VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 51420 of 52816, by Susanin79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-01-11, 10:00:

EISA sounds really complicated. I watched a video from LGR on MCA and it looked equally confusing. Both PnP ISA and PCI "just work". What's up with these other two slots? Is VLB this difficult?

I should check not only two last slots, probably it will works in other slots. Will play with this later evening.
I have never had an EISA boards, this is the first 😀 It would be good to test how it works in compare to the more modern 486VLB
VLB cards so depended from bus speed and it is hard to deal with them if you need to overclock the system.

Reply 51421 of 52816, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Susanin79 wrote on 2024-01-11, 10:19:
I should check not only two last slots, probably it will works in other slots. Will play with this later evening. I have never h […]
Show full quote

EISA sounds really complicated. I watched a video from LGR on MCA and it looked equally confusing. Both PnP ISA and PCI "just work". What's up with these other two slots? Is VLB this difficult?

I should check not only two last slots, probably it will works in other slots. Will play with this later evening.
I have never had an EISA boards, this is the first 😀 It would be good to test how it works in compare to the more modern 486VLB
VLB cards so depended from bus speed and it is hard to deal with them if you need to overclock the system.

EISA runs at 8.33 Mhz, MCA runs at 10Mhz so Im not sure itll overclock any better than ISA does, VLB should be far faster than either in both bus speed and bandwidth.

Reply 51422 of 52816, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2024-01-09, 14:10:
Susanin79 wrote on 2024-01-09, 09:36:

Bought this nice early 486 EISA kit for my 486 build. Have never works with the EISA so it will be a good journey 😀
Seller has no any EISA config files, there will be another task how to configure all this stuff. At least it can boot.
Based on my research it looks identical to this board: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/digicom-digis-486e

Do love old EISA kit 😀

Not sure on the motherboard ECU / config files (will have a dig around later) but the Adaptec ones should be easy enough and the Olivetti EVC-1 files can be found here - http://66.113.161.23/~mR_Slug/EISA/!OLI1011.CFG/

I was half tempted to build an EISA system at some point, but changed my mind. I'm still curious about that type of systems.
What's the purpose of these config files ? Does the mainboard needs special settings to use the EISA cards ?
(Where can i read more about EISA in general ?)

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 51423 of 52816, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And it just arrived.

Those VL-ISA (con1) and Data Security & Virus Protect (con5, not pinned) are curious. Maybe some read-only mode or something.

DSC_7816.JPG
Filename
DSC_7816.JPG
File size
810.86 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 51424 of 52816, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
acl wrote on 2024-01-11, 10:55:
I was half tempted to build an EISA system at some point, but changed my mind. I'm still curious about that type of systems. Wha […]
Show full quote
Susanin79 wrote on 2024-01-09, 09:36:

Bought this nice early 486 EISA kit for my 486 build. Have never works with the EISA so it will be a good journey 😀
Seller has no any EISA config files, there will be another task how to configure all this stuff. At least it can boot.
Based on my research it looks identical to this board: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/digicom-digis-486e

Do love old EISA kit 😀

Not sure on the motherboard ECU / config files (will have a dig around later) but the Adaptec ones should be easy enough and the Olivetti EVC-1 files can be found here - http://66.113.161.23/~mR_Slug/EISA/!OLI1011.CFG/

I was half tempted to build an EISA system at some point, but changed my mind. I'm still curious about that type of systems.
What's the purpose of these config files ? Does the mainboard needs special settings to use the EISA cards ?

Try this - http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/bcprServices/EISA_Chapter_4.pdf

Reply 51425 of 52816, by Susanin79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have use this document to understand the config file format too. Here is the full document, located at the same site: http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/bcprServices/EIS … cation_v3.1.pdf

Reply 51426 of 52816, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Susanin79 wrote on 2024-01-11, 10:19:
I should check not only two last slots, probably it will works in other slots. Will play with this later evening. I have never h […]
Show full quote

What did the EISA Config Utility (ECU) report when you tried to load that !OPT0000.CFG config file against the mainboard?

