Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 401 of 52813, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
Yup! Though I prefer to not use any of the "high end" AGP+PCI+ISA boards for just testing purposes, but AGP 4x boards work with […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

It would make a great board for vintage video card testing.

Yup! Though I prefer to not use any of the "high end" AGP+PCI+ISA boards for just testing purposes, but AGP 4x boards work with any AGP card ever made...in theory at least.
I'm using an ASUS A7V board with a Duron for testing graphics cards because of the universal AGP slot. 😉

The most recent AGP+PCI+ISA boards made for consumers were Tualatin and SDRAM Socket A boards. There are newer boards with ISA (seen LGA775 Conroe boards with an ISA slot! 😳 ) but those are scary because of their price, and the ISA slot might have compatibility issues as it's a bridged ISA slot.

But with the newer boards you can run faster processors and potentially remove any CPU bottlenecks and get a truer indicator of what the video card is capable of. A card that is CPU bound on a PII motherboard might not be on a P4 motherboard.

Reply 402 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Yup! Though I prefer to not use any of the "high end" AGP+PCI+ISA boards for just testing purposes, but AGP 4x boards work with […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

It would make a great board for vintage video card testing.

Yup! Though I prefer to not use any of the "high end" AGP+PCI+ISA boards for just testing purposes, but AGP 4x boards work with any AGP card ever made...in theory at least.
I'm using an ASUS A7V board with a Duron for testing graphics cards because of the universal AGP slot. 😉

The most recent AGP+PCI+ISA boards made for consumers were Tualatin and SDRAM Socket A boards. There are newer boards with ISA (seen LGA775 Conroe boards with an ISA slot! 😳 ) but those are scary because of their price, and the ISA slot might have compatibility issues as it's a bridged ISA slot.

But with the newer boards you can run faster processors and potentially remove any CPU bottlenecks and get a truer indicator of what the video card is capable of. A card that is CPU bound on a PII motherboard might not be on a P4 motherboard.

Ah, we had a misunderstanding here. With a test board, I usually mean a board that I use to test if a card isn't broken or anything! 😜

More of a hardware test instead of a benchmark test 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 403 of 52813, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everybody!

I'm pretty new to this retro computing thing. I've just bought a ThrustMaster FLCS + TQS + Elite rudders!

Very happy with it, I've just clean them and all!! 😁

The thing is, it came with no Manuals nor software. 🙁

Is there any chance for some charitable soul (yes Kreshna, that's you!) to scan the manuals and floppies for these amazing pieces of hardware???

Please....
😘

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 404 of 52813, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Obviously, I meant take the floppy images, not scan them! Duh!! What good would that do?? 😜

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 405 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rug wrote:
Hello everybody! […]
Show full quote

Hello everybody!

I'm pretty new to this retro computing thing. I've just bought a ThrustMaster FLCS + TQS + Elite rudders!

Very happy with it, I've just clean them and all!! 😁

The thing is, it came with no Manuals nor software. 🙁

Is there any chance for some charitable soul (yes Kreshna, that's you!) to scan the manuals and floppies for these amazing pieces of hardware???

Please....
😘

I'd suggest you start a new thread. I haven't seen Kreshna post in a while I think, so he may be busy.
In your new thread, you might as well introduce yourself, always fun to read 😉

And welcome aboard! 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 406 of 52813, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

386 mainboard M-321 http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/IL … -386-M-321.html
img_2143wfcv.jpg

2x riva tnt2 pro pci dvi:
img_2144ni4j.jpg

promise eidemaxx isa ide controller:
img_2145dina.jpg

promise eidemaxx II isa ide controller:
img_2146nc2v.jpg

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 407 of 52813, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you Tetrium.

I'll do that!

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 408 of 52813, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just picked up an NEC/ Yamaha clone DB60XG card. You can never have too much Midi. 😀 Doom and FF7 sound that much cooler with this.

KGrHqUOKpYE1q-M4HInBNg2JtGk_12.jpg

Some guy optimized the E1M1 map tune from Doom 1 for the XG, check this out
http://youtu.be/UODyfKhdyQg

Let's see...so I will be using IRQ 220 for the Sound Blaster, 620 for the AWE32, 250 for the Gravis Ultrasound, and 330 for the Yamaha daughter card (I think?) IRQ insanity.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 409 of 52813, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ uh yeah I'm pretty sure 'some guy' is RFNAngel, a member here 😜 😀

but yeah I have that same daughterboard and an SC55 and I personally think that daughterboard sounds better- in GM mode at least. The SC55 supports GS mode but I don't know of any games that support GS or XG.

Reply 410 of 52813, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

technically every apogee general midi game is supposed to sound better with yamaha cards/modules because it was created with that sound modules

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 411 of 52813, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@RFNAngel

I gratefully appreciate your musical aptitude in a most gratuitous and appreciative manner. (Joseph Ducreux for "it rocks.") 🤣

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 412 of 52813, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmrydholm wrote:
I just picked up an NEC/ Yamaha clone DB60XG card. You can never have too much Midi. :) Doom and FF7 sound that much cooler with […]
Show full quote

I just picked up an NEC/ Yamaha clone DB60XG card. You can never have too much Midi. 😀 Doom and FF7 sound that much cooler with this.

KGrHqUOKpYE1q-M4HInBNg2JtGk_12.jpg

Some guy optimized the E1M1 map tune from Doom 1 for the XG, check this out
http://youtu.be/UODyfKhdyQg

Let's see...so I will be using IRQ 220 for the Sound Blaster, 620 for the AWE32, 250 for the Gravis Ultrasound, and 330 for the Yamaha daughter card (I think?) IRQ insanity.

How do you install it? There's no edge connector. Does it connect to a Wavetable header?

Reply 413 of 52813, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, I have a CT-3900 AWE32 with the wavetable header. It should plug right into the connector on that daughterboard. I just hope I have enough room to sandwich it in between the Sound Blaster and Gravis Ultrasound. I should probably install another case fan and have it cool the ISA/PCI header. Lotsa cards.

Reply 414 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schlang wrote:
386 mainboard M-321 http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/IL … -386-M-321.html http://www.abload.de/thumb/img_2143wfcv.jpg […]
Show full quote

386 mainboard M-321 http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/IL … -386-M-321.html
img_2143wfcv.jpg

2x riva tnt2 pro pci dvi:
img_2144ni4j.jpg

promise eidemaxx isa ide controller:
img_2145dina.jpg

promise eidemaxx II isa ide controller:
img_2146nc2v.jpg

Nice haul! Especially the board and the TNT2 PCI! Never seen a full TNT2 PCI model before, only the M64 variants 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 415 of 52813, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

How do you install it? There's no edge connector. Does it connect to a Wavetable header?

let me [hotlink]post the backside of this great sounding module:

nec_xr385_yamaha_db60xg_clone_back-600x364.jpg

so, as you can see, there's the standard 26-pin female header.

Reply 416 of 52813, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got myself two of these to put in my Dos rig, SLI mode (need to get the darn connector, those things are rare) I don't feel like taking an hour cutting a floppy cable with a hobby knife!

BrZS6SBmkKGrHqMH-DEEu8jultZBLzfNVCfg_3.jpg
3dfx Black Magic Voodoo II

Last edited by jmrydholm on 2011-06-09, 14:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 417 of 52813, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@FGB
Thanks! I'm sorry guys, I forgot to post the back of the NEC/Yamaha wavetable board. I still need to wait 20 days for it to come from China

Reply 418 of 52813, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:
Got myself two of these to put in my Dos rig, SLI mode (need to get the darn connector, those things are rare) I don't feel like […]
Show full quote

Got myself two of these to put in my Dos rig, SLI mode (need to get the darn connector, those things are rare) I don't feel like taking an hour cutting a floppy cable with a hobby knife!

BrZS6SBmkKGrHqMH-DEEu8jultZBLzfNVCfg_3.jpg
3dfx Black Magic Voodoo II

The P166? Even if you up that to a 233, you're not going to max out a single V2, let alone two of them. Those things fly. My advice is just keep one as a spare and save yourself the trouble of making the SLI cable.

Those are my all time favorite video cards. You'll be very happy running Glide titles on them.

Reply 419 of 52813, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an AMD 2.1GhZ system with a socket A chip and 1.5 Gigs of Ram, Audigy 2 ZS, etc. Plenty of free slots and a spare drive...should I install Win98 as a second OS and used the Glide cards with my GeForce 5200? That system should handle it easy enough. Or should I use hacked 3dfx drivers for XP?