User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

oh I want!!!

anyway, this just came in the mail today 😁
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120934346641
$%28KGrHqR,!igE-6,b!-5NBPzl0NGWtg~~60_12.JPG

Yes, so now I have another, but assumed WORKING CR-563B CD-ROM drive, a CT2230C SB16, crappy speakers, crappy mic, and all these other games/apps

the drivers disks are the same as the SB16 Value Edition... but this is the revision 1 instead of the revision 2 I have on my super ISO... I will post these up on vogon drivers in a bit... already imaged them! CD-ROM drivers disk and Text-to-Speech disks are the same as what we all already have.

I didn't think you could even get these new again, but I did 🤣
this was the cheapest kit available from creative at the time.... it was like a $300 kit, whereas the Edutainment CD 16, Game Blaster CD 16, Multimedia Office CD16, Digital Schoolhouse, and others costed much more.... would be nice to get my hands on what's in the other kits too, but dream on...

after I'm done going through this kit and making ISOs of the CDs, I'm going put it in storage 🤣

Last edited by TheMAN on 2012-07-24, 01:14. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1261 of 52976, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMAN wrote:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Creative-Sound-Blaster-isa-card-cd-etc-upgrade-kit-NOS-shrink-sold-400-/00/s/MTA2MlgxNjAw/$(KGrHqR,!igE-6 […]
Show full quote

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit son!

That takes me way back.

My dad got us the Edutainment CD 16 pack when it was new. Those speakers are actually pretty good, compared to others their size.

The included software lasted me for months, possible even a year or two... Lemmings, Indy 500, Rebel Assault, that stupid Grolier encyclopaedia, tonnes of fun!

The CD-ROM drive was a bit of a dud though, when CD-Rs came along, the drive wouldn't read many of them. We had it replaced about 3 times as well because of random faults...

I still have the SB16 from that pack, a CT2740. No discrete Yamaha OPL chip, but it contains the Creative clone so it still sounds pretty good.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1263 of 52976, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMAN wrote:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Creative-Sound-Blaster-isa-card-cd-etc-upgrade-kit-NOS-shrink-sold-400-/00/s/MTA2MlgxNjAw/$(KGrHqR,!igE-6 […]
Show full quote

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit son!

That takes me way back.

My dad got us the Edutainment CD 16 pack when it was new. Those speakers are actually pretty good, compared to others their size.

The included software lasted me for months, possible even a year or two... Lemmings, Indy 500, Rebel Assault, that stupid Grolier encyclopaedia, tonnes of fun!

The CD-ROM drive was a bit of a dud though, when CD-Rs came along, the drive wouldn't read many of them. We had it replaced about 3 times as well because of random faults...

I still have the SB16 from that pack, a CT2740. No discrete Yamaha OPL chip, but it contains the Creative clone so it still sounds pretty good.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1264 of 52976, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received this guy the other day...

ct1300_1_s.jpg

ct1300_2_s.jpg

This is, of course, not just an ordinary Creative Music System - it's one of the original, 1987, non-US releases (originally purchased in Malaysia, according to the seller), with a number of software and documentation references to the Cubic CT Audio I/O card (from which the CMS/Game Blaster was derived) to boot. You'll notice that the card itself is the "CT-1300," and not the more commonly-known "CT-1300A" or "CT-1300B."

Whenever I can get around to scanning the manuals, I'll make sure they're added to my Game Blaster post on the QuestStudios forum, along with the disk images. In the meantime, I'd be remiss if I didn't at least share a portion of the gem that is W.H. Sim's introduction text...

W.H. Sim - Creative Music System wrote:
I never realised that to be born is such a powerful music tool until I actually sat down and keyed in the first musical piece. […]
Show full quote

I never realised that to be born is such a powerful music tool until I actually sat down and keyed in the first musical piece. A music tool that is going to change the way of creating music, a music tool that is going to make music creation possible for anyone who enjoys music.
I had been fiddling with music synthesizers for the past 6 years, never could I finished entering a single music piece. Agreed, I was no expert in music, I just love music, especially creating my own music. The frustrations I had when struggling with conventional music synthesizers simply killed the mood to create any music.
Then I realised that I am at the watershed of a new era. A new era for music. A new era that is going to change our relation with music.
On realising the fact, we work even harder, many new features are added at the last minutes. My mind started to boggle, I imagined all kinds of things that are going to happen. Thousands and thousands of songs and musical pieces are going to be created everyday.

🙄

Reply 1265 of 52976, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit son! […]
Show full quote
TheMAN wrote:
Show full quote

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit son!

That takes me way back.

lucky me... the CT2230 (and variants like the C, which "C" stands for Creative CD only) has the Yamaha OPL3 chip

the CR-563B drive will come in handy if I ever can get my hands on a 3DO Blaster, which is a pipe dream

Reply 1266 of 52976, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:
Received this guy the other day... […]
Show full quote

ct1300_1_s.jpg

ct1300_2_s.jpg

This is, of course, not just an ordinary Creative Music System - it's one of the original, 1987, non-US releases (originally purchased in Malaysia, according to the seller), with a number of software and documentation references to the Cubic CT Audio I/O card (from which the CMS/Game Blaster was derived) to boot. You'll notice that the card itself is the "CT-1300," and not the more commonly-known "CT-1300A" or "CT-1300B."

Whenever I can get around to scanning the manuals, I'll make sure they're added to my Game Blaster post on the QuestStudios forum, along with the disk images. In the meantime, I'd be remiss if I didn't at least share a portion of the gem that is W.H. Sim's introduction text...

I never realised that to be born is such a powerful music tool until I actually sat down and keyed in the first musical piece. […]
Show full quote

I never realised that to be born is such a powerful music tool until I actually sat down and keyed in the first musical piece. A music tool that is going to change the way of creating music, a music tool that is going to make music creation possible for anyone who enjoys music.
I had been fiddling with music synthesizers for the past 6 years, never could I finished entering a single music piece. Agreed, I was no expert in music, I just love music, especially creating my own music. The frustrations I had when struggling with conventional music synthesizers simply killed the mood to create any music.
Then I realised that I am at the watershed of a new era. A new era for music. A new era that is going to change our relation with music.
On realising the fact, we work even harder, many new features are added at the last minutes. My mind started to boggle, I imagined all kinds of things that are going to happen. Thousands and thousands of songs and musical pieces are going to be created everyday.

🙄

make them floppy images of those drivers son!
it's better safe than sorry... we won't ever know when these ancient floppies would fail!

I actually wish I got that card instead of the multimedia kit :p
but good find!

Reply 1267 of 52976, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I picked up an Atari Mega ST 4 with an Adspeed ST installed. 😁

It's interesting how they designed it. They put a 16mhz 68000 on a small circuit board with some cache RAM chips under the 68000 and it plugs into the 68000 socket on the motherboard. It operates like any other CPU with a cache and the speed is wickedly fast if it finds the values it needs in the cache. It slows down to normal ST speed, though, if it has to look outside the cache so the speed increase isn't uniform in all cases. It's not as fast as a Mega STe, which is designed for 16mhz operation at all times, but it's a good increase a lot of the time.

KGrHqVHJEgEeDHVpjBPUdIYCLw60_12.jpg

Reply 1268 of 52976, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

Yeah, the TNT2 Ultra version was REALLY difficult to find - mostly just the non-Ultra versions on eBay these days.

I have one still unopened...

tnt2%2520ultra.JPG

Reply 1269 of 52976, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I miss the giant boxes games and peripherals used to come in during the 80's-90's. I still have my Doom Master Levels, Earthworm Jim, and Dos 3.1 boxes. Eyeballing an Orchid Righteous for sale right now, but I have a Voodoo 1 (unknown manufacturer) with 4MB RAM, plus a few other Voodoo 2's and an AGP V5. I probably don't need to buy it. Probably... *smile*

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 1270 of 52976, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:
Received this guy the other day... […]
Show full quote

ct1300_1_s.jpg

ct1300_2_s.jpg

Show full quote

🙄

I have a CT-1300A on the way. What's the difference ?

Reply 1271 of 52976, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

[I have a CT-1300A on the way. What's the difference ?

As far as I can tell, just minor board layout and component changes, the most notable of which being the addition of line filters on the CT-1300A/B.

Reply 1272 of 52976, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That CMS is pretty sweet, as is the boxed Creative multimedia box 😀

Just ordered one of those popular NEC XR385 daughterboards for my 486. Since I have two CT2940s, one of which is CQM, I'm going to use the OPL3 one as my main card, and the CQM one to run this XR385. That should prevent any hanging note issues, I believe.

Also bought this AWE64 for my Pentium 200MMX; it's a CT4380. I believe that makes it a 1MB AWE64 standard.

Gut9fs.jpg

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 1273 of 52976, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

someone actually won a brand new AWE64 on ebay recently... not sure who it was... not worth the money in my book! I'll gladly pay that much for an AWE64 Gold though
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View … em=330761906905

Reply 1274 of 52976, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMAN wrote:

someone actually won a brand new AWE64 on ebay recently... not sure who it was... not worth the money in my book! I'll gladly pay that much for an AWE64 Gold though
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View … em=330761906905

Ouch! I'll bet he was praying for a sniper as the last few seconds were ticking away. That's why you should never make a ridiculous bid for anything, it can be bumped up to the point of overpaying too easily.

Reply 1275 of 52976, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sadly, it was already bid on 3 days before the auction ended (bringing attention to everyone)... I was hoping I could snipe it for next to nothing... once it went past the $20 mark, I decided it wasn't worth it for a low end AWE64, boxed or not! For that money, I rather get the old skool 8-bit sound blasters, which seems to be commanding a high price these days... one crazy douchebag is selling SB 2.0s for over $86, and he has a bunch of them!

so anyone got a CT1350 or CT1610 to spare? 😉

Reply 1276 of 52976, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMAN wrote:

sadly, it was already bid on 3 days before the auction ended (bringing attention to everyone)... I was hoping I could snipe it for next to nothing... once it went past the $20 mark, I decided it wasn't worth it for a low end AWE64, boxed or not! For that money, I rather get the old skool 8-bit sound blasters, which seems to be commanding a high price these days... one crazy douchebag is selling SB 2.0s for over $86, and he has a bunch of them!

so anyone got a CT1350 or CT1610 to spare? 😉

Neat, that makes that $8 boxed AWE64 value look not so bad 🤣. It still unopened with cellophane.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1277 of 52976, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont fully understand the fascination with boxed hardware and NOT opening it. When i get sealed games, I just L-O-V-E to open it and enjoy it! The people that build box-forts out of sealed boxes just seems strange. 🙁

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1278 of 52976, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I dont fully understand the fascination with boxed hardware and NOT opening it. When i get sealed games, I just L-O-V-E to open it and enjoy it! The people that build box-forts out of sealed boxes just seems strange. 🙁

Indeed, it gets me when people do this with 3dfx cards. 😳
It is hard enough to not be drooling when people buy v5s ect but new makes me kinda mad.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1279 of 52976, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

The point is that it is new and will always be new for as long as it is unopened. All the things that came packed in with it that normally would get thrown away are also with it. You can always find a used one of whatever it is for a lot less money for actual use.