Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 4761 of 52977, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tokroger wrote:

...and this, what cable is this? somekind of display cable perhaps?

9-to15-pin VGA cable (Old VGA monitors used the 9-pin variant).

Reply 4764 of 52977, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
tokroger wrote:

I had a brother word processor long ago that used a cable like that, but the display was monochrome?
Was it actually a VGA display then?

Reply 4767 of 52977, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:
5u3 wrote:
tokroger wrote:

I had a brother word processor long ago that used a cable like that, but the display was monochrome?
Was it actually a VGA display then?

Monochrome VGA displays definitely did exist, and Brother do describe at least their NB-60 model as being monochrome VGA, so it is possible.

Reply 4768 of 52977, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote:

For free :

No way I can compete with that, but...

I've recently started playing UT99 again with a friend from school (we used to do this frequently in '99-'00).

Today, he gave his old machine to me. He didn't know what was inside anymore, and I didn't know either. We both thought it was a K6-2 (which would've been awesome regardless), but as soon as I saw the ATX case, I doubted that theory.

Opened it up, hoping it wouldn't be a Slot-1 system:
SUGItTX.jpg

Saw the slot processor (still hoping), aaand:
rKgPp4K.jpg

YES! Score! Original Slot-A Athlon, 700 Mhz, and a GeForce 256 DDR to boot! Plus niceties like a DVD drive and CD burner. Works perfectly well, no visible cap damage.

It's a wonder how I beat him back then. Compared to my K6-2, this is a monster.

Reply 4769 of 52977, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oerk wrote:

YES! Score! Original Slot-A Athlon, 700 Mhz, and a GeForce 256 DDR to boot! Plus niceties like a DVD drive and CD burner. Works perfectly well, no visible cap damage.

Great find oerk! Like that case! 😀

Saw this the other day on ebay, looked like the perfect candidate for my 2000-2001 rig.

3DProphetii-gts_zps215e6e58.jpg

64mb 3D Prophet II GTS, Geforce 2 GTS Pro with DVI - Are these rare? It's the first one I've seen on the bay with DVI, unless I'm not looking hard enough! 😵

Last edited by foey on 2014-09-01, 22:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 4771 of 52977, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

Monochrome VGA displays definitely did exist, and Brother do describe at least their NB-60 model as being monochrome VGA, so it is possible.

I always wondered about that, thanks.

foey wrote:

Saw this the other day on ebay, looked like the perfect candidate for my 2000-2001 rig.

64mb 3D Prophet II GTS, Geforce 2 GTS Pro with DVI - Are these rare? It's the first one I've seen on the bay with DVI, unless I'm not looking hard enough! 😵

I have one of those, had to replace the heatsink on it, fan stopped working. Gets quite hot without the fan.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2015-08-13, 04:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4772 of 52977, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foey wrote:

Great find oerk! Like that case! 😀

luckybob wrote:

holy awesome tower batman!!

Thanks!! I've decided to leave it mostly as it us, just up the memory to 256MB and add a nice sound card (shame there's no ISA slot, but you can't have everything...).

THEN I'll have to make the other big tower I have (Slot 1 BX) accept a Coppermine PIII and see which one is faster :p (hint: doesn't matter, the Athlon is still more awesome)

@foey: Don't know if the GTS Pro is rare, but it's a cool looking card. Like the blue RAM heatsinks, and the DVI sure is practical.

Reply 4773 of 52977, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 3d Prophet II Ultra and I also had to replace the fan - Hercules seems to be quite famous for this isse =)

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 4774 of 52977, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That tower is just epic, and nice to see the early Athlon in Slot-A form. That computer must've been about as good as you could get when it was built, with a 700 MHz Athlon and a GeForce 256 DDR! Strange that it didn't have 256 or 512MB of RAM to match though. Is it an Argon Athlon, or a newer one?

Reply 4775 of 52977, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

That tower is just epic, and nice to see the early Athlon in Slot-A form. That computer must've been about as good as you could get when it was built, with a 700 MHz Athlon and a GeForce 256 DDR! Strange that it didn't have 256 or 512MB of RAM to match though. Is it an Argon Athlon, or a newer one?

It certainly was expensive. Well, not as expensive as a P3, but in that era it would've been idiotic to buy a P3 instead.

The Socket A system I built a year later (fall 2000) also originally only had 128MB RAM. For 98SE, 128MB really was enough.

Don't know which revision it is yet. Guessing it's an Argon. How can I check this? CPU-Z?

Reply 4776 of 52977, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

got the SC-55 MK2 service manual today, I am unsure how to proceed and scan it, the pages are 2x A4 size or something... but the info in there is great! check out these thumbnails (click on them and eventually you'll get the full version)

th_WP_20140902_003_zpsb483442a.jpg th_WP_20140902_004_zps45a2b61d.jpg th_WP_20140902_005_zps363912a5.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4778 of 52977, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:
It certainly was expensive. Well, not as expensive as a P3, but in that era it would've been idiotic to buy a P3 instead. […]
Show full quote
Lukeno94 wrote:

It certainly was expensive. Well, not as expensive as a P3, but in that era it would've been idiotic to buy a P3 instead.

The Socket A system I built a year later (fall 2000) also originally only had 128MB RAM. For 98SE, 128MB really was enough.

Don't know which revision it is yet. Guessing it's an Argon. How can I check this? CPU-Z?

CPU-Z should tell you, as will AIDA64/Everest if you have that. I wouldn't say it would've been idiotic to buy a P3 then, because AMD's motherboards weren't really a match for the 440BX/440GX series at that point - the VIA KT133A and KT266/266A didn't appear until 2001, and if you already had a 440BX board that worked with the P3, then it would've made sense to get one.