VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6360 of 52766, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went on an unexpected Sega console buying spree recently, and here’s the result. This boxed Master System wasn’t cheap but I’ve been looking for one in good condition for a while, and they’re not easy to come by (with the box). The one I had as a kid came with the game ‘Hang On’ on a card, and ‘Snail Maze’ built in. This one has both games built in - close enough:

DSCN1283_zpsubrd2xg4.jpg

DSCN1285_zpsjxspbewv.jpg

DSCN1298_zpsr5xtu6xy.jpg

And what started out as a mission to buy a NOS Mega Drive controller turned into a purchase of a complete NOS Mega Drive 2. It was relatively cheap (from Thailand) and I like ‘em boxed. This will replace my existing Mega Drive model 1, which is the ‘high definition graphics’ model. I compared the 2 and my humble eyes can’t see any difference b/w the old and new models, and I run these things via A/V to the TV so sound quality isn’t a concern - the crappy mono speaker isn’t rocking anyone’s world anyway. I like that I don’t have to mod the case on the model 2 to accommodate Asian carts:

DSCN1277_zps4w73keau.jpg

DSCN1280_zpsqd5cx0ju.jpg

DSCN1270_zpshsktpsqw.jpg

DSCN1273_zpsz8imtcz3.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6361 of 52766, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aww that's cheating! You can't just go out and shell out big dough for perfect systems over the internet. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6362 of 52766, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

I went on an unexpected Sega console buying spree recently, and here’s the result. This boxed Master System wasn’t cheap but I’ve been looking for one in good condition for a while, and they’re not easy to come by (with the box). The one I had as a kid came with the game ‘Hang On’ on a card, and ‘Snail Maze’ built in. This one has both games built in - close enough

And what started out as a mission to buy a NOS Mega Drive controller turned into a purchase of a complete NOS Mega Drive 2. It was relatively cheap (from Thailand) and I like ‘em boxed. This will replace my existing Mega Drive model 1, which is the ‘high definition graphics’ model. I compared the 2 and my humble eyes can’t see any difference b/w the old and new models, and I run these things via A/V to the TV so sound quality isn’t a concern - the crappy mono speaker isn’t rocking anyone’s world anyway. I like that I don’t have to mod the case on the model 2 to accommodate

Awesome pick ups...so nice to have them look so new...even if they weren't cheap...it's totally worth it...These console systems in the original box are not getting less popular and they will only go up in price IMHO.

Have you thought of hooking up the segas with svideo over composite at least? Does that sony crt you have there have svideo input? I'm hoping to connect all my consoles via true rgb and svideo once I get all the proper cables. Totally worth the effort IMHO. Svideo cables for those segas are cheap on ebay btw.

Reply 6363 of 52766, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that boxed sms1 is a great find!

if you don't go the RGB/CRT route then perhaps the RGB/framemeister is an alternative.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6364 of 52766, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

picked up a lot of voodoo1, voodoo2 and voodoo3!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-3Dfx-Voodoo-vi … cvip=true&rt=nc

Also that AWE32 I got last week that was zip tied came in today, seems to be working fine!!

Reply 6365 of 52766, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No the Sony only has composite in or tuner, pretty standard for AU TV's. I grew up using the tuner so composite is almost too posh for my uneducated eyeballs!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6366 of 52766, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a Pentium 4 550 for $4, should be a nice upgrade from the 524. Paired with a pci Geforce 6200 and 2gb ddr2-400 this is proving to be an OK xp machine.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6367 of 52766, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

Aww that's cheating! You can't just go out and shell out big dough for perfect systems over the internet. 😜

Yeah, you have to find them for $5 or free in thrift stores, yard sales, or Craigslist. 🤣

Reply 6368 of 52766, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I originally wanted an SC-88 Pro but instead won an SC-8850 for about 245. A few scratches/marks here and there- Is that a reasonable price to pay?

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 6369 of 52766, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

I originally wanted an SC-88 Pro but instead won an SC-8850 for about 245. A few scratches/marks here and there- Is that a reasonable price to pay?

These days, 245 (I am guessing dollars) is not too bad of a price, but like always, if you hold out longer you could get a better deal, but IMO, an SC-88 Pro is difficult to get for under $200 (including shipping most of the time), so all in all I think you did ok, especially if it's something that you've wanted for a while.

Reply 6370 of 52766, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

These days, 245 (I am guessing dollars) is not too bad of a price, but like always, if you hold out longer you could get a better deal, but IMO, an SC-88 Pro is difficult to get for under $200 (including shipping most of the time), so all in all I think you did ok, especially if it's something that you've wanted for a while.

My bad, perhaps my post sounded confusing. I actually meant I won an SC-8850 for that price, not the SC-88 Pro. I had a certain idea that the latter used to be around the 200 mark shipped, but since I'm not really sure about what prices the 8850 usually sells for I thought it would be better to ask you all.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 6371 of 52766, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMHO 245$ for the flagship sc module is a very good price. AFAIR there is a way to update it so it supports XG as well

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6372 of 52766, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

My bad, perhaps my post sounded confusing. I actually meant I won an SC-8850 for that price, not the SC-88 Pro. I had a certain idea that the latter used to be around the 200 mark shipped, but since I'm not really sure about what prices the 8850 usually sells for I thought it would be better to ask you all.

No worries...your post wasn't confusing...I know that you meant the SC-8850. I just mentioned the SC-88 Pro because you said that was what you originally wanted, so it was probably my post that was confusing 😀 .

Either way, IMO, these days, either an SC-88 Pro or a SC-8850 is worth that amount.

keropi wrote:

IMHO 245$ for the flagship sc module is a very good price. AFAIR there is a way to update it so it supports XG as well

Very cool!...didn't know that. It's nice to have the XG supported as well. It sounds like the SC-8850 is a nice all around unit.

Reply 6373 of 52766, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofanatic wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

You theoretically COULD get a better deal but you may also end up waiting forever in vain. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay up to get what you want or you may not get it at all.

Reply 6374 of 52766, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks everyone for replying. It seems willing to save up a few dollars on gear that usually sells so quickly nowadays isn't always worth it even though I'm used to waiting and grab things for cheap but it does not look like Roland hardware is as 'easy' as other hardware 😀

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 6375 of 52766, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to update my minecraft server, using a ramdisk with a modded server makes WORLDS of difference, so I bought 32gb of ram. while doing so, I found these little gems:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151111232248
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261729015290

While not quite what i would call "retro", they defiantly are obsolete. Also they were CHEAP. I'm hoping I can use the pci-x one in my router build, as it does lots of little reads and writes to disk. The pci-E one, I want to put into my main system to use as a scratch disk ala readyboost, or put my browser cache on it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6376 of 52766, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I'm hoping I can use the pci-x one in my router build, as it does lots of little reads and writes to disk. The pci-E one, I want to put into my main system to use as a scratch disk ala readyboost, or put my browser cache on it.

How do you use these - do they need drivers ?

Reply 6377 of 52766, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I'm hoping I can use the pci-x one in my router build, as it does lots of little reads and writes to disk. The pci-E one, I want to put into my main system to use as a scratch disk ala readyboost, or put my browser cache on it.

How do you use these - do they need drivers ?

Honestly, i have no idea yet. From what ive seen, they seem to intercept data from tve hard drive and cache it. I would image a driver is required. Until they get here i wont know.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6378 of 52766, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Honestly, i have no idea yet. From what ive seen, they seem to intercept data from tve hard drive and cache it. I would image a driver is required. Until they get here i wont know.

Make a thread about it when you get em in please? I'm very curious about em.

Although from what I've found googling, the pci-e one is just 1GB in size and the PCI one just 512MB, so may not be very useful for much of anything. Maybe a DOS machine of some kind.

Reply 6379 of 52766, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Make a thread about it when you get em in please? I'm very curious about em.

Although from what I've found googling, the pci-e one is just 1GB in size and the PCI one just 512MB, so may not be very useful for much of anything. Maybe a DOS machine of some kind.

I dunno, even with those sizes they should give at least a half-decent speed increase.