Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 2740 of 52940, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Just so you know, 5150 only has a 63W power supply. I think it's enough to power a 3.5" drive, but I don't know if I'd take my chances with a 5.25" half height drive. You might want to consider getting an XT power supply.

already ahead of ya, first thing I did when I got it was upgrade the PSU.

Reply 2741 of 52940, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought box "untested" video cards.
The price was ~20 dollar total, no shipping needed since it was a local seller.

They all seem to work, at least the ones I have tried so far.
The only negative I can say is that it is mostly cards I already own one or a few of.
The exeption beeing a Gf 5600 ultra so im glad it was in the box. Its the red card in the picture.

Other cards of intrest.
Radeon 7000 DDR PCI (I have one already but I cant find it)
GF3 ti200 (I have loads of these)
2x Gf2 MX and 4x new! Gf4 MX (I have plenty of these)

The rest of the cards are pretty much boring crap, 3x ATI x300, ATI x600 and a Nvidia 9600 GT

0xg3.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2742 of 52940, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:
http://www.symphoniae.com/soundcard/IBM/PS1/JPG/92F9425_s.jpg […]
Show full quote

92F9425_s.jpg

Little box o' trouble...

what's inside?! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2743 of 52940, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:
Show full quote

92F9425_s.jpg

Little box o' trouble...

what's inside?! 😊

Must be a Playstation!! 😀

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2744 of 52940, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:
Show full quote

92F9425_s.jpg

Little box o' trouble...

what's inside?! 😊

If he's married, it doesn't matter what's inside. Every box that arrives is filled with trouble when you're married.

Reply 2745 of 52940, by thegardentool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well today I saved quite a few things from going to the scrappers. No idea on working conditions yet. The guy I got them from buys storage units at auction. He said the unit these came from was somebody who had owned a computer repair store, and had the storage unit for over 10 years. These were all the way in the back so it's quite possible they were in storage since the early 2000s.

Here's the breakdown:
5 Sound Cards: ESS AudioDrive ES1868F, SB16 CT2230, Analog Devices AA1815, Analog Devices AD1845, Media Vision Pro PAR
4 Video Cards: Trident TVGA8900CL-B, Trident TGUI 9680, Diamond Speedstar Pro, WDC Paradise PVGA1A-JK, Diamond Stealth64 Video 2500
2 3.5" Floppy Drives 1 is a Sony the other is a Mitsumi
4 Hard Drives: Quantum Fireball 540MB, Quantum Maverick Prodrive 540MB, Matrox 2.1GB, Matrix 213MB
3 AT PSUs 2 are DVE 200w the other is a Lead Year 150w
8 Motherboards with CPUs:
Asus VX97 with an Intel Mobile Pentium 133 SY028
unknown OPTi Viper motherboard with an Intel Pentium 100 SX963
Biostar 8500URC-A with an Intel Pentium 75 SY005
Chicony CH-491E with a Cyrix CX486 DX40 (Exploded Barrel Battery)
Gigabyte GA-586HX with an Intel Pentium MMX 233 SL27S
PC Chips M919 V3.4B/F with an AMD AM586 X5-133ADW
FIC 486-GAC-2 with an unknown CPU (From what I found this was used in an AT&T Globalyst 510 or 515...and the CPUs seem to have been either an 486SX2 or DX2 most likely...also think it's suffered from barrel battery explosion) LPX without riser
an Unknown Packard Bell motherboard with an OPTI chipset and a soldered i486SX20 with another exploded barrel battery. Also an LPX without riser 🙁

And a whole slew of mixed RAM probably close to 100 pieces. Most are consistent with the time period--30 pin and 72 pin. Looked like a few pieces of SD-RAM and maybe 1 DDR...

He had some other stuff but I had no use for it. He also had 6 or 7 AT cases but unfortunately they had been taken apart at some point. All were missing buttons, most were missing the faceplates or covers. The one that had the face plate and cover was in somewhat rough shape so I didn't think it was worth trying to track down the stuff to finish it.

(Edited from the original post to add more information)

Last edited by thegardentool on 2013-11-08, 00:37. Edited 2 times in total.

Main: 7800X3D | X670e | 3090 | 4k144hz
Retro: Kind of together: P3 | ASUS P3B-F | Canopus Spectra 2500 | Canopus Pure3D II SLI | (sometimes a Voodoo 5 AGP) | SoundBlaster AWE32|

Reply 2746 of 52940, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

If he's married, it doesn't matter what's inside. Every box that arrives is filled with trouble when you're married.

What? I'm married, and none of my boxes are filled with trouble.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2747 of 52940, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Then you are either very lucky or very sneaky about getting the things you buy into the house without attracting attention. Women generally don't understand these things and see old computer parts as junk to be thrown out.

Reply 2748 of 52940, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
badmojo wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Then you are either very lucky or very sneaky about getting the things you buy into the house without attracting attention. Women generally don't understand these things and see old computer parts as junk to be thrown out.

Couldn't agree more. Oh... that look is so cold it gives me shivers. Our front door faces the street and when we pull into the driveway she immediately sees the boxes waiting there for me and just scowls... 😵

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2749 of 52940, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Oh... that look is so cold it gives me shivers. Our front door faces the street and when we pull into the driveway she immediately sees the boxes waiting there for me and just scowls... 😵

Yup, same story here.

Reply 2750 of 52940, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Lol, have you ever actually spoken to a woman? Staring at your shoes and mumbling doesn't count.

And if you lads are getting cold stares for buying old computer bits then I'd suggest it's a manifestation of a deeper dissatisfaction. What are your special lady friends missing out on? 😈

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2751 of 52940, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Lol, have you ever actually spoken to a woman? Staring at your shoes and mumbling doesn't count.

And if you lads are getting cold stares for buying old computer bits then I'd suggest it's a manifestation of a deeper dissatisfaction. What are your special lady friends missing out on? 😈

It's the fact that the $$$ could be spent elsewhere - aka - on my wife... dinners, shoes, spa days, flowers, etc. 😀

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2752 of 52940, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

my parents had a good system for "hobbies". For every $ my dad spent, she spent one. For every room he 'took over' she got a different one. I remember their bedroom was the main battleground...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2753 of 52940, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
sliderider wrote:

It has nothing to do with that. Mainly what it has to do with is when you fill all the closets in the house with boxes of computer parts, she has less room for new clothes and shoes. And forget about putting ANYTHING in the spare bedroom where her mother stays when she sleeps over, that's grounds for divorce.

Reply 2754 of 52940, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
badmojo wrote:
sliderider wrote:

It has nothing to do with that. Mainly what it has to do with is when you fill all the closets in the house with boxes of computer parts, she has less room for new clothes and shoes. And forget about putting ANYTHING in the spare bedroom where her mother stays when she sleeps over, that's grounds for divorce.

Well said!

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2755 of 52940, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bytesaber wrote:

Canopus Pure 3D

Found it on eBay. This is a 6MB version of a 3dfx Voodoo card. Most vendors used the standard 4MB. It came with the manual, driver CD, and the 9 pin VGA pass through cable. Also found the decal sitting in one of the pages of the manual!

would you mind measuring the canopus vga-loop cable pin connections? I don't have one anymore and it's the same kind of loop cable which also matches the miro hiscore 3d cards

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 2756 of 52940, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today (2013/11/08): MIF-APL, MIF-C64, MPU-401AT, CM-32L (for parts?), @ EU address:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attac … 57&d=1383925043 (all except for MPU-401AT will be for sale / trade in January)

Today (2013/11/08): 82086 clone, EGA, 1MB RAM, 40MB HDD, @ EU address:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attac … 59&d=1383929075 (will be for sale / trade in January)
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attac … 60&d=1383929075 (will be for sale / trade in January)
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/attac … 61&d=1383929075 (will be for sale / trade in January)

My wife is upset about me restarting my vintage computer hobby. So I will have to be very picky on what to keep / play with and the unfortunately sell / trade. 😒

Reply 2757 of 52940, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thegardentool wrote:

Media Vision Pro PAR

That's just a version of MediaVision Pro Audio Spectrum 16. Good card.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 2758 of 52940, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You guys are unlucky. My girlfriend finds my hobby interesting and often asks to see what I'm fiddling with. But then again I only bring out one old PC at a time and have all the rest of the stuff packed away when I'm not using them. I don't litter them all over the house.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2759 of 52940, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tell them that they are always number two after my hobby. I'm single 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel