VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6800 of 52819, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PayPal offers the same resolution center service unless you sent the payment as a gift.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 6802 of 52819, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Arctic wrote:

Great. Well I opened up a case so let's see how that goes.

Best of all luck from here. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6803 of 52819, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Arctic wrote:

Best of all luck from here. 😀

He doesn't need any. It's 100% that he'll get his money back.

Reply 6805 of 52819, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hope you get that sorted - that's a major, major bummer. Does the system actually run at all? I just received a junk Dell Inspiron 8100, and another Vaio PCG-FX601.

The Inspiron 8100 did initially power off of a battery, but then stopped doing so altogether after that battery flattened itself, even using other batteries. It wouldn't power from the AC, nor would it charge a battery. However, I've pinched the palmrest, keyboard and screen from it for my Inspiron 8000, so it was worth the price I paid for it (I'd have pinched the GPU if it was the ATI Radeon Mobility chip; sadly, it wasn't. No idea about the CPU; when it did power on, the keyboard wasn't connected) I wasn't amused to find it protected by mere newspaper though!

The Vaio PCG-Fx601 is an odd one. As far as I can tell, it works perfectly... apart from the fact that there's a loose connection somewhere in the screen, which causes the backlight to conk out if the screen is nudged. It's not a bad backlight, because the screen will stay on for many minutes if the system isn't knocked, and I did improve it a fair bit by reseating every cable in the screen (including those behind the bezel), but it still hasn't sorted it. A little miffed that the seller didn't mention its lack of a HDD caddy/cable, but it was 99p before P&P, so... The screen, when not glitching out, is actually in very decent shape; the system seems to run fine off of a bootable Linux CD, with a functional trackpad, good speakers and a good DVD drive. It's certainly not overheating either. Battery also charges and holds a charge, but yet to evaluate just how good it is. Not yet sure if I'll keep it as spares for my main Vaio or fix it up and sell it on.

Reply 6806 of 52819, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:

You need to open your case directly through ebay, -NOT- just paypal, it won't go to the same departments. And you can file directly as "Item not as described" and you are fully covered under the buyer protection program, if you bought it on USA EBAY.

Reply 6807 of 52819, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Godlike wrote:
Anyone know which one is newer/better and why? Any difference between them two? Both of them are 10Mbps, any difference then? h […]
Show full quote

Anyone know which one is newer/better and why?
Any difference between them two? Both of them are 10Mbps, any difference then?
qUteCem.jpg?1
cgpnbyo.jpg?1

The 3C905 is better if you want to use RJ45, otherwise use the 3C905B. Just so you know, you can't use full duplex over coax.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6808 of 52819, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really "today", but this past weekend I found this glorious thing at a Goodwill store in Omaha.

IMG_20150228_132400412.jpg
Filename
File size
957.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

You bet your sweet patootie I bought it! I have not yet had an opportunity to really try it out though, primarily because I currently do not have any bootable 5.25 floppies.

Reply 6809 of 52819, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Arctic wrote:

You need to open your case directly through ebay, -NOT- just paypal, it won't go to the same departments. And you can file directly as "Item not as described" and you are fully covered under the buyer protection program, if you bought it on USA EBAY.

Only problem is AFAIK you will need to pay return shipping to send the item back to get the refund. I've had a few misdescribed and broken items received but to return it would have wiped out all or most of the refund. Only time it worked in my favour was when a seller voluntarily refunded and let me keep the disintegrated laptop (which still ran). Hope it works out for you though Arctic, it's a horrible feeling when you hear the rattle of plastic containing what should be a new treasure 😢

Reply 6810 of 52819, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:

Only problem is AFAIK you will need to pay return shipping to send the item back to get the refund. I've had a few misdescribed and broken items received but to return it would have wiped out all or most of the refund. Only time it worked in my favour was when a seller voluntarily refunded and let me keep the disintegrated laptop (which still ran). Hope it works out for you though Arctic, it's a horrible feeling when you hear the rattle of plastic containing what should be a new treasure 😢

Sadly yes, you do have to pay return shipping.. but if you paid shipping when you first bought it, they credit you the original shipping charge.

Reply 6811 of 52819, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

I finally have found another Artist P200 😢
Now that I received it, I wish I hadn't... I even wrote the seller a heads up to ship it well...

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/lKoA … tU91XR/$_57.JPG

Damn. Why can't people learn to pack things better when shipping them?

Reply 6812 of 52819, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
torindkflt wrote:

Not really "today", but this past weekend I found this glorious thing at a Goodwill store in Omaha.

You bet your sweet patootie I bought it! I have not yet had an opportunity to really try it out though, primarily because I currently do not have any bootable 5.25 floppies.

HOLY COW!!! THAT IS SO COOL! MAN I wish my goodwill would sell computers! 😠

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6813 of 52819, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

HOLY COW!!! THAT IS SO COOL! MAN I wish my goodwill would sell computers! 😠

The Goodwill stores where I live (Eastern Iowa) are awful for stuff like this as well, VCRs and clock radios at best typically. Goodwill in Omaha has a store specifically for computers and electronics that I periodically visit when in town visiting family. This is actually my third vintage computer find at that store! (First two were an Amstrad PPC640 and a Vtech Laser 128).

Reply 6814 of 52819, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, well, where I am we don't even have anything like Goodwill. The best hope is that you find some Gypsy at the Sunday market who is trying to sell some old hardware along with the pirate software and movies.* It's good when you do because you know you're also helping out an average Joe like yourself instead of a company... Though Goodwill it seems is a non-profit organization so you probably are with that too.

It is also illegal to take rubbish away from the city dump, not that that's ever stopped me and I haven't been in a while, might have to go shopping there when the sun comes up in a few hours.

*As someone descended from travelers, I'd be a hypocrite if I disapproved of such things, so I'm not... Actually, maybe I should get a market stall myself and make a few bucks.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6815 of 52819, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Arctic wrote:

Not really, you just don't know how to do it right.

Reply 6816 of 52819, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
JidaiGeki wrote:

Not really, you just don't know how to do it right.

Any tips?

Reply 6817 of 52819, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
torindkflt wrote:

(...)

Wait... was that a PowerMac G4 Cube next to it?

@_@

Your thrift store owns.

Anyhow, these aren't retro in-and-of-themselves, but they are for my retro PC setup:

X5M0Phxh.jpg
BO947K0h.jpg
Hq0bocjh.jpg

They sound fantastic. Super clear and crisp, but still sufficiently meaty bass. This is the amp I use:

M6qnAS7h.jpg

(Forgive the purple tint, it's my phone's camera, and it's stuffed.)

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6818 of 52819, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What manufacturer is that stereo amp? It's rather neat looking. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6819 of 52819, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

The 3C905 is better if you want to use RJ45, otherwise use the 3C905B. Just so you know, you can't use full duplex over coax.

Full duplex and coax, can you write some more about it?
i think I will use this one:
TjigUwL.jpg?1
RJ45 will be more useful nowadays.
Do you know for what operations will be useful to use aditional ROM?

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300