VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 5780 of 53143, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

Great find especially when it's manufactured by NEC. What kind of computer is that?

NEC Ready 9840. Comes with Windows 95. This one has USB support. 😀

tokroger wrote:

ReeseRiverson: Where did you found that? How is it possible that it's still boxed, that's cool anyway 😀

Ebay, actually. $60, and I couldn't resist. 😎

MMaximus wrote:
kixs wrote:

Looks like some Pentium I non-MMX.

sticker looks like a Pentium 1 MMX though.

cool looking machine!

It's definitely a MMX Pentium 1. 233MHz.

LunarG wrote:

Yeah, I agree, the sticker looks like a Pentium MMX, and the 24x cd-rom drive dates it around late 1997 or early 1998 if I recall correctly, so that seems realistic.

Looks like a cool system. I personally don't mine that waffle pattern so much. Grats with getting a new-in-box NEC system 😀

Yeah, it comes with Microsoft Word 97, and Encarta 98.

keropi wrote:

I also like the NEC pc, it's looking really really nice! nice find!

Thanks! I'm even going to leave the specifications sticker right on the front too. 😎

Robin4 wrote:
Artex wrote:

That NEC is U-G-L-Y but awesome! 😎

It like it.. Is having a real Pentium 1 area period look.. 😘

I find machines from this era and even the 286 ~ 486 era to be awesome. 😀

Reply 5781 of 53143, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a Pentium 4 Prescott system today, not really that retro but its a really nice system.
I did my P4/Vista test a few weeks back and found it less of a pain than I would have thought.

Fujitsu SCALEO E, 43 Euro (With Vista key and disc).

The system I bought has a Nvidia Geforce 6600 as Video card and a Prescott 630 as CPU.
The chipset is i915 so it is not possible to upgrade the CPU beyond a faster Prescott.
I will replace the video card with a newer card that can decode H264 and the DVD with a Blu-ray.

scaleoE_front2Big.jpg

661_scaleo_e2_rearside_c.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5783 of 53143, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soviet conscript wrote:

nice, a PC that looks like a early 90's VCR

Yea exactly, it even has a small 90's style LCD display.
This unit actually looks exactly like the one I bought, the unit pictured above was a slightly different version.

665_scaleo_e2_open_c.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 5784 of 53143, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm intrigued by these HTPC systems. I think you'll have trouble replacing the video card though, looks like it's onboard and has a lot of additional circuitry for analog video in-/output. Kind of nice that it has these, as well as HDMI and eSATA (!), while being a P4 Prescott, which dates it to pretty much exactly 2006 😀

Reply 5786 of 53143, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oerk wrote:

I'm intrigued by these HTPC systems. I think you'll have trouble replacing the video card though, looks like it's onboard and has a lot of additional circuitry for analog video in-/output. Kind of nice that it has these, as well as HDMI and eSATA (!), while being a P4 Prescott, which dates it to pretty much exactly 2006 😀

The system uses both the onboard Intel video and a PCI-E low profile card.
It should not be a problem as long as the replacement video card is low enough, or so I hope.

Reply 5787 of 53143, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

soviet conscript,

Yes. 486 PCI boards with the UMC chipset have all the usual front side bus settings for Intel chips plus 40, 50, 60, and 66. The Shuttle HOT-433 is one of the best 486 motherboards for doing flat out speed runs but the M919 actually isn't all that bad if you can overlook the shoddy build quality and can source a cache RAM stick, which isn't that easy on it's own unless you get lucky and find one in a bulk memory lot or that has been misidentified by the seller as a Pentium COAST module. It was easier (and cheaper) for me to just buy a whole M919 with the cache stick installed than to try to buy one separately. wiredforservice was trying to sell one for like 5 years, but at his prices he can keep it.

Reply 5788 of 53143, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

soviet conscript,

Yes. 486 PCI boards with the UMC chipset have all the usual front side bus settings for Intel chips plus 40, 50, 60, and 66. The Shuttle HOT-433 is one of the best 486 motherboards for doing flat out speed runs but the M919 actually isn't all that bad if you can overlook the shoddy build quality and can source a cache RAM stick, which isn't that easy on it's own unless you get lucky and find one in a bulk memory lot or that has been misidentified by the seller as a Pentium COAST module. It was easier (and cheaper) for me to just buy a whole M919 with the cache stick installed than to try to buy one separately. wiredforservice was trying to sell one for like 5 years, but at his prices he can keep it.

