Topic actions

Reply 9340 of 52835, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:
oerk wrote:

The DX-50 predates the VLB era, and considering the VLB bus, depending on the indivdual cards, sometimes has problems even running at 40 MHz, you can see why it is hopeless running at 50 MHz. I think that was one of the reasons for the introduction of the DX2-50.

I had a 486DX-50 system with VLB back in 1991. My Promise IDE card and Diamond Stealth (S3 Vision) VLB cards worked fine at 50 MHz.

I stand corrected.

Can't imagine what that thing must've cost in 1991!

Reply 9341 of 52835, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Allright, I give: what's the reverse PCI slot at the bottom of this thing? I'm aware of 3.3V PCI slots but they're not offset towards the back of the board like that one is. It looks like you could stick a normal PCI card up-side-down in there if you took off the end plate?

Nah... IIRC they were proprietary and used for modems and such. Like AMR/CMR.

Reply 9342 of 52835, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oerk wrote:
boxpressed wrote:
oerk wrote:

The DX-50 predates the VLB era, and considering the VLB bus, depending on the indivdual cards, sometimes has problems even running at 40 MHz, you can see why it is hopeless running at 50 MHz. I think that was one of the reasons for the introduction of the DX2-50.

I had a 486DX-50 system with VLB back in 1991. My Promise IDE card and Diamond Stealth (S3 Vision) VLB cards worked fine at 50 MHz.

I stand corrected.

Can't imagine what that thing must've cost in 1991!

Sorry, but since I've done alot of research into building a DX-50 system, that can't be correct.
VLB wasnt released until 1992, and didn't really become common until 1993.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Local_Bus
S3 Vision series wasn't out until 1993 as well.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9343 of 52835, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*Some* of the S3vision boards (the ones that use DRAM) can work at 50MHz. I heard S3 968 does not handle it well. I am too affraid to fry my card trying.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9344 of 52835, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

In fairness, he did say usually.

EDIT: And I think you may be misremembering, unless it was a cut-down special; a quick Google search doesn't turn up any obvious 32MB 8500s.

I have also never heard of a 32MB 8500. Only 64MB or 128MB.
9000 OTOH does come with 32MB, especially the mobile variant. The memory interface is reduced to 64-bit in that case.

Yep, the Mobility Radeon 9000s have 32MB of RAM in the Dell Latitude D600s I've owned.

Reply 9346 of 52835, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386SX wrote:
Artex wrote:

NEC PowerVR PCX2 - Videologic Apocalypse 3Dx 4MB PCI (Boxed) (1997)

Explosive acceleration for "3" games....

😁

Hahaha. I thought the same. 😀 This quote is rather underwhelming as well..
"Apocalypse 3Dx is a very good card and has great 3D performance"

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9347 of 52835, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:
Artex wrote:

😁

I always wondered if having one of these cards in my system could make it ideal for using a Playstation 1 emulator and ROM's. Not that there aren't better 3D cards which could do everything the PowerVR cards can do, but at least you could use it in it's genuine role. I'm not sure how the speed of one of these cards compares to the on-board PowerVR in the Playstation. But obviously, these cards are driven harder, the faster your processor/motherboard combination is. I don't know if the card can be driven without error over an overclocked PCI bus, but since even modern motherboards can be found with 5V PCI buses, it could be fun to do new benchmarks and overclock experiments with it.

Reply 9348 of 52835, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2GB IBM DCAS 50-pin SCSI HDD

Any other or more silent 50pin SCSI HDD's known?

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2015-10-16, 16:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 9349 of 52835, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Logistics wrote:
386SX wrote:
Artex wrote:

😁

I always wondered if having one of these cards in my system could make it ideal for using a Playstation 1 emulator and ROM's. Not that there aren't better 3D cards which could do everything the PowerVR cards can do, but at least you could use it in it's genuine role. I'm not sure how the speed of one of these cards compares to the on-board PowerVR in the Playstation. But obviously, these cards are driven harder, the faster your processor/motherboard combination is. I don't know if the card can be driven without error over an overclocked PCI bus, but since even modern motherboards can be found with 5V PCI buses, it could be fun to do new benchmarks and overclock experiments with it.

I think you might be mistaken here, as far as I know the Power VR was used by Dreamcast and that was PCX2, the Sony Playstation had no connection to the Power VR.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 9350 of 52835, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
Sorry, but since I've done alot of research into building a DX-50 system, that can't be correct. VLB wasnt released until 1992, […]
Show full quote

Sorry, but since I've done alot of research into building a DX-50 system, that can't be correct.
VLB wasnt released until 1992, and didn't really become common until 1993.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Local_Bus
S3 Vision series wasn't out until 1993 as well.

I made a mistake on the Diamond card. It is actually a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM VLB, a Trio64-based card. I still have it (along with the Promise card). Here is a link to a thread on it: Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM VLB + memory upgrade = burning smell!

My memory may be fuzzy, but I'm almost positive this was 1991. I remember because that's when I started grad school, and I had some money to buy a cutting-edge system. Possible that I bought it in 1992. When I have some time, I will check the Diamond and Promise cards for dates.

Reply 9351 of 52835, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:
xjas wrote:

Allright, I give: what's the reverse PCI slot at the bottom of this thing? I'm aware of 3.3V PCI slots but they're not offset towards the back of the board like that one is. It looks like you could stick a normal PCI card up-side-down in there if you took off the end plate?

It's ASUS' proprietary ACR (Advanced Communication Riser). From the manual it supports "modem, audio, LAN" risers. It appears you have the option between enabling that slot or using the USB#3 header on the motherboard via jumper.

