Reply 8080 of 52819, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dogchainx wrote:
Stojke wrote:

Do you even use 80% of them?

I only have three that I use, and they aren't pictured (they're in my office hooked up).

Better stored than goldscrappers. Did you take out the batteries if possible?

1982 to 2001

Reply 8081 of 52819, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
dogchainx wrote:
Stojke wrote:

Do you even use 80% of them?

I only have three that I use, and they aren't pictured (they're in my office hooked up).

Better stored than goldscrappers. Did you take out the batteries if possible?

Batteries taken out/removed from all of the motherboards. 2-3 packs of silica gel packs thrown in each case.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 8082 of 52819, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is true, but sitting there doing nothing is almost the same.
People like to do a lot of things but lack resources, maybe you could make somebody happy by donating a few.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 8084 of 52819, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

That is true, but sitting there doing nothing is almost the same.
People like to do a lot of things but lack resources, maybe you could make somebody happy by donating a few.

Donate to whom? The scrappers? Maybe my local kindergarten school will want one, because, ya'know, they know how to run DOS and Windows 3.1? Whats the difference between this and people's software collection? 😒 😎

I did make a few people happy by buying them. They're now in the hands of someone who can share them with the rest of the vintage community (me). It made me happy to get them from someone who will just scrap them for the gold, and I bought them from a thrift store (Deseret Industries), who employees a lot of people.

And they're laying there now, not used...however, I do work on a few of them here and there. My goal on a lot of these systems is to restore them and sell them off (not $400-ebay shit prices.....like $100-150 price...reasonable).

Instead of being critical of it, you should be thanking me. Who knows, I might have THE EXACT CASE you have been looking for for the past decade. 😎

Reply 8085 of 52819, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:
dogchainx wrote:

All of these were between $5 and $15 each at my local thrift store.

Ah, DI finds...? 😉

Oh yes....of course. Who else sells these things with arbitrarily-decided low pricing like that? 😎

Reply 8086 of 52819, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't let it consume you 😀

One day we will move onto brand new retro motherboards recreated with old stock chips or FPGA which will be much more flexible and satisfy wide masses. I guess even with hoarding its all about enjoying it while it lasts.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 8087 of 52819, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Love this forum. 😀

I usually don't buy stuff that often. My local recycling area provides me with plenty of nice old (and new...) stuff. I consider myself more of a curator of nice things that otherwise would have gone to waste, rather than the one buying stuff others might be wanting to buy. But when I saw this little puppy:

1.jpg

I couldn't help myself. A fair price and it being available locally sealed the deal for me, I was the only bidder and today I lugged it home. What's inside then?

2.jpg

A Tyan Tomcat IV dual socket 7 motherboard, twin P200 MMX, and a smooth 128 MB RAM. I just noticed that it seems to have the dreaded Dallas RTC, not too happy about that, but whatevs. All for the price of ~15 EUR, a local transport fare and some muscle labor.

Neat. 😀

Oh, and when I got to the seller, he also happened to have a room full of cool stuff that he wanted to get rid of. Among other things, I saw a full height 5.25 SCSI HDD, a bunch of old Matrox cards, some fancy looking S3 card with a mezzanine memory upgrade, some 3dfx etc.
The hoarder inside me started twitching, but I held him back. 🙁 😀 <-- That right there is a mixed emotion smiley...
But yeah not entirely though, I did get this:

3.jpg

two Matrox cards (~5 EUR) that I have yet to identify properly. The PPro with bent pins was for free. 😀
The seller seemed like a real nice guy, appreciating that there were people like us out there and taking the time and trouble to put it up for auction for peanuts instead of taking it to the dump. Kudos.

He now has this up for auction, which might be one of the coolest things ever: the PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 200, supposedly the meanest PSU for the PC/XT and first product from the legendary manufacturer. Too bad I don't have a case to put it in.

Cheers! *scuffles back in to lurking*

Reply 8088 of 52819, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

Don't let it consume you 😀

One day we will move onto brand new retro motherboards recreated with old stock chips or FPGA which will be much more flexible and satisfy wide masses. I guess even with hoarding its all about enjoying it while it lasts.

Oh yes. My plan is to slowly sell of each system as I restore them. Not ebay-shit prices either ($500? pffft). I'm talking about $75-$100 each or so, depending upon hardware,etc.

Also to have some in reserve just in case someone needs a particular piece of hardware or case style, or one of my systems blows up.

I can't wait when we can 3D print our own motherboards...would be nice to keep retro alive with a simply 30-minute print job and a few components soldered. 😎

Reply 8089 of 52819, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stoof wrote:

A Tyan Tomcat IV dual socket 7 motherboard, twin P200 MMX, and a smooth 128 MB RAM. I just noticed that it seems to have the dreaded Dallas RTC, not too happy about that, but whatevs. All for the price of ~15 EUR, a local transport fare and some muscle labor.

That's a beauty! Does it work?

1982 to 2001

Reply 8090 of 52819, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I purchased a bunch of K6-2s!

The most interesting to me is the K6-2 300MHz. Why? I really want to see how a Pentium MMX vs K6-2 goes in FPU performance (Quake 2, Quake 3 etc).

Also I want to test 66 vs 100MHz FSB

Attachments

• IMG_2976.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2976.JPG
    File size
    550.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 8091 of 52819, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mwdmeyer wrote:

I purchased a bunch of K6-2s!

The most interesting to me is the K6-2 300MHz. Why? I really want to see how a Pentium MMX vs K6-2 goes in FPU performance (Quake 2, Quake 3 etc).

Also I want to test 66 vs 100MHz FSB

The MMX is quite a bit slower then the K6 at the same frequency, and about 10-12% slower at the same FSB / frequency (~30fps for the P1 and 33.5 for the K6). I tested this myself a couple of months ago on a VIA MVP3 board + riva TNT2. K6-2 450 underclocked to 200MHz (set multi to 2.5x, FSB 100) and a pentium 166MMX overclocked to 200 (2x100MHz) and slightly overvolted. The P MMX does keep up with the K6 nicely, but the K6's FPU is faster - substantially faster when making use of 3D now.

The K6-2 maintains it's lead at 66Mhz FSB as well. Tested on the same board, pentium MMX 233MHz vs K6-2 450 underclocked to 233MHZ (3.5 x 66). The gap is even bigger at 233Mhz - 12-14% in favor of the K6.

I used Quake 2 Timedemo 1 for testing. I'll open a thread and post pictures if anyone is interested.

Reply 8092 of 52819, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd be interested in seeing that.

I'm pretty sure the MMX will be faster clock for clock than a K6 or K6-2, at least for 3D games. I think integer performance is supposed to be faster on K6 CPUs, but FPU performance leaves a lot to be desired. Remember, the K6 has a weaker FPU than a K5 even!

Of course, Quake 2 with 3Dnow! will be much faster!

Reply 8093 of 52819, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

I'll open a thread and post pictures if anyone is interested.

Yes please! I haven't tested myself but I still believe that a Pentium MMX is faster than a K6-2 at pure FPU clock for clock without 3dnow. Were there any FPU improvements in the K6 vs the K6-2?

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 8094 of 52819, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool 😁 - time to whip out my K6 rig and do some tests 😁 I'll post results in a new thread entitled "Pentium MMX vs K6-2 FPU performance Benchmarks". Can you guys recommend any other software to use for these tests? I was thinking I'd also try 3D Mark 99 alongside Quake 2. Would the Voodoo Banshee AGP be enough for CPUs running at 200/233Mhz or should I use a Voodoo 3? Maybe a TNT2?

Reply 8095 of 52819, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

Cool 😁 - time to whip out my K6 rig and do some tests 😁 I'll post results in a new thread entitled "Pentium MMX vs K6-2 FPU performance Benchmarks". Can you guys recommend any other software to use for these tests? I was thinking I'd also try 3D Mark 99 alongside Quake 2. Would the Voodoo Banshee AGP be enough for CPUs running at 200/233Mhz or should I use a Voodoo 3? Maybe a TNT2?

Half-life is quite FPU heavy so I would suggest using that.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 8096 of 52819, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
stoof wrote:

That's a beauty! Does it work?

Oh yes, as advertised, although the HDD is making funny noises...
Otherwise it's very quiet, but I don't know if I want to run the processors fanless for long.

Reply 8098 of 52819, by 8086-ProGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My retro hardware for this week:

AMD 486DX2-66MHz
20150625_120825_zpsryfltdjk.jpg

&
Goldstar RT-1201 Controller Card\
20150625_120952_zps8oaelmyh.jpg
I tested it, and the FDD controller doesn't work 😢
But i ordered another one from ebay last week, so i hope that one works 100%

Reply 8099 of 52819, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this nice looking pII system for only 7,50 euro. It was a prop in the thriftshop i got it from. Owner seemed a bit surprice i was intrested in it asking me what i would pay for it.
He also invited me to look into his recycled pc stuff next time i visit.
It's a P-II 350mhz 100fsb onto a Asus P2B motherboard, 64mb memory, daimond speedstar a50 8mb agp, sblive ct4670, 40x cdrom no hdd.

Attachments

• 20150625_202309.jpg
    Filename
    20150625_202309.jpg
    File size
    1.85 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception