VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 51360 of 52976, by Karbist

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought an Asus P3B-F bundle advertised as not working dirty cheap, it came with P3 800/256/133 cpu and one stick of ram,
well there was nothing wrong with the board or cpu, but the poor ram:

Ram.jpg
Filename
Ram.jpg
File size
498.08 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 51361 of 52976, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Karbist wrote on 2024-01-07, 13:22:

I bought an Asus P3B-F bundle advertised as not working dirty cheap, it came with P3 800/256/133 cpu and one stick of ram,
Ram.jpg

Oh wow ...it takes a good amount of force or heat to crack a chip like that. (Looks like it may have gotten too hot as I cant see any other damaged related to bending or trying to pry it up)

Reply 51362 of 52976, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not quite on topic, but I think it’s still relevant. I started making mounting strips for stainless steel circuit boards. Just take a look.
Sound Blaster Pro
Sound Blaster AWE32/64/Gold
Gravis Ultrasound Classic/PnP
3Dfx Voodoo 1-2-3-4
Ess Sound Card
Tekram Controller ВС-680/690
and more

Attachments

Reply 51363 of 52976, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-01-07, 12:52:
There is a HD4350, HD5450 and HD7350 model too, nothing for the HD6000 or HD8000 OEM series though. […]
Show full quote
acl wrote on 2024-01-07, 12:12:
I might try anyway 😃 […]
Show full quote
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-01-07, 11:17:

No, unless you consider power point slide shows to be "Running" Crysis 🤣.

I might try anyway 😃

zuldan wrote on 2024-01-07, 11:53:

Is there anything special about the Radeon HD3450 PCI or it’s just a random PCI card you found?

It's a late PCI (not express) card. DX10.1 compatible.

Nothing special about it. It's among the latest/most powerful ones. (But there are a few more powerful pci cards).

Any PCI graphics card newer than ~2002 is not super common. Especially DX9+ ones.

There is a HD4350, HD5450 and HD7350 model too, nothing for the HD6000 or HD8000 OEM series though.

IIRC the GT430 PCI would be the last PCI card from nVidia, I could be wrong and there is some obscure later model but I doubt it. (Been after one of the Zotac GT430 PCI models for a long while now, either they are too expensive or no shipping to AUS)

The other option for nVidia is a 8400GS PCI or 9400GT PCI

I have the 7350 PCI and its an ok SFF additional display card if you really dont have anything better 🤣.

I have the Sparkle 9400GT PCI it's not bad for being PCI, though you'd really only want to play games older than the card. IIRC it put the WEI graphics score to 3.5 up from 2 on chipset onboard GFX. I think there were some GT210 rebranded versions of it also.

I originally intended to use it in a Dell that cut it's addressable memory in half if you used PCIe graphics, only 2GB available. But the damn thing was so obtuse that it won't initialise graphics in a regular PCI slot ... there was another OEM machine that behaved like this also but details are escaping me on that one. It works great in systems where there are more options 🤣 That might be a factor in why PCI cards fizzled out, you couldn't bandaid the broken design of cheapo systems any more they were too broke. I'm not saying it never works, but it feels to me like late PCI gfx do best if you haven't got AGP, rather than haven't got PCIe... meaning if the chipset would have supported AGP but it's tied to the integrated, or wasn't brought out to a slot, then PCI is likely to work. If it's a system with internal PCIe, no matter how bad your other options, the PCI gfx are much less likely to work. Feels similar to where late PCI/AGP systems don't bother initialising ISA graphics. DDR-DDR2 also might be an inflection point, indicating a cutoff where PCI graphics support is less likely. Just saying be cautious, don't be paying the now very inflated PCI card prices hoping it will solve a problem on one of the systems that fits the post AGP, DDR2+ archetype, without a lot of googling to see if it works on that machine because the dice look loaded against it. There must be some cases where they are more ideal though or the later ones would be cheaper and easier to find.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 51364 of 52976, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-01-07, 16:15:
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-01-07, 12:52:
There is a HD4350, HD5450 and HD7350 model too, nothing for the HD6000 or HD8000 OEM series though. […]
Show full quote
acl wrote on 2024-01-07, 12:12:
I might try anyway 😃 […]
Show full quote

I might try anyway 😃

It's a late PCI (not express) card. DX10.1 compatible.

Nothing special about it. It's among the latest/most powerful ones. (But there are a few more powerful pci cards).

Any PCI graphics card newer than ~2002 is not super common. Especially DX9+ ones.

There is a HD4350, HD5450 and HD7350 model too, nothing for the HD6000 or HD8000 OEM series though.

IIRC the GT430 PCI would be the last PCI card from nVidia, I could be wrong and there is some obscure later model but I doubt it. (Been after one of the Zotac GT430 PCI models for a long while now, either they are too expensive or no shipping to AUS)

The other option for nVidia is a 8400GS PCI or 9400GT PCI

I have the 7350 PCI and its an ok SFF additional display card if you really dont have anything better 🤣.

I have the Sparkle 9400GT PCI it's not bad for being PCI, though you'd really only want to play games older than the card. IIRC it put the WEI graphics score to 3.5 up from 2 on chipset onboard GFX. I think there were some GT210 rebranded versions of it also.

I originally intended to use it in a Dell that cut it's addressable memory in half if you used PCIe graphics, only 2GB available. But the damn thing was so obtuse that it won't initialise graphics in a regular PCI slot ... there was another OEM machine that behaved like this also but details are escaping me on that one. It works great in systems where there are more options 🤣 That might be a factor in why PCI cards fizzled out, you couldn't bandaid the broken design of cheapo systems any more they were too broke. I'm not saying it never works, but it feels to me like late PCI gfx do best if you haven't got AGP, rather than haven't got PCIe... meaning if the chipset would have supported AGP but it's tied to the integrated, or wasn't brought out to a slot, then PCI is likely to work. If it's a system with internal PCIe, no matter how bad your other options, the PCI gfx are much less likely to work. Feels similar to where late PCI/AGP systems don't bother initialising ISA graphics. DDR-DDR2 also might be an inflection point, indicating a cutoff where PCI graphics support is less likely. Just saying be cautious, don't be paying the now very inflated PCI card prices hoping it will solve a problem on one of the systems that fits the post AGP, DDR2+ archetype, without a lot of googling to see if it works on that machine because the dice look loaded against it. There must be some cases where they are more ideal though or the later ones would be cheaper and easier to find.

I know there are 1Gb GT520 and GT610 PCI cards which are technically newer than the GT430 but neither is as powerful so the 430 really is the last real PCI GPU. IIRC the GT210, GT410, GT520, GT610 and GT710 are all the same GPU just rebranded, though the GT710 does have several versions of it using different cores and memory.

Last edited by Trashbytes on 2024-01-07, 17:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 51365 of 52976, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I AM EXCITED.
Just planned to pick up a soundcard in around 3 hours...
I was watching it for around 4 weeks and finally it dropped into my pricerange... And i think i will still overpay for it.
A Aztech MMSN847 .
Here is a symbolic picture from pc-schnulli.de :
waverider%20pro%2032-3d.jpg
https://www.pc-schnulli.de/hardw/skisa/azskisa.html

Its one of the very few Aztech wavetable cards. It uses a rebranded ICS 2115V Wavefront wavetable.
I will pay 60 Euros for it. My limit was 50... but... i want it... It started with extremely reasonable 120 euros, wich are probably based on the extremely inflated ebay prices.

If i have it in my hands i will post some actual pictures.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 51366 of 52976, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jccwu wrote on 2024-01-07, 14:46:
Not quite on topic, but I think it’s still relevant. I started making mounting strips for stainless steel circuit boards. Just t […]
Show full quote

Not quite on topic, but I think it’s still relevant. I started making mounting strips for stainless steel circuit boards. Just take a look.
Sound Blaster Pro
3Dfx Voodoo 1-2-3-4
Ess Sound Card
and more

Nice. Do you sell? I'm still looking for brackets for my Snark Barker.

Reply 51367 of 52976, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-07, 17:21:
I AM EXCITED. Just planned to pick up a soundcard in around 3 hours... I was watching it for around 4 weeks and finally it dropp […]
Show full quote

I AM EXCITED.
Just planned to pick up a soundcard in around 3 hours...
I was watching it for around 4 weeks and finally it dropped into my pricerange... And i think i will still overpay for it.
A Aztech MMSN847 .
Here is a symbolic picture from pc-schnulli.de :
waverider%20pro%2032-3d.jpg
https://www.pc-schnulli.de/hardw/skisa/azskisa.html

Its one of the very few Aztech wavetable cards. It uses a rebranded ICS 2115V Wavefront wavetable.
I will pay 60 Euros for it. My limit was 50... but... i want it... It started with extremely reasonable 120 euros, wich are probably based on the extremely inflated ebay prices.

