VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 50440 of 52836, by marbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-09-19, 07:47:

Is that a Varta battery near the back of that chassis? In that case, hopefully it hasn't leaked ...

Pretty sure it didn't. According to the description he changed it as well. And he even provides a close-up. Looks fine and even new to me. JP 10 and 11 look a bit crooked. But I don't mind that. Might have been from the start or would easily be fixable...SNI has good reputation but I was never that impressed tbh. Seen a lot of their machines because for a long time every German office had mainly these. Yeah, they also just use water to cook. As for the ebayer. He provides a lot of pictures. with loads of close-ups, system status reports for everything that can be tested. In contrast. There are currently 5 or 6 auctions for this model on German eBay starting at ~900Euro and going up to 2700Euro. They all have either just one picture or the inside photo they took shows a pile of dust and dirt. So this one looks so good it's almost too good to be true. But this ebayer has good reputation and even after looking at it like 20 times it looks legit. He even sent pics of the packaging process. We'll see...Expect the worse, hope for the best. Wish me luck please.
I will disassemble it the moment it arrives. Luckily the board has just a couple of tantalum caps which look fine in the close-ups . So the only caps to really worry about are those in the PSU. But if those are broken I have some lying around here I can use.

Attachments

DOS Gaming: Biostar 8433UUD, AMD 5x86 P-75@150MHz, 64MB Ram, ViRGE 3D/DX 4MB, Aztech MM Pro 16ABI, Dos 6.22, Win 3.11
Windows gaming: Chaintech CT-5AGM2, AMD K6-2+/570ACZ@600MHz, 384MB Ram, Voodoo 3 AGP, SoundBlaster Vibra 16, Win 98

Reply 50441 of 52836, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had one of these mice long ago and wanted one again. This one appears to be totally unused and was reportedly found in the seller's grandfather's house. Not to point out the obvious, but isn't it amazing that some of this stuff is purchased/obtained and never used, even decades later? And isn't it amazing just how much stuff was included with old hardware? I'm seriously more excited about the documentation and playing with the S/W, which is sealed and I will never open, than playing with the mouse. Mice are pretty boring to use.

Attachments

Reply 50442 of 52836, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eesz34 wrote on 2023-09-19, 11:47:

I had one of these mice long ago and wanted one again. This one appears to be totally unused and was reportedly found in the seller's grandfather's house. Not to point out the obvious, but isn't it amazing that some of this stuff is purchased/obtained and never used, even decades later? And isn't it amazing just how much stuff was included with old hardware? I'm seriously more excited about the documentation and playing with the S/W, which is sealed and I will never open, than playing with the mouse. Mice are pretty boring to use.

I have that mouse too. But mine had a tough life. I found it at a recycler and somebody cut the cord also it was extremely yellow.
I took it because i recognised the shape of the mouse from one of my mousepads.
And indeed the mouse and the Mousepad belong together.

The mousepad must be the best mousepad i have ever seen 😁 ...
Ok its a little bit small, but you can use it as a cutting board on the back side.

I repaired the mouse and sun brighted it. now its a piece of my collection together with its mousepad 😁

To be fair... i like the mousepad even more than the mouse 😁

2023-09-19 14.05.23.jpg
Filename
2023-09-19 14.05.23.jpg
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 50443 of 52836, by marbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A mouse holster? That's genius! xD I think I will 3d-print one or two immediately. Never thought of that.

DOS Gaming: Biostar 8433UUD, AMD 5x86 P-75@150MHz, 64MB Ram, ViRGE 3D/DX 4MB, Aztech MM Pro 16ABI, Dos 6.22, Win 3.11
Windows gaming: Chaintech CT-5AGM2, AMD K6-2+/570ACZ@600MHz, 384MB Ram, Voodoo 3 AGP, SoundBlaster Vibra 16, Win 98

Reply 50444 of 52836, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-19, 12:06:
I have that mouse too. But mine had a tough life. I found it at a recycler and somebody cut the cord also it was extremely yello […]
Show full quote

I have that mouse too. But mine had a tough life. I found it at a recycler and somebody cut the cord also it was extremely yellow.
I took it because i recognised the shape of the mouse from one of my mousepads.
And indeed the mouse and the Mousepad belong together.

The mousepad must be the best mousepad i have ever seen 😁 ...
Ok its a little bit small, but you can use it as a cutting board on the back side.

I repaired the mouse and sun brighted it. now its a piece of my collection together with its mousepad 😁

To be fair... i like the mousepad even more than the mouse 😁

2023-09-19 14.05.23.jpg

Oh, yes, the mousepad. I do find it amusing that the back is a cutting board. Like, what was the thought there? Because they could?

What is that slotted area on the side opposite the cord? Is this a GM 6000 by any chance? I understand that model has a switch to go between MS and Mouse Sys. mode but don't know what the switch looks like.

Reply 50445 of 52836, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
marbury wrote on 2023-09-19, 12:51:

A mouse holster? That's genius! xD I think I will 3d-print one or two immediately. Never thought of that.

🤣 It seems odd but maybe it makes sense with mouse driven programs being less common then.

Reply 50446 of 52836, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Usual suspects like Fellowes, Belkin, Kensington used to sell them separately. I think I might have a boxed Fellowes one somewhere, definitely got a couple kicking around. The mouse holder of course was most common in the era where DOS was still king yet standalone gui apps and windows were coming in. Especially useful on those desks with slideout keyboard/mouse area, because unless you had your hand on the thing the mouse was always falling out the back.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 50447 of 52836, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think a lot of us had those kind of holders for our mice back in the 90's. I had four my Amiga 500

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 50448 of 52836, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marbury wrote on 2023-09-19, 08:30:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-09-19, 07:47:

Is that a Varta battery near the back of that chassis? In that case, hopefully it hasn't leaked ...

