Topic actions

Reply 47620 of 52811, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
danieljm wrote on 2023-01-17, 07:37:

IMG_0332.jpeg

Managed to get this for $20. Feeling very lucky. Unfortunately I don't have a CPU/Motherboard powerful enough to take full advantage of it. 😀

Whatever you do, don't try to put it into an Nforce 3 Ultra board and expect to install anything newer than Windows XP. I can't remember the details, but there is some kind of issue with the AGP drivers for that chipset. I believe none were officially released and any workarounds to force AGP to work are not compatible with ATI cards. I ran into this trying to get that exact same model of card working in a PC I have. There is, sadly, no work around.

Because of this, I'd suggest trying to find either a late VIA or Intel based AGP board. My reasoning for this is: Why use one of the fastest AGP cards ever made if you're limited to Windows XP? There are newer\better PCI-E cards that work fine in XP if you want an overkill XP system. Seems like more fun to try to see what kind of "modern" software you can get to run on the fastest AGP system you can build. Any game that doesn't require a card to support higher than DX10.1 should theoretically work. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 47621 of 52811, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-01-17, 04:29:

TBF 100 euro is basically what a single working V1 goes for.

Even here in the balkans prices have gone up like crazy for old pc hardware. Some 10 years ago on the flea market: "I'm not going to pay 20
EUR for some crap voodoo3!" And now those cards aren't even showing up.

This colleague, even a few years ago was asking some 100EUR for these cards. Now I really have though that they might be worth saving for that price... before he decides to double the price.

danieljm wrote on 2023-01-17, 07:27:

Looks like you've got a couple Voodoo Rush cards there. Not sure if this will help you at all, but I recently got a Voodoo Rush and I was worried it might be broken but it turned out to be just software issues. The 2D was working, but trying to start a game with Glide in DOS was crashing my system. When I jumped into Windows 98 I was getting "out of range" messages on my monitor, but then I tried 3D Mark 99 and it ran just fine. From what I can tell D3D games were fine and it was just Glide games that were the issue. After moving back to version 2.43 of Glide I managed to get games working in Windows. I haven't gone back to try in DOS yet, but from what I understand the Rush doesn't like DOS games, so I'm not holding out hope there.

The other common issue apparently is that the drivers will overclock the 2D chip in Windows and that can lead to garbled text. There's a registry setting you can edit to bring the clock speed down which will fix the problem.

Anyway, hopefully that can help you. Good luck!

Thank You! Upon inspection the two Rush cards look undamaged so I'll test them first. I wasn't aware of the issue that chip is getting overclocked. I'll get to it this weekend. Probably going to share about how it goes here on Vogons.

Reply 47622 of 52811, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-17, 08:11:

IMG_0332.jpeg

Managed to get this for $20. Feeling very lucky. Unfortunately I don't have a CPU/Motherboard powerful enough to take full advantage of it. 😀

Whatever you do, don't try to put it into an Nforce 3 Ultra board and expect to install anything newer than Windows XP. I can't remember the details, but there is some kind of issue with the AGP drivers for that chipset. I believe none were officially released and any workarounds to force AGP to work are not compatible with ATI cards. I ran into this trying to get that exact same model of card working in a PC I have. There is, sadly, no work around.

Because of this, I'd suggest trying to find either a late VIA or Intel based AGP board. My reasoning for this is: Why use one of the fastest AGP cards ever made if you're limited to Windows XP? There are newer\better PCI-E cards that work fine in XP if you want an overkill XP system. Seems like more fun to try to see what kind of "modern" software you can get to run on the fastest AGP system you can build. Any game that doesn't require a card to support higher than DX10.1 should theoretically work. 😀

As far as I know the problem is that Nvidia didn't release any GART driver for anything higher than XP.
That's why no (ATi) AGP cards can be used with Nforce on newer OSes.

Reply 47623 of 52811, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ChrisK wrote on 2023-01-17, 08:38:

IMG_0332.jpeg

As far as I know the problem is that Nvidia didn't release any GART driver for anything higher than XP.

Yes, but there is a bit more to it than that since modded driver packs have been put out in recent years.

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/nvidia-opti … r-win7-10/21787

(Nf3 stuff is mentioned near the end of the first post)

I haven't followed this topic in a while so I'm not sure what the current limitations are, but remember reading a while ago that the modded drivers at least worked with Nvidia cards (possibly in some kind of slower compatibility mode?), but did not work at all with ATI. Things may have changed since then though. I honestly can't remember to what degree I actually tinkered with this stuff... It's been a long couple of years.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 47624 of 52811, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Two more CRTs for my 'collection'. A 17" Samsung SyncMaster 795DF and a 19" Hyundai ImageQuest Q910. Both have great specs: the 17" with 85kHz, the 19" with 110kHz. And both are relatively small and light compared to other 17"/19" monitors. (The 17" is smaller than a Sony 15" that I have)

I still see CRTs being given away for free in my area but I just don't have the space to collect them all so I limit myself to the latest/best models. Right now I could get a 15"/66kHz Hyundai but I'll have to pass on that one. I think now is the last time to get them. They are showing up noticably less often already and in few years they will all be gone.
How do you guys solve this problem? Do you grab everything or only the 'better' ones? Or just don't care for CRTs?

Attachments

Reply 47625 of 52811, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just don't have space to collect CRTs. Might buy a 19" if I find a good one after I move somewhere with more space (should be soon). Gotta be a decent price though. Oh, and I need a mono monitor to test my MDA and HGC cards 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 47626 of 52811, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

not as bright as VA panel next to it

Attachments

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 47627 of 52811, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today's find: A ASUS A9550GE/TD/256M/A AGP8X video card. It is a ATI Radeon 9550, with 256MB video memory and passive cooling. Also I wonder if it is the 128bit version.
Opinion about it?

Attachments

• 20230117_153839.jpg
    Filename
    20230117_153839.jpg
    File size
    1.29 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20230117_153832.jpg
    Filename
    20230117_153832.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 47628 of 52811, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroPC_King wrote on 2023-01-17, 15:25:

Today's find: A ASUS A9550GE/TD/256M/A AGP8X video card. It is a ATI Radeon 9550, with 256MB video memory and passive cooling. Also I wonder if it is the 128bit version.
Opinion about it?

Yes, it's a 128-bit model. Most 9550 are 128-bit.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 47629 of 52811, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-01-17, 09:39:
Yes, but there is a bit more to it than that since modded driver packs have been put out in recent years. […]
Show full quote
ChrisK wrote on 2023-01-17, 08:38:

Yes, but there is a bit more to it than that since modded driver packs have been put out in recent years.

https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/nvidia-opti … r-win7-10/21787

(Nf3 stuff is mentioned near the end of the first post)

I haven't followed this topic in a while so I'm not sure what the current limitations are, but remember reading a while ago that the modded drivers at least worked with Nvidia cards (possibly in some kind of slower compatibility mode?), but did not work at all with ATI. Things may have changed since then though. I honestly can't remember to what degree I actually tinkered with this stuff... It's been a long couple of years.

I just know the topic from my old motherboard. ASRock has some advanced "tutorial" for the driver installation:
https://www.asrock.com/support/note/AM2NF3-VSTA.html
There seem to be several dependencies in there. But since I never used AGP with something higher than XP on this I can't tell any more about it.

Reply 47630 of 52811, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanSolo wrote on 2023-01-17, 12:37:

Two more CRTs for my 'collection'. A 17" Samsung SyncMaster 795DF and a 19" Hyundai ImageQuest Q910. Both have great specs: the 17" with 85kHz, the 19" with 110kHz. And both are relatively small and light compared to other 17"/19" monitors. (The 17" is smaller than a Sony 15" that I have)

I still see CRTs being given away for free in my area but I just don't have the space to collect them all so I limit myself to the latest/best models. Right now I could get a 15"/66kHz Hyundai but I'll have to pass on that one. I think now is the last time to get them. They are showing up noticably less often already and in few years they will all be gone.
How do you guys solve this problem? Do you grab everything or only the 'better' ones? Or just don't care for CRTs?

