VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6282 of 52859, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can find pretty much any old mac software on macintosh garden,

"http://www.macos9lives.com/" might have some stuff too.

Getting 9.2.2 and tracking down other old updates and firmware is kind of annoying and feels impossible at times.

Reply 6285 of 52859, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Makes you wonder who bought those early 6x86 chips. I mean with a 40MHz bus why not just save some money and buy a 5x86 instead.

Probably bought as a stopgap CPU by someone who had already gotten all of the 6x86 bits they needed, but ran out of money when getting the CPU. That, or one died on them and they couldn't really afford to replace it.

Reply 6286 of 52859, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Makes you wonder who bought those early 6x86 chips. I mean with a 40MHz bus why not just save some money and buy a 5x86 instead.

I bought the cheapest "pentium class" processor availabe (K5 75Mhz, 50Mhz FSB tho) and instead spent much more on the best motherboard I could, I remember at a given time the prize for Pentium 100Mhz was $100 and the K5 75Mhz only $40, I remember running benchmarks and my K5 was roughly the same at integers and overall performance than the P100. After that I never ever in my life considered buying an Intel CPU.

Some time after that I wanted to "upgrade" my system with a 6x86 PR200 and found that the motherboard did not support 75Mhz FSB 🤣

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 6287 of 52859, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

Lubuntu

Nice. Is that a PPC machine?
How slow is it?[/quote]
you can't watch youtube videos at higer resolutions than 360p, due to the lack of flashplayer for PPC, so you have to watch them using html5 which is too heavy for this Mac, other than that everything works fine.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 6288 of 52859, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

Nice. Is that a PPC machine?

It's the same machine I just got, see pics on the previous page. PowerBook G4 "Titanium" 😁

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6289 of 52859, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:

you can't watch youtube videos at higer resolutions than 360p, due to the lack of flashplayer for PPC, so you have to watch them using html5 which is too heavy for this Mac, other than that everything works fine.

It's incredible if you think about it, how youtube/flash has become the definite all-round usability benchmark.

Reply 6290 of 52859, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:
vmunix wrote:

It's incredible if you think about it, how youtube/flash has become the definite all-round usability benchmark.

I was just pondering Youtube in itself is something very incredible and puzzling.
It's large community and the concept of youtube "stars". And how something that didn't exist until 10 years ago
has now become a almost necessary fixture.

Then again, it's easy to see how a huge pool of (basically) free entertainment gets a lot of attention.

Reply 6291 of 52859, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:
I was just pondering Youtube in itself is something very incredible and puzzling. It's large community and the concept of youtub […]
Show full quote
jwt27 wrote:
vmunix wrote:

I was just pondering Youtube in itself is something very incredible and puzzling.
It's large community and the concept of youtube "stars". And how something that didn't exist until 10 years ago
has now become a almost necessary fixture.

Then again, it's easy to see how a huge pool of (basically) free entertainment gets a lot of attention.

I would say that YouTube is my daily fix'o retro hardware..... 😁
These day's, I am using old 90's Computer Chronicles, when I go to sleep.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6292 of 52859, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

bought a SB AWE32 CT3900 today!

I had a SB32, always wanted the full blown AWE32 even though the difference is minimal.

This guy was listed for 77 bucks + shipping. I made him a lowball offer twice for 20 and 22 dollars or so, he refused.

Waited a week and offered him 35 and he accepted! ha!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231446794342

i know it says untested but i took the gamble, hope it works!

Reply 6293 of 52859, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sev80 wrote:
bought a SB AWE32 CT3900 today! I had a SB32, always wanted the full blown AWE32 even though the difference is minimal. This gu […]
Show full quote

I had a SB32, always wanted the full blown AWE32 even though the difference is minimal.
This guy was listed for 77 bucks + shipping. I made him a lowball offer twice for 20 and 22 dollars or so, he refused.

Watch out for the inner SIMM socket. It looks like the retention arms are broken... hence, the need for the zip-ties and padding. Good luck.

Reply 6295 of 52859, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vmunix wrote:
http://i59.tinypic.com/o7j76a.jpg […]
Show full quote

o7j76a.jpg

Lubuntu

I used mintppc on my old g3 at one time, it performed pretty well. You may be able to watch YouTube at higher resolutions using an application called minitube.

Reply 6296 of 52859, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sev80 wrote:
bought a SB AWE32 CT3900 today! […]
Show full quote

I was semi interested in this listing as well. Zip ties were a bit of a turn off obviously but I wouldn't of been using the added ram anyway. My main concern was that the card itself was working. I messaged the seller about testing the card and he got a little annoyed at the request. He stated he would test the card as had a computer with an ISA slot but then never got back to me. Worries me a little but I do hope it works for you.

Reply 6297 of 52859, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Went to the post office eager for some new retro hardware to play with just to leave disappointed because nothing arrived 😒

Anyone know that feeling? Good news is I got so many projects to work on anayway 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6298 of 52859, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Weee!

G'dang. Just... /wow/. What a score.

jwt27 wrote:

how youtube/flash has become the definite all-round usability benchmark.

The usability-hump I recall before that was GoogleEarth. That was what finally got me off W98. Before then, I guess it was just various games. And the web -- I remember I ran Lynx for some time before moving to hardware that could do a graphical browser.

And Youtube, yeah... yesterday I finally gave up trying to get it on the OLPC. Reading old posts I gather it was possible on the XO-1 in 2008, but it sure isn't now.

Last edited by pewpewpew on 2015-01-23, 14:12. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6299 of 52859, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pewpewpew wrote:

And Youtube, yeah... yesterday I finally gave up trying to get it on the OLPC. Reading old posts I gather it was possible on the XO-1 in 2008, but it sure isn't now.

If you download the vídeos and play them on a vídeo player, odds are it will work. It was funny/sad seeing youtube choke my Athlon 64, but if I downloaded the vídeo and used Media Player Classic not only it played perfectly, but also with low CPU usage. I recall also using an app that, if you copy a YouTube URL to the clipboard it would automatically stream it on VLC or MPC... my younger broher had to use the Athlon 64 for a while as his main PC and this is how I managed to get it working for him.