VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 50920 of 52794, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aaron707 wrote on 2023-11-16, 02:39:

My partner messaged me a link to some old computer monitors and parts for sale she found locally. I thankfully had a moment during my lunch break to go check it out. I purchased a new in box ViewSonic G90F crt monitor! I never in my life thought I would purchase a brand new CRT. Especially in the fairly remote area I am in. So happy to have it as I had a Dell e773 17” crt die with a faulty flyback recently. Also picked up a pair of Intel 440BX-2 motherboards with the Yamaha XG sound on board. A new in box PowerColor GeForce 2 MX AGP and a black JVC 5.25 floppy.

Boxed too. Beautiful.

Reply 50921 of 52794, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stef80 wrote on 2023-11-16, 20:25:

Too weak for X850 series, and too massive for 9600XT

It's true, you have to be very careful when mounting those on a 9600XT.
I crushed the core and destroyed a 9600XT before when I tightened the screws just a little too hard.
But if they're too loose, the whole thing just flops around and starts to sag.

Still, having an almost silent retro computer is a really nice thing.
Just be careful, do it slowly once and never touch the damn card ever again after it worked. 😁

They do fit much more easily on GeForce cards.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 50922 of 52794, by CrazyCatman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Aaron707 wrote on 2023-11-16, 02:39:

My partner messaged me a link to some old computer monitors and parts for sale she found locally.

Not only did you find some great parts - but aparently also a keeper of a partner! My wife wants me to get rid of my computers and hardware - not get more 😉

So many computers, so little time...

Reply 50923 of 52794, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a couple of CDs that were packed only in a plastic bag. The 4x CD cases are shattered and completely useless. If it wasnt for the fact they are usually in the £20 each range and I got them for £5 each I would send them back. As it is I have to spend £10 on some new CD cases.

Reply 50924 of 52794, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Following up the LTE Elite, I got an offer sent my way for a listing I was watching, and I had to take it. I now have a WinBook FX on the way - a not very well known laptop, but from my research, a quality one. It has a Creative Labs Vibra 16-based sound chip on the board - CT2505. Seems this version has Creative's CQM chip instead of a real OPL3, which could produce some audio distortion. I guess we'll see when it gets here.
Will be nice to see how it does for DOS gaming.
Video is a Cirrus Logic GD-7543 or GD-7548.

I probably have too many old laptops.

Reply 50925 of 52794, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-11-14, 18:30:

Just bought a small lot of unused industrial Pc104 stuff… should include 4 cpu cards(intel Pentium 166mmx, and 486 type), 2 backplanes, 2x 3,5 and One 5.25 floppy , and some spare parts.
It was a little bit expensive with 115 euros. When it will arrive I will post pictures and you can tell me how much I overpayed 😂

I knew it.

Because the lot was a little bit expensive for me i asked a friend from a computer museum if he wanted some of the stuff.
He said yes, i got the money in my hand drove to my bank and put it in my account.

Then i closed the deal i wrote about in the quote.
Seller responded "Oh sorry, now i have another buyer. Is it ok if you just get some of the parts?"
I said no.

Now the seller decided to just sell everything to somebody else.
Great.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 50926 of 52794, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DerBaum wrote on 2023-11-17, 14:33:
I knew it. […]
Show full quote
DerBaum wrote on 2023-11-14, 18:30:

Just bought a small lot of unused industrial Pc104 stuff… should include 4 cpu cards(intel Pentium 166mmx, and 486 type), 2 backplanes, 2x 3,5 and One 5.25 floppy , and some spare parts.
It was a little bit expensive with 115 euros. When it will arrive I will post pictures and you can tell me how much I overpayed 😂

I knew it.

Because the lot was a little bit expensive for me i asked a friend from a computer museum if he wanted some of the stuff.
He said yes, i got the money in my hand drove to my bank and put it in my account.

Then i closed the deal i wrote about in the quote.
Seller responded "Oh sorry, now i have another buyer. Is it ok if you just get some of the parts?"
I said no.

Now the seller decided to just sell everything to somebody else.
Great.

