VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 661 of 52977, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just picked up a nice old Sony Trinitron 200ES and got an AST Bravo MS P/75, a P3 Deskpro [looks like the model may be k450/10, has agp + 4 pci + 2 isa], and a Keytronic cheap-model-m-lookalike [not clicky but rubber dome]. All relegated to the shed for now.

Now confirmed the monitor, keyboard and AST all work. Compaq is a Deskpro EP and someone has removed the graphics card.

Last edited by ratfink on 2011-10-17, 16:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 664 of 52977, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Er, not exactly retro hardware, but CH USB controllers work great to play DOS games through DOSBOX, especially since you can "ma […]
Show full quote

Er, not exactly retro hardware, but CH USB controllers work great to play DOS games through DOSBOX, especially since you can "mask" those devices as a four axis joystick or a pair of two axis joysticks.

I successfully map the joystick, throttle, and rudder axis into a pair of two axis joysticks to play Gunship 2000 in DOSBOX. The game was too old to support throttle and pedals, but it supports a pair of joysticks, so there I went.

Fiddling for a moment, I eventually changed the throttle axis to emulate keyboard keypresses '+' and '-' for throttle, because it is more precise that way. But still keep the rudder axis as the X axis of the second joystick for analog pedal movement.

CH Control Center rocks. And I start questioning myself: what the hell am I doing, sticking with Thrustmasters all these years? 😁

chfighterstickthrottlepedals-buy01-pic01.jpg

chfighterstickthrottlepedals-buy01-pic02.jpg

Oh my god, please don't tell me you paid that much for a floppy drive! 😳 😳

Reply 666 of 52977, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought 3 brand new Panasonic 3.5" floppy drives recently. 2 of them died within a couple of weeks of use. Yet I've got rusty old yellow ones that just keep soldiering on.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 668 of 52977, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No I don't think it is just you I'm pretty sure it happened to me to, Panasonic JU-257A606P does seem ultra common and yet it does not have to protect the pins from being bent which kinda annoys me.

Reply 669 of 52977, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Panasonics are definitely what I see the most of. Seems like it's the same model every time too and that it's been in production for ages. Next most common I see would be Sony followed by NEC.

Reply 671 of 52977, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought 3 SCSI CDROM readers, 2 of which can burn. One 24x NEC and 2 40x plextors, all 3 better then the single 8x reader I had previously 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 672 of 52977, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got this through eBay the other day... I think I'll keep it sealed in the box for now as it seems rare to find them still sealed up nowadays, and this will start my collection of sealed 486 upgrade processors (the only other one I have right now is the POD 83).

dsci0041h.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, I noticed that (as you all probably already know) there's a 133 MHz version out there somewhere. I read somewhere that those have AMD 5x86 chips in them, but some are advertised as cyrix 5x86 133 chips. Is it possible that they used both companies?
(I believe that this contains an IBM 100 5x86 overclocked to 120).

Reply 674 of 52977, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice it has 9pin output.

Talking about 9pins... Did anyone of you guys buy that EGA samsung monitor that ended yesterday on ebay? I forgot to bid on it... It sold at like 26$.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 677 of 52977, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

captureyg.jpg

I just bought that 386 cpu. I had another, which is identical to that, but it had a broken pin. It worked, though. However I bought that for just 3 Euros.

Reply 678 of 52977, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up a couple of goodies today:

First one is an Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro

CeqgP.jpg

Sound Blaster Pro clone, with a real Yamaha YMF262 chip. It also includes a SCSI CDROM controller.
Of most interest though is the Disney Sound Source/Covox Speech Thing compatibility.
This card works with Disney Sound Source in Wolf3d and also a couple of Sierra quest games I tried.
In DSS/CST mode it basically just sounds like a Sound Blaster but with a high pass filter (sounds a bit 'tinnier').

I couldn't get DSS/CST to work with Return to Zork though

sound quality is very good, cleaner output than an SB16 Vibra.
It would be great if it had a wavetable daughterboard connector but I guess you can't win them all.

The card works fine with just the BLASTER environment variable set, but here is a link to the driver package which includes a few utils like a mixer, IRQ/DMA config and some TSR's which I'm not sure what their purpose is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9151127/SGNXPRO.zip

I also picked up a ReelMagic CD:

ikEIU.jpg

It's an MPEG decoder card. Unfortunately I have no drivers for it and no games that support it so its pretty much just a paperweight at the moment....

I'm really keen to track down the version of Return to Zork that was re-written specifically for this card with MPEG videos.... seems rare as rocking horse poop.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 679 of 52977, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today i received only 2x SCSI 50pin internal cable where you can connect 2 devices on it.. *so then in can put an scsi harddisk in my XT computer..

~ At least it can do black and white~