Topic actions

Reply 50540 of 52813, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-10-02, 06:49:

[...]

Untested, and has been taken from the recycling pile - politics are that everything being dumped at the recycling station will be put up for sale in the shop, unless specifically marked with a can of spray paint next to the drop-site (which nobody knows is there 🙄) I've found laptops up for sale, which I myself had been left for recycling, after removing CPU, memory and harddrives ... At least they do remove hard drives from everything before putting them up for sale ...

Do they also do the RNG pricing in DK?

Here in NL it's the same policy, with things like So775 boards with completely busted-up CPU pins on sale for more than complete working systems (with similar specs). Sometimes you get incredible bargains, sometimes you hear workers grumbling about how nobody ever buys their broken crap for insane prices.

Reply 50541 of 52813, by nfraser01

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-10-01, 19:10:

I refurbished and sold one of these on eBay almost a year ago. I guess you missed it.

May not have been in price range 😀

I have all of the drivers saved as well as a large box of spare parts. Send me a message if you need help getting it setup.

Will do!

Also, you *must* remove or replace the NiMH battery! I have refurbished a number of PCG-505s over the years and they all have leaked, often causing damage. Take photos of the markings on the original battery and clip the leads as close to it as you can, so it can be reused when rebuilding a replacement.

Current one looks fine (checked it when replacing the hard drive) and is holding a charge so I'm guessing is not the orginal. I happen to have a spare from a job lot of random 505 I picked up...

Reply 50542 of 52813, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-10-02, 08:38:

[...]

Untested, and has been taken from the recycling pile - politics are that everything being dumped at the recycling station will be put up for sale in the shop, unless specifically marked with a can of spray paint next to the drop-site (which nobody knows is there 🙄) I've found laptops up for sale, which I myself had been left for recycling, after removing CPU, memory and harddrives ... At least they do remove hard drives from everything before putting them up for sale ...

Do they also do the RNG pricing in DK?

Here in NL it's the same policy, with things like So775 boards with completely busted-up CPU pins on sale for more than complete working systems (with similar specs). Sometimes you get incredible bargains, sometimes you hear workers grumbling about how nobody ever buys their broken crap for insane prices.

I have no idea about what RNG pricing is?

But more or less complete systems in case are in the ballpark 200-250 DKK, ie €30- something. That's not insane IMO. It is however a gamble if working or not. They do actually have a table with power outlets so stuff can be tested before buying, though ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 50543 of 52813, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-10-02, 12:40:

RNG was originally a short for "Random Number Generator" today it is used to say "random" .

Its when you for example go to ebay and see the same part for 10 and 300 bucks...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 50544 of 52813, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this Radeon 9100, Adaptec PCI SCSI Card and ESS Maestro-2 Mediaforte PCI sound card.

Attachments

Reply 50545 of 52813, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dormcat wrote on 2023-10-01, 11:56:

Is that price tested or untested? If untested then it's quite a gamble.

Just remembered that I gambled on an untested MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II from e-waste last year with roughly the same price (NT$250) but it turned out to be somewhat defective with "snowflakes" (sigh). 🙄

Reply 50546 of 52813, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dormcat wrote on 2023-10-02, 17:47:

Just remembered that I gambled on an untested MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II from e-waste last year with roughly the same price (NT$250) but it turned out to be somewhat defective with "snowflakes" (sigh). 🙄

I wouldn't say it is a gamble. It is obvious that almost all retro stuff we buy are faulty and the difference is to what degree they are faulty, are they reparable or not. Yes, I know, there are those who will say that there are parts and devices that work well. Yes there are, but each one of them has some issue, and for me even a dried plastic case that became brittle is an issue because it makes a device servicing almost impossible.

Reply 50547 of 52813, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-02, 12:45:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-10-02, 12:40:

RNG was originally a short for "Random Number Generator" today it is used to say "random" .

Its when you for example go to ebay and see the same part for 10 and 300 bucks...

Ah, get it ... 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 50548 of 52813, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Diamond C400 motherboard i440bx
2) Diamond Monster Fusion 3dfx banshee
3) C-media CMI8330PCI with spdif
4) Soltek SL-02A slot1-s370 adapter
5) Celeron 400MHz
6) Kingston PC-100 CL2 512Mb 2x256
7) Seagate IDE 4,3Gb

Attachments

• IMG_9015.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_9015.jpeg
    File size
    157.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_9014.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_9014.jpeg
    File size
    167.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_9013.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_9013.jpeg
    File size
    169.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_9012.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_9012.jpeg
    File size
    176.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_9011.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_9011.jpeg
    File size
    221.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 50549 of 52813, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are they all gonna get put together? Are you gonna try the celly on 100fsb? Some will some won't.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 50550 of 52813, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice, though I suggest replacing the BIOS chip with a 2MBit chip if you wanna update the BIOS for CuMine support.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 50551 of 52813, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-02, 20:05:

Are they all gonna get put together? Are you gonna try the celly on 100fsb? Some will some won't.

Yeap! Its already one bundle))) Will do complex test maybe tommorow.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 50552 of 52813, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was looking for a serial MS dove-bar mouse, preferably new. I ran across this thing for far less than what you'd expect to pay. The box has this generic label with some meaningless part number that doesn't exist on Google. But based on what I could see through the bubble-wrap in the photo, it sure looked like a dove-bar mouse. An unbranded MS mouse, except the bottom label. Is that weird or has anyone seen these before?

Attachments

Reply 50553 of 52813, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably for an OEM system... the format of the part number might give a clue if it's similar to gateway or seanix or somebody's part numbers.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 50554 of 52813, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eesz34 wrote on 2023-10-02, 21:40:

I was looking for a serial MS dove-bar mouse, preferably new. I ran across this thing for far less than what you'd expect to pay. The box has this generic label with some meaningless part number that doesn't exist on Google. But based on what I could see through the bubble-wrap in the photo, it sure looked like a dove-bar mouse. An unbranded MS mouse, except the bottom label. Is that weird or has anyone seen these before?

It says Microsoft Corporation clearly under the FCC ID, which is a Microsoft ID, so it strikes me that it is a genuine MS mouse 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 50555 of 52813, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2023-10-02, 22:44:

It says Microsoft Corporation clearly under the FCC ID, which is a Microsoft ID, so it strikes me that it is a genuine MS mouse 😀

Right I know. I said "An unbranded MS mouse, except the bottom label" because it does not have the logo on top, only the bottom sticker has it. Every other photo I've found online has the MS logo imprinted in the plastic on top.

Reply 50556 of 52813, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...Is that weird or has anyone seen these before?

I have some microsoft mice branded for different oem manufacturers (in the picture for MaxData) . But on these models it is a print on the case.
The old 2 button mouse has its microsoft branding as a double shot injection mold. maybe they couldnt print on the glossy mouse / change the injection molded text to a different oem.

2023-10-03 01.31.33.jpg
Filename
2023-10-03 01.31.33.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 50557 of 52813, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-02, 23:35:
I have some microsoft mice branded for different oem manufacturers (in the picture for MaxData) . But on these models it is a pr […]
Show full quote

I have some microsoft mice branded for different oem manufacturers (in the picture for MaxData) . But on these models it is a print on the case.
The old 2 button mouse has its microsoft branding as a double shot injection mold. maybe they couldnt print on the glossy mouse / change the injection molded text to a different oem.

2023-10-03 01.31.33.jpg

Nice!

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 50558 of 52813, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DerBaum wrote on 2023-10-02, 23:35:
I have some microsoft mice branded for different oem manufacturers (in the picture for MaxData) . But on these models it is a pr […]
Show full quote

2023-10-03 01.31.33.jpg

The caution with OEM versions of these and Logitech made peripherals, and for some other types of peripherals and cards, is that they might be cut down feature wise. Where the seemingly identical retail model might be USB/PS/2 or PS/2/serial they might only work on the one interface. Which sorta makes sense as the PC they were supplied with intends to just need one which they already decided on, but a bit of a PITA to use with different PC later on in life. You get it with soundcards etc as well, no internal headers because this Packard Bell or whatever was wired this ONE way from the factory so didn't need aux inputs etc.

Reply 50559 of 52813, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mice everywhere 😀

So since I'm back messing around with 486 era HW I was forced to shop around for serial mouse. I don't like much idea of getting used one. I came across this new old stock. Was inside blister pack.
I actually used Genius mice back in days, but never blue coral design - very fancy. It's relatively big boy, feels sturdy in hand

sermouse.jpg
Filename
sermouse.jpg
File size
128.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I also have floppy disk now ... ...and no FDD drive!