Topic actions

Reply 5760 of 52967, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

@ Skyscraper

You shouldn't expect anyone selling scrap lots of computer parts to pack them to prevent them from getting damaged. The whole point of making a bulk lot and labeling it as scrap is to save on packing time and material and to not have to accept returns when half the parts don't work when they arrive because theya re being sold as junk to begin with. That's the reason why so many sellers are selling as-is, untested, scrap, junk, non-functioning, or as a collectible now. They don't have to deal with with returns when what they sell breaks and they can make a case against ebay if they force a refund even though the listing said it didn't work all along.

It wasnt sold as scrap though but as 11 AGP cards tested and working + 20 or so untested cards.
But the seller seemed dodgy so my expectations wasnt high.

I did also find a PCI SCSI card and a MPEG decoding card in the box along with some useless TV-cards.
I have tested the Radeon 9600 PRO for my benching project and at least this cards works flawlessly altough it looks somewhat roughed up.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5762 of 52967, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*Some* bulk lots can be pretty decent. The set of six untested laptops I got gave me six working laptops, although one turned out to have some signs of liquid damage. Only one had any real physical damage, and that was some small chips in the screen, and a palmrest that doesn't screw into the chassis any more, neither of which were likely to have been caused by the seller. It is very much a lucky dip though, even with good sellers.

Reply 5763 of 52967, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:

*Some* bulk lots can be pretty decent. The set of six untested laptops I got gave me six working laptops, although one turned out to have some signs of liquid damage. Only one had any real physical damage, and that was some small chips in the screen, and a palmrest that doesn't screw into the chassis any more, neither of which were likely to have been caused by the seller. It is very much a lucky dip though, even with good sellers.

I bought a lot of THREE 386 motherboards. One had keyboard issues, and finally died on the 5th boot (sparks...) and the other one didn't even boot. The third works well, no issues. $45 shipped for all of them....so not horrible, but not great either.

However, I did score a SoundBlaster Pro (I have 5 of them now...shesh), a Orchid 128 Fahrenheit ISA, multi IO controller, ISA IDE disk cache controller and Pro Audo Spectrum Plus all for $40.

I think I'm done with hardware collecting for now....🤣

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 5764 of 52967, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's very unfortunate, but at least one of them worked. I've found another couple of Pentium MMX laptops from oopsilon-it on eBay, both Dell Latitude CPs with HDD caddies and adapters in place... sadly, I can't afford to get them.

Reply 5765 of 52967, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you share photos of the three 386 motheboards, even though 2 are already dead?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5766 of 52967, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

finally pulled the trigger on ebay today

_57_zps32afb364.jpg

Shuttle-HOT 433 ver. 4 I have no idea what I'm going to do with it though when it gets here. maybe it will replace the infamous m919 motherboard I have in my one machine. it seems superior in just about every way except for that pesky Dallas RTC chip.

Reply 5767 of 52967, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ReeseRiverson wrote:
Well, this is pretty sweet, still factory sealed computer! Complete in box! I almost don't want to open it! :cool: […]
Show full quote

Well, this is pretty sweet, still factory sealed computer! Complete in box! I almost don't want to open it! 😎

IMG_0299-1000px.jpg
IMG_0300-1000px.jpg

It'd be ultra cool if I could get the original monitor for this thing.

Great find especially when it's manufactured by NEC. What kind of computer is that?

Reply 5771 of 52967, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I agree, the sticker looks like a Pentium MMX, and the 24x cd-rom drive dates it around late 1997 or early 1998 if I recall correctly, so that seems realistic.

Looks like a cool system. I personally don't mine that waffle pattern so much. Grats with getting a new-in-box NEC system 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 5772 of 52967, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also like the NEC pc, it's looking really really nice! nice find!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5773 of 52967, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

soviet conscript,

Is that the HOT-433 that I posted for $50 with a video card and RAM? I thought that was a really good deal at that price but I have too much stuff now and need to start thinning the herd.

Reply 5774 of 52967, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

soviet conscript,

Is that the HOT-433 that I posted for $50 with a video card and RAM? I thought that was a really good deal at that price but I have too much stuff now and need to start thinning the herd.

yhea, I thought it was to good a deal to pass up. I have an m919 but this board just seems better.

Reply 5775 of 52967, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been thrift shopping again today! Found a Schneider/Amstrad GT65 green monochrome monitor (FINALLY!!!) and two serial mice.

cRzneQJ.jpg

Also some games:
- Tomb Raider
- Grand Theft Auto 2
- Starfighter 3000
- The Dukes of Hazzard
- SimCity
- SimCity 2000
- SimCity 2000 Special Edition
- Theme Hospital
- Tom Clancy's ruthless.com
- Theme Park World
- Codename: Outbreak
- Oni
- Mafia 2
- Fallout 3

And uh, I got my sister into retro computing too now... She just bought a complete Amiga 1200 with monitor, CD drives, several floppy drives (both 5.25 and 3.5), optical mouse, scanner, joystick, and a truckload of CD's, floppy's, manuals, magazines, VHS tapes and who knows what more 😳

Reply 5776 of 52967, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

And uh, I got my sister into retro computing too now... She just bought a complete Amiga 1200 with monitor, CD drives, several floppy drives (both 5.25 and 3.5), optical mouse, scanner, joystick, and a truckload of CD's, floppy's, manuals, magazines, VHS tapes and who knows what more 😳

OMG that's impossible 😁

Reply 5777 of 52967, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:
finally pulled the trigger on ebay today […]
Show full quote

finally pulled the trigger on ebay today

_57_zps32afb364.jpg

Shuttle-HOT 433 ver. 4 I have no idea what I'm going to do with it though when it gets here. maybe it will replace the infamous m919 motherboard I have in my one machine. it seems superior in just about every way except for that pesky Dallas RTC chip.

actually. does anyone know if this is one of the boards with a undocumented 60mhz FSB setting?

Reply 5778 of 52967, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been thrift shopping again today! Found a Schneider/Amstrad GT65 green monochrome monitor (FINALLY!!!) and two serial mice.

Great picture

Also some games: - Tomb Raider - Grand Theft Auto 2 - Starfighter 3000 - The Dukes of Hazzard - SimCity - SimCity 2000 - SimCity […]
Show full quote

Also some games:
- Tomb Raider
- Grand Theft Auto 2
- Starfighter 3000
- The Dukes of Hazzard
- SimCity
- SimCity 2000
- SimCity 2000 Special Edition
- Theme Hospital
- Tom Clancy's ruthless.com
- Theme Park World
- Codename: Outbreak
- Oni
- Mafia 2
- Fallout 3

And uh, I got my sister into retro computing too now... She just bought a complete Amiga 1200 with monitor, CD drives, several floppy drives (both 5.25 and 3.5), optical mouse, scanner, joystick, and a truckload of CD's, floppy's, manuals, magazines, VHS tapes and who knows what more

Awesome!

actually. does anyone know if this is one of the boards with a undocumented 60mhz FSB setting?

Well anything above ~40Mhz would tend to be a big problem for PCI

Reply 5779 of 52967, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

That NEC is U-G-L-Y but awesome! 😎

It like it.. Is having a real Pentium 1 area period look.. 😘

~ At least it can do black and white~