Topic actions

Reply 47541 of 52769, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote on 2023-01-09, 07:50:
JidaiGeki wrote on 2023-01-09, 07:40:

And coincidentally this arrived at mine today ...

IMG_7731.jpg

Oh, nice. A beauty. Looks new, but there is quite a bit of corrosion on the ISA connector.

Ah no, it's NOS. The colouring is just reflection off the bag.

Reply 47542 of 52769, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nice one! The MV Jazz Wave (aka MediaVision PAW-200 Pro Audio) looks like a pretty complete sound card, would be interesting to […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-09, 06:31:
Pretty pleased about this one since I haven't found any rare sound cards in a long time. I have never seen one of these before a […]
Show full quote

Pretty pleased about this one since I haven't found any rare sound cards in a long time. I have never seen one of these before and only found a handful of references to it online after looking it up tonight:

jazzwave.jpg
(seller's photo)

Apparently this is called a Media Vision Pro Audio Wavetable with an ID of IXW-JAZZWAVE. It is a Media Vision Jazz16, OPL3 and an ICS Wavefront wavetable synth.

I seem to have gathered a decent amount of interesting Media Vision hardware over the years, so this will be a nice addition.

So far I have managed to find:
Thunderboard (with disks)
Pro Audio Spectrum Plus (falls between original PAS and PAS16)
Several PAS16 and Jazz16 variants
Memphis (card, cable and multimedia speaker system\monitor stand with working SCSI CDROM drive)
Logitech Soundman
Logitech Soundman Wave (with manual and disks I think)

The PAS Plus was probably my least common card before, but I think this Pro Audio Wavetable would be the least common one of my collection now, since it isn't mentioned on any of the usual sources for Media Vision devices.

... still have yet to track down that elusive original Pro Audio Spectrum though. 😀

Nice one! The MV Jazz Wave (aka MediaVision PAW-200 Pro Audio) looks like a pretty complete sound card, would be interesting to see how wavetable sounds.

However, the driver for the wavetable might be hard to find - the DOS Reloaded guys were looking for it (https://dosreloaded.de/forum/index.php?thread … -1995/&pageNo=3). From magazine reviews, the driver file seems to be called "MVLITE.EXE" (https://archive.org/details/Pcmania36/page/n43/mode/2up and https://archive.org/details/PC-Player-German- … de/2up?q=mvlite). I've got one of these without the backplate, but haven't been able to start the wavetable. Been on the lookout for random MediaVision floppies but nothing so far.

IMG_7731.jpg

Thanks for the info! I noticed a thread here from a while back where someone was trying to locate drivers for this card too. Seems to be pretty tough to track those down.

Also, wow... where on earth did you find a complete boxed PAS? I think I remember seeing ONE pop up for sale in that condition in all the years I've been into this retro stuff... and when I spotted it it was a completed listing, so it went fast.

As interesting as this stuff is, I don't worry too much about collecting boxed hardware unless I can get it for less than ~25% of what it would probably go for if I needed to resell it. The stuff is just sooo expensive most of the time, and if it's sealed then I'll never actually get to use it. 😀

EDIT: BTW, it may be worth checking through all the links posted in this thread to see if those drivers are stashed away somewhere.
Link Repository for Vintage PC Driver\Documentation Archives, FTPs, Websites

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 47543 of 52769, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-09, 08:08:
Thanks for the info! I noticed a thread here from a while back where someone was trying to locate drivers for this card too. See […]
Show full quote
Nice one! The MV Jazz Wave (aka MediaVision PAW-200 Pro Audio) looks like a pretty complete sound card, would be interesting to […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-09, 06:31:
Pretty pleased about this one since I haven't found any rare sound cards in a long time. I have never seen one of these before a […]
Show full quote

Pretty pleased about this one since I haven't found any rare sound cards in a long time. I have never seen one of these before and only found a handful of references to it online after looking it up tonight:

jazzwave.jpg
(seller's photo)

Apparently this is called a Media Vision Pro Audio Wavetable with an ID of IXW-JAZZWAVE. It is a Media Vision Jazz16, OPL3 and an ICS Wavefront wavetable synth.

