VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 46600 of 52680, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-11, 01:07:
Zip100 arrived today after having to go on an extended trip due to being sent to the wrong person and .. its broken, looks like […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-09-21, 08:01:
Havent had a huge opportunity to trawl the vintage stuff on the bay of late but I did see a few nice things to throw at my retro […]
Show full quote

Havent had a huge opportunity to trawl the vintage stuff on the bay of late but I did see a few nice things to throw at my retro rigs, one I cant find much about and the other is a nice Yamaha Xwave 744 sound card.

STB Horizon64.png

I cant find a lot about this card on the web other than it uses the Sierra Falcon 64 chipset which I have never heard of before or ever used but the little I can find suggests its fast but buggy, in any case its an interesting bit of gear to have and im curious to see what DOS incompatibilities it has, going to put it up against the ARK1000PV and 2000PV to see just how it compares.

Yamaha Xwave.jpg

I dont have a XG 7XX PCI based card in my sound card box so when I saw this one for 20USD I grabbed it, hopefully I can locate all the software that it originally came with.

Bonus
Bought this ATAPI Zip100 with 4 disks just Today for 50AUD, I already have one SCSI Zip100 but its pretty much useless without a second one and a few disks to copy files between machines.

Zip100.jpg

Bonus Bonus

Forgot I got this a week back a Savage 4 Pro 32mb PCI, its one of the Creative versions and itll be heading to my DOS/9x machine collection where all my PCI GPUs hide. (The one I received was still sealed in its hard shell cover which was a bonus)

Savage4 Pro.jpg

Going to use this to play around with S3TC.

Zip100 arrived today after having to go on an extended trip due to being sent to the wrong person and .. its broken, looks like it took a hit and its snapped the front facia off the drive, no idea if it works as the 4 discs were not with it. Have contacted the seller so hopefully we can sort it out, Id give it a power on test but the internals rattle a fair bit so its possible it suffered other damage, it was packed rather well too so I'm surprised it got broken.

Oh well, guess ill have to get another and find some 100 and 250 discs.

Zip100.jpg

-I guess I could also just find 2 LS120 drives ..then I can still use my 1.44mb floppy discs in them and they might survive the postal system better 😁

I have 2 of these IDE zip drives, one rattles and one doesnt. They both work fine though. Sucks it got beat up in the mail.

Reply 46601 of 52680, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EvieSigma wrote on 2022-10-10, 22:36:

Picked up a couple systems at the VCF swap meet held in NJ this Saturday. There's still plenty of work to be done with these, and finding the hard drive caddy for the Unisys laptop is probably impossible, but I got some great stuff for not a ton of money!

https://imgur.com/gallery/h5NNwLe

I really wanted to go to this but it was a 3hr drive. I have one of those Proliant 800's. Ran it as a web server for years way back. Absolutely solid machine.

Reply 46602 of 52680, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Veeb0rg wrote on 2022-10-11, 04:06:
Zip100 arrived today after having to go on an extended trip due to being sent to the wrong person and .. its broken, looks like […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-09-21, 08:01:
Havent had a huge opportunity to trawl the vintage stuff on the bay of late but I did see a few nice things to throw at my retro […]
Show full quote

Havent had a huge opportunity to trawl the vintage stuff on the bay of late but I did see a few nice things to throw at my retro rigs, one I cant find much about and the other is a nice Yamaha Xwave 744 sound card.

STB Horizon64.png

I cant find a lot about this card on the web other than it uses the Sierra Falcon 64 chipset which I have never heard of before or ever used but the little I can find suggests its fast but buggy, in any case its an interesting bit of gear to have and im curious to see what DOS incompatibilities it has, going to put it up against the ARK1000PV and 2000PV to see just how it compares.

Yamaha Xwave.jpg

I dont have a XG 7XX PCI based card in my sound card box so when I saw this one for 20USD I grabbed it, hopefully I can locate all the software that it originally came with.

Bonus
Bought this ATAPI Zip100 with 4 disks just Today for 50AUD, I already have one SCSI Zip100 but its pretty much useless without a second one and a few disks to copy files between machines.