Also notice the mainboard has an EISA/ISA card config toggle (jumper JP1) - wonder if it thinks jumper is closed (ISA) rather than open (EISA)

May be worth opening a new thread for this topic

Reply 51427 of 52816, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2024-01-11, 11:19:
acl wrote on 2024-01-11, 10:55:
I was half tempted to build an EISA system at some point, but changed my mind. I'm still curious about that type of systems. Wha […]
Show full quote

Do love old EISA kit 😀

Try this - http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/bcprServices/EISA_Chapter_4.pdf

Thank you !

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 51428 of 52816, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-01-09, 05:03:
There's a local recycler that lists a ton of stuff on eBay. If you're lucky, you can get some really good deals through them, as […]
Show full quote

There's a local recycler that lists a ton of stuff on eBay. If you're lucky, you can get some really good deals through them, as local pickup is only $5. This time around I picked up a couple of laptops, a server, and some other goodies.

Both laptops were made by NEC, which I don't know much about, but they were cheap, so I put in a bid for each of them. The first is a Versa M/75, which has a 486DX 75MHz CPU and 8MB ram under the hood. I'm looking forward to this one the most, as I've never owned a 486 and it looks like it would be perfect for the COVOX/DSS sound device that I recently purchased.

NEC_versa_m75.jpg

The only downside is that it has a big crack in it close to the hinge, but I got it for under $30 total, so I can't complain.

Versa M/75 is a nice piece of kit.
Here's a page on my website going into a bit of detail on them: https://macdat.net/pc/nec/versa_m_home.html
Specs are there, and there's a page on common faults, which I really only have one thing to list there right now. It's the brittle plastic, which you've clearly already seen from that big ol' crack.
That thing should have built in sound, but it only works in Windows. Weird Crystal Business Audio thing that doesn't support FM synth stuff.
You're also going to want to remove the CMOS battery, as it's a type that leaks. Thankfully located away from the motherboard from my research.

I probably have too many old laptops.

Reply 51429 of 52816, by Gabriel-LG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-01-11, 01:10:

Good luck with that card, one of the worst GPUs ever produced by S3/Diamond and one of the big ones that bankrupted them and sent them to the grave, pretty sure they never released working drivers for that card, all the ones ive found are broken in some form or another. Even Unreal Tournament has issue with this card, a number of effects either dont work or have graphical issues, still its pretty cool seeing S3TC/Metal working nicely on correct hardware. When hunting down drivers for the Z200 try to avoid the latest ones with S3TL (Essentially Hybrid Software T&L written by S3, its terrible) as they have significant issues with games that use T&L.

A great novelty card for messing around with S3TC/ S3 Metal but not a card I would ever use in a build, another fun card is the Diamond Stealth III S540 which is a Savage 4 Pro GPU and fares a bit better with drivers being the older of the two.

I know it is a horrible card in terms of performance, driver support and compatibility. That is not what I am looking for in this card.
It is a card with historical significance. The Savage2000 was last attempt of S3 in terms of 3D gaming. It marks the end of both S3 and Diamond Multimedia.

Of course I will build it in and mess around with S3 metal, I just have a softspot for quirky hardware 😉

Thanks for the warning about the latest drivers btw, I will keep that in mind 😀

Reply 51430 of 52816, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
3lectr1c wrote on 2024-01-11, 14:34:
Versa M/75 is a nice piece of kit. Here's a page on my website going into a bit of detail on them: https://macdat.net/pc/nec/ve […]
Show full quote
There's a local recycler that lists a ton of stuff on eBay. If you're lucky, you can get some really good deals through them, as […]
Show full quote

There's a local recycler that lists a ton of stuff on eBay. If you're lucky, you can get some really good deals through them, as local pickup is only $5. This time around I picked up a couple of laptops, a server, and some other goodies.

Both laptops were made by NEC, which I don't know much about, but they were cheap, so I put in a bid for each of them. The first is a Versa M/75, which has a 486DX 75MHz CPU and 8MB ram under the hood. I'm looking forward to this one the most, as I've never owned a 486 and it looks like it would be perfect for the COVOX/DSS sound device that I recently purchased.

NEC_versa_m75.jpg

The only downside is that it has a big crack in it close to the hinge, but I got it for under $30 total, so I can't complain.

