Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1840 of 52822, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote:
Noticed the 5.25 drive in the background - but what are those other things there, that you didn't pick up ? (or another of thos […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote:

Picked up three new PC's, two of them being AT cases.Total price: 90 dollars (also including a 1TB Western Digital drive, 5 1/4 drive, 3 AT keyboards, proper bootable SATA PCI card)

Noticed the 5.25 drive in the background - but what are those other things there, that you didn't pick up ?
(or another of those Finn ads, where some things are already sold?)

- And now, for the real question 😁

"proper bootable"(in DOS ?!) SATA PCI card; make/model, exact chipset name, and production date (mmyy) of the card = ?
Please elaborate...
(or is it just the one that sat in PC nr3, which would make it nigh impossible to find new today)

The other "things" in the background are my Compaq and my 486.

You're right that the S-ATA card sat in PC nr3. It is a Silicon Image 3512. It's installed in my Compaq atm, and I'm not going to drag it out just to check mmyy date for you (but I would guess 2004-2005) 😜

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1842 of 52822, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Little bit rusty Quadram Quad Color 1 and not working - broken image on monitor....

hd6845pf.jpg

rustyquadcolor.jpg

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 1846 of 52822, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two things on its way to me:

- Roland CM500 for a steal price of 70 dollars 😁
- Boxed SEGA Arcade Action Gun for PC incl. Virtua Cop 2 and House of the Dead - 10 dollars:
$T2eC16N,!%29EE9s2ufg+sBRCtdvG1pg~~60_12.JPG

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1850 of 52822, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stull wrote:

As mentioned in some other threads about those cards, you'll probably want to set JP1 to Line Out to avoid clipping.

Thanx a lot for the info Stall !

Reply 1851 of 52822, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up this Dell 486 in a thrift store on Long Island last week. Its BIOS battery was dead so it didn't boot (the battery was one of those black plastic blocks with a wire to the motherboard, a 4.5v Rayovac). Replaced it with a battery clip from Radio Shack, reconfigured the HDD in the BIOS, and it booted right up into WfW 3.11. It's a 66Mhz with 8MB RAM and a 230MB Maxtor HDD. It has an external L2 cache card with 128KB and an Analog Devices Audio 1816 sound card, which is SB compatible. Integrated local bus S3 video card. Plays Doom and other low-res DOS titles great. I just sold it on eBay so it will have a new home soon.

dell1.jpg

dell2.jpg

dell3.jpg

dell4.jpg

dell5.jpg

dell6.jpg

Reply 1852 of 52822, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lets play a game vogons! Look at this auction and see if you can spot the reason I bought it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181052378933

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1856 of 52822, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

the diamond edge maybe?

Pff, c'mon, are you even trying? He obviously bought it for the CDROM audio cables. 🤣

^.^ I honestly wasn't even looking for one, but I saw what's his face on LGR talk about one he was donated. I've always held the belief that cables and accessories are more valuable than the main event itself. So not only do I have the first 3d card made. IT HAS THE CABLES.

I am SO going to build a 1995 box and make it run virtua fighter.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1857 of 52822, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always held the belief that cables and accessories are more valuable than the main event itself.

Very true. I've got a few pieces of hardware around here that I can't use because they're missing some weird-ass cable or breakout box or something.

Reply 1858 of 52822, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

the diamond edge maybe?

Pff, c'mon, are you even trying? He obviously bought it for the CDROM audio cables. 🤣

^.^ I honestly wasn't even looking for one, but I saw what's his face on LGR talk about one he was donated. I've always held the belief that cables and accessories are more valuable than the main event itself. So not only do I have the first 3d card made. IT HAS THE CABLES.

Accessories can be a big deal, but sometimes you can muddle through with whatever you have at hand. The only problems I usually run into is if an accessory that came packed with a part is proprietary and then I'm reduced to hunting down an original or finding someone who can fab a quick and dirty substitute that may not be pretty but is still functional. Like, I have two Quantum3D cards here. One is a 200SBi that I got loose (for a stupidly cheap price) without a Medusa cable and the other is an X-24 that I got nearly complete in box with a cable. The only things it was missing was the game demo CD's. I'm not going to sweat the game demos, but if I see them anywhere I won't pass them up, but finding a Medusa cable by itself is EXPENSIVE. I googled for one once and found a place that wanted something ridiculous like $140 or $160 for one so I passed on it. I don't hold out much hope that I will find a second cable for what I am willing to pay, but I've gotten my hands on rarer things than that for cheap so it's not impossible.

Reply 1859 of 52822, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
luckybob wrote:
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Accessories can be a big deal, but sometimes you can muddle through with whatever you have at hand. The only problems I usually run into is if an accessory that came packed with a part is proprietary and then I'm reduced to hunting down an original or finding someone who can fab a quick and dirty substitute that may not be pretty but is still functional. Like, I have two Quantum3D cards here. One is a 200SBi that I got loose (for a stupidly cheap price) without a Medusa cable and the other is an X-24 that I got nearly complete in box with a cable. The only things it was missing was the game demo CD's. I'm not going to sweat the game demos, but if I see them anywhere I won't pass them up, but finding a Medusa cable by itself is EXPENSIVE. I googled for one once and found a place that wanted something ridiculous like $140 or $160 for one so I passed on it. I don't hold out much hope that I will find a second cable for what I am willing to pay, but I've gotten my hands on rarer things than that for cheap so it's not impossible.

I've come across Medusa cables on ebay occasionally for 10-15 bucks a few times before, but that was a long time ago.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z