VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 51700 of 52878, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another random eBay SFF purchase arrived - a "Kiosk PC KP3 - B72" - which I found in a search looking around for badly described PCs. The tiny size really appealed to me - basically the same size as two normal 5.25" drives side by side!

IMG20240205114438.jpg
Filename
IMG20240205114438.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File comment
KPC3
File license
CC-BY-4.0

This model is the Celeron M 1.5Ghz, and it comes with a 512Mb SODIMM of DDR-266 RAM, a 40Gb 2.5" HDD, and a slim DVD-ROM (both on the secondary IDE channel, which has a 44-pin header).

IMG20240205114456.jpg
Filename
IMG20240205114456.jpg
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File comment
Inside KPC3
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I've never seen a legacy PC like this quite so small! Clearly it was intended for public kiosks - the manual talks about optional wall mounting kits etc., but although there is some grime under the CPU fan, it is relatively clean inside, so can't have seen that much use. (In fact I think most of the dark visible dust came from the wool packaging the seller had used - it looked like the compostable wool insulation you get in some mail order meat / meal deliveries). It also seems interesting that it came with a not just the power brick but manual and driver CD - but the seller seemed to be private and mainly dealing in homewares, so I'm intrigued where it came from and what it had been doing for the last 20 years ... someone had clearly been looking after it. The HDD is unfortunately wiped and not even partitioned.

(I can't find the manual anywhere online at all, so I'll happily scan it to add to theRetroWeb if wanted?)

The Intel i852 chipset looks like it has official Win98 iGPU drivers, so it seems like a great candidate to replace my VIA EPIA as a super compact Win98 system ...

It looks like there might JUST be enough room to fit an ESS Solo-1 into the PCI riser for DOS sound (max size 124.5x81mm, according to manual) - is that likely to play nicely with the i852/ICH4 chipset combination? Or would SBEMU be a better bet?

What kind of reputation does the Celeron M have? Pentium M was pretty well regarded, I think? The Intel Extreme Graphics 2 on the i852 is going to be pretty poor though?

Reply 51701 of 52878, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found these for a little over $1 total and couldn't leave without buying. Never know when they might be useful. I don't know if I'll ever have a use for the XT-style hard drive plate, but they look so cool.

Attachments

Reply 51702 of 52878, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
justin1985 wrote on 2024-02-05, 12:38:

What kind of reputation does the Celeron M have? Pentium M was pretty well regarded, I think? The Intel Extreme Graphics 2 on the i852 is going to be pretty poor though?

The Celeron M was a good chip and is only slightly modified from the Pentium M. Half the cache, slower FSB, and fewer power saving features that are only important for laptops. It's still a very low powered chip with excellent performance.

The Pentium M was a huge step up in performance per clock from the Pentium 4, so much that a few manufacturers even made compatible motherboards for enthusiasts.

Reply 51703 of 52878, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Celeron M 1.5 is gonna be around the same speed as a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz, Athlon XP 2500+, or AMD64 of same clock. Got one in a laptop, fairly pleasant to use on WinXP, DOSbox gets to slow pentium speeds on it.

edit: don't go planning for more than 1GB RAM, since you can only put one DDR SODIMM in it. 512 should be okay though, unless you want SP3 XP,

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 51704 of 52878, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ordered a motherboard complete with CPU, audio and video card (included in the lot), the MB is Siemens model D1217, I will look for useful information and anything else that is available, the card according to the seller seems to be working, there is a BIOS screen, but I can't say which CPU is present, I imagine a P3 Coppermine, if there was a Celeron, I think I'll replace it.
The PLCC32 sockets for BIOS chips arrived today, I ordered 10 of them, but 11 arrived, I really appreciated the free gift, one or maybe two, I will use them to build an MF extension, to be used for reprogramming the soldered BIOS chips, I should do some soldering, a total of 64 (32+32), once the work is finished I will show the result, the most important thing is that if it works, you don't need to desolder the chip for reprogramming.
A little old purchase, but useful for recovering the Keyboard and Mouse, a wireless mouse and keyboard kit, bought today at a low price.

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 51705 of 52878, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was very lucky on this one.
An old ad on the classifieds french site "leboncoin" dating from February 2023 and entitled "11 computer sticks" appeared in my search results when I was looking for any type of Diamond Multimadia hardware.
It appeared because the seller mentioned "a Diamond plate and a Matrox plate" that would come with the RAM sticks and an intriguing photo that you can see here (the ad has since been removed).

Capture.PNG
Filename
Capture.PNG
File size
29.46 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The price was 10€ + 4,40€ shipping so I just bought it.

Here is what it turned out to be :

cards.jpg
Filename
cards.jpg
File size
921.03 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
cards2.jpg
Filename
cards2.jpg
File size
81.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I know nothing about Matrox cards but it sure looks intriguing :

MATROX.jpg
Filename
MATROX.jpg
File size
112.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 51706 of 52878, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JustJulião wrote on 2024-02-06, 18:04:
I was very lucky on this one. An old ad on the classifieds french site "leboncoin" dating from February 2023 and entitled "11 co […]
Show full quote

An old ad on the classifieds french site "leboncoin" dating from February 2023 and entitled "11 computer sticks" appeared in my search results when I was looking for any type of Diamond Multimadia hardware.
It appeared because the seller mentioned "a Diamond plate and a Matrox plate" that would come with the RAM sticks and an intriguing photo that you can see here (the ad has since been removed).
Capture.PNG

cards.jpg
cards2.jpg

MATROX.jpg

The Matrox card looks interesting but getting a Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1 card for just a few euros is pretty good!! Hope it works still, it looks tidy. I'm on the lookout for one to go into a P200MMX build.