I seem to have gathered a decent amount of interesting Media Vision hardware over the years, so this will be a nice addition.

So far I have managed to find:
Thunderboard (with disks)
Pro Audio Spectrum Plus (falls between original PAS and PAS16)
Several PAS16 and Jazz16 variants
Memphis (card, cable and multimedia speaker system\monitor stand with working SCSI CDROM drive)
Logitech Soundman
Logitech Soundman Wave (with manual and disks I think)

The PAS Plus was probably my least common card before, but I think this Pro Audio Wavetable would be the least common one of my collection now, since it isn't mentioned on any of the usual sources for Media Vision devices.

... still have yet to track down that elusive original Pro Audio Spectrum though. 😀

Nice one! The MV Jazz Wave (aka MediaVision PAW-200 Pro Audio) looks like a pretty complete sound card, would be interesting to see how wavetable sounds.

However, the driver for the wavetable might be hard to find - the DOS Reloaded guys were looking for it (https://dosreloaded.de/forum/index.php?thread … -1995/&pageNo=3). From magazine reviews, the driver file seems to be called "MVLITE.EXE" (https://archive.org/details/Pcmania36/page/n43/mode/2up and https://archive.org/details/PC-Player-German- … de/2up?q=mvlite). I've got one of these without the backplate, but haven't been able to start the wavetable. Been on the lookout for random MediaVision floppies but nothing so far.

IMG_7731.jpg

Thanks for the info! I noticed a thread here from a while back where someone was trying to locate drivers for this card too. Seems to be pretty tough to track those down.

Also, wow... where on earth did you find a complete boxed PAS? I think I remember seeing ONE pop up for sale in that condition in all the years I've been into this retro stuff... and when I spotted it it was a completed listing, so it went fast.

As interesting as this stuff is, I don't worry too much about collecting boxed hardware unless I can get it for less than ~25% of what it would probably go for if I needed to resell it. The stuff is just sooo expensive most of the time, and if it's sealed then I'll never actually get to use it. 😀

EDIT: BTW, it may be worth checking through all the links posted in this thread to see if those drivers are stashed away somewhere.

No prob re the info, I've been looking for the driver for a while - also downloaded the archive.org soundcard driver repository, and will have another look through the drivers thread. Someone on the DOS Reloaded forum suggested the driver could be found in the MV6200 driver disk set - the MV6200 seems to be a multimedia kit with wavetable soundcard - so perhaps it could be in what are probably floppy images called MV6200-1.exe or MV6200-2.exe - but no luck with searches so far. Hope is that maybe someone has a dump of the old MediaVision FTP site? There was also a website run by an ex-MV employee with tons of info on the products, but I can't seem to find it any more...

As for this card - straight up eBay purchase, was just lucky to have been able to BIN when it was listed - checking eBay searches when I woke up, couple of days before Christmas. Not usually too fussed about boxed hardware, or sealed software, but for US$80 I couldn't say no 😁 was sweating on its arrival until this morning.

Reply 47544 of 52769, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-01-08, 22:59:

Bought a Gainward GeForce2 TI 64MB for $21.

Now the only GF2 I'm missing is the GF2 Pro

That's a great deal for that card. Have you been able to test it yet?

Reply 47545 of 52769, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This Intergraph RealiZm II ZX13 PCI video card. A true double slot card, with 2D and 3D parts stacked together as separate PCI cards. Fortunately the distance between PCI slots remained standard, so it can be inserted on any motheboard with 2 free PCI slots. (tested on a ASUS H81 motherboad)

Not tested yet.

Attachments

My best video so far.

Reply 47546 of 52769, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also it appears to be equipped with 32 MB texture memory. (2x16) Maximum is 64 MB (we are 1997...)

If anyone can identify that SDRAM SIMM capacity.

Attachments

My best video so far.