Zip100.jpg

Bonus Bonus

Forgot I got this a week back a Savage 4 Pro 32mb PCI, its one of the Creative versions and itll be heading to my DOS/9x machine collection where all my PCI GPUs hide. (The one I received was still sealed in its hard shell cover which was a bonus)

Savage4 Pro.jpg

Going to use this to play around with S3TC.

Zip100 arrived today after having to go on an extended trip due to being sent to the wrong person and .. its broken, looks like it took a hit and its snapped the front facia off the drive, no idea if it works as the 4 discs were not with it. Have contacted the seller so hopefully we can sort it out, Id give it a power on test but the internals rattle a fair bit so its possible it suffered other damage, it was packed rather well too so I'm surprised it got broken.

Zip100.jpg

-I guess I could also just find 2 LS120 drives ..then I can still use my 1.44mb floppy discs in them and they might survive the postal system better 😁

I have 2 of these IDE zip drives, one rattles and one doesnt. They both work fine though. Sucks it got beat up in the mail.

Yeah the internal 250 I have rattles a bit but the rattle the beat up 100 makes is like a screw/bit of metal is loose in there, I cant seem to shake it out so its buried in the internals, if it wasn't for that metal screw sound Id power it up.

Seller has yet to contact me back about it so for now it getting left in one piece.

Reply 46603 of 52680, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up getting another 4 megabyte s3 trio 64 v2/dx , this time an ASUS one.
I'll need to order some ram to finish populating it.

20221011_161025 (3).jpg
Filename
20221011_161025 (3).jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 46604 of 52680, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-10-11, 04:11:
Veeb0rg wrote on 2022-10-11, 04:06:
Show full quote

Zip100.jpg

Yeah the internal 250 I have rattles a bit but the rattle the beat up 100 makes is like a screw/bit of metal is loose in there, I cant seem to shake it out so its buried in the internals, if it wasn't for that metal screw sound Id power it up.

Seller has yet to contact me back about it so for now it getting left in one piece.

The one I have that rattles is due to a loose pcb. Hopefully it something simple on yours and the drive survived or gets replaced!

Reply 46605 of 52680, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-10-05, 15:46:

Got this set of sound cards for total of around 45€.

There are quite a few interesting cards in this set that i didn't have yet.

One day... One day i'll find time to record all the popular FM synth songs with every card and will create a website with multitrack player that can play all of them and you can fade between cards. One day, i say!

Oh, an Mwave sound card! Interesting!

What is the card on the lower left?..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 46606 of 52680, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gmaverick2k wrote on 2022-10-10, 18:43:

KeyTronic Lifetime wireless keyboard beige bnib

omg, this keyboard is soo good. my original pc was a time branded keytronic 😀 the microsoft beige i bought was a pos, the space key was mushy. this feels perfect

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 46607 of 52680, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-08, 16:46:

Got this Casio CT-460. I believe this completes my collection of all the esoteric audio devices supported by early Sierra games.

I am still baffled as to how this is an officially supported device in those games, as it's clearly one of the least practical audio devices to use with a classic computer. Thought there is a surreal novelty hearing Sierra music being played by a Casio keyboard.

Careful or you might get the keyboard circuit bend bug. There is an entire subculture of circuit bending musical hobbyists that take those cheaper keyboards to new heights. Just search "casio circuit bending" or "keyboard circuit bending" and you will be amazed at what some people can do with those keyboards and a little electronics know-how.

Reply 46608 of 52680, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This super-nice trio of National (Panasonic) CCTV monitors (were working prior to shipping, I still need to test them if they were not damaged during shipping) along with original 19" rack mount.

I already know what I will use them for and what I will display on them -> https://youtu.be/H3J8FiLNEtc?t=58 (00:58!!!) 😁 as they are exactly correct size. Will look really neat in my nerd-cave ;D

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 46609 of 52680, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2022-10-11, 14:55:

This super-nice trio of National (Panasonic) CCTV monitors (were working prior to shipping, I still need to test them if they were not damaged during shipping) along with original 19" rack mount.

I already know what I will use them for and what I will display on them -> https://youtu.be/H3J8FiLNEtc?t=58 (00:58!!!) 😁 as they are exactly correct size. Will look really neat in my nerd-cave ;D

That's awesome I really hope they arrived undamaged.

