Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 49220 of 52354, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2023-05-23, 13:11:

I wouldn’t post about the deal until AFTER it’s in hand. Someone could tip off the seller or the seller could even be floating around here. Don’t jinx it!

I certainly don’t raise hell against a seller or ever threaten them with negative feedback. Give the seller the same break you would want if you made a mistake.

I bought a Giga-byte Banshee from a seller accidentally listed for $19.90 when it was supposed to be $319.90. The seller canceled the sale, and explained the situation. I replied to the seller with a chuckle and told him I knew it was too good to be true, but it was worth a shot. That same card just recently sold for $319.90.

i suppose if everything is done within the rules of the Ebay (or whomever is mediating the sale) then it's actually fine for a seller to back out

one thing sellers can do to help themselves is to set reserve prices after seeing recent sold prices and then let buyers start bidding - can start low then safe in knowledge that they set a minimum and might get more

having said that i do smile when i see the same thing go round for months on ebay, always getting some bids but never reaching reserve, you'd think the seller would realise they have overestimated

Reply 49221 of 52354, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-05-23, 13:37:

having said that i do smile when i see the same thing go round for months on ebay, always getting some bids but never reaching reserve, you'd think the seller would realise they have overestimated

Some just don't care, they have time and the mindset that some idiot, someday, will buy it.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 49222 of 52354, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn’t post about the deal until AFTER it’s in hand. Someone could tip off the seller or the seller could even be floating around here. Don’t jinx it!

I certainly don’t raise hell against a seller or ever threaten them with negative feedback. Give the seller the same break you would want if you made a mistake.

I bought a Giga-byte Banshee from a seller accidentally listed for $19.90 when it was supposed to be $319.90. The seller canceled the sale, and explained the situation. I replied to the seller with a chuckle and told him I knew it was too good to be true, but it was worth a shot. That same card just recently sold for $319.90.

You owe scalpers no decency, for they have none.

Its literally a war.

Collectors trying to get fair, non scalped, non inflated prices for cards vs scalpers who want to destroy entire hobbies so they don't have to work a real job. I'm sick of being priced out of all my cheap hobbies by these douchebags and hipsters. Like I bet you both that Fury Maxx and the Banshee cost the scalper next to nothing to acquire.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 49223 of 52354, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2023-05-23, 13:37:
i suppose if everything is done within the rules of the Ebay (or whomever is mediating the sale) then it's actually fine for a s […]
Show full quote

i suppose if everything is done within the rules of the Ebay (or whomever is mediating the sale) then it's actually fine for a seller to back out

one thing sellers can do to help themselves is to set reserve prices after seeing recent sold prices and then let buyers start bidding - can start low then safe in knowledge that they set a minimum and might get more

The reserve price on eBay costs the seller more to list.

I don't get why sellers even set reserve prices. If they have a minimum they are going to accept, then just set the minimum bid price as that and don't give eBay the extra money to let the seller be stupid... Oh wait...

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 49224 of 52354, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-05-24, 02:57:
You owe scalpers no decency, for they have none. […]
Show full quote

You owe scalpers no decency, for they have none.

Its literally a war.

Collectors trying to get fair, non scalped, non inflated prices for cards vs scalpers who want to destroy entire hobbies so they don't have to work a real job. I'm sick of being priced out of all my cheap hobbies by these douchebags and hipsters. Like I bet you both that Fury Maxx and the Banshee cost the scalper next to nothing to acquire.

We get it. You think nobody should be able to make money by selling their belongings.

It is literally stupid of a seller to sell an item way below market price just because they may have gotten it for next to nothing.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 49225 of 52354, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sick of being priced out of all my cheap hobbies by these douchebags and hipsters.

Lolz are you STILL working this angle? Didn't you just say in another thread that you have 200 graphics cards or some damn thing?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 49226 of 52354, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2023-05-24, 03:51:

I'm sick of being priced out of all my cheap hobbies by these douchebags and hipsters.

Lolz are you STILL working this angle? Didn't you just say in another thread that you have 200 graphics cards or some damn thing?

122 working, 19 not (or sort of) working. The end goal is one working example of every commercially released consumer GPU from 1995 up (I don't do ISA stuff, so basically PCI era up). My hope is to create the finest, most complete GPU collection in the world. Someday a museum wing will have my name over the door way as a reward for my hardwork preserving the history of computer graphics.

