VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 8823 of 52835, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

Good stuff Peter!! You KNOW I love Roland goodies!

evil eye at Artex's collection of MPU401AT's.... 😠

😎

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 8824 of 52835, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Who does not?

You already know the answer to that.

1. Do you actually own anything that isn't made by IBM/Roland/(Generic Overpricer)?
2. Do you actually use all of this stuff, or does it just live in boxes? You seem to constantly buy the same three or so devices and that's the last we hear of it.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8825 of 52835, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:
You already know the answer to that. […]
Show full quote
PeterLI wrote:

Who does not?

You already know the answer to that.

1. Do you actually own anything that isn't made by IBM/Roland/(Generic Overpricer)?
2. Do you actually use all of this stuff, or does it just live in boxes? You seem to constantly buy the same three or so devices and that's the last we hear of it.

IMHO, better in an enthusiast's basement than in landfill. There's not enough time in the world to play with all the toys.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 8826 of 52835, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not using something is just the same. Electronics, much like engines, are not made to sit there doing nothing and will last longer when used regularly.

Reply 8827 of 52835, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally i got lucky today. Found a working IBM model 30 286. Together with a psone with controller and official lcd monitor for only 12 euro.

20150828_224101.jpg
Filename
20150828_224101.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Sadly no model m keyboard was there.
The model 30 is stock, so a 286-10mhz, 1 mb ram, onboard vga 1 3 1/2" diskdrive and no hdd.
Need to fix the dallas chip
Get error 161 & 163. Shouldn't be that hard, since i already modded serveral cd-i systems with death batteries.
System was filthy layers and layers of thick dust.

Reply 8828 of 52835, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
seob wrote:

Need to fix the dallas chip.

I just discovered the infamous Dallas RTC - my DS12887 replacement should arrive on Monday!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 8830 of 52835, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you're a trader? That's fine, I just wondered why you bought so much of the same thing. Nothing I wouldn't do, I tried for years to grab the old 5160's from the local Toys R Us, but last time I passed they were stripping the building and they had all been scrapped already... Which sucked, because I really wanted to grab them and sell them and even systems like that going to waste kind of sucks to be honest.

I shall ignore your obvious attempts to provoke me.

Reply 8833 of 52835, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

So you're a trader? That's fine, I just wondered why you bought so much of the same thing. Nothing I wouldn't do, I tried for years to grab the old 5160's from the local Toys R Us, but last time I passed they were stripping the building and they had all been scrapped already... Which sucked, because I really wanted to grab them and sell them and even systems like that going to waste kind of sucks to be honest.

I shall ignore your obvious attempts to provoke me.

Hoarding everything with out using It makes no sense. If you get something you know is worth but you don't like it, sell it. Invest into something you do like. Peter is definitely not the only one that buys Roland equipment. And there are definitely those who are much more extreme and have more money to spend.
Don't be angry about something like that, its normal. For example I don't buy on ebay, I go to flea markets, junk yards, yard sales, recycle centers, those that buy to sell to recycle centers, and so on. I got my Gravis Ultra Sound Max boxed for 4$.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 8834 of 52835, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was not angry, I was just attempting to better understand his motivation. Not much point being a community if you don't talk to one another or try to understand each other as people... Heh, maybe I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, here in the UK or in Hull¹ at least , flea markets are devoid of anything like that, junk yards are "no entry", removal from the city dump is considered theft (and they come down hard if they catch you) and nobody has yard sales. eBay is the only option and if you can even find it in the UK it will still be cheaper to import from the States or Eastern Europe, the latter being most reasonable provided you are careful and look closely at what you are buying.

¹ The city is a notorious shithole near the East Coast, where I happen to live... As a reference to how tech-oriented the city is, we are unique to the country in that we really only have a single ISP. This page explains it well for an outsider I think; http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-exp … n-i-get-in-hull and naturally the ISP abuses this monopoly, bills people up the ass, does not offer unlimited packages (they keep changing them and raising the prices) and fuck over the poor areas the worst by far, upgrading the fibre to the rich asshole who just got it (with free installation, paid for by doubled bandwidth charges to old DSL customers) but telling us our failing network is fine and does not need work... Yeah, because the fact my landline phone doesn't work, my internet is intermittent and only connects at 2.5-3Mbps (when it used to manage 12Mbps) is no problem at all, it works fine. Oh, guess I'll have to pay more, because they have to "maintain obsolete hardware to keep you connected" as if it's my fault.

Basically, they are public enemy Number One around here.

Actually thinking of doing a video on it at some stage, which I might mention in passing here if it ever happens as I actually find it quite interesting and out telecoms network is technically "retro hardware" given large portions of it predate the Athlon XP... There are rumors - and they are rumors, though photos surfaced but were never verified - that some of the equipment is still in wooden "drawer" type frames with sliding ladders and has been there since the 1930s, which wouldn't surprise me.

Reply 8835 of 52835, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New parts for my dual LGA771 board. 😀

Xeon 5050 - dualcore + HT @ 3GHz
xeon5050s9bqf.jpg

Xeon 5080 - dualcore + HT @ 3,73GHz (equivalent of Pentium EE 965)
xeon5080rlbvm.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 8836 of 52835, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As someone who lives in the UK, it is definitely possible to find bargains out there. I've seen a few older systems listed on freebie sites, and even took one home myself (the PIII Vectra). eBay can provide good bargains as well, if you get lucky - I bought a Voodoo 2 card for far less than they usually cost, with all of the bits bar the box, and have found plenty of cheap old laptops and desktops, although the latter usually require you to collect things. Some of the charity shops will sell consoles very cheaply as well.

I wasn't aware of the internet situation in Hull though, that's pretty bizarre. The speed is still significantly better than it is in the countryside though, as my parents' house gets about 1 MB at best (maybe 1.5 at a push), and often less than that... and some houses not that far away barely get broadband at all.

Reply 8838 of 52835, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

NEC Intersect SCSI CDR-74 NOS, w/caddy

IMG_0267[1].JPG
Filename
IMG_0267[1].JPG
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8839 of 52835, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this at my local thrift store yesterday for $5. Not sure if it works or not, but it looks like it is in good shape.

I actually don't have any Athlons or Durons on hand to test it -- just Athlon XP and a Sempron.

Not sure if it will get much use because of my Soyo K7VTA Pro build, but it is nice to have nonetheless to cover this particular period in my collection.

P1110679.jpg