Reply 46610 of 52680, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now you gotta build a mission control for Kerbal Space Program 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46611 of 52680, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a cheap Voodoo1 on a marketplace, but as usual, it was already gone.
Seller mentioned in the description that he also still has the Socket7 board on which the Voodoo was seated, but couldn't test it because he has no AT PSU. So I asked him how much he wants for it and if he can send some pictures.

Totally not unexpected it was an ASUS P/I-P55T2P4. I already have two of them. Rev 2.4 (no MMX) and Rev 3.1 (MMX + integrated Cache). The one he offered was Rev 3.0. So I thought: "Hey, why not pick a 3rd P55T2P4?"
It comes with a lame Pentium i166. But I have plenty of MMX CPUs laying around, after I won a lot on Ebay.
I have no idea what the RAM is.

RAM.jpg
Filename
RAM.jpg
File size
60.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Can anyone tell me what size they are? They have 2 chips on each side.

Paid 15€ shipped. Might arrive tomorrow.
Very lucky purchase imho.

Reply 46612 of 52680, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, those are RAMs I'd know them anywhere... but at a guess 8MB sticks.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46613 of 52680, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Veeb0rg wrote on 2022-10-11, 04:07:

Picked up a couple systems at the VCF swap meet held in NJ this Saturday. There's still plenty of work to be done with these, and finding the hard drive caddy for the Unisys laptop is probably impossible, but I got some great stuff for not a ton of money!

I really wanted to go to this but it was a 3hr drive. I have one of those Proliant 800's. Ran it as a web server for years way back. Absolutely solid machine.

This one somehow ended up with Red Hat Linux, version 7.1.

PXL_20221011_181637754.jpg
Filename
File size
124.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 46614 of 52680, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not so trivial Intel TC430HX Tucson motherboard 😉

Attachments

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 46615 of 52680, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EvieSigma wrote on 2022-10-11, 18:38:
Veeb0rg wrote on 2022-10-11, 04:07:

This one somehow ended up with Red Hat Linux, version 7.1.

I have no idea what version of linux is on it these days. I'll check around and see if I still have that spare VRM and heatsink you'll need if you want to add a 2nd CPU.

Reply 46617 of 52680, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-10-11, 10:47:
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-10-05, 15:46:

Got this set of sound cards for total of around 45€.

There are quite a few interesting cards in this set that i didn't have yet.

One day... One day i'll find time to record all the popular FM synth songs with every card and will create a website with multitrack player that can play all of them and you can fade between cards. One day, i say!

Oh, an Mwave sound card! Interesting!

What is the card on the lower left?..

The chip has "Jazz16" on it.

I just yesterday found time to test all the ISA cards - 4 out of those 9 didn't get recognized by UNISOUND immediately. Didn't have more time to debug it. Soon gonna be making a detailed post to UNISOUND thread with all the information about those 4 cards and if any *should* work with UNISOUND, i'll try to debug and test as much as needed so UNISOUND would become even greater universal sound card initializer. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 46618 of 52680, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Grabbed Ati Rage Pro Turbo PCI. But found out, it is only 4 MB version. Wanted 8 MB so bad, because 4MB is much slower.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=147360
download/file.php?mode=view&id=147359

So I thought, maybe I'll get 4MB module from AGP Rage Pro, that is much cheaper. Today, I've grabbed 8MB AGP version with module. ( upgraded from 4MB to 8MB). I thought, I'll remove module, and rest of the 4MB card will sell. This way, I'll get 8MB PCI version, not so expensive. Hope, it will be working, price for AGP version went up like half of the PCI version. If it will not work, or I will be not able to sell the 4MB AGP card, it will be very expensive upgrade. 😀

download/file.php?mode=view&id=147361

Attachments

Reply 46619 of 52680, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-10-11, 15:11:
HanJammer wrote on 2022-10-11, 14:55:

That's awesome I really hope they arrived undamaged.

Fortunately they do work. I already ordered some UHF to RCA adapters, should have them on thursday... a short video is on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CjlLdI7ozkK/

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg