Topic actions

Reply 6320 of 52813, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

My Latitude CP M233ST, with its P233 MMX, is more than quick enough for office usage. The only issue is that having only 64MB of RAM in Windows 98 can cause it to chug a little bit at times. I usually use Office 2010, which does have a few useful improvements over the old versions, such as Office 2002 (on my Vaio) and Word 97 (on the Latitude) - yes, I genuinely prefer the ribbon interface; I am "that guy".

Office 2010 in 64MB of RAM?

HOW?

I haven't used Office 2010 with that system. It usually has 6GB or 12GB of RAM to play with, so memory issues aren't something I ever think about with my main two systems.

Reply 6321 of 52813, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
Got an unhappy couple today. M3D-II and CT6670 First the SLI socket are not aligned on the two cards. Second SLI won't work in Q […]
Show full quote

Got an unhappy couple today.
M3D-II and CT6670
First the SLI socket are not aligned on the two cards.
Second SLI won't work in Q3A. Original 3dfx driver says SLI detected but blacks out when Q3A is launched. Tried FastVoodoo2 4.0XP but no luck. Individual card works flawlessly.
These two cards were quite popular back then. Were they meant not to be together? Or should I try some other drivers? The OS is XP SP3. Thanks.

v2sli.jpg

the creative card works in sli with my trust voodoo dragon 2 and my guilemot cards but the diamond card doesn't work with any other voodoo2 i have (the card works fine in single setup).

Mismatched drivers didn't work as well so i guess if you want to run sli with a diamond the only option is pairing it with another diamond.

Best experience is always 2 identical cards ofcourse but different brands can work together.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6322 of 52813, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:
Arctic wrote:
The Voodoo 2 cards you are using are from different manufacturers. The top one is a Creative 3D Blaster and the bottom one is a […]
Show full quote

The Voodoo 2 cards you are using are from different manufacturers.
The top one is a Creative 3D Blaster and the bottom one is a Diamond Monster 3D 2.
You will need a "mis-matched SLI voodoo 2 driver"
http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/news/3dfx/voodoo2_ … ched_beta_0.22/

I have never tried mismatched Voodoo 2 cards on XP, only on 9x.
Also because there are more choices in drivers.

+1, however I've heard that the Diamond + Creative combo is apparently problematic even with modified drivers. "Back in the day" you would not be doing a pairing like this - you would have either two Creative cards or two Diamond cards, and that was the requirement. The mis-match drivers are a hack.

It's kind of moot when he says that the SLi connectors on the two cards do not align so getting the short SLi cable to work is going to be impossible unless he builds a longer one that can be distorted without coming up short.

Reply 6323 of 52813, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder what's involved in making two V2 cards "appear" identical?

Where is the identifier stored that makes a Creative card different to a Diamond card?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6324 of 52813, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Where is the identifier stored that makes a Creative card different to a Diamond card?

PCI SUBSYS and REV values.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 6325 of 52813, by xenu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got these last week:

Alliance AT3D, is it the worst consumer 3D card ever?
at3d.jpg

Two Tridents 9750, worthy competitors of AT3D, one with tv-out, one without
trident.jpg

Probably everyone here know what kind of card it is
gravis.jpg

SiS 6326
sis.jpg

Some kind of cheap no-name soundcard with OPL chip (it's dusty!):
yamaha.jpg

Reply 6326 of 52813, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice, everybody should own a Gravis Ultrasound card of some kind to be able to run old DOS demos 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6327 of 52813, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow GUS rev 2.2? That's a rather early GUS revision. The other dusty cheap card you mention is an OPL3SAx card. It has Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro 2 compatibility, Windows Sound System, MPU-401 UART, Yamaha YMF289(OPL3) full duplex all in a single chipset. It can do 44KHz Stereo in Sound Blaster Pro mode, something that a true Sound Blaster Pro 2 cannot. Try the card with a .MOD player like INERTIA and you'll see what i mean.

Reply 6328 of 52813, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

Wow GUS rev 2.2? That's a rather early GUS revision

Was thinking the same.. Earliest I have is a 2.4. Nice!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 6329 of 52813, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

I wonder what's involved in making two V2 cards "appear" identical?

Also, I used to have a Diamond Monster 3D 2,
that had some handmande wire rework underneath the "CK" (Chuck) chip.
Single use and SLI with another Diamond card worked just fine.
Too bad I sold it. What an odd card 😁

Reply 6330 of 52813, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xenu wrote:
Got these last week: […]
Show full quote

Got these last week:

Alliance AT3D, is it the worst consumer 3D card ever?

Two Tridents 9750, worthy competitors of AT3D, one with tv-out, one without

SiS 6326

3 of the worst 3D cards I know, I would add the the list S3 Virge DX 3D "decelerator" made the games slower with direct 3D enabled.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 6331 of 52813, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xenu wrote:
Probably everyone here know what kind of card it is http://personal.xenu.pl/photos/cards/gravis.jpg […]
Show full quote

Probably everyone here know what kind of card it is
gravis.jpg

Hey, I've got the same rev. 2.2 GUS!
It even has the same makeshift job at C13/C14/C15 (just right of the "UltraSound" writing) where they put a resistor in series with the capacitor by just twirling the leads together and putting a blob of solder on it. Other spots on my card look a little rough as well, so I think these were at least partly put together manually. 😉

Reply 6332 of 52813, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote:

3 of the worst 3D cards I know, I would add the the list S3 Virge DX 3D "decelerator" made the games slower with direct 3D enabled.

The ATI Rage Mobility M1 graphics chip does that in some games with my Sony Vaio laptop, and its 1.1 GHz Duron... that's more a case of the GPU being well past its sell-by date when compared to the CPU though.

Reply 6333 of 52813, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xenu wrote:

Some kind of cheap no-name soundcard with OPL chip (it's dusty!):

Looks like that might be tall enough to mount a MIDI daughterboard without a cable, in which case it's a great find.

Reply 6334 of 52813, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Looks like that might be tall enough to mount a MIDI daughterboard without a cable, in which case it's a great find.

Oh wow i didn't even noticed that. This is actually a rarity among OPL3SAx cards!

Reply 6335 of 52813, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:
bjt wrote:

Oh wow i didn't even noticed that. This is actually a rarity among OPL3SAx cards!

yup! I bought one for that and backfired, none of my 3 daughter boards fited so it's collecting dust somewhere.

What I think it's even more rare is one of those ISA yamaha boards WITH the Wave table chip + ROM installed, never seen one.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 6337 of 52813, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I've got the same Yamaha card, and I believe that a full sized DB does actually fit.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium