Reply 51140 of 52804, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-12-09, 03:00:
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-12-09, 02:29:
DerBaum wrote on 2023-12-08, 20:37:
For my midi sound setup i got a Alesis D4 Drum module. 2023-12-08 21.18.01.jpg For 40 euros i couldnt say no... […]
Show full quote

For my midi sound setup i got a Alesis D4 Drum module.
2023-12-08 21.18.01.jpg
For 40 euros i couldnt say no...

I already have a Alesis SR 16 Drum Computer and the quality is ok and the sounds are usable...
But a rack unit looks nicer 😁

Are you using this for DOS gaming? If so, I'd be interested in learning about how it works? For example, can you just reroute the drum sounds to it and play the other instruments with another device?

It's not a GM device so wouldn't work with DOS gaming. You'd need a way to remap the instruments, plus there is the issue of instrument balancing.

Thanks. Glad there isn't another thing to add to my growing wish list (-:

Reply 51141 of 52804, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought my self a Christmas prezzie since I will be at work again this Christmas and I need something at the end of all this Overtime.

This one was a bit expensive but I rarely buy such pricey items, saw this Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW with dual Athlon MP 2200+ CPUs and 2gb of ECC memory and decided to add it to my retro collection, never had a dual Athlon XP/MP rig and this one has been recapped, BIOS updated and comes with a spare BIOS chip so its likely worth around what the seller wanted. Not sure if I should put Win2K on it or go with XP/98se + patches, it should be a pretty solid retro rig if I pair it with a X800 series GPU.

Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW.jpg
Filename
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW.jpg
File size
897.61 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW 2.jpg
Filename
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW 2.jpg
File size
550.17 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Which brings me to another small purchase of 4 GPUs that need a little restoration, I really only wanted one of the 4 in the bundle but the seller didn't want to separate them. The 4 cards are
- ATI Radeon X850 XT AGP 8X 256MB GDDR3
- ATI Radeon X800 Pro AGP 8X 256MB GDDR3
- ATI Radeon X1650 AGP 8X 512MB DDR2
- nVidia GeForce 7600 GS AGP 8X 256MB DDR2

X850XT X800.jpg
Filename
X850XT X800.jpg
File size
492.31 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Artic Silencer 4.jpg
Filename
Artic Silencer 4.jpg
File size
214.03 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Only wanted the X850 XT board which looks super clean and appears undamaged, getting a X850 XT AGP card is oddly difficult here in Australia and even on the bay they are kinda uncommon and expensive, Also grabbed a Arctic Silencer 4 cooler for it which is NIB. The 4 cards plus the Coolers was about 150 USD which isnt too bad if the X850XT and X800 Pro both work, if not well that's the gamble you take with untested gear. (Im fine with gambles)

Also grabbed this Fujitsu internal 640Mb MO drive to throw in it, I have a large collection of MO drives and disks but have never had an Internal one, this buy was an odd one, description has it for one lot which apparently has 10 items in it ...no idea if it was correct. I assume it for one drive only but who knows with eBay. (If its 10 drives then ...I guess I sell the other 8 )

Fujitsu 640 MO drive.jpg
Filename
Fujitsu 640 MO drive.jpg
File size
114.1 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 51142 of 52804, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I got this PCI 56k voice modem with Conexant chipset. Any opinions?
Also according to the part number, I seen that was a Wisecom hardware modem (not a software or winmodem)

Attachments

Reply 51143 of 52804, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I bought a carton of 500 floppies... individual packs of ten 1.44MB 3.5" diskettes, new old stock that's still sealed! They appear to be fairly ancient relics, the blurb on the back of each pack proudly proclaims that they are factory formatted "for IBM PS/2's and other systems (model 30 286, 50 and higher) using 1.44MB capacity drives".

I haven't opened any of the packs for testing yet but they appear to be in pretty good shape. I'll never need to bother reformatting and re-using old floppies again!

Paid $20 for the entire carton which works out to 4 cents per diskette which is an absolute bargain hahaha....

Attachments

Reply 51144 of 52804, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kdr wrote on 2023-12-09, 19:51:

Yesterday I bought a carton of 500 floppies... individual packs of ten 1.44MB 3.5" diskettes, new old stock that's still sealed! They appear to be fairly ancient relics, the blurb on the back of each pack proudly proclaims that they are factory formatted "for IBM PS/2's and other systems (model 30 286, 50 and higher) using 1.44MB capacity drives".

