VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 7020 of 52977, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran some benchmarks on the laptop, they're on Phil's Ultimate VGA database. Going on what I can see from the system unit block diagram in the maintenance manual (which curiously never mentions the chipset outright - curious because it is very detailed otherwise, even to giving various pinouts), I think it has a random, proprietary Toshiba T6W23A chipset, which I can't really find any information on whatsoever, other than a magazine article that had a Satellite Pro 420CDS using said chipset in a comparison test. I do know that the chipset has no issues handling 6GB drives, although the drive isn't formatted as such (has two smaller partitions) - I installed it in another system, because I don't have a floppy drive for this system, and neither Windows 95 nor the laptop will boot from a CD. I was *very* lucky that mine came with the 32MB RAM card installed when I bought it, because those can be a bitch to find (proprietary to the model, or at least, the model line). As for 1MB v 2MB VRAM, I'm sure that there was at least one game I have that wanted a 2MB SVGA card to go with something like a P90 or P100, but I honestly don't remember what it was, and I may be misremembering.

Also, good luck doing LAN gaming - mine has no ethernet port 😜 The laptop has a microphone though, which is better than many modern ones - even though it was a bargain-basement laptop when new!

Reply 7021 of 52977, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't it have PCMCIA slots? Mine also didn't have an ethernet card, but I bought a PC Card one and it works great. Even without ethernet it's still possible to do some null-modem gaming in most of the late-DOS games. Not sure about Windows95, since I never tried that, but I did play a lot of Hexen back in the day with a simple serial cable 😀 Ethernet cards were stupidly expensive back then, so no one apart from businesses had them.

Reply 7022 of 52977, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:

Doesn't it have PCMCIA slots? Mine also didn't have an ethernet card, but I bought a PC Card one and it works great. Even without ethernet it's still possible to do some null-modem gaming in most of the late-DOS games. Not sure about Windows95, since I never tried that, but I did play a lot of Hexen back in the day with a simple serial cable 😀 Ethernet cards were stupidly expensive back then, so no one apart from businesses had them.

It does, yes, but they're keyed for 5 volt adapters only (which is annoying, because I can't find any obvious 5V PCMCIA to USB 1.1 or similar cards anywhere), and since I'm not likely to use it on the internet, I don't see much point in hunting down an ethernet card. I have ordered a null-modem cable though for file transfers, which also means I can actually check the serial port functionality of systems (in theory).

EDIT: Does yours have L2 cache? I don't believe mine does, so that could make a difference.

Reply 7023 of 52977, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lukeno94 wrote:

I think it has a random, proprietary Toshiba T6W23A chipset, which I can't really find any information on whatsoever, other than a magazine article that had a Satellite Pro 420CDS using said chipset in a comparison test.

The Toshiba T4900CT maintenance manual describes the Toshiba T6W23 (not the T6W23A) as so:
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshi … ce%20Manual.pdf

Super Integration (SI) T6W23, which stores the following components: • Two Direct Memory Access Controllers (DMAC): 82C37 • Two […]
Show full quote

Super Integration (SI) T6W23, which stores the following components:
• Two Direct Memory Access Controllers (DMAC): 82C37
• Two Programmable Interrupt Controllers (PIC): 82C59
• One Programmable Interval Timer (PIT): 82C54
• One Floppy Disk Controller (FDC): TC8565
• One Serial Input/Output Controller (SIO): 16550
• One Variable Frequency Oscillator (VFO): TC8568
• One I/O Controller
• One Printer Port Controller
• One Speaker Controller

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7024 of 52977, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just finished cleaning and seting up my latest find, an almost new Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro, it came with the drivers CD and I just tried it with Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance. It worked great! 😀

I was never a flight simulator kind of guy but I'm ejoying this one, any recomendations on games I should try?

sZPqwhwl.jpg

Reply 7025 of 52977, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stiletto, that's about as much info as the 200CDT's manual has on the T6W23A. No real indication of specs or anything like that. Based on guesswork, I think the main difference is that the T6W23A was used with split voltage CPUs, whilst the T6W23 may not have been, and possibly support for 66 MHz FSBs, whilst the T6W23 there has a 50 MHz FSB. Intriguing that Toshiba didn't even mention what the graphics chip in the T4900CT was in the service manual; a look at the spec sheet elsewhere on their site shows that it is a 1MB C&T 65545, which I would presume is basically the same chip as the 65550, but with half the VRAM.

Reply 7026 of 52977, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
joe6pack wrote:
It performs nearly (very, very) identical to a 6600GT and slightly worse than a 7600GS. A 6600GT is originally what I was after, […]
Show full quote
obobskivich wrote:

joe6pack: how does that 7300 perform? I've been curious about the "lesser" GeForce 7 cards for AGP, but usually the ones I find are GS or LE or whatnot, not GTs.

It performs nearly (very, very) identical to a 6600GT and slightly worse than a 7600GS. A 6600GT is originally what I was after, so I came about as close as possible but with the added bonus of 512MB of ram.

The chart here has some numbers on the GT/GS/LE/SE difference:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce_7300.html

There's no way a 7300GT comes close to a 6600GT. GeForce 7 was not a ground breaking GPU like GeForce 8 was. It was only a refinement of GeForce 6. 7300GT would have been an improvement on the 6200, but not the 6600. 7300GT has two more vertex shaders but is clocked about 40% lower and uses DDR2 memory while 6600GT uses GDDR3 and has about 40% more memory bandwith. The 6600GT far outstrips it in everything but vertex shader performance and even there it's not that far off. Overall 6600GT is still the better card.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=454&card2=190

Reply 7027 of 52977, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sliderider; there were plenty of 7300 GTs that used GDDR3 RAM as well, but I am also dubious about how the 7300 GT compares to a 6600 GT. I'd imagine that it is some way ahead of the 6200 though - and the specs imply that it was better than a vanilla 6600, which may be the source of some of the confusion. I'd be intrigued to see how a 7300 GT compares to a 6800 LE or XT; it has a lot lower memory bandwith (at least, it does in DDR2 form), but otherwise seems pretty comparable specs-wise.

Reply 7028 of 52977, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
b_rros wrote:

I was never a flight simulator kind of guy but I'm ejoying this one, any recomendations on games I should try?

Re: flight sim recommendation

List seems to be missing the first MS Combat Flight Simulator (1998). It's a great period sim. Also Crimson Skies, which was a more arcade-style game based on the same tech.

Reply 7029 of 52977, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some stuff acquired over the last weeks:

Brand new Am486 DX4 mousepad. This will go very well in my retro KVM setup 😁:
2015-03-17%2019.01.21.jpg

Creative Video Blaster CT6000
2015-03-17%2019.28.49.jpg

Soundblaster 16 CT1770 (Had this card before, but it died on me)
2015-03-17%2019.29.00.jpg

Canopus Spectra F11 (Geforce 2MX 400) - BOXED
2015-03-17%2019.29.14.jpg

Canopus Spectra 3200 (TNT1 16MB AGP /W SGRAM) - BOXED. YES, this card DOES support Witchdoctor with Canopus Pure3D II cards 😀
2015-03-17%2019.29.57.jpg

Sphere 3D joystick (NIB). This will be great to test out in Descent!
2015-03-17%2019.29.38.jpg

Neon250 PCI! Thanks to Gona for letting me do a trade 😀
2015-03-17%2019.33.26.jpg

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7030 of 52977, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow... nice pick-up. I've been watching out for a Spectra 2500/3200 to go with my Pure 3D II's for a while now. If you ever don't want it, anymore... hook a brotha up.

Reply 7034 of 52977, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
devius wrote:

Intel must have sold a boatload of 486 DX2-66.

Yes... One of the most succesfull 486's ever. At least in Denmark.
Most people here, skipped cpu's from DX2-80 up to Pentium-133.
(those two cpu's included)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7035 of 52977, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably because of several factors;
> It was 5 Volts, so it did not require a voltage regulator.
> It used a 33MHz BUS which was stable, many devices didn't work well at 40-50MHz and 20-25MHz was rubbish.
> It offered a huge performance gain over an older 33MHz processor and was priced more reasonably than other speeds.

That is a nice looking VLB board, AMI BIOS as well. Don't delay on getting that battery off of it, remove it as soon as possible.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7036 of 52977, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice pick-ups Vetz! Love that mouse pad.

vetz wrote:

I bought one of those too, from the same seller I'm guessing. It worked really well but I must admit that it was too revolutionary for me, I'm too old for learning new tricks.

I suggest giving the driver CD a miss and using the ISO linked to in the last post of this thread:

Seeking Space Orb 360 drivers/software

It's a later version with better game support.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7037 of 52977, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
Nice pick-ups Vetz! Love that mouse pad. […]
Show full quote

Nice pick-ups Vetz! Love that mouse pad.

vetz wrote:

I bought one of those too, from the same seller I'm guessing. It worked really well but I must admit that it was too revolutionary for me, I'm too old for learning new tricks.

I suggest giving the driver CD a miss and using the ISO linked to in the last post of this thread:

Seeking Space Orb 360 drivers/software

It's a later version with better game support.

I put the driver on VogonsDrivers just now. HTH.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 7038 of 52977, by popper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HighTreason wrote:
Probably because of several factors; > It was 5 Volts, so it did not require a voltage regulator. > It used a 33MHz BUS which w […]
Show full quote

Probably because of several factors;
> It was 5 Volts, so it did not require a voltage regulator.
> It used a 33MHz BUS which was stable, many devices didn't work well at 40-50MHz and 20-25MHz was rubbish.
> It offered a huge performance gain over an older 33MHz processor and was priced more reasonably than other speeds.

That is a nice looking VLB board, AMI BIOS as well. Don't delay on getting that battery off of it, remove it as soon as possible.

Right; i removed it after finishing the photos....
I too like AMI BIOSes (and Phoenix) better than AWARD ones. When i have done some fixes on the board (the battery, as i wrote and you can see, caused some corrosion) i will play around with it and see what it is capable of.

errare humanum est