I actually have the cache stick. picked it up separately off the vintage computer forums maybe a year ago for about $40, I lucked out on that though and the seller was nice enough to sell the stick separate. Its is a nice board but it has its oddities like the cache stick refused to work for me as long as EDO RAM was installed regardless of size. took me forever to figure out that was the issue. Also I have a Cyrix 120mhz chip in it now and I like how the BIOS supports some of its features but at 40mhz it does something odd with the bus slots. I forget exactly but there speed is cut so I had to rig the turbo button to the 40mhz jumper. boot the machine at 33mhz then after post hit the turbo button to get the full speed from my video card.

I don't know yet what I want to do with the hot-433, maybe try OCing the AMD 5x86. I also considered just making tossing in a Intel 66mhz 486 and making it my day to day 486 machine. It has some advantages over the VLB rig I use now like PCI slots, more L2 cache and that ps/2 mouse option but in a way I feel like I'm doing the board a disservice by doing that. like I need to hot rod it. Its like buying a Porsche and never driving it over 40mph.

Reply 5789 of 53143, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soviet conscript wrote:
sliderider wrote:

soviet conscript,

I actually have the cache stick. picked it up separately off the vintage computer forums maybe a year ago for about $40, I lucked out on that though and the seller was nice enough to sell the stick separate. Its is a nice board but it has its oddities like the cache stick refused to work for me as long as EDO RAM was installed regardless of size. took me forever to figure out that was the issue. Also I have a Cyrix 120mhz chip in it now and I like how the BIOS supports some of its features but at 40mhz it does something odd with the bus slots. I forget exactly but there speed is cut so I had to rig the turbo button to the 40mhz jumper. boot the machine at 33mhz then after post hit the turbo button to get the full speed from my video card.

I don't know yet what I want to do with the hot-433, maybe try OCing the AMD 5x86. I also considered just making tossing in a Intel 66mhz 486 and making it my day to day 486 machine. It has some advantages over the VLB rig I use now like PCI slots, more L2 cache and that ps/2 mouse option but in a way I feel like I'm doing the board a disservice by doing that. like I need to hot rod it. Its like buying a Porsche and never driving it over 40mph.

These cache sticks you guys are discussing, are they they same as the ones that stuck in to some of the early pentium motherboards, or are you referring to something else? Because I have about 4-5 of those pentium era cache sticks that stuck in the brown slots in the other room I've been saving for a few years now. I think all of mine are 512KB too. Are they worth selling on their own some day?

Reply 5790 of 53143, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
I bought a Pentium 4 Prescott system today, not really that retro but its a really nice system. I did my P4/Vista test a few wee […]
Show full quote

I bought a Pentium 4 Prescott system today, not really that retro but its a really nice system.
I did my P4/Vista test a few weeks back and found it less of a pain than I would have thought.

Fujitsu SCALEO E, 43 Euro (With Vista key and disc).

The system I bought has a Nvidia Geforce 6600 as Video card and a Prescott 630 as CPU.
The chipset is i915 so it is not possible to upgrade the CPU beyond a faster Prescott.
I will replace the video card with a newer card that can decode H264 and the DVD with a Blu-ray.

661_scaleo_e2_rearside_c.jpg

You'll have trouble finding another card that will support the SCART connections, on machines with those, it's usually a weird OEM card

Reply 5791 of 53143, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought today PCI USB-card for my dual-Athlon. But that isn´t very interesting. Grab this from pile of junk:

WP_20141215_00_42_12_Pro.jpg
Rocky 4786EV-RS-R40 industrial motherboard with 2.6 GHz P4. Actually there´s some caps missing and God knows whatelse but I think it´s kind of neat... What is that bus? Looks like VLB but think it isn´t

WP_20141215_00_42_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20141215_00_42_34_Pro.jpg
There´s everything you need...

Reply 5792 of 53143, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

These cache sticks you guys are discussing, are they they same as the ones that stuck in to some of the early pentium motherboards, or are you referring to something else? Because I have about 4-5 of those pentium era cache sticks that stuck in the brown slots in the other room I've been saving for a few years now. I think all of mine are 512KB too. Are they worth selling on their own some day?

it looks the same and does the same thing but the m919 cache stick is specifically for that 486 motherboard any other cache stick like the ones you have for Pentium machines can damage the m919 if used in it. thats why its kind of valuable and sought after. the sticks you have are far more common and were for Pentium machines and I think a lot of 90's macs used them to. I don't know how much a generic COAST module goes for but i'm guessing not a ton.

Reply 5793 of 53143, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tokroger wrote:
Bought today PCI USB-card for my dual-Athlon. But that isn´t very interesting. Grab this from pile of junk: […]
Show full quote

Bought today PCI USB-card for my dual-Athlon. But that isn´t very interesting. Grab this from pile of junk:

Rocky 4786EV-RS-R40 industrial motherboard with 2.6 GHz P4. Actually there´s some caps missing and God knows whatelse but I think it´s kind of neat... What is that bus? Looks like VLB but think it isn´t.

That would be PCI. Nice find!

Reply 5794 of 53143, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My lastest buys

25s5z6a.jpg
Cheap priced VLB controller With promise / UMC chips.

birr6c.jpg
4pieces black gummy feet for my V20 NEC XT system case.

bgv41v.jpg
Full boxed Bocaram AT Plus memory board (cheap)

17zlvt.jpg
2 X Seagate Barracuda ST320011A 7200 RPM 20GB IDE harddisk drive (usable for my pentium 1 build)

2wr0wv7.jpg

9085e1.jpg

xnuiv8.jpg
Aztech double speed CDROM, CDA 268-03I, with driver disk

b47tys.jpg
Authentic coin battery holders.

Last edited by Robin4 on 2014-12-14, 23:32. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 5796 of 53143, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:
tokroger wrote:
Bought today PCI USB-card for my dual-Athlon. But that isn´t very interesting. Grab this from pile of junk: […]
Show full quote

Rocky 4786EV-RS-R40 industrial motherboard with 2.6 GHz P4. Actually there´s some caps missing and God knows whatelse but I think it´s kind of neat... What is that bus? Looks like VLB but think it isn´t.

That would be PCI. Nice find!

I dont think that is PCI.. But more a special connector type to connect on a backplane board.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 5798 of 53143, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

jwt27 is correct - that's a PCI connector to activate the PCI slots on the host backplane... don't overthink it because of it's non-standard looks 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5799 of 53143, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

Been thrift shopping again today! Found a Schneider/Amstrad GT65 green monochrome monitor (FINALLY!!!) and two serial mice.

Great picture

Thanks. Here's a high-res version to use as desktop wallpaper: http://i.imgur.com/qvenKzB.jpg
The phosphors in this screen are very fast and much more blue-ish compared to the slow, deep green IBM 5151. I think with a 45-column Fixedsys font it would look exactly like a RobCo terminal from Fallout 3 😉

RacoonRider wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

And uh, I got my sister into retro computing too now... She just bought a complete Amiga 1200 with monitor, CD drives, several floppy drives (both 5.25 and 3.5), optical mouse, scanner, joystick, and a truckload of CD's, floppy's, manuals, magazines, VHS tapes and who knows what more 😳

OMG that's impossible 😁

Yeah that's hard to believe, isn't it? 🤣
Says she bought it primarily for all the graphics programs like Deluxe Paint, and to play the original versions of Amiga games like Lemmings and Lotus.
We've been digging through the boxes and found some PC stuff too, like a 5.25 inch drive cleaner and a pack of DS/DD floppies, both brand new. Most of the written 5.25 floppies are either bootable MS-DOS 3.20, 3.21, 3.3 or 5.0 or contain various boring programs like Wordperfect and other office stuff. Found three different LPT adapters with jack plugs too which I believe are Covox speech things. Not sure why anyone would want use that with an Amiga...

The Amiga is a pretty cool machine, but really weird to get used to if you've never used one before (like us). It's also hard to imagine how TV resolutions were deemed good enough to use with computers back then. Looking at the 50Hz screen for more than a few minutes, combined with the (loud!!) 15kHz flyback whine is a great recipe for instant headache.