Yes, I am still working that angle. I'm pretty open about the fact that I think blind greed and profiteering is ruining the world at every level. The obvious example is the mega corps making billions so the Musks and Bezos' of the world can horde it. A less obvious but equally sucking-the-joy-from-life example is people acquiring say an old video card for $5 then selling it for $320, because sure 64x profit is reasonable right? Not $50, not even $100 (which is still 20x profit.....). The only reason retro hardware has inflated in price is rich hipsters keep paying these insane prices, and scalpers are literally holding cards hostage. They'd rather sit on it for 6 months to a year priced in the hundreds of dollars range and wait for a rich sucker to buy it than sell it at a reasonable rate. There are several models of video cards right now that there are a dozen plus eBay listings but none have sold in the last 6 months, yet they are all listed for $200+. Models that were cheap pre-pandemic like the AGP Quadros for example. This is literally a coordinated effort to artificially inflate prices, because it only takes one of those selling for a bunch of idiots to go "I guess thats just the going rate now *clicks buy now*" and then the price is fucked forever. This is resulting in basically every hobby suddenly only becoming accessible to rich tech bros or trust fund recipients. I work for my damn money (what little I have). I'm not willing to pay $200 for what was $15 just a few years ago so that some fucking scalper can rake in more cash. These people provide 0 value to the world, all they care about is $$$$.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 49227 of 52354, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-05-24, 04:49:

... literally holding cards hostage. ...

Come on, man! This is just crazy! How can you think like this? In the end, it's just a f...king piece of old crap.

Reply 49228 of 52354, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bearking wrote on 2023-05-24, 05:20:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2023-05-24, 04:49:

... literally holding cards hostage. ...

Come on, man! This is just crazy! How can you think like this? In the end, it's just a f...king piece of old crap.

I was looking for a metaphor that expressed that the behavior they are partaking in is essentially refusing to sell cards at current, market rates and are holding them at insane prices hoping eventually some schmuck will buy them. Thus artificially inflating the market and keeping them out of the hands of true collectors and enthusiasts.

Reply 49229 of 52354, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got Intel 955X's Asus P5WD2 Premium for 20 bucks.
https://www.phc.sk/p/13202/asus-p5wd2-premium

Today, I've tested it. It works. Many see it as quite worthless chipset. But it's rare anyway, I'm very happy for every premium chipset board, including i975.
It was first SLI/Crossfire solution from Intel, with two PCI-e x16 slots, if I remember correctly. No core2 support of course. This is, why many see it as quite worthless chipset platform, as even late 945 handles core 2 duo, and even office 945GC boards outperforms it with core2. But these appeared in late 2006, early 2007, so this board handled those Pentium 4 extreme and Pentium D's very good till then. Basically for 2.5 years, 955X was still a beast till cheap Core2 solutions came (particulary Pentium Dual-Core).
So, it's not very justifying arguing with cheapo 945GC with Pentium-Dual core outperforming it. Yea, but it was 2.5 years later.

Reply 49230 of 52354, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's a futile dream, a collection can never ever be complete. Museums care about milestones in history, not a huge and boring collection of cheap items made by Chinosium companies to get the biggest profits they can.
The reality is that your collection is only valuable to you while you are still alive and invested but the second you lose interest or kick the bucket someone will just toss or sell the whole thing. Probably toss because selling and storing hundreds of hardware is a huge pita.
I say it as a collector myself, I have hundreds of processors but it's literally worthless because companies produced millions, tens of millions and hundreds of millions of the very same thing and a ton of it is still floating around. The retro hardware scene is not nearly as active as people think, this very forum only has like a 100 really active members and it's one of the biggest, friendliest international site. It's a cult that has people coming and going but the majority of people aren't THAT invested in all this, only the hardcore members whose name you see here every day under every post.
A collection is good for one thing and that's the whole point, to make the collector feel good about getting another piece of the puzzle. It's a valid reason but it's all psychological, the need to collect and gather. But to think that it has any value outside of your room is just a daydream.
Post the collection here, get your "likes", jelly points, comments and praise from the community and that's it, back to storage they go.
And don't forget, if scalpers didn't care about this then most hardware would go straight to recycling and nobody would care to get it out of the pile. Scalpers are the ones who have access to waste management sites so this entire hobby is based on their work. Without them we'd have almost nothing to play with. It costs money? Well, all hobbies do.

Reply 49231 of 52354, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mandrew wrote on 2023-05-24, 06:17:
That's a futile dream, a collection can never ever be complete. Museums care about milestones in history, not a huge and boring […]
Show full quote

That's a futile dream, a collection can never ever be complete. Museums care about milestones in history, not a huge and boring collection of cheap items made by Chinosium companies to get the biggest profits they can.
The reality is that your collection is only valuable to you while you are still alive and invested but the second you lose interest or kick the bucket someone will just toss or sell the whole thing. Probably toss because selling and storing hundreds of hardware is a huge pita.
I say it as a collector myself, I have hundreds of processors but it's literally worthless because companies produced millions, tens of millions and hundreds of millions of the very same thing and a ton of it is still floating around. The retro hardware scene is not nearly as active as people think, this very forum only has like a 100 really active members and it's one of the biggest, friendliest international site. It's a cult that has people coming and going but the majority of people aren't THAT invested in all this, only the hardcore members whose name you see here every day under every post.
A collection is good for one thing and that's the whole point, to make the collector feel good about getting another piece of the puzzle. It's a valid reason but it's all psychological, the need to collect and gather. But to think that it has any value outside of your room is just a daydream.
Post the collection here, get your "likes", jelly points, comments and praise from the community and that's it, back to storage they go.
And don't forget, if scalpers didn't care about this then most hardware would go straight to recycling and nobody would care to get it out of the pile. Scalpers are the ones who have access to waste management sites so this entire hobby is based on their work. Without them we'd have almost nothing to play with. It costs money? Well, all hobbies do.