I haven't opened any of the packs for testing yet but they appear to be in pretty good shape. I'll never need to bother reformatting and re-using old floppies again!

Paid $20 for the entire carton which works out to 4 cents per diskette which is an absolute bargain hahaha....

That's awesome. I don't know New Zealand's climate but I imagine it's dry? If so they should be in great shape still. I always had good luck with old discs in California anyway.

Reply 51145 of 52804, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've complained about the lack of electronics/computer parts at thrift stores around here in FL, but on my last trip I found this:

box1.jpg
Filename
box1.jpg
File size
166.2 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Not terribly exciting, but it was a novelty to find any old computer part that's not a monitor.

I don't like laggy "high speed" CD drives, but inside the box I found this:

driveInBox.jpg
Filename
driveInBox.jpg
File size
180.26 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

which the internet says is an 8X - so I bought it. I've liked my 4X and 6X drives, never used an 8X but hopefully it's still sane and nicely behaved.

drivelabels_noPlastic.jpg
Filename
File size
144.01 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

weirdly there are 2 sets of jumpers, and the label doesn't explain this:

jumpers.jpg
Filename
jumpers.jpg
File size
78.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Do I move them together? Just one? I have no idea.

The eject button is light and responsive, the tray opens and closes quickly, but it grinds.
It never spins the disc, and Win98 gives a "not ready" error when trying to use the drive.
I'm guessing it has a broken belt and needs lubrication.
I've never opened an optical drive or attempted these type of repairs, but I need to learn that stuff sometime.
If it is a broken belt, I'm afraid it may be hard to get an accurate enough measurement of how long it is.

Reply 51146 of 52804, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote on 2023-12-09, 21:07:
I've complained about the lack of electronics/computer parts at thrift stores around here in FL, but on my last trip I found thi […]
Show full quote

I've complained about the lack of electronics/computer parts at thrift stores around here in FL, but on my last trip I found this:
box1.jpg
Not terribly exciting, but it was a novelty to find any old computer part that's not a monitor.

I don't like laggy "high speed" CD drives, but inside the box I found this:
driveInBox.jpg
which the internet says is an 8X - so I bought it. I've liked my 4X and 6X drives, never used an 8X but hopefully it's still sane and nicely behaved.

weirdly there are 2 sets of jumpers, and the label doesn't explain this:
jumpers.jpg
Do I move them together? Just one? I have no idea.

The eject button is light and responsive, the tray opens and closes quickly, but it grinds.
It never spins the disc, and Win98 gives a "not ready" error when trying to use the drive.
I'm guessing it has a broken belt and needs lubrication.
I've never opened an optical drive or attempted these type of repairs, but I need to learn that stuff sometime.
If it is a broken belt, I'm afraid it may be hard to get an accurate enough measurement of how long it is.

The belt tends to drive the tray. the cd itself is mostly directly driven by a motor. It not spinning tends to indicate the drive not seeing a cd which can be due to a dirty or broken laser.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 51147 of 52804, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I chuckled.

Screenshot_20231209-225148~2.png
Filename
File size
361.18 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 51148 of 52804, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroPC_King wrote on 2023-12-09, 16:50:

Also according to the part number, I seen that was a Wisecom hardware modem (not a software or winmodem)

Just out of curiosity. Is there interesting things to do with modems today?

I accidentally got a box full of modems and I don't know what to do with it

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 51149 of 52804, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2023-12-09, 21:54:

I chuckled.

I'm trying to guess what Sheldon Cooper would have said.
Btw, it's good low level marketing: twicing things 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 51150 of 52804, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kdr wrote on 2023-12-09, 19:51:

Bargain? This is a memorable purchase!!

Reply 51151 of 52804, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2023-12-09, 22:19:
RetroPC_King wrote on 2023-12-09, 16:50:

Just out of curiosity. Is there interesting things to do with modems today?

I accidentally got a box full of modems and I don't know what to do with it

I've seen some videos of guys creating their own home ISP that works with their modem. I'm not sure how difficult it would be or how much it would cost.

Reply 51152 of 52804, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's there any useful game or application that would benefit from a modem that a LAN adapter couldn't fulfill? I'm not talking about the "experience" of using a modem but rather a game where multiplayer only works via a modem, etc.

Reply 51153 of 52804, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-12-10, 04:35:

It's there any useful game or application that would benefit from a modem that a LAN adapter couldn't fulfill? I'm not talking about the "experience" of using a modem but rather a game where multiplayer only works via a modem, etc.

Perhaps some of the oldder games that came before LAN and needed a modem hookup to work, BBS games come to mind.

Reply 51154 of 52804, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's the December 2023 edition of BitWrangler bought a weird heatsink fan again. IDK if the weird ones just find me or what, Scythe Big Shuriken this time. IDK either why there seems to be a higher proportion of CPU coolers turning up in thrifts vs any other parts here either, except optical drives, always a bunch of those. Use-able size IDE HDD are a bit rarer though so grabbed a 160GB for a socket 370/A/478 or something, maybe it's good, maybe I overpaid for fridge magnets.

The sink I'm seeing is supposed to handle up to 135W, I picked it up considering the overhead clearance issues I have in an Apex ITX case, I don't know if it's good for horizontal clearances yet, I'll find out. Though I can probably put it to work elsewhere too. I am thinking now that if it goes in good, the L5430 that I"m putting in there might find itself told it's actually a 1600FSB CPU since I've probably got power headroom and if this fits cooling headroom.

Unpictured, grabbed a ThinkVision L193pC monitor, because it was all "You really gonna let me sit here for a measly $10, c'mon bro, it's like $10, what you gonna do with $10 these days, buy a pop? ..." ... yeah I thunk it would find a use might displace one of the older blurrier 17s. Not sure how it is for modes yet.

Attachments

• 10dec23hw.jpg
    Filename
    10dec23hw.jpg
    File size
    416.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Scythe BIG Shuriken, and DiamondMax 9
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 51155 of 52804, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-12-10, 23:27:

It's the December 2023 edition of BitWrangler bought a weird heatsink fan again. IDK if the weird ones just find me or what, Scythe Big Shuriken this time. IDK either why there seems to be a higher proportion of CPU coolers turning up in thrifts vs any other parts here either, except optical drives, always a bunch of those. Use-able size IDE HDD are a bit rarer though so grabbed a 160GB for a socket 370/A/478 or something, maybe it's good, maybe I overpaid for fridge magnets.

The sink I'm seeing is supposed to handle up to 135W, I picked it up considering the overhead clearance issues I have in an Apex ITX case, I don't know if it's good for horizontal clearances yet, I'll find out. Though I can probably put it to work elsewhere too. I am thinking now that if it goes in good, the L5430 that I"m putting in there might find itself told it's actually a 1600FSB CPU since I've probably got power headroom and if this fits cooling headroom.

Unpictured, grabbed a ThinkVision L193pC monitor, because it was all "You really gonna let me sit here for a measly $10, c'mon bro, it's like $10, what you gonna do with $10 these days, buy a pop? ..." ... yeah I thunk it would find a use might displace one of the older blurrier 17s. Not sure how it is for modes yet.

IIRC it was a good h/s. Unless you put it in a shed you're going to tell us how it performs.
What is a "pop" exactly?

Reply 51157 of 52804, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-12-11, 00:35:

"Pop" is a "soda", aka "soda pop".

I've been watching too much crime shows... 🤣
I thought it was a different thing.

Reply 51158 of 52804, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nexxen wrote on 2023-12-11, 00:09:

IIRC it was a good h/s. Unless you put it in a shed you're going to tell us how it performs.
What is a "pop" exactly?

Yes, soda pop, fizzy drink, carbonated minerals, chinotto kinda thing, or even as those Southerners say "coke" 🤣 ... $1o is a slight exaggeration for "street price" but you'll see near that and higher at the cinema or events.

I feel like I should get the shed test out of the way first though, which kind should I drop on it, an amish built rough hewn post barn, or a home improvement store tin shack? 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 51159 of 52804, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nexxen wrote on 2023-12-11, 00:48:
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-12-11, 00:35:

"Pop" is a "soda", aka "soda pop".

I've been watching too much crime shows... 🤣
I thought it was a different thing.

🤣 "pop" not "pot"

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun