Topic actions

Reply 2720 of 52812, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
awergh wrote:

I thought about taking just the bits I wanted and leaving the AT case behind

As hard as it's getting to find AT cases and you were going to let one go the crusher? Shame on you! 😠

nforce4max wrote:

Wow now that is a waste to let an AT case go to the dump/scrappers, you will regret that later once you have a need for an AT case. They are hard to get as it is while the boards are easy but the cases and power supplies are not.

I knew someone would make me feel bad for what I've left behind in the past. Well I already felt somewhat bad partly because I was sure I wouldn't need it at the time but anyway more recently it is just a lot of effort to take home I guess. Mainly because I have to take it on the bus home which is alot more effort then just taking components because I don't have to carry anything. I know it is kindof sacrilige to leave stuff to die like that and I do feel bad but in the recent case it was that there were two cases so I took the one that was easier to take home. I probably could of grabbed the case the next day.... but I think it was bent out of shape at that point with other stuff on top of it and I kindof think there is a limit to how many cases I can have before someone complains that I might have a few too many.

That is basically my thoughts yesterday but ultimately grabbed it anyway, not that I didn't like the case or didn't want it, just that it was a problem of space and only being able to grab so much. Its more a problem in winter when the sun comes in so I can't just have the middle of my bedroom full of computers because I'd rather leave them out of the sun.

I hope you don't stay angry and disppointed with me forever 🙁 🙁

PS: I'm sure I'll regret it at some point just like whenever I leave/chuck out anything and realise I should of kept/got whatever it is but such is life I guess

Reply 2721 of 52812, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow I didn't know AT cases are so rare. But you can't rescue every hardware you come across either 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2722 of 52812, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Wow I didn't know AT cases are so rare. But you can't rescue every hardware you come across either 😀

In some places they are more rare than others, but yeah, sources for AT cases are beginning to dry up as more collectors start looking for them for their pre-ATX builds.

Reply 2723 of 52812, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

You need to be careful when ordering bulk lots of parts, especially when a lot of the parts aren't particularly difficult to find. The shipping costs will kill you beyond a certain point and make you regret purchasing what seemed like a good deal.

Who said i paid shipping costs for it?? It was from some guy who wanted to get moving to an other house.. So he was just cleaning up.. He lives about 15km from me..

I bought earlier some stuff from him.. Why toss this stuff away if i can use it for my retro gaming pcs..

My last haul:

$T2eC16dHJI!FHSp+F!BKBS,W6Kd!ig~~60_12.JPG
QDI/Legend V4P895P3 Rev. 5.0 ( i had already a non-working version 4.0 here) Tried to find a bios upgrade for it.. Hope i can use version 5 bios on the version 4 motherboard.
But this board works and have support for AMD Am5x86-P75 133 MHz processor.. (this my second board that support this processor with ISA slots and VLB..
Just what iam looking for.

Ive got twelve 400ml airspray canisters to clean my hardware with.. for a very good price (normally these are expensive, you paid 10 euros voor one canister.

2vbv5za.jpg

A nice 286-12 motherboard. Dont know the brand, but others are hard to find and they are getting very expensive at this moment.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2725 of 52812, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those are nice looking boards, I'm not quite sure what I would use a 286 board for (wouldn't stop me from buying one though)
That 486 looks quite similar to the 486 I got yesterday actually (maybe I'll check later when I've finished studying for exams for the day.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Thanks now I don't have to feel bad about about it all day. I think you can still find AT cases on ebay au when people sell entire systems every so often but I assume shipping might be problematic as people don't seem to like shipping big things.

Reply 2726 of 52812, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:
Who said i paid shipping costs for it?? It was from some guy who wanted to get moving to an other house.. So he was just cleanin […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

You need to be careful when ordering bulk lots of parts, especially when a lot of the parts aren't particularly difficult to find. The shipping costs will kill you beyond a certain point and make you regret purchasing what seemed like a good deal.

Who said i paid shipping costs for it?? It was from some guy who wanted to get moving to an other house.. So he was just cleaning up.. He lives about 15km from me..

I bought earlier some stuff from him.. Why toss this stuff away if i can use it for my retro gaming pcs..

My last haul:

$T2eC16dHJI!FHSp+F!BKBS,W6Kd!ig~~60_12.JPG
QDI/Legend V4P895P3 Rev. 5.0 ( i had already a non-working version 4.0 here) Tried to find a bios upgrade for it.. Hope i can use version 5 bios on the version 4 motherboard.
But this board works and have support for AMD Am5x86-P75 133 MHz processor.. (this my second board that support this processor with ISA slots and VLB..
Just what iam looking for.

Ive got twelve 400ml airspray canisters to clean my hardware with.. for a very good price (normally these are expensive, you paid 10 euros voor one canister.

2vbv5za.jpg

A nice 286-12 motherboard. Dont know the brand, but others are hard to find and they are getting very expensive at this moment.

Oh, OK. I thought this was an ebay deal or something. I ordered a box full of old Mac stuff from the UK once because the price was good but after the seller got back to me with the shipping cost I ended up picking and choosing what I wanted from the lot and telling the seller he could either resell the rest or just discard it. He got paid the same whether he shipped the entire lot or not so he didn't really care. There was a lot of stuff in that lot that I didn't have a use for, either now or in the foreseeable future, anyway and it would have just sat around collecting dust until I decided to throw it away myself.

Reply 2728 of 52812, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing too extreme but found a very rare Thinkpad 43p Type 2668-h2u with the high res 1600x1200 panel, besides the screen the reason why this machine would be special is due to having twice the normal vram.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2732 of 52812, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

Thinkpads T43P are cool, I have one (along with 50+ other models).

What do you think about the W500 and T500? Got a t500 and its the best, stripped out the crap and shoved a heap of upgrades.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2733 of 52812, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a7dt.jpg

found them at a thrift. Don't see much MFM stuff in the wild so I couldn't pass them up though I give the hdd's about a 10% chance of actually working once I get around to testing them

Reply 2736 of 52812, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you mean Miniscribe. The actual model number should be 3650, IIRC. I wouldn't expect too much out of it... those damn things barely worked right when they were new.

The ST-251 shouldn't give you too much of a problem though. Those were about as indestructible as the ST-225.

Reply 2737 of 52812, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just so you know, 5150 only has a 63W power supply. I think it's enough to power a 3.5" drive, but I don't know if I'd take my chances with a 5.25" half height drive. You might want to consider getting an XT power supply.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium