Topic actions

Reply 51320 of 52813, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2024-01-03, 18:36:

100%

Please tell me I wasn't the only one that got triggered?

I know I'm classified as a neurodivergent by the current generation. But it's not just me, right?

I'd bet that at a good number of people here are on the spectrum, as a lot of people here share traits that overlap with Asperger's and other similar conditions. These include attention to the small details, an intense preoccupation with niche subjects, and even hoarding to some degree. I have OCD, which shares some similarities with these conditions and feel right at home here. This is a niche hobby, but this community can be so helpful when I need to know something about computers that have been obsolete for decades. I love how being nitpicky over the orientation of a chip on a board isn't frowned upon here.

Reply 51321 of 52813, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-01-04, 01:06:

100%

I know I'm classified as a neurodivergent by the current generation. But it's not just me, right?

I'd bet that at a good number of people here are on the spectrum, as a lot of people here share traits that overlap with Asperger's and other similar conditions. These include attention to the small details, an intense preoccupation with niche subjects, and even hoarding to some degree. I have OCD, which shares some similarities with these conditions and feel right at home here. This is a niche hobby, but this community can be so helpful when I need to know something about computers that have been obsolete for decades. I love how being nitpicky over the orientation of a chip on a board isn't frowned upon here.

It's nice to see someone mention this. I've never been diagnosed but suspect I'm mildly ASD because both my kids are, and my wife probably is too 😀

Reply 51322 of 52813, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-01-03, 21:59:
Jccwu wrote on 2024-01-03, 17:54:
luckybob wrote on 2024-01-03, 16:52:

OMG... the TO-220 chip being upside down is bothering me to NO END.

I would re-spin that board, and do it correctly. whoever did that needs to be slapped.

that better?

Please tell me it's the real design of that board and not something you flipped around? Turning the component will definitely make it not working ...

OK this is what I am thinking as well - if the owner just decided to flip that TO-220 (transistor?) around on his own volition that card is going to end up in a real bad place..

You can't fix a faulty pcb by just deciding to mount the IC the right way around..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 51323 of 52813, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, the TO-220 wasn't flipped around. It's just a completely different board.
I'm sure everyone noticed...
I also wonder if someone noticed this electrolytic above the DIP-8 chip.

This surely is some prototype card with all those nasty little bugs beeing wiped out with the next revision.
All in all the build quality doesn't look too bad to me given that it's almost all THT components which take a lot of time to assemble by hand.

Reply 51324 of 52813, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2024-01-03, 21:44:
On-topic. Got myself four mystery boxes for 50 euro. ... -Maxdata PC with an Asus CUSI-M and a Celeron 1000A, can these run at 1 […]
Show full quote

On-topic. Got myself four mystery boxes for 50 euro.
-Maxdata PC with an Asus CUSI-M and a Celeron 1000A, can these run at 1333 easily?

That Celeron 1000"A" is a Tualatin, right?
Didn't know the CUSI-M would support Tualatin at all having the SiS 630"E" chipset (and no "T" variant).
Can you confirm these two can work together?

Edit:
Can you post a picture and maybe the exact model name of that Maxdata box? Just for the sake of knowing how the home of my CUSI-M board could have looked like originally...

Reply 51325 of 52813, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisK wrote on 2024-01-04, 09:28:
That Celeron 1000"A" is a Tualatin, right? Didn't know the CUSI-M would support Tualatin at all having the SiS 630"E" chipset (a […]
Show full quote
PD2JK wrote on 2024-01-03, 21:44:
On-topic. Got myself four mystery boxes for 50 euro. ... -Maxdata PC with an Asus CUSI-M and a Celeron 1000A, can these run at 1 […]
Show full quote

On-topic. Got myself four mystery boxes for 50 euro.
-Maxdata PC with an Asus CUSI-M and a Celeron 1000A, can these run at 1333 easily?

That Celeron 1000"A" is a Tualatin, right?
Didn't know the CUSI-M would support Tualatin at all having the SiS 630"E" chipset (and no "T" variant).
Can you confirm these two can work together?

Edit:
Can you post a picture and maybe the exact model name of that Maxdata box? Just for the sake of knowing how the home of my CUSI-M board could have looked like originally...

Tualatin Celerons dont require chipset "Tualatin" motherboard support so long as the bios supports them and can provide the 1.45v Vcore. (This board supports both the 1000 and 1100 Tualeron)

Reply 51326 of 52813, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woops, my bad. Just an ordinary Celeron 1000, the coppermine version.
Don't have a Tualeron, but I do have a Tualatin and could run some tests. Anyway, pics attached.
Big case for such a small board.

Attachments

• DSC_7694.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_7694.JPG
    File size
    991.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • DSC_7693.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_7693.JPG
    File size
    968.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • DSC_7692.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_7692.JPG
    File size
    962.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • DSC_7691.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_7691.JPG
    File size
    1.17 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 51327 of 52813, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2024-01-03, 16:52:

OMG... the TO-220 chip being upside down is bothering me to NO END.

I would re-spin that board, and do it correctly. whoever did that needs to be slapped.

that better?

Please tell me it's the real design of that board and not something you flipped around? Turning the component will definitely make it not working ...

This is a working copy with the correct contact routing for the voltage stabilizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPFM3fwD7b0&ab

Reply 51328 of 52813, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PD2JK wrote on 2024-01-04, 11:26:
Woops, my bad. Just an ordinary Celeron 1000, the coppermine version. Don't have a Tualeron, but I do have a Tualatin and could […]
Show full quote

Woops, my bad. Just an ordinary Celeron 1000, the coppermine version.
Don't have a Tualeron, but I do have a Tualatin and could run some tests. Anyway, pics attached.
Big case for such a small board.

Great, thank you!

Reply 51329 of 52813, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2024-01-04, 06:13:

that better?

OK this is what I am thinking as well - if the owner just decided to flip that TO-220 (transistor?) around on his own volition that card is going to end up in a real bad place..

You can't fix a faulty pcb by just deciding to mount the IC the right way around..

It is something to beware of with TO-220 and other style transistors, the pinout might not be the same as planned, BCE vs ECB or EBC or DGS,SGD,SDG etc of course for FET... either this is because the footprint is wrong in the CAD, occasionally that later in life the pinout changes, or that it was an equivalent substitution for the same gain and power handling but it was pinned different. You may find this in repairs, that you can get an equivalent, but it's hard to find the same pinout, so you end up having to mount it "backwards" or with crossed legs.

A thing to beware of if you see an "upside down" transistor that you want to fix is that it may be intentionally that way up because the case is not referenced to the ground or power planes it might otherwise come into contact with. To put it down on the board could require mica shim and nylon bolt to keep it properly isolated. Especially if power handling is getting up over an amp or two, and while the surface of the board is fine, a metal bolt might cause flashover between layers inside the board.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 51330 of 52813, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Scored on local market Logitech soundcard sporting mighty thunder chip with authentic YMF262 sound.
No jumpers on early '93 card!?! Must be black magic...
I'm slightly worried about yellow bits. Are those tantalum caps? I hope they will not "brighten" my day.

However before I can test it I need to deal with ISA B05 pin voltage on my SS7+ MB with only ATX PSU connector.

Attachments

Reply 51331 of 52813, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vutt wrote on 2024-01-04, 16:57:
Scored on local market Logitech soundcard sporting mighty thunder chip with authentic YMF262 sound. No jumpers on early '93 card […]
Show full quote

Scored on local market Logitech soundcard sporting mighty thunder chip with authentic YMF262 sound.
No jumpers on early '93 card!?! Must be black magic...
I'm slightly worried about yellow bits. Are those tantalum caps? I hope they will not "brighten" my day.

However before I can test it I need to deal with ISA B05 pin voltage on my SS7+ MB with only ATX PSU connector.

Yellow parts are indeed tantalums.

Reply 51332 of 52813, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not buying one, but I have bought some parts from this place before. It is so refreshing to see one of these places giving old hardware enthusiasts the option of buying some of this stuff instead of insisting that it all has to be scrapped.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 51333 of 52813, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-01-04, 01:06:

100%

Autism and computers go together like chocolate and peanut butter...

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 51334 of 52813, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-01-04, 21:15:

I prefer fried eggs and strawberry jam, or cheese and Marmite. Not a real fan of peanut butter 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 51335 of 52813, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2024-01-04, 21:50:

I prefer fried eggs and strawberry jam, or cheese and Marmite. Not a real fan of peanut butter 😀

Actually, it shouldn't be called peanut butter because it doesn't contain any dairy products in it (-:

Reply 51336 of 52813, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-01-05, 01:44:
debs3759 wrote on 2024-01-04, 21:50:

Actually, it shouldn't be called peanut butter because it doesn't contain any dairy products in it (-:

We call it 'peanut cheese' but there is no cheese in it. 😒

I think an off-topic message also requires something on-topic. Hereby.
Another mystery box, those two Celeron badges got my attention. Could it be? Yes.

Attachments

• DSC_7734.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_7734.JPG
    File size
    696.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 51337 of 52813, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A couple of Voodoo2 things from me today. Firstly I found this on eBay, the original software CD and sleeve for my STB Blackmagic 3D cards. The software is already on archive.org but it's nice to have the legit copy, and the sleeve of course. If anyone out there has the box...!

Attachments

Reply 51338 of 52813, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And I also got this neat SLI bridge to replace my ribbon cable. Nothing wrong with the ribbon, I just think this is a little bit different. Quite a nice little addition I think.

Attachments

Reply 51339 of 52813, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But wait, theres more! because I have no self control anymore it seems

I used to use these on my motherboards back in the day and now I've finally found another one. But, it's unused and complete, so now I'm debating if I actually want to use it or not. I guess I'll wait until one of the NB fans dies and I actually need it.

Attachments