VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1561 of 52817, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so today I met with a guy through Craigslist and bought an ATI Rage Fury MAXX for $40. It's in great condition and even has the original driver CD. These things seem rare enough that I figured finding one locally was too good of an opportunity to pass up, so I went for it. I don't have a system to put it in yet; I'm going to keep a casual eye out for a cheap AGP Pentium 3 or Athlon system, hopefully locally. When I do though, it should be fun to benchmark 😁

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 1562 of 52817, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CapnCrunch53 wrote:

Ok, so today I met with a guy through Craigslist and bought an ATI Rage Fury MAXX for $40. It's in great condition and even has the original driver CD. These things seem rare enough that I figured finding one locally was too good of an opportunity to pass up, so I went for it. I don't have a system to put it in yet; I'm going to keep a casual eye out for a cheap AGP Pentium 3 or Athlon system, hopefully locally. When I do though, it should be fun to benchmark 😁

Its a pretty nice card over all if you pair it with a decent cpu. Not as good as a Voodoo 5, sure, but in general it can handle a lot of Windows 98 gaming fairly well.

Reply 1563 of 52817, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received this Voodoo5 5500 today for my Voodoo Rocket build.

17102012158.jpg

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 1564 of 52817, by rreinsp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought on Saturday:

SoundBlaster AWE 64 Gold
SoundBlaster AWE 64 Value
Hercules Dynamite 128
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI
ASUS P2B-LS
ASUS P2L97-S
a few SB 16 Pro PnP Boards
Celeron 333 Slot 1
PII-333
PII-350 in PIII Housing
PII-400 in PIII Housing
AMD K7 Classic 600, 800
ASUS P/I 55T2P4 Socket 7 Mobo
Hercules 3D Prophet 9000
AMD K6/266
Pentium MMX - 200
PIII-600 EB
Matrox Millennium II - PCI with Rainbowrunner Daughterboard
miro HiScore 3D - Voodoo Graphics 6MB
ASUS P3B-F

Greetings from Austria 😀

Reply 1565 of 52817, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CapnCrunch53 wrote:

I paid less than $5 for mine. I got lucky on eBay though. Nice card, it's the main card in my PIII-800 rig.

Reply 1567 of 52817, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

Roland PR-100 $15 (to me it was a mystery buy)

What is the difference between the PR-100 and the MT-100?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1568 of 52817, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's been awhile and I've picked up some real GEMS!

Roland SCB-7
dscf6650b.jpg

Creative CT1750 w/DSP 4.05! (Sound Blaster 16 MCD)
dscf6651g.jpg
dscf6653s.jpg

Creative CT3900 (Sound Blaster AWE32)
dscf6656c.jpg
dscf6657.jpg

Creative CT1330A Rev. 3 (Sound Blaster 1.0)
dscf6660x.jpg
dscf6662v.jpg

Roland RAP-10 *Boxed & Unopened!*
dscf6637a.jpg
dscf6638c.jpg

Reply 1569 of 52817, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is the difference between the PR-100 and the MT-100?

The PR-100 is just a sequencer. The MT-100 is a PR-100 combined with an MT-32.

Reply 1572 of 52817, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So not really PC related, but still classifiable as 'retro hardware', I finally managed to snag an OK deal on a Dreamcast off eBay. I've been bidding on 'em off and on for a few weeks, but they seem to typically go for stupid amounts of money... I guess the things have come back into fashion lately.

This one didn't seem to get any interest, though, and I have a suspicion as to why.

1ghq9c.jpg

Notice something a bit odd?

I can't even begin to speculate why a random surplus dealer in Vermont was selling a European model Dreamcast, but in any case, methinks the average American eBayers overlooked it because they don't know how to deal with 240V and PAL. 🤣

It also comes with Soul Calibur, which is pretty sweet. Way better than the half dozen sports games that usually come bundled with the things. 😜

Reply 1573 of 52817, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to have a Dreamcast and I miss it. That thing had some good games. Sonic Adventure comes to mind. Soul Caliber is another great game. That system was very much ahead of it's time. The programmable memory cards still amuse me. Very nice acquisition.

Reply 1574 of 52817, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have bought this:

ou44yu.jpg

2hqx7qe.jpg

5afekk.jpg

m9ssu8.jpg

supposedly you connect it to the serial + AT keyboard ports and it gives you PS2 keyboard and mouse capabilities... The keyboard is irrelevant because it's very simple to use a ps2 keyboard, but the mouse part is very interesting... ebay seller had 2 of them , I got the last one. The BIN was listed under the name "NEW Raritan Converter for Serial Mouse Model APSSM, Serial Port to PS/2 >D2"

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1575 of 52817, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recieved this in the mail yesterday. Got it basically for free (just shipping) because it was untested.

After several hours of cleaning, it looks just like new and seems to be working pretty well.
WBi2S.jpg

::42::

Reply 1576 of 52817, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mystery , check under the trapdoor at the bottom , there must be a 512kb memory expansion. remove it and see if it has those dreaded barrel-shaped batteries, if it has one then just remove it with a pair of pliers or something, they leak and spill acid on the board. If it already leaked then clean the area immediately...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1577 of 52817, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No memory expansion in there, it's a bare bones system.

But thanks for the heads up, I was going to fit a memory expansion in there.

So the battery isn't really necessary for using the expansion?

::42::

Reply 1578 of 52817, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nope, it's only used for the internal clock... you can remove it and use a coin cell battery instead (you also need a diode) but not having it at all does not break anything... it;s not like you will store your documents and need dates 😀

Reply 1579 of 52817, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I have bought this:

Bastard! I bought the first one and the only reason I did'nt buy the 2nd was I could'nt be sure that it would exactly as I hope it too, ie modern ps2 mouse opitical mouse for 386 system, I could'nt find any documention online for it and I could'nt be bothered asking the seller to take a better bloody photo of the back of the packet to read what it says, hope it works, I was hoping the last one would fly under the radar and I would purchase it after testing the first one, I kind of needed both.....