If i have it in my hands i will post some actual pictures.

Looks nice.

I'm not a sound card expert so i'm sorry if my question seems basic :
How do you switch between the integrated wavetable synthesis and an external midi expander ? Do they have different addresses ?

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 51368 of 52976, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2024-01-07, 19:38:

How do you switch between the integrated wavetable synthesis and an external midi expander ? Do they have different addresses ?

THAT is a pretty good question... And i dont know the answer 😁
I guess i will figure it out when i test the card.

2024-01-07 21.18.29.jpg
Filename
2024-01-07 21.18.29.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 51369 of 52976, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ram.jpg

Just a hairline fracture. Some tape will fix that right up. 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 51370 of 52976, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Not quite on topic, but I think it’s still relevant. I started making mounting strips for stainless steel circuit boards. Just t […]
Show full quote

Sound Blaster Pro
3Dfx Voodoo 1-2-3-4
Ess Sound Card
and more

Those look really slick and honestly something I think we need more of. Just having replacements for basic parts like that is really handy.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 51371 of 52976, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

Sound Blaster Pro
3Dfx Voodoo 1-2-3-4
Ess Sound Card
and more

Very nice work!

Reply 51372 of 52976, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

Sound Blaster Pro
3Dfx Voodoo 1-2-3-4
Ess Sound Card
and more

Very nice! Will you sell them?

Reply 51373 of 52976, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ram.jpg

I think that is known as a memory leak.

I loved my P3B-F when it was new. I wish I hadn't sold it. (I have 3 of them NOW, but I kinda want my origional...)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 51374 of 52976, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
acl wrote on 2024-01-07, 19:38:
[...] […]
Show full quote

[...]

Looks nice.

I'm not a sound card expert so i'm sorry if my question seems basic :

You don't, it only has one UART MIDI so the same instructions go to the onboard synth as to anything on the external connector. Only way to switch is to selectively mute the one or the other.

Reply 51375 of 52976, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2024-01-07, 21:11:
Show full quote

Sound Blaster Pro
3Dfx Voodoo 1-2-3-4
Ess Sound Card
and more

Very nice! Will you sell them?

Yes, I'm selling. I've done a lot

Reply 51376 of 52976, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

Sound Blaster Pro
3Dfx Voodoo 1-2-3-4
Ess Sound Card
and more

That is pretty cool actually, where do you get them made, how much do they cost and are they for sale?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 51377 of 52976, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

some guy is selling two 8bits isa cards. one is a serial + parallel controller. but the second one, seems to be a parallel (printer) + "something ".
that something I think is video. but I´ve been unable to identify what kind.
the picture have bad quality., anything I´ve done to improve it dont give clearer text. so I can not be sure the IC identity, beside its froms Yamaha. I think is V636J or V838J or something like that. the date seems to be 1987.
does anyone recognize it?
the two chips in sockets to its left pretty sure are vram, and the top left is the EPROM.
Im looking for 8bit or 16bit but 8bit friendly ISA VGA cards , and this one may be useful. but I think is CGA or EGA.

Attachments

Last edited by kinetix on 2024-01-08, 06:42. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 51378 of 52976, by Jccwu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-01-08, 06:09:
Show full quote

Sound Blaster Pro
3Dfx Voodoo 1-2-3-4
Ess Sound Card
and more

That is pretty cool actually, where do you get them made, how much do they cost and are they for sale?

I cut it with a laser from a sheet of stainless steel. If we translate into your money, then approximately $3 per piece.

Reply 51379 of 52976, by Deano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Went into local computer shop to pick up the cheapest modern E-ATX case, as didn't have an era appropriate E-ATX around, and asked about a Quadro 1100 AGP card they have on the website. That was a mistake on the website but he dig around and found a few AGP cards.

Most were usual low end 5200/5500's but picked up a Asus NV5900XT for 25 levs (about 13 EU), works a treat in my dual P-III system 😀

Game dev since last century