Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-02, 15:55:
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-02, 15:54:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-02, 15:35:
Added these two little gems to my GPU collection today […]
Show full quote

Added these two little gems to my GPU collection today

ELSA Erazor III Pro 32MB AGP 4X (Tnt2 Pro)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Is that a gameport ? never seen a large connector like that on a GPU.

ASUS AGP V7100PRO/PURE/32MB (Geforce 2 MX400)

s-l1600.jpg

Also looking at a Diamond Fusion Banshee from the same seller, but really want a Voodoo 3 3000, the MX400 was all of 8 USD which is a steal and I have always wanted at least one ELSA card in my collection. The MX400 will likely end up in my SS7 build if the GeForce 4 I'm repairing fails. (The MX400 is likely to be overkill for a SS7 machine let alone the GF4 ti 4600)

I can't tell for sure from the overhead shot provided, but given the period of this card's release, I am guessing it is VESA P&D out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Plug_and_Display

Hmm wonder how you would go about using that connector.

Adapters are available. The Voodoo 3500 has a similar pin compatible, but proprietarily slightly odd-shaped connector. The P&D adapter can be massaged to fit the Voodoo 3500 out so it can be directly connected to VGA without the breakout box. Since you have VGA on the card already, you probably have little use for this connector unless you want to go out and get a very period correct flat panel. The P&D is basically a show piece for you at this point. Nice card, in any event.

Last edited by Meatball on 2022-02-02, 16:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 42241 of 52818, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Also looking at a Diamond Fusion Banshee from the same seller, but really want a Voodoo 3 3000, the MX400 was all of 8 USD which is a steal and I have always wanted at least one ELSA card in my collection. The MX400 will likely end up in my SS7 build if the GeForce 4 I'm repairing fails. (The MX400 is likely to be overkill for a SS7 machine let alone the GF4 ti 4600)

I can't tell for sure from the overhead shot provided, but given the period of this card's release, I am guessing it is VESA P&D out:

Sounds like it handled video input as well as output: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/erazor3pro

[edit: slightly better description here: http://www.combatsim.com/htm/oct99/elsa1.htm
pictures make it look like a standard 15 pin dsub, but it came with an adapter to break out the various inputs and outputs, and I haven't yet found a pinout for it. Shouldn't be too hard to work out once the card's up and running and you can see what pins have video out on them]

[damn this is annoying. Looking through the manual, it gives the pinout for the VGA port, but not the video in/out port. Why do that? Document the well documented port and no document the special unique port?]

Last edited by snufkin on 2022-02-02, 16:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42242 of 52818, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snufkin wrote on 2022-02-02, 15:59:
Sounds like it handled video input as well as output: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/erazor3pro […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Sounds like it handled video input as well as output: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/erazor3pro

[edit: slightly better description here: http://www.combatsim.com/htm/oct99/elsa1.htm
pictures make it look like a standard 15 pin dsub, but it came with an adapter to break out the various inputs and outputs, and I haven't yet found a pinout for it. Shouldn't be too hard to work out once the card's up and running and you can see what pins have video out on them]

Not even close to P&D, then. Nice info find!

Reply 42243 of 52818, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sounds like it handled video input as well as output: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/erazor3pro […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

[damn this is annoying. Looking through the manual, it gives the pinout for the VGA port, but not the video in/out port. Why do that? Document the well documented port and no document the special unique port?]

Guess Ill have to keep an eye out for the breakout cable and the 3d glasses !

Reply 42244 of 52818, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-02, 16:14:
Show full quote

Also, keep an eye out for Leprechauns. You'll probably find one of those, first!

Reply 42245 of 52818, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-02, 16:18:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-02, 16:14:
Show full quote

Also, keep an eye out for Leprechauns. You'll probably find one of those, first!

You never know what will show up on eBay . .I have found some of the strangest things there.

Reply 42246 of 52818, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
snufkin wrote on 2022-02-02, 15:55:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-02, 01:44:
HanSolo wrote on 2022-02-01, 23:21:

With the third CPU I accidentally ripped out one pin including the pad while trying to fix them even if I didn't use much force and was pretty careful 🙁 I was hoping the processor would still work since that pin is only 'ground' according to what I found, but unfortunately it won't post.