Reply 47547 of 52769, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote on 2023-01-09, 08:57:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-09, 08:08:
Thanks for the info! I noticed a thread here from a while back where someone was trying to locate drivers for this card too. See […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

IMG_7731.jpg

No prob re the info, I've been looking for the driver for a while - also downloaded the archive.org soundcard driver repository, and will have another look through the drivers thread. Someone on the DOS Reloaded forum suggested the driver could be found in the MV6200 driver disk set - the MV6200 seems to be a multimedia kit with wavetable soundcard - so perhaps it could be in what are probably floppy images called MV6200-1.exe or MV6200-2.exe - but no luck with searches so far. Hope is that maybe someone has a dump of the old MediaVision FTP site? There was also a website run by an ex-MV employee with tons of info on the products, but I can't seem to find it any more...

As for this card - straight up eBay purchase, was just lucky to have been able to BIN when it was listed - checking eBay searches when I woke up, couple of days before Christmas. Not usually too fussed about boxed hardware, or sealed software, but for US$80 I couldn't say no 😁 was sweating on its arrival until this morning.

Wow, Nice find! That's a no brainer price for a boxed PAS. 😀

If you find any more info about those drivers, let me know. I will probably make a thread about it when I get the card. There's a chance that someone else here has one or has some drivers on a disk somewhere. I think there are a couple media vision collectors around here that may be worth PMing as well.

Reply 47548 of 52769, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, this Intergraph RealiZm II ZX13 card does work, tested in a hurry on some 2 PCI motherboards with native PCI support:

1. Intel H55/Xeon socket 1151 - it boots, but only nice looking garbage on the screen (letters and other symbols)
2. Intel 815/PIII 866 - NO PROBLEMS! It boots and everything looks nice, at least the 2D CL GD5440 part

Attachments

My best video so far.

Reply 47549 of 52769, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OMORES wrote on 2023-01-09, 22:59:

1. Intel H55/Xeon socket 1151 - it boots, but only nice looking garbage on the screen (letters and other symbols)

Are PCI 2.3 timings too hard for the PCI card from 1997? Maybe.
Should like 865PE/Prescott 800 MHz and X35/C2D 1333 MHz tests...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 47550 of 52769, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2023-01-09, 13:37:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-01-08, 22:59:

Bought a Gainward GeForce2 TI 64MB for $21.

Now the only GF2 I'm missing is the GF2 Pro

That's a great deal for that card. Have you been able to test it yet?

Hasn't even arrived yet.

I'm told it was tested to boot. Its seen better days though, the front shroud for the color is gone, and its pretty dusty.

I've had far worse looking garbage that worked fine, and far better looking garbage that didn't work at all. Such is the way of the recycler sourced graphics card.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 47551 of 52769, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Didn't get all 3 of these today, but I've had a very lucky couple weeks.

IMG_0331.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0331.JPEG
File size
303.31 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

STB Riva TNT PCI - Got it off eBay for under $30. Someone had it listed as the AGP version, so I think I got it for a pretty good price. Planning to use it in my Pentium MMX DOS system. Seems to be working well, but it gets really hot. Looks like a small 40mm Noctua fan will fit the heatsink almost perfectly. 😀

IMG_0330.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0330.JPEG
File size
432.06 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Intergraph Intense 3D Voodoo Rush - Got it from an estate sale for $2! What an amazing deal for such a terrible card. I've been both blessed and cursed at the same time. 😀 At first I thought it was broken. 2D was fine but my first attempts at 3D would seemingly crash the system. Eventually I realized that D3D games would work and it was just Glide games that had a problem. I eventually solved it by going back to version 2.43 of Glide.

IMG_0317.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0317.JPEG
File size
731.03 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Canopus Pure3D LX - Bought it locally on FB for under $30. The seller knew it was valuable, but just wanted someone to get some use out of it because apparently he never did, even back when it was new. And I believe him. It looks absolutely pristine and it came with everything still in the box, and most importantly it actually works. 😀

Reply 47552 of 52769, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
danieljm wrote on 2023-01-10, 07:08:
Didn't get all 3 of these today, but I've had a very lucky couple weeks. […]
Show full quote

Didn't get all 3 of these today, but I've had a very lucky couple weeks.

IMG_0331.JPEG

STB Riva TNT PCI - Got it off eBay for under $30. Someone had it listed as the AGP version, so I think I got it for a pretty good price. Planning to use it in my Pentium MMX DOS system. Seems to be working well, but it gets really hot. Looks like a small 40mm Noctua fan will fit the heatsink almost perfectly. 😀

IMG_0330.JPEG

Intergraph Intense 3D Voodoo Rush - Got it from an estate sale for $2! What an amazing deal for such a terrible card. I've been both blessed and cursed at the same time. 😀 At first I thought it was broken. 2D was fine but my first attempts at 3D would seemingly crash the system. Eventually I realized that D3D games would work and it was just Glide games that had a problem. I eventually solved it by going back to version 2.43 of Glide.

IMG_0317.JPEG

Canopus Pure3D LX - Bought it locally on FB for under $30. The seller knew it was valuable, but just wanted someone to get some use out of it because apparently he never did, even back when it was new. And I believe him. It looks absolutely pristine and it came with everything still in the box, and most importantly it actually works. 😀

Nice stuff, and great deals!

For some reason I have found that any Canopus card I come across (which hasn't been many) is in absolutely pristine condition. If I had to guess, they were very expensive and the people that bought them probably used them for 6 months until they were obsolete and then upgraded and put them in a box for 25 years.

I can't imagine being able to find stuff like that on FB marketplace locally. The area where I live is so sparsely populated and low-tech that searches for "computer" within 20 miles sometimes have no results. 40 miles generally gets some but I'm more likely to see listings like a $500 "gaming PC" that only shows the back of some disgustingly dirty black and gray tower and you can see that the video card has DVI, S-Video and no HDMI. Not a good sign.

Reply 47553 of 52769, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That sounds pretty rough, you have my sympathies.

I'm certainly not swimming in a sea of available parts in my area, but I will need to remind myself everyone once in a while that it could be much worse. 😀

Reply 47554 of 52769, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
danieljm wrote on 2023-01-10, 07:08:

I have no idea why they didn't include fans on TnT cards. I got two of these (AGP and PCI versions) and they both get burning-hot to the touch and start artifacting unless I get some direct airflow on them.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 47555 of 52769, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Additionally the PCI versions have a LDO regulator which adds "some" more heat to the game (that small part with the heatsink).
I once changed that to a DIY switching regulator leading to a decreased system power consumption of several Watts.
This regulator got untouchable hot and I still don't see how any of these cards could survive that long. The switching one don't even gets hand-hot.

Reply 47557 of 52769, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ChrisK wrote on 2023-01-10, 13:30:

Additionally the PCI versions have a LDO regulator which adds "some" more heat to the game (that small part with the heatsink).
I once changed that to a DIY switching regulator leading to a decreased system power consumption of several Watts.
This regulator got untouchable hot and I still don't see how any of these cards could survive that long. The switching one don't even gets hand-hot.

I'm very curious about this. What part did you use to replace that ridiculously hot regulator? I know several Voodoo cards from this time period have similar issues with heat dissipation and regulators that run at least as hot as the graphics chip itself.

Reply 47558 of 52769, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've used a Murata OKL-T6-W5 module on a custom PCB exactly made for my Creative TNT card (basically just the 3pin footprint of the linear regulator and some mounting hole). I didn't know how much current the card would actually need so I used the largest one I could find. I can take some pictures of the card and also drop the layout data for the PCB here when I'm home.
Very much possible it can be used on other cards, too, since most of these from that time have at least similar linear regulators.

Reply 47559 of 52769, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today's find was:
-a Palit NVIDIA GeForce FX1200 128MB AGP 8X video card with black PCB and VGA + DVI-I output
-a Alps 3.5 Inch 1.44MB Black bezel floppy drive
-a Gigabyte GA-7Vt600P-RZ motherboard (VIA KT600 chipset) with I/O Shield, IDE 80-conductor cable and Floppy cable that have a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton (AXDA3000KV4D) CPU in it + Ultra Fire CPU cooler (copper base + aluminium fins). Also motherboard have 3 bulging caps, that I plan to replace if I can.
So i was lucky today because that I got for cheap a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton.
Any opinion?

Attachments

• 20230111_183417.jpg
    Filename
    20230111_183417.jpg
    File size
    1.36 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20230111_162546.jpg
    Filename