VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2660 of 52817, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Asus P3B-F is ~THE~ 440BX (slot 1) board to own. I owned one new, back in the day. That board stayed with me from a p2-233 all the way to a 1ghz chip.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2661 of 52817, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

The Asus P3B-F is ~THE~ 440BX (slot 1) board to own. I owned one new, back in the day. That board stayed with me from a p2-233 all the way to a 1ghz chip.

Isn't 440BX great?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2663 of 52817, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just picked up this 486 beast today, including an ugly as hell (but functional) Logitech 3-button serial mouse. I already de-soldered the crusty barrel battery and everything else looks good. Found a nice Promise cache controller inside, a Mediavision PAS 16, a VLB Diamond Viper card with the Weitek 9000 chipset, and the motherboard appears to be a SiS chipset (can anyone identify it?).

The tower itself is massive, weighing about 43 Lbs. Check out the tape drive and the 'fake' 3.5" drive bay covers! Oddly, the CD-ROM appears to use a 50-pin SCSI connection but I don't see a SCSI controller anywhere...

84n7.jpg
whh2.jpg
51fb.jpg
y1x9.jpg
hu44.jpg
wy1f.jpg
ict7.jpg
onnt.jpg
2s12.jpg
1v7q.jpg
05lv.jpg
z9vy.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2665 of 52817, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:
Artex wrote:

Oddly, the CD-ROM appears to use a 50-pin SCSI connection but I don't see a SCSI controller anywhere...

That would be on the PAS16. 😉

Omg. Now I'm a little embarrassed. 😀

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2666 of 52817, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is an epic case. A pretty damn nice system inside it too.

I like how it has the two fake floppy bezels in the 3.5" bays, and yet they mounted the actual 3.5" floppy drive in a 5.25" slot. 🤣

Reply 2667 of 52817, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whoa what a monster! I have a PCI vga card with that chipset, and it sucks for DOS games. I assume it's more of a CAD card, and I'm guessing that viper is in the same boat. It would have cost a bomb back in the day.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2668 of 52817, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice system. Would have cost a fortune back in the day...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2669 of 52817, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Nice system. Would have cost a fortune back in the day...

Thanks! A few probs so far... hard drive appears shot. Substituted a 1.3GB Seagate which is detected properly by the BIOS, but doesn't boot past the 256KB/Cache 50Mhz POST screen. Tried cable select, etc. Floppy controller doesn't appear to be working on the Promise card either. I swapped in another VLB controller card but I'm getting the same error, even after reversing the cable for proper pin 1 placement. The 5.25 floppy is daisy chained, so I'll have to see what's all connected. Ahh the fun old 486 days... What I need to track down is the jumper config for the motherboard and cache controller. The case Mhz display is showing 50Mhz which is awesome!!

Definitely forgot how hard it was to get these things up and running back in the day...It's so "dumbed down" nowadays...

Last edited by Artex on 2013-10-20, 01:26. Edited 1 time in total.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2670 of 52817, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

486 are the hardest parts to work with. A jumper jungle and so many different CPUs, FSBs, Multipliers, Cache strategies.

You KNOW you just want an easy to work with Super Socket 7 ATX based DOS Time-Machine 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2671 of 52817, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Whoa what a monster! I have a PCI vga card with that chipset, and it sucks for DOS games. I assume it's more of a CAD card, and I'm guessing that viper is in the same boat. It would have cost a bomb back in the day.

Funny you say that.. The guy I bought it from said the previous owner was into CAD/architecture/graphic design way back in the day (1993?).... so what you say fits. The card does have 2MB VRAM.

1gl4.jpg

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2672 of 52817, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

486 are the hardest parts to work with. A jumper jungle and so many different CPUs, FSBs, Multipliers, Cache strategies.

You KNOW you just want an easy to work with Super Socket 7 ATX based DOS Time-Machine 😁

I gotta tell you man, I've seen nearly all of your videos and I'm getting close to doing the same thing. I have several MPU-401ATs (and all necessary external Roland modules), a few Super Socket 7 MBs, and now that they have a front loading Compact Flash-to-IDE 3.5" bay, I'm REALLY close.

BUT... I have these glorious 486MBs sitting around in anti-static bags... I hate to seem em like that. 🙁

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2673 of 52817, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

That is an epic case. A pretty damn nice system inside it too.

I like how it has the two fake floppy bezels in the 3.5" bays, and yet they mounted the actual 3.5" floppy drive in a 5.25" slot. 🤣

Haha. I thought the same.. How ridiculous! Also love the "Fastest Keyboard BIOS" chip. 😎 Pretty baller to put that on your BIOS chip...

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2674 of 52817, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Closeup up the NEC Multispin 50-pin SCSI Tray-loading CD drive.. and others..

Drive bonanza!

fqyo.jpg

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2676 of 52817, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn you Artex!

I love full tower cases!

Where did it come from?

Sweet Case and cache I/O card - those are not easy to come by.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 2677 of 52817, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a bunch of stuff in early 2012 from a local Craigslist advert. He remembered me and my collection and thought I might be interested in this thing.

Last edited by Artex on 2013-10-20, 14:38. Edited 1 time in total.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2678 of 52817, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a hardware in fact, but anyway.

Funny thing is that I haven't got any MediaVision hardware. Though looking forth to acquire a 8-bit ProAudioSpectrum.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 2679 of 52817, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got two PSUs (AT and ATX), and an S3 sound card (?) from the thrift store today.
Also for the first time ever found some interesting games there: Tomb Raider 1 & 2, Riven, and Railroad Tycoon.