Bummer... better luck next time. Yeah I find local classified sellers to be "all over the place" in what it's like to deal with them. Some are awesome, easy to get hold of, easy to get a time/place to pickup, throw in extra stuff. Some seem to try to get you into a bidding war with other buyers, who may or may not be fictional. Some just never seem to have availability, or post stuff the day before they take off on vacation. Then there was this one guy, had an expensive thing, so had specific questions about it to check it was what I wanted, and he'd keep giving vague answers like "yeah that's still here" and then go on to describe ten other things he had for sale, dude, focus! This went on over two weeks then he told me it was just sold.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 50927 of 52794, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-17, 15:18:

Bummer... better luck next time. Yeah I find local classified sellers to be "all over the place" in what it's like to deal with them. Some are awesome, easy to get hold of, easy to get a time/place to pickup, throw in extra stuff. Some seem to try to get you into a bidding war with other buyers, who may or may not be fictional. Some just never seem to have availability, or post stuff the day before they take off on vacation. Then there was this one guy, had an expensive thing, so had specific questions about it to check it was what I wanted, and he'd keep giving vague answers like "yeah that's still here" and then go on to describe ten other things he had for sale, dude, focus! This went on over two weeks then he told me it was just sold.

Thats exactly my experience.
My worst example is buying some laserdiscs for 60 bucks. today i use paypal with buyer protection for things like that, but back then i just sent the money by bank transfer.
and... i never recieved the discs.

From the beginning of the current deal i had a weird feeling.
First the seller took very long to answer (24 hours +).
Then he made a set price for several items that was exactly the price of each single item combined, and felt very generous about it.
and after i get the money he introduces a second buyer.

So many red flags from the beginning...

His last sentence was "You took too long to answer..." DUDE i answered in 50 Minutes after the mail he requested an answer.... When it takes him like one DAY to answer!!!
That was the lamest excuse to sell it to somebody else for more money. (i dont know that but i suspect that)

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 50928 of 52794, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didnt JUST buy this, I have had it sitting around for a few years now. Got it in a game lot . Should I open it and use it? Anyone ever use one of these?

mcdPgsv.jpg

Reply 50929 of 52794, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2023-11-17, 16:53:
I didnt JUST buy this, I have had it sitting around for a few years now. Got it in a game lot . Should I open it and use it? Any […]
Show full quote

I didnt JUST buy this, I have had it sitting around for a few years now. Got it in a game lot . Should I open it and use it? Anyone ever use one of these?

mcdPgsv.jpg

Is this a gaming mouse for the left hand, without the mouse part, that is ment for replacing the keyboard?
I would have huge problems adapting to that... 😁

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 50930 of 52794, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I won an auction on Marktplaats (a Dutch on-line marketplace and auction site) for an IBM PS/2 Model M keyboard. I paid just under €85 for it, including shipping.

They often go for twice that price on eBay, if not more.

Although these things are known to be built like tanks, I was nonetheless happy that the sender packaged it well.

It's clean, fully functional and in excellent condition. The original cable was included, and anticipating the delivery, I had already ordered a PS/2-to-USB converter on-line, which it works well with.

I'm typing on this keyboard right now, and it feels and sounds absolutely glorious. 🥰

I'm going to bring it to the office Monday, just for fun, to show it off to a co-worker who's really into keyboards, and as a bit of a social experiment to see how long my teammates will tolerate me noisily clicking away on it as I go about my daily work. Many of us have noise-cancelling headphones, so that will probably help. 😁

Attachments

Reply 50931 of 52794, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digger wrote on 2023-11-17, 20:37:

I'm going to bring it to the office Monday, just for fun, to show it off to a co-worker who's really into keyboards, and as a bit of a social experiment to see how long my teammates will tolerate me noisily clicking away on it as I go about my daily work. Many of us have noise-cancelling headphones, so that will probably help. 😁

I have one at work too (and another one at home)
Some people don't like the sound, others love it.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 50932 of 52794, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got an RGH modded Xbox 360 S (Trinity). The controller will take some getting used to, due to the swapped left stick and d-pad positions. As a PlayStation guy, this feels kinda weird to me. On the flip side, I do like that it uses standard AA batteries instead of a proprietary battery pack. Makes long term use much more convenient, with rechargeable AA batteries being readily available for purchase.

I was a bit taken aback with the amount of noise this console makes. Upon closer inspection (and some googling) it turns out that the power supply brick produces most of it. Apparently, that brick has a small and annoyingly loud fan inside. I'll probably have to do some maintenance on that.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 50934 of 52794, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2023-11-17, 17:10:
Law212 wrote on 2023-11-17, 16:53:
I didnt JUST buy this, I have had it sitting around for a few years now. Got it in a game lot . Should I open it and use it? Any […]
Show full quote

mcdPgsv.jpg

Is this a gaming mouse for the left hand, without the mouse part, that is ment for replacing the keyboard?
I would have huge problems adapting to that... 😁

It replaces the WASD keys . It has other buttons on it as well. I guess ill have to open it and play with it.

Reply 50936 of 52794, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2023-11-17, 22:10:

20x 100MB zip disks + 2 units.

Be careful, someone gave me 2 drives and a giant box of disk's and then suddenly I had 4 externals, 2 internals, 2 jaz and even more disks.. They'll find you.

Reply 50937 of 52794, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got nervous about these drives when I tried to recover my Dad's old Jaz disks. Almost every disk I tried to read exploded inside the drive. The disks lived in a damp basement for years without temperature control, so this was most likely a continuing factor, but it made me very uncomfortable about using them for anything again in the future.

Reply 50938 of 52794, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Veeb0rg wrote on 2023-11-17, 23:21:

Be careful, someone gave me 2 drives and a giant box of disk's and then suddenly I had 4 externals, 2 internals, 2 jaz and even more disks.. They'll find you.

Too late my friend, I already have 5 units and close to 50 disks.
I'm already in it both feet. And I'm lovin' it!!! 😀

Kahenraz wrote on 2023-11-17, 23:28:

I got nervous about these drives when I tried to recover my Dad's old Jaz disks. Almost every disk I tried to read exploded inside the drive. The disks lived in a damp basement for years without temperature control, so this was most likely a continuing factor, but it made me very uncomfortable about using them for anything again in the future.

Everything I own is in my house, except for all the cd/dvd-rom drives that are happily in the basement. My basement is quite dry, incredibly there's some good airflow.

I can understand your situation, I have a few 5.25" floppies that were in a box when the basement got flooded many years ago (the pump broke and water stayed in).
Mold and more mold in just a few days. It's just beyond us.

Kahenraz wrote on 2023-11-17, 22:54:

I regret throwing away all of my Zip and Jaz drives. I had a Click! drive and discs too.

I can feel your pain. We didn't know back then.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 50939 of 52794, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-17, 22:07:

Got an RGH modded Xbox 360 S (Trinity). The controller will take some getting used to, due to the swapped left stick and d-pad positions. As a PlayStation guy, this feels kinda weird to me. On the flip side, I do like that it uses standard AA batteries instead of a proprietary battery pack. Makes long term use much more convenient, with rechargeable AA batteries being readily available for purchase.

I was a bit taken aback with the amount of noise this console makes. Upon closer inspection (and some googling) it turns out that the power supply brick produces most of it. Apparently, that brick has a small and annoyingly loud fan inside. I'll probably have to do some maintenance on that.

Use stout tool to pry the plastic plugs out, plug is under the rubber feet and you cannot separate the plastic plug and rubber), slightly pry edge of rubber feet all around, looking for a small notch and use it to pry plastic plug out. Screws is security torx, I think T10.

External PSUs for both 360 and xbox one, uses a small blower fan that needs to be maintained, oiled and cleaned. There are 2 baffles that needs to be pulled for through cleaning. Unaltered design just the looks. Same way on Xbox One (original) too. Supposed to be quiet. Not buzzing.

Oh yeah, the baffles had to be installed correctly in their slots, examine carefully before pulling them. Route the fan cable into the U slot on reassembly.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.