Pretty sure it didn't. According to the description he changed it as well. And he even provides a close-up. Looks fine and even new to me. JP 10 and 11 look a bit crooked. But I don't mind that. Might have been from the start or would easily be fixable...SNI has good reputation but I was never that impressed tbh. Seen a lot of their machines because for a long time every German office had mainly these. Yeah, they also just use water to cook. As for the ebayer. He provides a lot of pictures. with loads of close-ups, system status reports for everything that can be tested. In contrast. There are currently 5 or 6 auctions for this model on German eBay starting at ~900Euro and going up to 2700Euro. They all have either just one picture or the inside photo they took shows a pile of dust and dirt. So this one looks so good it's almost too good to be true. But this ebayer has good reputation and even after looking at it like 20 times it looks legit. He even sent pics of the packaging process. We'll see...Expect the worse, hope for the best. Wish me luck please.
I will disassemble it the moment it arrives. Luckily the board has just a couple of tantalum caps which look fine in the close-ups . So the only caps to really worry about are those in the PSU. But if those are broken I have some lying around here I can use.

Sounds like a serious seller 👍🏻

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 50449 of 52836, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eesz34 wrote on 2023-09-19, 13:04:

What is that slotted area on the side opposite the cord? Is this a GM 6000 by any chance? I understand that model has a switch to go between MS and Mouse Sys. mode but don't know what the switch looks like.

i think thats either a switch to choose the operating mode or a switch to turn it from a 3 button mouse to a 2 button mouse.
I replaced the cable just some days ago and had no time to try the mouse.

yes its a GM-6000.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 50450 of 52836, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-19, 17:05:

i think thats either a switch to choose the operating mode or a switch to turn it from a 3 button mouse to a 2 button mouse.

Both.
Microsoft = 2 buttons
Mouse Systems = 3 buttons

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 50451 of 52836, by arnovdheiden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received a boxed Pcchips M765VMRT AT motherboard. Bought it for 20 euro's from a German seller. I know this brand is hit and miss. Or it is close to garbage, or it works forever.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcchip … 5vmrt#downloads

Interesting about this one is that it is AT
It has slot 1 and socket 370, and it supports coppermine, up to 1ghz i think.
It also has AGP, pci and 1 isa slot.
In theory i could create a 1GHZ AT pc with this. I only wonder about the via chipset. Is it any good?

Arno

Reply 50452 of 52836, by arnovdheiden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote on 2023-09-19, 06:44:
arnovdheiden wrote on 2023-09-18, 13:37:

Bought an STB 3dfx voodoo 3 3000 from a seller in Germany for 35 euro's excluding shipping. I think its a great deal, and i think i am Lucky to have it for that price. The card is in good condition.

In this case you might as well offered 10€ as he clearly didn't know what it was 🤣

I could have, but my concience was against that somehow. 😊 He deserved some extra for being nice or something.

Reply 50453 of 52836, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't win em all. Thrift store had a mint looking YMF724 Yamaha XG sound card in the original (plain white) box with the driver CD. I rolled the dice for five bucks, and this time I lost. It looks brand new, but when I try to install it in a Win98 computer it gives a Code 10 and doesn't work. I've tried different PCI slots, and newer drivers, but the code remains. I wonder if it was defective, and someone tossed it back in the box, only for it to end up in a thrift store years later? Or maybe it was repeatedly pulled out of the anti static bag by people curious to know what it was? Well, now it's ewaste.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 50454 of 52836, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-09-19, 22:41:

You can't win em all. Thrift store had a mint looking YMF724 Yamaha XG sound card in the original (plain white) box with the driver CD. I rolled the dice for five bucks, and this time I lost. It looks brand new, but when I try to install it in a Win98 computer it gives a Code 10 and doesn't work. I've tried different PCI slots, and newer drivers, but the code remains. I wonder if it was defective, and someone tossed it back in the box, only for it to end up in a thrift store years later? Or maybe it was repeatedly pulled out of the anti static bag by people curious to know what it was? Well, now it's ewaste.

Could be repairable. I wouldn't write it off so quickly.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 50455 of 52836, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just picked up an SC-55 today! Unfortunately, I'm only getting sound out of one of the RCA outputs. I'll keep it, as I can use the headphone jack, but it would be nice to be able to use the RCA jacks working too. I tried a factory reset and checked the panning. Neither of these helped, so I suspect that the jack is faulty.

sc-55.jpg
Filename
sc-55.jpg
File size
528.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 50456 of 52836, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-09-20, 00:26:

Just picked up an SC-55 today! Unfortunately, I'm only getting sound out of one of the RCA outputs. I'll keep it, as I can use the headphone jack, but it would be nice to be able to use the RCA jacks working too. I tried a factory reset and checked the panning. Neither of these helped, so I suspect that the jack is faulty.

sc-55.jpg

Nice, this one sounds just right. I also have sc88 pro, which although has lots of fancy instruments doesn't sound right to my ears with win98 era of games that support midi

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 50458 of 52836, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sc-55.jpg

Could be a cracked solder joint. I find that tends to happen on things like power or audio connectors with a lot of use.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 50459 of 52836, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-09-20, 01:50:

sc-55.jpg

Could be a cracked solder joint. I find that tends to happen on things like power or audio connectors with a lot of use.

Thanks. I still need to learn to solder. Hopefully whatever the problem ends up being is an easy fix.