Reply 9352 of 52835, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Apologies to oerk and everyone else, but I think my memory is failing me in my old age. I couldn't have obtained a VLB motherboard until at least 1992 and maybe 1993. I suspect that the Diamond card is from 1993 or 1994, given that the Trio64 was the successor to the Vision series, correct? The only thing that I am certain about is that I ran a DX-50 on my VLB board. Sorry for all the confusion.

Last edited by boxpressed on 2015-10-16, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9353 of 52835, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a brand new full tower AT case! Wasn't cheap, but could certainly be worth it for its uncommon features...

IMG_0023.JPG
Filename
IMG_0023.JPG
File size
44.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0024.JPG
Filename
IMG_0024.JPG
File size
40.68 KiB
Views
File license

Its what I tend to call an "Extended AT" case, for those four extra expansion slots above the keyboard, exactly what you need for such amazing boards as an Supermicro P6DGH or an Asus P/I P65UP8. Along with that it has a standard power supply mount, two 80mm fan mounts, one in the front for expansion cards and one in the back. There's two external 3.5" bays, five 5.25" bays, and three internal 3.5" bays, a 3 digit CPU speed indicator, and IMO, the best power switch in existence 🤣

Sadly, as much as I would like one I can't find the board I would like to put into it: A Supermicro P6DGH, a dual slot 1, 440GX monster that could very well be the fastest AT board ever made... (Although, http://www.interloper.com/products/product-de … rch_str=bsearch does sell a P6DLH, which is limited to a 440LX chipset and the slower FSB and lack of AGP that comes with it) I did pick up a brand new motherboard to fit into the case until I could track one down!

IMG_0022.JPG
Filename
IMG_0022.JPG
File size
212.71 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_0020.JPG
Filename
IMG_0020.JPG
File size
79.85 KiB
Views
File license

I got a brand new, open box, Tyan Tsunami AT ( S1830 ) off of eBay for $75 on an offer. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231621384263 The person selling them has another 48 more and seems very willing to take offers along with their lowering the price fairly regularly, for anyone who wants one.

Anyway, specs on the board: 440BX chipset w/ 100mhz FSB support, 1x AGP, 4xPCI, 4xISA, and will take 1GB of SDRAM, and I have every reason to believe will accept my 1.4ghz Tualatin Celeron with my Powerleap slotket. It also doesn't lose any of the built-in I/O you get with ATX 440BX boards, and has the connectors for PS/2 mouse, dual serial, parallel, and even USB on the board, ready for connectors to be mounted to the case. A very solid board and I look forward to putting it to use!

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0026.JPG
    File size
    89.76 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9354 of 52835, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
QBiN wrote:
oerk wrote:
xjas wrote:

It's ASUS' proprietary ACR (Advanced Communication Riser). From the manual it supports "modem, audio, LAN" risers. It appears you have the option between enabling that slot or using the USB#3 header on the motherboard via jumper.

Ick, just looked up some info on those. What a horrible design choice for an apparently useless slot. My first assumption would be that it's there to put something like an internal drive controller or watchdog board in upside-down and a normal card in the same slot space. I'm guessing Bad Things Would Happen if I did that.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 9355 of 52835, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This item should arrive tomorrow. The only retro item I've been actively hunting for is a wavetable daughtercard at a reasonable price. This is the Diamond Monster MIDI 4MB. I've read generally positive things about this board on Vogons.

One question I have: Can this daughtercard also be used with an ISA soundcard with wavetable header, such as the SB16?

diamondwave.jpg

Reply 9356 of 52835, by mrferg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just picked up an unused Inwin A500 and a boxed, but used Gravis Gamepad Pro. Time to perform a case swap on my 450mhz SE440BX2 V3-3000 system. 😁

PacBell 386sx
Gateway 2k P75
HP Pav 7360 MMX200
SE440BX-2, P2 450
3 Modernish Dell Precisions

Reply 9357 of 52835, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:
brostenen wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13450020/Mega%20Haul%202015/Haul-03.jpg […]
Show full quote

Haul-03.jpg

I don't know that yet. Have been puzzeled about this too. Hmmm... I just have not had time testing all of my haul yet.
As you can see. It was some giant one I made. Like 5 motherboards and other stuff. Including that P-166 AT system,
wich was complete and in working condition.

Last edited by brostenen on 2015-10-16, 19:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9358 of 52835, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Recieved my STB Voodoo2 today. It even came with a manual and a driverdisc.
I swapped an AWE64 for it, as I had too many of those and was missing a single V2-12mb for SLI.

Swap-01.jpg
Swap-02.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9359 of 52835, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dant wrote:

I got a brand new, open box, Tyan Tsunami AT ( S1830 ) off of eBay for $75 on an offer. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231621384263 The person selling them has another 48 more and seems very willing to take offers along with their lowering the price fairly regularly, for anyone who wants one.

Anyway, specs on the board: 440BX chipset w/ 100mhz FSB support, 1x AGP, 4xPCI, 4xISA, and will take 1GB of SDRAM, and I have every reason to believe will accept my 1.4ghz Tualatin Celeron with my Powerleap slotket. It also doesn't lose any of the built-in I/O you get with ATX 440BX boards, and has the connectors for PS/2 mouse, dual serial, parallel, and even USB on the board, ready for connectors to be mounted to the case. A very solid board and I look forward to putting it to use!

I wouldn't pay 75$ for an AT slot 1 motherboard, even if it comes with a box - but that's just me. I usually pick up slot 1 AT mobos for about 10 euro, and that's as far as I'm willing to pay for them. I'd rather use my AT cases for AT motherboards, like a super socket 7 witch can mostly be found in AT format (around here anyway) a socket 4 or a socket 3 board.

Anyway, great looking case!