Reply 51707 of 52878, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-02-06, 18:29:
I was very lucky on this one. An old ad on the classifieds french site "leboncoin" dating from February 2023 and entitled "11 co […]
Show full quote

Capture.PNG

cards.jpg
cards2.jpg

MATROX.jpg

The Matrox card looks interesting but getting a Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 1 card for just a few euros is pretty good!! Hope it works still, it looks tidy. I'm on the lookout for one to go into a P200MMX build.

Yes I've been lucky, I also wonder if the Monster 3D overclocks better than the one I already have, which doesn't go higher than 54MHz on Q2 (I mention the game because it seems to be very game dependant, I don't get artifacts on most games).

Last edited by JustJulião on 2024-02-06, 19:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 51708 of 52878, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MATROX.jpg

Looks like a Matrox Millennium. Solid mid-90s card with good 2D performance and visual quality.

Not sure what the attached daughterboard is though.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 51709 of 52878, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That looks like the WRAM expansion. I have one of those, but I don't recall ever seeing large QFP chips on the back. And mine definitely does not have a bodge wire.

Here is what the memory expansion card normally looks like from the back:

unnamed.gif
Filename
unnamed.gif
File size
37.89 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by Kahenraz on 2024-02-06, 21:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 51710 of 52878, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MATROX.jpg

That matrox card has one of the rainbow runner add ons attached to it.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 51711 of 52878, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-02-06, 19:45:

And mine definitely does not have a brodge wire.

Good one 🤣 half way between a bridge and a bodge.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 51712 of 52878, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-06, 20:57:

I noticed that too just now. 😅

It seems to be an MPEG1 decoder. I only skimmed through this thread, but it seems that a special cable is required for it to work?

About that DB-26 port on Matrox Millennium/Mystique video adapters..

Reply 51713 of 52878, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-02-06, 21:26:
I noticed that too just now. 😅 […]
Show full quote

It seems to be an MPEG1 decoder. I only skimmed through this thread, but it seems that a special cable is required for it to work?

mpeg 1 encoder for video capture.

Reply 51714 of 52878, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an 80 GiB 2.5' Seagate Momentus for my ThinkPad G41, whose disk had failed fatally with bad blocks enough to not be able to start a Windows installation. Cost less than US$20, though 2.5" IDE is not something that lies around every corner these days ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 51715 of 52878, by megatog615

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
justin1985 wrote on 2024-02-05, 12:38:
Another random eBay SFF purchase arrived - a "Kiosk PC KP3 - B72" - which I found in a search looking around for badly described […]
Show full quote

Another random eBay SFF purchase arrived - a "Kiosk PC KP3 - B72" - which I found in a search looking around for badly described PCs. The tiny size really appealed to me - basically the same size as two normal 5.25" drives side by side!

IMG20240205114438.jpg

This model is the Celeron M 1.5Ghz, and it comes with a 512Mb SODIMM of DDR-266 RAM, a 40Gb 2.5" HDD, and a slim DVD-ROM (both on the secondary IDE channel, which has a 44-pin header).

IMG20240205114456.jpg

I've never seen a legacy PC like this quite so small! Clearly it was intended for public kiosks - the manual talks about optional wall mounting kits etc., but although there is some grime under the CPU fan, it is relatively clean inside, so can't have seen that much use. (In fact I think most of the dark visible dust came from the wool packaging the seller had used - it looked like the compostable wool insulation you get in some mail order meat / meal deliveries). It also seems interesting that it came with a not just the power brick but manual and driver CD - but the seller seemed to be private and mainly dealing in homewares, so I'm intrigued where it came from and what it had been doing for the last 20 years ... someone had clearly been looking after it. The HDD is unfortunately wiped and not even partitioned.

(I can't find the manual anywhere online at all, so I'll happily scan it to add to theRetroWeb if wanted?)

The Intel i852 chipset looks like it has official Win98 iGPU drivers, so it seems like a great candidate to replace my VIA EPIA as a super compact Win98 system ...

It looks like there might JUST be enough room to fit an ESS Solo-1 into the PCI riser for DOS sound (max size 124.5x81mm, according to manual) - is that likely to play nicely with the i852/ICH4 chipset combination? Or would SBEMU be a better bet?

Wow, are there any more for sale? Is the CPU removable?

Reply 51716 of 52878, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
I noticed that too just now. 😅 […]
Show full quote

Indeed, it’s the Media XL MPEG expansion - https://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_matrox_mi … mpeg_front.html - seems to have a breakout box that goes with it.

Reply 51717 of 52878, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks like the WRAM expansion. I have one of those, but I don't recall ever seeing large QFP chips on the back. And mine definitely does not have a bodge wire.

Here is what the memory expansion card normally looks like from the back:

unnamed.gif

Its not a ram expansion card, looks like one of their video capture daughter cards

Reply 51718 of 52878, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wirerogue wrote on 2024-02-06, 21:35:

It seems to be an MPEG1 decoder.

mpeg 1 encoder for video capture.

Decoder. The best encoding you could get at the time, probably including dedicated Avid/Premiere workstation hardware, was fast hardware jpeg encoders. Encoding was soo expensive and out of reach in mid nineties to 2000, and you wanted quick panning across the timeline so jpeg was perfect.
Things like FAST AV Master/AV Master 2000 were typical. https://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_video_gra … ster_front.html Full NLE on a card, bundled with Ulead. $750 when introduced at CeBIT'99, down to ~$550 in 2000.
Retrospective in Italian "Acquisire un VHS come negli anni '90 con Fast AV Master" - MVVblog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqD9iOrbPyI
Classic instructional VHS from Fast AV (in German, has nice shot of dual socked PPRO setup) explaining how to use their cards:
AV Master Fastmultimedia gmbh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j22tfa2jr4k

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction