Reply 51060 of 52804, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smtkr wrote on 2023-12-01, 02:31:
justin1985 wrote on 2023-11-30, 07:54:
debs3759 wrote on 2023-11-29, 23:53:

I would suggest that it has max fsb of 100 and max multiplier of 8, and they just listed every option that allows for, rather than thinking 800 MHz Katmai was likely.

I seem to remember there are slotkets that have their own voltage jumpers etc - would that be likely to make a 700 or 800Mhz Coppermine work? (Or is BIOS support for the CPU likely to be a barrier?)

Apart from one very very expensive slotket, slotkets that "set voltages" are really just setting 4 VID pins compliant with the VRM 8.4 spec to tell the motherboard which voltage to supply the CPU (overriding what the CPU would otherwise send on its VID pins). If the motherboard doesn't support the voltage requested, the slotket can't do anything about it.

There were a few Slotkets that could do voltage clamping too, IIRC you could feed it 2.0v and it would clamp it to 1.75v which was typical Coppermine core voltage.
Slotkets that can do this are even harder to find than normal ones and are only suited for slot1 motherboards that cant handle voltages below 2.0v which is a lot of the earlier pre coppermine boards.

I have personally only ever seen one that could do this according to its spec sheet, but the seller wanted far too much for it, but I was seriously tempted. Would have made for an interesting reverse engineering project to see if it could be easily replicated or adapted for non clamping Slotkets.

Reply 51061 of 52804, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did not buy this myself, but I still need the world to know:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126152561878

Someone snatched this Voodoo 4 4500 for 14.90€ (buy it now offer). The seller obviously didn't know what he had, this card usually goes for 300-350€.

Reply 51062 of 52804, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
asdf53 wrote on 2023-12-01, 08:18:

Did not buy this myself, but I still need the world to know:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126152561878

Someone snatched this Voodoo 4 4500 for 14.90€ (buy it now offer). The seller obviously didn't know what he had, this card usually goes for 300-350€.

Kinda how I got mine 🤣

Reply 51063 of 52804, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had this AT case sent over from the US. Same case I had in ‘91, think this one was put in service in ‘93 based on the chips on the setup inside - VLB motherboard with 486SX. Doesn’t seem to be much battery damage but will tear it down soon to inspect.

IMG_9611.jpeg
Filename
IMG_9611.jpeg
File size
647.94 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Amazed it arrived in good condition though - seller put in two flattened cereal boxes and a torn up clothing catalog as “padding”.

Reply 51065 of 52804, by A001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed this OEM ASUS Socket 423 board. Green is the superior PCB color so if regular ASUS bios can be crossflashed, it's better than the "real" product.
I've already got one from Fujitsu that works but requires recapping and this happened to cost only as much as the new caps.

865.jpg
Filename
865.jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
867.jpg
Filename
867.jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 51066 of 52804, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a Lian Li PC-70 last night for my growing collection of Lian Li cases (this makes 7 in total - three PC-60 variants, two PC-7 variants, a PC-A05, and the PC-70). I'm very pleased to get this one since it's exactly the same as I bought myself in 2001 after earning a bit of money with a summer job.

And also today a Creative Labs GeForce 256 DDR arrived. Not quite the same as I had when they launched, but close enough. I did find an ELSA Erazor X2 on eBay once but it was sealed in box and silly expensive for something I'd immediately unbox and play games on! Running some benchmarks on this one right now 😀

Attachments

Reply 51067 of 52804, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote on 2023-12-01, 10:49:

Had this AT case sent over from the US. Same case I had in ‘91, think this one was put in service in ‘93 based on the chips on the setup inside - VLB motherboard with 486SX. Doesn’t seem to be much battery damage but will tear it down soon to inspect.

IMG_9611.jpeg

Amazed it arrived in good condition though - seller put in two flattened cereal boxes and a torn up clothing catalog as “padding”.

Will the third floppy be assigned as D: ?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 51068 of 52804, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-12-01, 07:02:
There were a few Slotkets that could do voltage clamping too, IIRC you could feed it 2.0v and it would clamp it to 1.75v which w […]
Show full quote
smtkr wrote on 2023-12-01, 02:31:
justin1985 wrote on 2023-11-30, 07:54:

I seem to remember there are slotkets that have their own voltage jumpers etc - would that be likely to make a 700 or 800Mhz Coppermine work? (Or is BIOS support for the CPU likely to be a barrier?)

Apart from one very very expensive slotket, slotkets that "set voltages" are really just setting 4 VID pins compliant with the VRM 8.4 spec to tell the motherboard which voltage to supply the CPU (overriding what the CPU would otherwise send on its VID pins). If the motherboard doesn't support the voltage requested, the slotket can't do anything about it.

There were a few Slotkets that could do voltage clamping too, IIRC you could feed it 2.0v and it would clamp it to 1.75v which was typical Coppermine core voltage.
Slotkets that can do this are even harder to find than normal ones and are only suited for slot1 motherboards that cant handle voltages below 2.0v which is a lot of the earlier pre coppermine boards.

I have personally only ever seen one that could do this according to its spec sheet, but the seller wanted far too much for it, but I was seriously tempted. Would have made for an interesting reverse engineering project to see if it could be easily replicated or adapted for non clamping Slotkets.

There is one wellknown slotket type that has the necessary onboard VRM parts to produce voltages independant of the motherboard and that is the Powerleap => PL-iP3 (for Coppermine) and PL-iP3/T (for Tualatin).
The early generation (Pentium 2) slot 1 motherboards was designed following Intel's VRM 8.1 guideline and delivered 1.8volt through 3.5volt.

vrm8=1.jpg
Filename
vrm8=1.jpg
File size
67.06 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

1.8volt is only a slight overvoltage for Coppermine cpu's and a lot of people on this forum have been successful running Coppermine cpu's on early generation motherboards with Coppermine supporting slotkets via voltage jumpers and/or 'auto voltage settings'.
The only aspect that is important when deciding on what type of slotket is required for this sort of project is whether or not the slotket does support Coppermine cpu's.
Older slotkets that do not support Coppermine cpu's need to be modified (which is a relatively simple task)

Reply 51069 of 52804, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aitotat wrote on 2023-12-01, 05:48:
dionb wrote on 2023-11-30, 20:48:

I am puzzled by the Trident MT600ST with Cyber9385T chipset - with what looks like VGA in as well as out.

I also find that interesting. It feels well build card unlike so many S3 cards from that time. I have no idea how the Cyber9385T performs. And shouldn't Cyber be mobile chip? When I have time, I'll definitely compare this one against S3 cards from that time. I hope it will be fast and compatible 2D card for DOS with good image quality. But that remains to be seen.

Here is some info on the Trident Cyber 9388:

Trident 9388 and DOS games

Reply 51070 of 52804, by mtest001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have bought this Belinea 14" flat panel from 2001, which allows me to keep my P200@225 setup "period correct" (mobo and CPU from 1999)...

Overall quality is quite good. Could not test the built-in speakers though, I am missing the male-male cable.

Attachments

/me love my P200MMX@225 Mhz + Voodoo Banshee + SB Live! + Sound Canvas SC-55ST = unlimited joy !

Reply 51071 of 52804, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At a thrift store I got a Brother MFC-7420 laser printer, thinking it should be a good emergency backup for my DCP-7020. They seem to be essentially the same printer.
Turns out the linux driver is different and broken with the 7420. Guess if I need to swap the printers I'll have to boot Windows to use it.

I need another USB keyboard and a power strip. That should have been easy.
Not in central FL. The stores here seem to hate electronics. They only keep monitors, and kitchenware. One store had printers.
I did buy some DVDs to convert for the file server anyway.

Reply 51072 of 52804, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was about to buy a few mobos. Guy accepted my offer but because it was lower than expected (after 2 years of seeing them around I made one - acceptable), but stated "I won't wrap them nor put any padding, just in a box".
Why?
------

Got another working Zip100. I'm gonna give it to a friend. Christmas is nigh 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 51073 of 52804, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote on 2023-12-02, 19:12:
At a thrift store I got a Brother MFC-7420 laser printer, thinking it should be a good emergency backup for my DCP-7020. They s […]
Show full quote

At a thrift store I got a Brother MFC-7420 laser printer, thinking it should be a good emergency backup for my DCP-7020. They seem to be essentially the same printer.
Turns out the linux driver is different and broken with the 7420. Guess if I need to swap the printers I'll have to boot Windows to use it.

I need another USB keyboard and a power strip. That should have been easy.
Not in central FL. The stores here seem to hate electronics. They only keep monitors, and kitchenware. One store had printers.
I did buy some DVDs to convert for the file server anyway.

I've always wondered if running a virtual machine with an older operating system that tunnels the parallel port for a vintage printer, to share it across the network, is viable. Maybe this is worth trying?

Can Linux work with printers shared from Windows?

Reply 51074 of 52804, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2023-12-02, 22:17:
I was about to buy a few mobos. Guy accepted my offer but because it was lower than expected (after 2 years of seeing them aroun […]
Show full quote

I was about to buy a few mobos. Guy accepted my offer but because it was lower than expected (after 2 years of seeing them around I made one - acceptable), but stated "I won't wrap them nor put any padding, just in a box".
Why?
------

Got another working Zip100. I'm gonna give it to a friend. Christmas is nigh 😀

Because he likes refunding buyers for damaged parts.

Reply 51075 of 52804, by Deano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just brought on EBAY, a Pentium Pro 200Mhz 256KB cache with fan for 75EUR which is the final part needed for my PPro LPX build. Once it working will probably get a Voodoo for it. Also brought a bunch of big box PC games as my birthday/Christmas present to play over the holidays.
Also a new PSVITA screen to fix my one.
Pics when they arrive.

Game dev since last century

Reply 51077 of 52804, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nfraser01 wrote on 2023-12-03, 12:46:

Amstrad 2400 baud ISA modem. Great for my Amstrad PC1512 😀

What do you plan on using it for? Do you have a setup where you can still use a dialup modem?

Reply 51078 of 52804, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-12-03, 06:48:

Because he likes refunding buyers for damaged parts.

My guess is that it was all broken and he knew it. He also wanted to have shipping paid more than necessary.
A scam. At least it's out of my sight.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 51079 of 52804, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nfraser01 wrote on 2023-12-03, 12:46:

Amstrad 2400 baud ISA modem. Great for my Amstrad PC1512 😀

I had one of those, at least same shell, and it was surprisingly fast. By that I mean it had MNP5 and ran up to 9600 baud, getting throughput equivalent to some non-optimised, non-compressed or maybe unsupported at diallin head end 14.4 modems. I mean you wouldn't want to use it now you can get 56k which will at least do 33.6 unoptimised, for free or a buck or two. May possibly be okay for some pre 95 modem compatible games though.

I found out about the surprising performance of mine kinda by accident, I was home sick from college with flu and needed to check my college email, the amstrad modem I just had for some reason, "real" modems were $100 or so still, I mean within the "modern" expectations of the time, 14.4 for ordinary ppl 28.8 for biz critical or deep pockets... anyhoo, so I had that, and a "first month free" internet disk, so I hooked it up, dialled in and was kinda wowed that I was getting a kilobit a second, sometimes 1.1 on a lot of text. Which was fast enough to online browse text sites with images turned off (Not very image heavy then anyway, and html code wasn't all that complex either.) It only got one or two "emergency" uses, but I'd had the taste and in coming months managed to score a "white box" 14.4 Zoltrix for $30ish I think it was at a fair.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.