Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2701 of 52974, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

In 2 or so weeks I will have some time at my hands.

Getting some 386 and 486 gear so I definitely want to do some videos.

Any suggestions?

I've been digging through the 6th edition of the "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" book trying to familiarize myself with the 486 generation - one that I completely skipped over growing up, moving from a Packard Bell 386 SX16 to a Gateway 2000 Pentium 75. I have to say, this generation was (is?) a real challenge compared to the more current ATX/socket 7/PCI stuff, especially when dealing with some unknown off-brand VLB boards. Thankfully, most of the jumper information is out there on that stason.org site, but WOW - getting things up and running has proven to be a major pain! I never even knew that Overdrive chips were basically the same things as DX2s, which I didn't know were clock-doubled processors. It' basically a whole new pool of knowledge I'm slowly acquiring - funny how I picked this stuff up so easily when I was younger. Perhaps too many gin & tonics over time and my 34 year old brain is shot??

😀

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2702 of 52974, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think most of this is because back in the day you had a little sheet with your motherboard with all the jumper settings 😀

But yes, 486 boards are the hardest ones to get going. So many settings.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2706 of 52974, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

What's that CRT in the corner? 21" shadow mask?

Yep - it's a Viewsonic G810.

Last edited by Artex on 2013-11-03, 01:50. Edited 1 time in total.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2707 of 52974, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Nice man cave 😁

Hahah!
Not my man cave - just a temporary storage spot for the systems I'm not tearing apart and messing with. My man cave (just an office) is too small to have these goodies up and running at once. I dig your set up - much more real estate to spread out all of your gear.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2708 of 52974, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

Cleaning the basement and organizing some of my retro boxes today..

I'm still using one of those Enlight 7237 cases for my main rig (2006'ish Pentium D). Enlight really liked to use a thick gauge steel, unlike the cheap flimsy cases of today. The power supplies that came with those units were horrid though.

Reply 2711 of 52974, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

I think that Gateway 2000 tower looks slick 😀

Yes! That thing is a tank. Solid and HEAVY.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2712 of 52974, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have got this stuff saterday.

24xdsg2.jpg

2n712dw.jpg

3088io2.jpg

20f8b2o.jpg

11lskqp.jpg

29nh6bs.jpg

Iam most happy with:

KVM switch for 2 pc (new in box)

Creative CD-rom player with caddy`s (dont know if it would work, but worth giving it a try) (I thought this drive came bundled with the CT1330 sound blaster pro I guess??)
Can i hook it up om a CD-rom interface card?? Because i want to use it in my 286 build and SB 2.0 (this soundcard doesnt have a cd-rom interface)

Got 2 Turbo Led PCB`s dont know when iam going it to use.. But always handy when finding a case for it.

A NEW TEAC CD-55A drive, with drivers, interface card, propatary interface cable..(and both manuals how to install this drive) (i red that this drive isnt the best on earth) but i will try it out..

Quantum GB harddisk (dont know the size(couldnt find it on the drive it self) So need to test it out)

Soundblaster CT 1740 SB 16 card

Mozart wave table card (dont know how good it is)

Some vibra soundcards three ct2960 ones and one ct2940

One Terratec sound system card OPTI 929.. I had already one, this is my second..

Some 3COM LAN cards 10Mbit.. Maybe going to use those to link all of my vintage computers together.

One Canon 5 1/4 1.2MB floppy drive.. Didnt tested it yet.. Maybe need to have a cleaning disk inserted.

Creative AWE 64 CT 4520

Two VLB VGA cards.. (maybe not the best, but better anything then nothing)

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2714 of 52974, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

Nice haul! Was that a single purchase? I wish I could get stuff like that. Usually I have to get individual stuff for quite a bit of coin.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2715 of 52974, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No pictures for you (oh well) but I did rescue from a skip at uni a nice 486.

I thought about taking just the bits I wanted and leaving the AT case behind but I didn't want to waste time because I basically wanted everything in the box)
Anyway it is a 486DX2 (no heatsink apparently, which is a little surprising because I thought those got fairly hot), 16MB RAM, 210MB HDD, 1.2mb 5¼" FDD as well as the usual 3½.
I belive the video card is an isa TSENG Labs card which is nice, some VLB disk controller, an isa nic and a very strange 8bit ISA card which has what looks like a floppy ide connector that is on the outside of the card so accessible from the back of the case instead of internally.
The most important thing though is that it had a lithium battery so no potential leakage and that the internals were super clean, barely any dust anywhere and the PSU is really quite quiet surprisingly

Although this skip has been quite bountiful in things for me to have from a week or two ago. I grabbed a complete Pentium 90 system in another AT desktop case

Also a bc3486F rev 1.2 mobo which has a 486 but empty sockets for 386 and 387. That would be this motherboard
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/C/CA … 86-BC3486F.html

Lastly I got an Am386DX-40 with 387 which looks like it is this board except with a different cpu
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb … opti495slcp.jpg

I got some ISA NICs as well which is nice addition to any DOS machine IMO because mTCP is so good.

The most exotic thing I got however I cannot identify at all, probably need pictures to explain it but I'll try without it.
It is a full length 8bit isa card with 2 BNC connectors one labeled as GATE and the other as ADC, as well as a switch with options COINC and ANTI, some sort of round socket called LLD and a reset button. I think perhaps these were used for experiments as this stuff came from a research chemistry building. Theres some numbers and stuff but google doesn't tell me anything.

Thats basically everything I've got lately, there was also an AT minitower that I grabbed a month or so ago which is kindof ugly with a Pentium 133 in it nothing exciting really.

I hope you dont think I'm greedy in having 5 AT cases in this room 😜

Reply 2716 of 52974, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awergh wrote:

I thought about taking just the bits I wanted and leaving the AT case behind

As hard as it's getting to find AT cases and you were going to let one go the crusher? Shame on you! 😠

Reply 2717 of 52974, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow now that is a waste to let an AT case go to the dump/scrappers, you will regret that later once you have a need for an AT case. They are hard to get as it is while the boards are easy but the cases and power supplies are not.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2718 of 52974, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Robin4 wrote:

Nice haul! Was that a single purchase? I wish I could get stuff like that. Usually I have to get individual stuff for quite a bit of coin.

Yes it was one haul. Two crates full of that stuff in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2719 of 52974, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Robin4 wrote:

Yes it was one haul. Two crates full of that stuff in total.

You need to be careful when ordering bulk lots of parts, especially when a lot of the parts aren't particularly difficult to find. The shipping costs will kill you beyond a certain point and make you regret purchasing what seemed like a good deal.