colorization hack that is pretty impressive!

In case you didn't notice, that is actually the color-hacked version I bought. 😉

😮

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22863 of 52844, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sketchus wrote:
Not quite retro by the standards of the site, but I got this which I thought was pretty cool: […]
Show full quote

Not quite retro by the standards of the site, but I got this which I thought was pretty cool:

0AfeziM.jpg?3

Sealed original Xbox 😀

Is that first run with the Duke controller? I once scored one like that with the Duke controller a few years back sealed NIB. I know many don't like the Duke controller, but I absolutely loved it.

Reply 22864 of 52844, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote:
My first good find. Got it for 1/5th of what the last one went for on ebay, from a Taiwanese auction site. A 3DO Blaster. :) […]
Show full quote

My first good find. Got it for 1/5th of what the last one went for on ebay, from a Taiwanese auction site. A 3DO Blaster. 😀

lDIEYyv.png

Very noice!

I would remind everyone, though, you can run 3DO game discs directly from a PC and an emulator. The discs read directly and Phoenix Project is a fantastic emulator, but make sure to download the English translation so you can read the software menus.

http://ngemu.com/threads/phoenix-project-3do- … english.191753/

Reply 22865 of 52844, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:
sketchus wrote:
Not quite retro by the standards of the site, but I got this which I thought was pretty cool: […]
Show full quote

Not quite retro by the standards of the site, but I got this which I thought was pretty cool:

0AfeziM.jpg?3

Sealed original Xbox 😀

Is that first run with the Duke controller? I once scored one like that with the Duke controller a few years back sealed NIB. I know many don't like the Duke controller, but I absolutely loved it.

It's definitely with the Duke controller, can't say if it's a 1.0 I think this the 1.1. I also love the Duke!

I was pretty thrilled to find it, it was the exact version I had as a young un.

Reply 22866 of 52844, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:
Very noice! […]
Show full quote
furan wrote:
Show full quote

lDIEYyv.png

Very noice!

I would remind everyone, though, you can run 3DO game discs directly from a PC and an emulator. The discs read directly and Phoenix Project is a fantastic emulator, but make sure to download the English translation so you can read the software menus.

Will it work on my 486? 😉

Reply 22867 of 52844, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote:
liqmat wrote:
Very noice! […]
Show full quote
furan wrote:
Show full quote

lDIEYyv.png

Very noice!

Will it work on my 486? 😉

Ha! The emulator? Oh heck no. You need a pretty modern machine to get a decent framerate. It's just a good thing to know since those 3DO cards go for the price of a car nowadays.

Last edited by liqmat on 2018-04-11, 19:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22868 of 52844, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sketchus wrote:
liqmat wrote:
sketchus wrote:
Show full quote

0AfeziM.jpg?3

Sealed original Xbox 😀

It's definitely with the Duke controller, can't say if it's a 1.0 I think this the 1.1. I also love the Duke!

Very good find and pretty rare to find a Duke system still sealed. I don't know what you paid, but I have seen sealed Duke original Xboxes go for north of $600.

Reply 22870 of 52844, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sketchus wrote:

Sealed original Xbox 😀

Speaking of which... I know you will probably want to keep it sealed, BUT remember the clock capacitor is famous for leaking and removal is fairly easy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comment … box_remove_the/

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cdR8Ryn4wE

Reply 22871 of 52844, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ohhh my...
How lucky can one get in one week. Yet another TNT2-Ultra. 😳 😜
Same model and maker, yet from a different part of the country.
(Sellers picture's)

TNT2-Ultra-50kr-01.jpg
Filename
TNT2-Ultra-50kr-01.jpg
File size
112.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
TNT2-Ultra-50kr-02.jpg
Filename
TNT2-Ultra-50kr-02.jpg
File size
82.98 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 22872 of 52844, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
Speaking of which... I know you will probably want to keep it sealed, BUT remember the clock capacitor is famous for leaking and […]
Show full quote
sketchus wrote:

Sealed original Xbox 😀

Speaking of which... I know you will probably want to keep it sealed, BUT remember the clock capacitor is famous for leaking and removal is fairly easy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comment … box_remove_the/

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cdR8Ryn4wE

This is why I'm thankful I have the v1.6b Xbox Original that I got for my 15th Birthday back in 2006, and it still works after replacing a dead HDD and bad PSU. Next thing to fix will be the DVD-ROM drive.

Reply 22873 of 52844, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sketchus wrote:
Show full quote

0AfeziM.jpg?3

Sealed original Xbox 😀

Awesome! I just got into one of these myself & it's quickly becoming one of my favorite consoles. SO many good games on this thing if you go beyond the usual Halo + EA Sports crap and they are DIRT CHEAP right now. Plus the MAD homebrew scene. Jet Set Radio Future is a masterpiece.

I'm waiting for the 30-day warrantee from my local game shop to run out and then I'm busting mine WIDE open - softmod + TSOP flash + 160GB HDD + de-capping + unofficial dev kit 😉 Should be fun.

I also prefer the Duke controller, I tested both versions in the shop when I got it but the smaller one just felt awkward and cramped. The Duke is a lot like the Dreamcast controller, great for beat 'em ups.

furan wrote:
Show full quote

lDIEYyv.png

DUDE! Holy grail hardware right there. Glad you found one for a good price. Perfect combo of my favorite 5th-gen console (fuck your Playstation, more like lamestation amiright??) and the "throw everything at the wall & see what sticks" approach to PC peripherals of the time. I would go nuts for one of those, I've been hoarding the CD-ROM it needs for YEARS but still hoping to luck into the card itself.

