VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 4840 of 52979, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's an updated version of the VGA feature connector (kind of like AMC) that allows you to pass higher resolutions and colour depths.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4841 of 52979, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

It's an updated version of the VGA feature connector (kind of like AMC) that allows you to pass higher resolutions and colour depths.

I meant the cards you would connect to it... 🙄

Never seen a "SCSI-like" connector used for external expansion though - usually it's just pins or a finger. 😊

Reply 4842 of 52979, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not retro but hopefully useful for pre-widescreen games seeing as it's 5:4:

Iiyama Prolite B1980SD-B1 19" LED Monitor with Height/Tilt/Swivel Adjustable 5ms Speakers

60 and 75hz; 1280 x 1024

using it on a phenom ii 965/hd4850

Reply 4843 of 52979, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this yesterday with those lot of games for at the same church thrift store. Winman Midiman 1x1.
I've never owned one of these, I assume I can plug something like those ROLAND SCC-55's external MPU's into it? If I ever come across one.
Here are pics of it.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2015-08-13, 04:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4844 of 52979, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suspect the Winman is a windows only card I did a few searches and couldn't find anything that suggests it works under dos, Ive got the Winman 4X4 and unfortunately it might be completely useless for retro purposes, also got a midiman portman which is a midi device that plugs into the parralell port same thing I believe huge disappointment.

Reply 4845 of 52979, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:

I suspect the Winman is a windows only card I did a few searches and couldn't find anything that suggests it works under dos, Ive got the Winman 4X4 and unfortunately it might be completely useless for retro purposes, also got a midiman portman which is a midi device that plugs into the parralell port same thing I believe huge disappointment.

Yea your correct,
Since have the manual with it, I just read it and it says the only thing it supports under dos is cakewalk 😢 .
Thats a let down, oh well. Thanks for looking it up, I would of ignored the manual till I tried to use it 🤣 .

Reply 4846 of 52979, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes!

Scored another voodoo3 3500 (with blue cable) and another voodoo2 12mb for my collection. Bought these together for 15 euro, great deal i think.

Only had one 3500 and i like to have spares. Also think it is a great performer and a lot less common than the 3000 version.

Grand total of 25 3dfx cards and i keep buying them as long as the price is right 😀

Still haven`t got a 4500 to fill up the big empty hole in my collection.......one day it will come...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4847 of 52979, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

4500 is quite a let down IMO. It must have sold for little money when it came out when you compare the performance against the V3 3500.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4848 of 52979, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know, tested it with a voodoo5 by disabling one chip (exactly the same as a voodoo4 4500).

Voodoo rush and banshee are crap too (compared to voodoo1 and voodoo3) but i have these because i like to have the complete series. And that is the only reason that i want a voodoo4.

V5 6000 i can live without as these cards are way to expensive.

Reply 4849 of 52979, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VOODOO WEEK!

There was a local fleamarket today and the sun was shining so i went to take a look.

Found a voodoo rush and an Asus geforce 4 ti4200 128mb. Both work fine but the rush is missing its backplate and that`s a bit of a shame (how do people loose these?)
Because it has four connectors a standard plate won`t fit. Since i barely used my other rush it is ok for the collection and i`m glad it works.

paid 5 euro for both cards in total so can`t complain 😎

Reply 4852 of 52979, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Voodoo Rush has a back plate? None of mine do. Is there even a need for backplate on a Rush? The Intergraph Intense 3d and Hercules Stingray 128 don't have them.

Sorry, english is not my native language.....is it a mounting plate? The thing you fasten with a screw 😵 😎

Oh.... i googled backplate. No, that was not what i meant, my bad 😀 still don`t know the right word but you know what i mean now i guess.

Can`t we just speak dutch in here 🤣

Reply 4853 of 52979, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:
Sorry, english is not my native language.....is it a mounting plate? The thing you fasten with a screw :dead: :cool: […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Voodoo Rush has a back plate? None of mine do. Is there even a need for backplate on a Rush? The Intergraph Intense 3d and Hercules Stingray 128 don't have them.

Sorry, english is not my native language.....is it a mounting plate? The thing you fasten with a screw 😵 😎

Oh.... i googled backplate. No, that was not what i meant, my bad 😀 still don`t know the right word but you know what i mean now i guess.

Can`t we just speak dutch in here 🤣

Over the years I've heard that piece called "slot cover," "I/O shield," and "backplate" in various locations. And I agree with you - no idea how folks manage to lose those but still have the card. I've seen some Quantum3D boards over the years that never had one, and the explanation I've always seen is that they came out of arcades - otherwise no idea. 🤣

Reply 4854 of 52979, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure why sliderider thinks some of those cards never came with one, because basically every Google image for the Hercules Stingray 128 clearly has the mounting bracket (which is probably what I'd call that backplate), as do the images of the Intergraph Intense 3D.

Reply 4855 of 52979, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Solarstorm wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/0xj13OZl.jpg Not yet tested, but some cheap SD to IDE Adapters. […]
Show full quote

0xj13OZl.jpg
Not yet tested, but some cheap SD to IDE Adapters.

Interesting. Eager to find out what they are like 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4856 of 52979, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

Not sure why sliderider thinks some of those cards never came with one, because basically every Google image for the Hercules Stingray 128 clearly has the mounting bracket (which is probably what I'd call that backplate), as do the images of the Intergraph Intense 3D.

I think sliderider is thinking of something like this:
http://shop.watercool.de/WebRoot/Sage/Shops/W … E_GTX_680_1.jpg (the silver metal part that says "watercool GTX 680" on it) as a backplate, not the mounting bracket/backplate/IO shield/slot cover/etc magilicuddy (the thing the VGA/DVI/HDMI/LDF/whatever ports come through).

There are, however, some 3dfx-based Quantum3D arcade boards that don't have the mounting bracket/backplate/IO shield/slot cover/etc as well. You can see examples on Dodge Garage and elsewhere (they sometimes pop up on ebay as well).

Reply 4857 of 52979, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lukeno94 wrote:

8_thumb.jpg

This is what is referred to as a backplate these days. It goes on full length cards with a lot of components both as a heat spreader and to keep the card from sagging under it's own weight.

Reply 4859 of 52979, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lukeno94 wrote:

I'd just consider that to be the card's shroud.

Now you're confusing terms again. The shroud is the plastic housing that goes around the fans on the other side of the card.