VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2244 of 52951, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was that 4mb Real3D Starfighter on ebay recently? I remember posting the link to one. You're going to hate hearing this, but there's an 8mb (or is it 16?) PCI card on ebay right now. I've never seen 2 of those come up for sale so close together before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Real-3D-Intel-740-8-8 … =item19dcd1097a

Reply 2245 of 52951, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're going to hate hearing this, but there's an 8mb (or is it 16?) PCI card on ebay right now.

Not anymore. I don't know who would want to pay $50 for such a thing, but apparently somebody thought it was worthwhile.

Reply 2246 of 52951, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

You're going to hate hearing this, but there's an 8mb (or is it 16?) PCI card on ebay right now.

Not anymore. I don't know who would want to pay $50 for such a thing, but apparently somebody thought it was worthwhile.

Anyone who knows how hard they are to find would pay that. I paid more than that for mine, but I got the 24mb (8+16) version.

Reply 2247 of 52951, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

agreed.

Reply 2249 of 52951, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

Twas worth it to me since I needed this one for my Real3D i740 collection. Just need the 24MB version now...
😜

You can't have mine!!! 😜

OK, maybe for a million dollars you can. 😁

Reply 2250 of 52951, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
Artex wrote:

Twas worth it to me since I needed this one for my Real3D i740 collection. Just need the 24MB version now...
😜

You can't have mine!!! 😜

OK, maybe for a million dollars you can. 😁

Hahah 😀 Thought I'd get a reponse from ya on that one.

Reply 2251 of 52951, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's the deal with the i740 ? what's so special, I used to have one with 4Mb manufactured by Intel, the card sucked I think it gave it away, perhaps it was the version I had.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 2252 of 52951, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vmunix wrote:

What's the deal with the i740 ? what's so special, I used to have one with 4Mb manufactured by Intel, the card sucked I think it gave it away, perhaps it was the version I had.

http://www.vintage3d.org/i740.php

Reply 2253 of 52951, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vmunix wrote:

The deal is that the PCI version is actually faster than the AGP because it uses onboard texture memory instead of accessing main memory over the AGP bus. AGP may have more bandwith than PCI, but it doesn't have more bandwith than onboard texture memory.

The PCI cards are also a lot rarer because Intel pulled i740 off the market before many could be made.

Reply 2256 of 52951, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up an Adaptec 39160 SCSI card and 2 sleeved SCSI cables so I can finally muck around with a few 36.4gb 10k drives I recovered from the "toss" pile at work. Have one installed and setup in my Glide Rocket right now.

Well, apparently I managed to inadvertently toss some old gear, including... a backup Voodoo 5500 [Doh!] It only needed a cap re-soldered to go back into action, and after the shock and dismay wore off I stalked eBay and managed to pick up a working replacement BIN at a decent price. Uncomfortable without backups for 3dfx parts - not because they fail, but what would you do if you're only one broke?! That's solved for now phew:)

Reply 2257 of 52951, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got this on the mail today:

Soundscape Elite Ensoniq boxed, 25€ + 5€ shipping.

cimg6460a.jpg
cimg6462z.jpg
cimg6465a.jpg
cimg6469o.jpg

The invoice is worth cheking out. It cost the guy 44.000 with a 25% discount, so that would have been 33.000 pesetas (spanish currency of the time) which is around 200 euros. But, we are talking about 1997. So 200 euros at the time had a higher value. Also you have to add that the euro is much stronger that the old spanish pesetas. And that spanish economy was quite weaker when compared to the american, english, french, german, etc. In conclusion, that would have been a hell of lot money for a Spanish teenager. Maybe an equivalent to 600 euros if we make a round convertion. It amazes me how all is so relative...

BTW shouldn't this be a pinned thread?

Reply 2258 of 52951, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love "lot" auctions like this! http://www.ebay.com/itm/111076724208

I'll let everyone here guess why I bought the lot. hint: 2 cards

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2259 of 52951, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I love "lot" auctions like this! http://www.ebay.com/itm/111076724208

I'll let everyone here guess why I bought the lot. hint: 2 cards

To me the most interesting is the Midi Quest card (but it's missing the adaptor) and the Future Domain ISA SCSI card.

That is unless you really wanted a Live!... 😁