Also old cars have no value. But it has, for the owners, and people, that share it. Yes, it's about feelings. But that is also the "taste". See, how much money invest coca-cola into recipes, or similiar food and meal companies. It has no real value, nutrition is just not there. But people share those feeling, and that's why it has value for them. The retro community is not so big, but it can change. Voodoo3 and voodoo4 were also more than decade worthless cards, no different than cheap MX420's.
I know people, that were scrapping 386, 486 CPUs in huge numbers, like literally destroyed them for fun.

Reply 49232 of 52354, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is the definition of 'hipster' and 'scalper' in this context?
I read it quite often in such discussions and while I have an idea what might be meant that somehow doesn't quite fit (for me).

Reply 49233 of 52354, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
That's a futile dream, a collection can never ever be complete. Museums care about milestones in history, not a huge and boring […]
Show full quote

I agree 100% with you!

Reply 49234 of 52354, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2023-05-24, 09:02:

What is the definition of 'hipster' and 'scalper' in this context?
I read it quite often in such discussions and while I have an idea what might be meant that somehow doesn't quite fit (for me).

Kramer from ‘Seinfeld’ is a hipster. Ironically, he also happens to be an opportunistic scalper.

A scalper is someone, or an entity, with no intention of taking ownership of an item/purchase. They markup and resell. They usually don’t add any additional value other than facilitation of a transaction.

I think where you are going with this is an instance of a collector selling all or part of a collection. That person would not be a scalper, likely an enterprising individual looking around at the market and attempting to get as much as they can for what they have.

The end result is the same in either case - charging whatever the market will bare.

Reply 49235 of 52354, by Maryoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Less than $4 at auctions in my country. https://allegrolokalnie.pl/oferta/plyta-glown … eb-0242ac120002

Does anyone know if this board is compatible with Windows 98? I have a Radeon X800 PCIe to buy for pennies, a nice set would come out of it.

Last edited by Maryoo on 2023-05-24, 10:47. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 49237 of 52354, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

That's true, a collection can never be complete. Stuff will get added all the time or be vaporware (or almost so).
For me, I always knew I would never be able to get literally everything that I wanted and it was the realization that at some point I was happy with what I did have.
I did get most of the stuff that I wanted and even got more stuff I didn't want at first, but ended up liking anyway. I even made a thread about what's missing in your collections, but with a more lighthearted intent. If someone else gets something I'd like to have (like a GF1), I'm happy for them.
And indeed, your collection should facilitate you.

For all we know it might have been the scalper lobbyists that lobbied for restricted access to recycling centers and other ways to obtain old hardware in the first place? 😋

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 49238 of 52354, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Elsa_Gladiac_511.jpg
Filename
Elsa_Gladiac_511.jpg
File size
397.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Bought this ELSA Gladiac 511 (GeForce 2 MX400) for 6 EUR on my local classifieds. I only got it because I wanted an ELSA branded graphics card in my youth, but they were out of my price range at the time. This manufacturer used premium components and their GPUs always had outstanding image quality. And I'm happy to say that this card is no exception. Granted, it's not as sharp as a Matrox G400, but it's still much better than what most GeForce 2 cards display out of the box.

Now, if only I could find the official driver CD image for this card. Obviously, I know that I can just use Nvidia's reference drivers, but ELSA always had some customized driver options that I wanted to check out first hand. I've only seen those in period correct reviews and magazines.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 49239 of 52354, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maryoo wrote on 2023-05-24, 10:29:
Got Intel 955X's Asus P5WD2 Premium for 20 bucks. https://www.phc.sk/p/13202/asus-p5wd2-premium […]
Show full quote

Less than $4 at auctions in my country. https://allegrolokalnie.pl/oferta/plyta-glown … eb-0242ac120002

Does anyone know if this board is compatible with Windows 98? I have a Radeon X800 PCIe to buy for pennies, a nice set would come out of it.

Here, it was like that pre-covid. In 2022-2023, prices started to spike. I didn't see any 955X for like 2 years here in any advertisement. Well, maybe among extremly overpriced retro-hardware, those type of offerings are there for years sometimes and are always somewhere. 20 bucks was with shipping. Unless you can take it personally, and it's very close, it eighter sucks the time, or takes you another 4$ for shipping. Here it was 16$ + 4$ shipping, but I always consider total cost of what actual item costed, not price without shipping. So your offering is in my view like 8$, still good.