Here's a page on my website going into a bit of detail on them: https://macdat.net/pc/nec/versa_m_home.html
Specs are there, and there's a page on common faults, which I really only have one thing to list there right now. It's the brittle plastic, which you've clearly already seen from that big ol' crack.
That thing should have built in sound, but it only works in Windows. Weird Crystal Business Audio thing that doesn't support FM synth stuff.
You're also going to want to remove the CMOS battery, as it's a type that leaks. Thankfully located away from the motherboard from my research.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'll definitely open it up to check the battery. Interesting about the sound card as well.

Reply 51431 of 52816, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-01-11, 17:44:
3lectr1c wrote on 2024-01-11, 14:34:
Versa M/75 is a nice piece of kit. Here's a page on my website going into a bit of detail on them: https://macdat.net/pc/nec/ve […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

NEC_versa_m75.jpg

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'll definitely open it up to check the battery. Interesting about the sound card as well.

I bought a Savage 2000 when they were released. The cool graphics on the box convinced me it was going to be a big upgrade in graphics performance (I usually had one of the slow’ish computers at LAN parties). I remember going to my first LAN party with the Savage 2000 and trying out each game to see how it performed. To my horror, it was terrible at all the games. To make it worse, it crashed in some games too.

I learn’t a good lesson, don’t judge a book by it’s cover. Wish I had kept the card though.

Reply 51432 of 52816, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received this card the other day. I love hardware from this vintage, so chunky. Still need to clean it as it's a bit dusty and I haven't had a chance to test it yet. It has a bunch of slow-ass memory on it, I will see if swapping it out with 70ns will make a difference. Luckily all memory chips are socketed so should be easy. Looks like a good match for my 286.

Edit: PS, the 25Mhz oscillator has a small dent in it, not sure if that is something to worry about...

PXL_20240111_213407364.jpg
Filename
PXL_20240111_213407364.jpg
File size
973.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 51433 of 52816, by DW12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I've got an Audigy sound card in great shape:

IMG_20240111_205122_HDR.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240111_205122_HDR.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Also got this 256MB DDR SO-DIMM to upgrade the Fujitsu laptop I've got this week to 512MB of RAM total:

IMG_20240111_205236_HDR.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240111_205236_HDR.jpg
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 51434 of 52816, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DW12 wrote on 2024-01-11, 22:46:

Today I've got an Audigy sound card in great shape:

I am not sure if i have ever seen a SB0090 card with a sticker on the chipset... Only in press pictures they had this.

Very interesting.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 51435 of 52816, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i won this on ebay and the seller delivered. and i mean he really delivered. all 50 pounds of it.
leading edge winpro 486e, dx2-66, trident, soundblaster 16 and all the manuals and software.
my first 486. hooray!!!

winpro486e.front.jpg
Filename
winpro486e.front.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
winpro486e.interior.jpg
Filename
winpro486e.interior.jpg
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
trident.soundblaster16.jpg
Filename
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
opl.ymf262.jpg
Filename
opl.ymf262.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
winpro486e.extras.jpg
Filename
winpro486e.extras.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 51436 of 52816, by Veeb0rg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wirerogue wrote on 2024-01-12, 04:17:
i won this on ebay and the seller delivered. and i mean he really delivered. all 50 pounds of it. leading edge winpro 486e, dx2- […]
Show full quote

i won this on ebay and the seller delivered. and i mean he really delivered. all 50 pounds of it.
leading edge winpro 486e, dx2-66, trident, soundblaster 16 and all the manuals and software.
my first 486. hooray!!!

winpro486e.front.jpg
winpro486e.interior.jpg
opl.ymf262.jpg
winpro486e.extras.jpg

That is a thing of beauty. Great score!

Reply 51437 of 52816, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
i won this on ebay and the seller delivered. and i mean he really delivered. all 50 pounds of it. leading edge winpro 486e, dx2- […]
Show full quote

my first 486. hooray!!!

winpro486e.front.jpg
winpro486e.interior.jpg
opl.ymf262.jpg
winpro486e.extras.jpg

Wow! The seller did a pretty good job cleaning the whole thing.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 51438 of 52816, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last controller after: 486-1452CF and Pentium 2940U2W. This one fit in the Pentium 2/3 slot1

Attachments

Reply 51439 of 52816, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my first 486. hooray!!!

The whole set looks amazing! And it even has a quad speed CD-ROM drive!! 😲 Can you imagine how much quicker your games will load?? Wow