Don't care honestly.
Had a 19" back then (good ol' Medion brand 😉 ) but really can't remember what happened to it after I bought an LCD.
It was just such a relief in many ways, weight-wise, space-wise, picturesize-wise. Never had any type of TN-panel though, so decreasing picture quality compared to a tube (in my use-cases) wasn't an issue for me.

Reply 47631 of 52811, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisK wrote on 2023-01-17, 16:08:

Don't care honestly.
Had a 19" back then (good ol' Medion brand 😉 ) but really can't remember what happened to it after I bought an LCD.
It was just such a relief in many ways, weight-wise, space-wise, picturesize-wise. Never had any type of TN-panel though, so decreasing picture quality compared to a tube (in my use-cases) wasn't an issue for me.

i let all my crts go and while it might have been nice to keep a good one i really don't mind either even though i recognise both the vintage/retro advantages and nostalgia of them

Reply 47632 of 52811, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2023-01-17, 16:23:

Don't care honestly.

i let all my crts go and while it might have been nice to keep a good one i really don't mind either even though i recognise both the vintage/retro advantages and nostalgia of them

It is not necessarily for nostalgia's sake though. 😉

Some older DOS programs did use the overscan borders and changing the palette color affects it, something that it isn't visible with LCD monitors. Wolfenstein 3-D, Commander Keen and Crystal Caves are good examples, the last one changing the border color to green as a way to remind the player when all crystals are collected on a level.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 47633 of 52811, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How do you guys solve this problem?

By not living somewhere where people give away CRTs for free. 😜

Where I live CRTs are getting hard to come by. Haven't seen any for free unless they are really junky. Desirable units tend to command a premium (e.g. hundreds of $ ).

I do have an alert set up for local sales and have been a bit lucky in some local finds at reasonable prices.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 47634 of 52811, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These. Where they come from? they seem to be an old design and not from a 486 or Pentium, maybe they are the original PS/2 sims?

Attachments

Reply 47635 of 52811, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2023-01-17, 17:33:

These. Where they come from? they seem to be an old design and not from a 486 or Pentium, maybe they are the original PS/2 sims?

Those are indeed original PS/2 memory modules.
Lookup the FRU number. 😀

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 47636 of 52811, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Don't care honestly. Had a 19" back then (good ol' Medion brand ;) ) but really can't remember what happened to it after I bough […]
Show full quote

Don't care honestly.

I totally understand the problems that come with CRTs. But any LCD I have seen so far is a step back in picture quality under DOS. One major drawback is that the 320x200 mode has 70 fps while most LCDs (as far as I know) only show 60 fps. Then the scaling problem, rectangular pixels, etc.

Reply 47637 of 52811, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The three modules with empty space is compatible with standard 486 and 386 machines. The other 5 is not compatible and only works on IBM machines that uses these. I tried many ways but reason is there is no 4 cas lines signal on these. Sell these 5 modules on ibm vintage facebook group or ebay.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 47638 of 52811, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-01-17, 23:14:

The three modules with empty space is compatible with standard 486 and 386 machines. The other 5 is not compatible and only works on IBM machines that uses these. I tried many ways but reason is there is no 4 cas lines signal on these. Sell these 5 modules on ibm vintage facebook group or ebay.

Cheers,

tnks for reply, but i like to have a PS/2 models one day, i can use in that machine? or i need one specific model?

Reply 47639 of 52811, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure what 4MB modules were from. The ones I knew about are from PS/2 era around 1987 and 88 meant model 70 that I have, and these only supported 1MB and 2MB modules. This why I needed to know what machines used these odd 4MB modules are from.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.