VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1160 of 52977, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a HP C3758 keyboard today. Not sure if it's retro as it looks brand new, but has the old style Hewlett-Packard and Windows logos. This is the clickiest rubber-dome keyboard I've ever seen and typing on this thing is a hundred times better than on the Logitech G15 I normally use.

Oh and I bought a Yamaha CA-810 yesterday. Now that's not computer hardware but it's definitely retro 😀

Reply 1161 of 52977, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Scored a NIB Chenming server case with windowed panel. It's aluminum and painted silver. 😁

I've been looking for one of these Chieftec/Antec style cases for a long time.

Pics to follow at some point.

Reply 1162 of 52977, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

Ooh, a Raspberry Pi in action!

Any chance you could program it to do some kind of parallel protocol like laplink or interlink?

That's the plan, but I need to build a slightly more complicated interface circuit to support that.

Apparently it's doable though!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1163 of 52977, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

got 2 new things from ebay. I REALLY need to stay off that site... Anyway, I paid a bit more than I would have liked to for the first auction, but when I went to pay, ebay "suggested" another auction I might be interested in. Lo and behold, they were right.

#1: Lot of 10 scsi hard drives http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=110899383994
#2: Ati Rage Fury MAXX http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=160830341520

So now I need to build a computer around a rage fury maxx now. >.<

Last edited by luckybob on 2012-06-24, 17:16. Edited 1 time in total.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1164 of 52977, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
got 2 new things from ebay. I REALLY need to stay off that site... Anyway, I paid a bit more than I would have liked to for th […]
Show full quote

got 2 new things from ebay. I REALLY need to stay off that site... Anyway, I paid a bit more than I would have liked to for the first auction, but when I went to pay, ebay "suggested" another auction I might be interested in. Lo and behold, they were right.

#1: Lot of 10 scsi hard drives http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=110899383994
#2: Ati Rage Fury MAXX http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … tem=16083034152

Did you get the link to the Rage Fury MAXX right? I'm getting an error message from ebay when I click the link. I think maybe you missed off a number or two at the end.

Reply 1166 of 52977, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Took some pics of the rig after transferring it over to the new Chenming case. 😁

My Ongoing Retro Rig Project - Xeon Prime

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 1167 of 52977, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
got 2 new things from ebay. I REALLY need to stay off that site... Anyway, I paid a bit more than I would have liked to for th […]
Show full quote

#2: Ati Rage Fury MAXX http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=160830341520

UPDATE!!!

both boxes arrived today. the maxx looks BRAND FREAKING NEW. But the real haul was the hard drives. (provided they work)

2x 50mb quantum prodrive lps
3x IBM 1.2gb
1x 840mb quantum apple branded
1x 1gb conner apple branded
1x 540mb quantum apple branded
1x 1.6gb seagate st32430n
1x compaq branded scsi-3 4.3gb 7200 rpm drive

I know for a fact, i'm going to sell the 50mb drives. I have no use for something that small. That coupled with the fact that they have SOLD ( not selling for) $100 on ebay. ebay item: 190685653387

So, my plans to clean my workstation tonight got completely de-railed. I'm going to fire up each and every drive, test them and go from there. And also the rage fury maxx. Not a bad haul for $60 total!

Reply 1168 of 52977, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should definitely test those Prodrives thoroughly before you sell them... and don't get your hopes up. The reason they sell for high prices is that it's quite rare to find one that still works.

Reply 1169 of 52977, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

You should definitely test those Prodrives thoroughly before you sell them... and don't get your hopes up. The reason they sell for high prices is that it's quite rare to find one that still works.

well, it looks like both are good! I have them hooked up to my p3 with onboard scsi and they both post and give no errors during the media test thats in the scsi bios. no clicking, no grinding. they arent quiet, in fact they sound like old scsi hard drives. Do you have any basis for comparison? this 1gb conner drive is practically silent. they arent as loud as my 10k drive so I think they are fine. right?

Reply 1170 of 52977, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday, it was my lucky day. I was given for free a lot of retro hardware.
CPUs
-AMD 486DX-40, TI 486DX2-80
- 6 Pentium 100-166MHz
-2xAMD Athlons
- 3 333MHz Celerons
- 2 Pentium II and 1 Pentium III Slot 1

A Diamond 3D2000 PCI card

4 440BX based boards
1 DFI Socket 7 Board
2 486 boards

2 64MB RDRAM Modules + 2 continuity modules
8 30pin simms
11 72pin simms

I have to test all of them now to see if there's something not working. The PCI 486 has a broken simm slot, and the VL-BUS one has a broken battery holder.

dsc00575ie.jpg
dsc00576au.jpg
dsc00577e.jpg
dsc00574hp.jpg

Reply 1171 of 52977, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nice haul!!! The socket 7 board in pic #3 is an AWESOME board. Stable as the day is long. I have one that I'm probably going to turn into a server.

Reply 1172 of 52977, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you now know if it supports MMX cpus? Because in TH'99 it says so, but a manual I found mentions nothing beyond simple 75-200 Pentiums. One thing I don't like on it is the Dallas RTC, but if it's not working I'll try once again to hack it and place a 2032battery holder on top of it. 😀

Reply 1174 of 52977, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For free i got this one from Russia (now i have to look for something in return). Looks like brand new and unused.

savageixf.jpg

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 1175 of 52977, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got a 3DFX Voodoo 1, 4MB RAM. This is definitely going to be the "Carmageddon" card.

Voodoo1.jpg

Edit: Anyone know what type/manufacturer this card is? I had heard the Orchid Righteous version has those mechanical switches that you can hear "click" when the card kicks in, but I haven't installed it yet. I don't see any name brand on the front or back, other than "3dfx" on the GPU's and "Voodoo" at the top of the card.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 1176 of 52977, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vlask wrote:
For free i got this one from Russia (now i have to look for something in return). Looks like brand new and unused. […]
Show full quote

For free i got this one from Russia (now i have to look for something in return). Looks like brand new and unused.

savageixf.jpg

I have one of these, mine looks new too. CAUSE NO ONE IS GOING TO RUN IT MORE TEN MINUTES BEFORE THEY YANK IT OUT! 🤣

Reply 1177 of 52977, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:

Edit: Anyone know what type/manufacturer this card is? I had heard the Orchid Righteous version has those mechanical switches that you can hear "click" when the card kicks in, but I haven't installed it yet. I don't see any name brand on the front or back, other than "3dfx" on the GPU's and "Voodoo" at the top of the card.

Obviously, it was crafted by voodoo. You should check with your local shaman.

Reply 1178 of 52977, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the second MPU-401 interface I've won on eBay recently; 20 bucks for this one. No-one else bid, are you guys letting me win? Very kind of you.

It's a Roland MPU-IPC-T. I didn't notice until installing it that the screw hole in the metal back plate has been broken off - can't imagine how that happened?? Anyway it still works fine, and I guess I could replace the plate if it really bothered me.

Tested a few finicky games for intelligent mode and all good. Pitty about the breakout box - is there an adapter that lets you go directly from the card to 1 MIDI out port? I don't need all those other connectors (tape in, etc)

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1179 of 52977, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The breakout box has some electronics in it.

You might be able to condense them into a plug adaptor, but why bother? The breakout box keeps it authentic! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread