VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 8800 of 52886, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SC-55 found down the road from work thanks to keropi. Works great, power and instrument + buttons are a little tempramental as these were obviously used the most! No problem for computer/games use though.

o7c6D6fl.jpg

Reply 8801 of 52886, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
I bought one of these new in 1995. No longer have it :neutral: […]
Show full quote
PeterLI wrote:

Bought a boxed AWE32 today. Really cheap. Will be at my parents house in NL next month hopefully. I will probably keep it to trade.

I bought one of these new in 1995. No longer have it 😐

YI517M552_662875c9-aeb1-467b-947e-5fc380f02620_large.jpg

But today I bought this! I found this in a local paper for a tenner and am collecting in Wednesday. Can't wait to see what's inside. I've read that some Packard Bells had 3DFX hardware built in, is that right? Then again it's just as likely to be a heap of crap but look! It's boxed, it's got a remote control and is apparently running Windows 95 😊

OMFG I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was basically my families first computer back in 1995!

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 8802 of 52886, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@bjt
excellent , that's one of the early units... enjoy the unique sound output 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8803 of 52886, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm....well, BOTH of my VESA LOCAL BUS IDE Cache controllers are DEAD. One won't even show during boot, and the other won't save the EEPROM settings of the configured hard drive. I'll have to figure out whats going on with them. Maybe the one that wont save EEPROM settings needs a new EEPROM? (too many write cycles, or just too old?)

So, I bought a Promise EIDE 2300 PLUS VLB IO controller new off ebay for $20. My other VESA won't allow a ZIP ATAPI internal drive, and this one should.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 8804 of 52886, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

OMFG I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was basically my families first computer back in 1995!

Your reaction pretty much made my day. I left the house before 9am to get to Cambridge to pick up a 386 I bought off eBay for 99p. It should have taken an hour and a half but took 2 hours. On the way back, after getting some lunch, it was pissing it down and the traffic was nasty. I picked up the Packard Bell at about 5 pm - the thing was still in its original packaging and still has the discs and manuals - and didn't get home till half 6. And I missed my 10 year old daughter getting her ears pierced. This is my level of dedication to the Vogons cause.

Sad or commendable?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 8805 of 52886, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brassicGamer wrote:

Your reaction pretty much made my day. I left the house before 9am to get to Cambridge to pick up a 386 I bought off eBay for 99p. It should have taken an hour and a half but took 2 hours. On the way back, after getting some lunch, it was pissing it down and the traffic was nasty. I picked up the Packard Bell at about 5 pm - the thing was still in its original packaging and still has the discs and manuals - and didn't get home till half 6. And I missed my 10 year old daughter getting her ears pierced. This is my level of dedication to the Vogons cause.

Sad or commendable?

Well... My daughter is not allowed to have her ears pierced untill the age of 13/14.
Sad... Nope. Not at all. Because you got that piece of history, and perhaps saved it from recycling.
There will be other things regarding you'r daughter, that will be more important in the future.
Wedding, graduation, drivers license. Perhaps grand children? Even her, getting her first puppy.
Those are way more important. And yeah. All those everyday moment's to cherish.
Like going to the movies, cooking food together or taking a trip to the local forrest/woods.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8806 of 52886, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

There will be other things regarding you'r daughter, that will be more important in the future.

I feel better. Thank you, brother 😊

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 8808 of 52886, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marquzz wrote:
Got this yesterday, IBM 365XD. Pentium, 40MB ram, 750MB hdd, CD-ROM(!) and running Win95 OSR2. […]
Show full quote

Got this yesterday, IBM 365XD. Pentium, 40MB ram, 750MB hdd, CD-ROM(!) and running Win95 OSR2.

aww508.jpg

Nice! Looks great, I love old Thinkpads, should post up my stash one day. Got any plans for it?

Just another question though - is it sticky anywhere? Virtually all of mine feel sticky, and usually the wristpad is the first place to deteriorate it seems 😢

Last edited by JidaiGeki on 2015-08-27, 08:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8809 of 52886, by Marquzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote:
Marquzz wrote:

Got this yesterday, IBM 365XD. Pentium, 40MB ram, 750MB hdd, CD-ROM(!) and running Win95 OSR2.

Nice! Looks great, I love old Thinkpads, should post up my stash one day. Got any plans for it?

Just one question though - is it sticky anywhere? Virtually all of mine feel sticky, and usually the wristpad is the first place to deteriorate it seems 😢

No, it's in excellent condition. It doesn't seem used much at all. The seller didn't even reinstalled it so it got documents on it from around -98 (nothing exciting though 😉). The only thing that doesn't work is the battery, but that was to be expected. Found one on ebay, but it did cost alot so I have to think about it. And oh oh, it got Netscape installed, the momeries 😁

Around this time I mostly played games, so I will probably try to install same like Ignition, quake, Duke3d, Unreal, Diablo, GTA and maybe even Half-Life 😀

Reply 8811 of 52886, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

A boxed Diamond Monster 3D PCI (Voodoo Graphics)

The condition of that box is particularly impressive. Where did you find it?? Sometimes the source of a piece of hardware is as interesting as the hardware itself.

I feel a lot of jealousy when reading this thread, and some happiness. But mostly pain, particularly when I think that, for everything that is saved, hundreds if not thousands of things have been thrown away 😢

Reply 8812 of 52886, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:
A boxed Diamond Monster 3D PCI (Voodoo Graphics) http://www.voodooalert.de/board/wcf/images/photos/photo-407-e7045f5a.jpg […]
Show full quote

A boxed Diamond Monster 3D PCI (Voodoo Graphics)
photo-407-e7045f5a.jpg

Nice! You KNOW I loved a good boxed item. 😀 Yours is in better shape than mine!
uMDXhm.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8813 of 52886, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A small victory and a minor defeat. I got a working 5150 and 3 Unisys machines (286, 486, PII) for 50e. Too bad the 486 seems dead as I can't get it to give any picture even though i swapped the PSU, CPU and RAM. 😢. The 286 was missing one memory chip from the middle of the row! I got a few new ones as spares, so it worked fine after plugging one in.

Attachments

• pc.JPG
    Filename
    pc.JPG
    File size
    133.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8814 of 52886, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sf78 wrote:

A small victory and a minor defeat. I got a working 5150 and 3 Unisys machines (286, 486, PII) for 50e. Too bad the 486 seems dead as I can't get it to give any picture even though i swapped the PSU, CPU and RAM. 😢. The 286 was missing one memory chip from the middle of the row! I got a few new ones as spares, so it worked fine after plugging one in.

Unisys machines have a nice design. Love them.
Hope you will get as many of them working, as you can.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8815 of 52886, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a matter of fact, the 486 is now the only problem of the bunch. Everything else just works. I'll probably make another thread about that, as I've had similar problem with one or two dead mainboards before.

Reply 8816 of 52886, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@brassicgamer
on ebay. It's good to save stuff like that, and then pass it on to someone who appreciates it 😀

@Artex
Thanks!
Your box looks great! The folds are ok. I think it is in good shape!
Also it doesnt have the "pc magazine ribbon" on the top left corner. You must have an early box 😀

These are my other boxes:
photo-409-2688312e.jpg
The one on the top is the US version, the bottom one is my other one.
Do you have some other cool boxes? Maybe in a separate thread 😀

Reply 8817 of 52886, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:

Do you have some other cool boxes? Maybe in a separate thread 😀

Nice! I don't have a US version. This should wet your whistle... 😎
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8819 of 52886, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
Arctic wrote:

Nice! I don't have a US version. This should wet your whistle... 😎
Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

OMFG