Guess I'm gonna have to be happy with my dev system (debugging / testing station) for a while though. 😉

3do.jpg
Filename
3do.jpg
File size
237.04 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22874 of 52844, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got back from 5 days in the sub-Arctic to find the postman had been - my set of cards I was able to nab because I was the only one prepared to take them all rather than insisting on cherry-picking or splitting. Now a game: guess which three I was really after (one is pretty obvious though 😉 )

full.png

NIC
Edimax EN9130TX (Realtek RTL8139C) PCI 100MbE UTP
Farallon 8960785-00-02 (DEC 21041 'Tulip') PCI 10MbE UTP
3Com 3C900B-C Etherlink XL PCI 10MbE AUI, BNC, UTP
LANKom LF-161C (Realtek RTL8019AS) 16b ISA 10MbE UTP
ANI (?) Ether-16 16b ISA 10MbE BNC, UTP

I/O
"RT-1503-1" UMC/Promise VLB Multi I/O (with silkscreen jumper settings printed onto the bit that goes into the 9-16b ISA slot...)
Target "31109" Winbond 16b ISA Multi I/O (very late - QA sticker indicates september 1998)
Adaptec AVA-1505/EFIGS (Adaptec AIC-6360Q) 16b ISA SE SCSI
DTC 7187 16b ISA ST-506 (RLL) controller - with BootROM (on 16b? why?)
ASC-88 (AMD AM5380PC) 8b ISA SE SCSI with BootROM
Seagate ST-11M 8b ISA ST-506 (MFM) controller with BootROM

VGA
Matrox G550 AGP 32MB
ATi Rage 128 Utra AGP 16MB
ATi 3D Charger (3D Rage II DVD) PCI 4MB
DFI WG-3120P (S3 Trio64) PCI 1MB
Morse KP1000A EVGA (Trident TVGA8900B) ISA 512kB
Diamond Viper VLB (Oak OTI087X+Weitek 9000) VLB 256kB + 2MB

In the background are two heatsinks unrelated to the rest:
Tiny "for chipset" 40mm HSF (should be able to keep my IBM 486DX4 cool)
Zalman CNPS3100 heatsink (with original bracket + 90mm fan)

Reply 22875 of 52844, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Won a Sound Card bundle the other day and received it on Monday:

vtxxtEbl.jpg

Sound Blaster Live! Platinum 5.1 SB0060 with the whole 9 yards (I/O bracket, games, software, cables, microphone, and so on). Totally worth it!

Reply 22876 of 52844, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:
Awesome! I just got into one of these myself & it's quickly becoming one of my favorite consoles. SO many good games on this thi […]
Show full quote

Awesome! I just got into one of these myself & it's quickly becoming one of my favorite consoles. SO many good games on this thing if you go beyond the usual Halo + EA Sports crap and they are DIRT CHEAP right now. Plus the MAD homebrew scene. Jet Set Radio Future is a masterpiece.

I'm waiting for the 30-day warrantee from my local game shop to run out and then I'm busting mine WIDE open - softmod + TSOP flash + 160GB HDD + de-capping + unofficial dev kit 😉 Should be fun.

I also prefer the Duke controller, I tested both versions in the shop when I got it but the smaller one just felt awkward and cramped. The Duke is a lot like the Dreamcast controller, great for beat 'em ups.

liqmat wrote:

Great to see some love for the OG Xbox! I paid for it less than 600 dollars, but not much less. Well actually it was in pounds but still!

I decided today perhaps against my better judgement to slice open the seal and open the Xbox. Luckily I was able to peel the warranty stickers back without breaking them and remove the cap. Did it all while wearing gloves. I realise I have significantly lessened the value of the console, but to be honest it was always my intention to keep this Xbox.

Reply 22877 of 52844, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sketchus wrote:
xjas wrote:
Awesome! I just got into one of these myself & it's quickly becoming one of my favorite consoles. SO many good games on this thi […]
Show full quote

liqmat wrote:

Great to see some love for the OG Xbox! I paid for it less than 600 dollars, but not much less. Well actually it was in pounds but still!

I decided today perhaps against my better judgement to slice open the seal and open the Xbox. Luckily I was able to peel the warranty stickers back without breaking them and remove the cap. Did it all while wearing gloves. I realise I have significantly lessened the value of the console, but to be honest it was always my intention to keep this Xbox.

Sounds like the cap did not leak and that is GREAT news!!! An opened Xbox is a fun Xbox ancient Chinese prophecy says.

Reply 22878 of 52844, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:
Won a Sound Card bundle the other day and received it on Monday: […]
Show full quote

Won a Sound Card bundle the other day and received it on Monday:

vtxxtEbl.jpg

Sound Blaster Live! Platinum 5.1 SB0060 with the whole 9 yards (I/O bracket, games, software, cables, microphone, and so on). Totally worth it!

So I have to ask. Which system are you putting it in and what happened to the box? 🤣

Reply 22879 of 52844, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Traded away a Radeon 8500 and a Voodoo 3 1000 for a 486 motherboard with PCI slots and a TI 486 DX2-66; still not sure if I got the worse deal or not, but I need 486 motherboards 🙁

Can anyone help me identify the board I got?

Attachments

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-04-11, 22:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.