Tualatins2.jpg

Any ideas if this can be fixed? The 1266-version is not super-rare or -expensive but I don't want to simply give up on it 😀

What I would try on that is a single strand out of a small cable and tacking that tiny little gold nub you can see in there to the nearest other ground pin.

Worth a shot at putting a tiny dab of low temperature solder paste on the tiny stub, then heating the chip from the other side until it melts? Never tried it and it might need to get it too hot, but at least you'd know the stub was hot enough for the solder to wet it if it works. If that worked then it would be easier to wire to the nearest ground (across one and down one I think).

Right... approach I might take is get a fresh scalpel/Xacto blade and gently carve a slight ditch around the gold spot, super careful, not too deep, just to give a bit more contact area and mechanical support... then blob it with 180C or lower solder paste, no point testing IMO, just go for it, so put the wire strand in place and blob that too, then get the end well inserted in the blob over the broken pin... then for heat I'd use a domestic iron on the cotton setting which theoretically goes to 200-205.. now I'd mount that upside down, real securely, and while it's cold figure how to have that and the cpu supported and have the backside of that edge of the pins on the straight bit of the iron's sole. At go time, don't plug it in right away, set it to cotton, put the CPU in place cold, now plug it in or switch on the outlet (Use high wattage power bar if you need that for switch) and watch the solder really carefully... when it flows both ends, give it a count of 10 and then turn off the iron, leave everything in place while it cools off. ... if you hear the iron thermostat tinking on and off a lot while the solder still isn't flowing, you might need to tweak the knob up a little higher. Just thought, do not apply a force that clamps the side of the heatspreader against the side of the iron, this may displace heatspreader when everything gets hot.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42247 of 52818, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first ever slot-A rig with Asus K7M and 700MHz Athlon. Now pondering between Voodoo 3 3000 and TNT2.

Attachments

• IMG_20220202_185401.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220202_185401.jpg
    File size
    1.83 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 42248 of 52818, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why does nobody ever consider the Rage Fury MAXXXXXX 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42250 of 52818, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this absolute beast : a Packard Bell Chrom@ laptop.

Specs:

Processor
Intel Pentium III at 700 MHz

Processor cache memory
256 KB

Processor frequency
700 MHz / 100 MHz

Storage capacity
20 GB

Screen size (inches)
15 " / 38.1 cm

Installed RAM
128 MB SDRAM

Maximum installable RAM
256 MB SDRAM

Graphics Card
ATI Rage Mobility M1

Dedicated video memory
8 MB VRAM

Maximum resolution of the graphics card
1024x768

Drive / Writer
6x DVD-ROM

Connectivity
1 Serial ATA
3 USB
1 RJ-11 modem
1 S-Video

Software provided
Microsoft Word 2000, Works 2000 and Money 2000, Norton AntiVirus 2000, Ulead Video Studio 4 and Photo Express 3, Rally Championship 2000... more than 20 titles, Software provided: Microsoft Word 2000, Works 2000 and Money 2000, Norton AntiVirus 2000, Ulead Video Studio 4 and Photo Express 3, Rally Championship 2000... more than 20 titles

Operating system
Microsoft Windows ME

Other features
Built-in microphone

Number of built-in speakers

Additional features
Media buttons, bass boost with Dolby Digital 5.1, Case type : Portable - Notebook, Display technology : TFT Active Matrix, Sound card : Yamaha YMF 754B 64 voices, Pointing device : TouchPad

Product height
277 mm (5.5 inches)

Product Width
39 mm (1.5 inches)

Show last 21 lines
Product weight
4,1 Kg

Product width
39 mm

Product height
277 mm

Product weight
4,1 Kg

Software supplied
Microsoft Word 2000, Works 2000 and Money 2000, Norton AntiVirus 2000, Ulead Video Studio 4 and Photo Express 3, Rally Championship 2000... more than 20 titles, Software provided: Microsoft Word 2000, Works 2000 and Money 2000, Norton AntiVirus 2000, Ulead Video Studio 4 and Photo Express 3, Rally Championship 2000... more than 20 titles

Product length
375 mm

Legal Notice
The local Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) quantifies the user's exposure to electromagnetic waves from the equipment concerned. The maximum permissible SAR is 2 W/kg for the head and trunk and 4 W/kg for the limbs.

(Seller's photos)

A second time.

This time, I won't be putting 40 years old musky floppy disks anywhere around its floppy drive.
Maybe I'll put a Linux distro on it, as the first one still works just fine with Windows 98SE and native DOS games (with sound). The keyboard is so good, I'd like to code with it...
Once again however, a replacement battery will be absolutely impossible to find. It will have to be used with the power cord attached to a power source, or not at all.

Attachments

• packard bell 3.jpg
    Filename
    packard bell 3.jpg
    File size
    94.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • packard bell 2.jpg
    Filename
    packard bell 2.jpg
    File size
    44.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • packard bell 1.jpg
    Filename
    packard bell 1.jpg
    File size
    72.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by xcomcmdr on 2022-02-02, 20:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42251 of 52818, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is something about that Chrom@ laptop that is just aesthetically pleasing.

oh, and thanks for the windows Millennium cd key. ^.^

As for the battery, if you decide its worth the effort, replacing the cells in the pack is the most common option. In a nutshell, the process involves a cutting open the pack, removing the cells without damaging the internal circuitry/wiring, and putting it back together with new cells. In most cases i've personally dealt with, the cells are either "C" size or 18650.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 42252 of 52818, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$_84.JPG

I bought a wonderfully looking Pentium II 333. The motherboard is great as well but I bought it specifically for the form factor. The inside of the case is extremely tidy with no wires in the way - everything is neatly tucked & cable tied to the edge of the case. I was amazed to see a PC this old that looks so neat & tidy inside.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 42253 of 52818, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slot load!

Reply 42254 of 52818, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-02, 17:00:
snufkin wrote on 2022-02-02, 15:55:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-02, 01:44:

What I would try on that is a single strand out of a small cable and tacking that tiny little gold nub you can see in there to the nearest other ground pin.

Worth a shot at putting a tiny dab of low temperature solder paste on the tiny stub, then heating the chip from the other side until it melts? Never tried it and it might need to get it too hot, but at least you'd know the stub was hot enough for the solder to wet it if it works. If that worked then it would be easier to wire to the nearest ground (across one and down one I think).

Right... approach I might take is get a fresh scalpel/Xacto blade and gently carve a slight ditch around the gold spot, super careful, not too deep, just to give a bit more contact area and mechanical support... then blob it with 180C or lower solder paste, no point testing IMO, just go for it, so put the wire strand in place and blob that too, then get the end well inserted in the blob over the broken pin... then for heat I'd use a domestic iron on the cotton setting which theoretically goes to 200-205.. now I'd mount that upside down, real securely, and while it's cold figure how to have that and the cpu supported and have the backside of that edge of the pins on the straight bit of the iron's sole. At go time, don't plug it in right away, set it to cotton, put the CPU in place cold, now plug it in or switch on the outlet (Use high wattage power bar if you need that for switch) and watch the solder really carefully... when it flows both ends, give it a count of 10 and then turn off the iron, leave everything in place while it cools off. ... if you hear the iron thermostat tinking on and off a lot while the solder still isn't flowing, you might need to tweak the knob up a little higher. Just thought, do not apply a force that clamps the side of the heatspreader against the side of the iron, this may displace heatspreader when everything gets hot.

Thank you all for all this input. A connection to another ground pin sounds like a good idea.

All this (connecting pins) just brought back memories of the Tualatin-Mod back in the days when a friend and I were trying to get a Tualatin working on an Abit BX133 😀
(In the end it worked but wasn't stable)

Reply 42255 of 52818, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought the Compaq Armada 7792DMT.
I have a crush on white laptops, but this one needs some help. Keyboard, trackpoint and hinges needs a magic touch.

E48A3691-1D7C-402D-994D-673B182C42BB.jpeg
Filename
E48A3691-1D7C-402D-994D-673B182C42BB.jpeg
File size
646.02 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 42256 of 52818, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-02, 17:18:

Hah.. I have one but not sure what kind of build I would want it in.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 42258 of 52818, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-02, 17:18:

I tried to buy one as part of a lot of cards but I felt like the final price was way too high for a possibly dead Fury Maxx and some mediocre cards.

Reply 42259 of 52818, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only know about the thing from reviews and benchies, but it seems to me that it only has it's dual GPU potential MAXX out on a few titles and you may as well run a Rage Fury Pro the rest of the time. So add silly pricing to that and I can see why they don't get that much love.