VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1320 of 52970, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
memsys wrote:

HEH i have the card but no mobo to put it in!

You can use standart PCI, but sound part wont work ofc 😖

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 1322 of 52970, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Brand new Compro CD-RW scsi, perfect for my PAS16 scsi.
and also a TB cd-rom drive, I actually bought 2 of these for 2,50 each, one is still in the shrink wrap. The "100% faster than a 4X" is simply genius, they had sense of humor.

p1010047a.jpg

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 1324 of 52970, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:
Brand new Compro CD-RW scsi, perfect for my PAS16 scsi. and also a TB cd-rom drive, I actually bought 2 of these for 2,50 each, […]
Show full quote

Brand new Compro CD-RW scsi, perfect for my PAS16 scsi.
and also a TB cd-rom drive, I actually bought 2 of these for 2,50 each, one is still in the shrink wrap. The "100% faster than a 4X" is simply genius, they had sense of humor.

p1010047a.jpg

it's really a pansonic drive, but nice find! But that drive is not a CD-RW, it's CD-R only
my friend got the 4x IDE "compro" drive back in the days... it was expensive (bought from EB) and buffer under runned crazy if you tried to multi task... oh how spoiled we are now with burn proof!

As for me, I bought the OEM SCSI version of that drive (CW-7502B), and ran it with an AHA-2940U, a combo I still have in my retrobox... it faired better against buffer under runs... I used that poor thing so much, that I burned out the laser throughout its warranty period... I RMA'd that thing 3 times, and Panasonic always had me ship the thing to Compro who was the sole agent that dealt with these drives... with these early burners, I learned NOT to use them for reading discs, NOT to use them on simulation mode, and always let them cool off for many minutes after burning a disc... that's right, I fubared mine after going on a marathon burning session of a dozen CD-Rs in one sitting! Afterwards, it would keep burning bad sectors towards the end of each disc! 😠

Back in those days, burners were so expensive, this was the cheapest "quality" one I could afford... Plextors were way better and Yamahas were the next best thing... I later on inherited an Yamaha 6x and 8x burner, but they had buggy firmware in that they wrote discs that could only be read with those burners!

Last edited by TheMAN on 2012-08-06, 01:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1330 of 52970, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are two actually, one looks like a card with a VGA passthrough connector, and then theres another with strange # of audio jacks, only two instead of the standard 3, or 4 .

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 1331 of 52970, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:

There are two actually, one looks like a card with a VGA passthrough connector, and then theres another with strange # of audio jacks, only two instead of the standard 3, or 4 .

Probably a Voodoo1 or 2 and a radio card. Funny that he/she sold that. I have tried for i long time to buy those parts and never got an answer...

Reply 1332 of 52970, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vmunix wrote:

You are right, I was also curious about that card too and I bought it also, sprcorreia is right , its a FM Radio ISA card from 1990, has on Line Out and one to connect an antena...

sprcorreia wrote:
vmunix wrote:

Probably a Voodoo1 or 2 and a radio card. Funny that he/she sold that. I have tried for i long time to buy those parts and never got an answer...

It's a Voodoo1 ! Searching the site right now about what to do with it.

Funny, only saw this add yesterday after reading online about Voodoo cards (never had one back in the day) and wasn't sure it was one in the picture, but I gave it a try because it was so cheap.
The seller was friendly but simply was not very interested in old hardware.

Reply 1333 of 52970, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought a Powerstorm 4D51T (rebadged Intergraph Intense3D 2200S) for my AlphaPC:
4d51tcr1.jpg
Works well with NT, Quake II works. Although timedemo shows only 12.7 FPS the gameplay is much smoother then on the Permiedia 2 (11.6 FPS) - I'm not sure why.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 1335 of 52970, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GL1zdA wrote:

Just bought a Powerstorm 4D51T (rebadged Intergraph Intense3D 2200S) for my AlphaPC:

Works well with NT, Quake II works. Although timedemo shows only 12.7 FPS the gameplay is much smoother then on the Permiedia 2 (11.6 FPS) - I'm not sure why.

Perhaps it's the bit depth or the OpenGL libraries, what alpha do you have? if it is EV6 you should achieve those FR even without accelerator.

Also you can try Windows 2000 (beta) which has some better support for DirectX, I'm not sure though if that can improve OpenGL.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 1336 of 52970, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
CT3900 AWE32 for my 486 build with 8 MB ram […]
Show full quote

CT3900 AWE32 for my 486 build with 8 MB ram

ct3900-1.jpg

is that your pic or someone else's?
seeing which particular mixer and CSP chip the card in that pic uses, I'm willing to bet it has the buggy 4.12 DSP

Reply 1337 of 52970, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:

Works well with NT, Quake II works. Although timedemo shows only 12.7 FPS the gameplay is much smoother then on the Permedia 2 (11.6 FPS) - I'm not sure why.

Perhaps it's the bit depth or the OpenGL libraries, what alpha do you have? if it is EV6 you should achieve those FR even without accelerator.

Also you can try Windows 2000 (beta) which has some better support for DirectX, I'm not sure though if that can improve OpenGL.

It's a 533 EV56 on a 164LX motherboard. I can't change the bitdepth (I have only one option: True Color in display properties, and Quake shows in the console, that it uses the bitdepth of the desktop - 32-bit, I'm pretty sure I could change it on the Permedia and I set it to 16-bit). There are no Windows 2000 Alpha drivers for the Powerstorm (I don't think they were integrated into the CD, though I'll probably check it later). The Quake II Alpha binaries weren't optimized and I've read that VC6 wasn't very good at optimizing Alpha code.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 1338 of 52970, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
memsys wrote:

HEH i have the card but no mobo to put it in!

This guy seems to be selling one, but it looks pricey. Maybe send him a lowball offer, see how he responds 😉

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=110931543821

Reply 1339 of 52970, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMAN wrote:
Robin4 wrote:
CT3900 AWE32 for my 486 build with 8 MB ram […]
Show full quote

CT3900 AWE32 for my 486 build with 8 MB ram

ct3900-1.jpg

is that your pic or someone else's?
seeing which particular mixer and CSP chip the card in that pic uses, I'm willing to bet it has the buggy 4.12 DSP

Someone elses.. I was lazy to put the orginal picture on the forum..

Where do i find those chips?

Oh i see, i checked it and its 4.13 DSP. I hope this means any good?
With mixer CT1745A-TBP

Last edited by Robin4 on 2012-08-07, 23:22. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~