VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10021 of 52973, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The UMC? If it runs a regular 486SX it will probably run the UMC. Some boards have jumper settings specifically for them but if they don't they usually work because the chip is pin compatible. I have even had one working on an Intel 420 chipset board.

If you have the LV version, you need a 3 Volt board. I have never seen a PGA variant of these though, so the chances of you having that one are not particularly high and it would be clearly marked.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10022 of 52973, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
Brickpad wrote:

I am curious - Why weren't / aren't these UMC CPUs allowed to be sold to the US? Something to do with patent infringement?

Intel won a case because they proved the chip infringed on the 486 patents.

Probably in the exact same way Apple "proved" that Samsung infringed their patents... and got away with doing the exact same thing with Samsung's patents.

Reply 10023 of 52973, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

Probably in the exact same way Apple "proved" that Samsung infringed their patents... and got away with doing the exact same thing with Samsung's patents.

In fairness, we've seen emails where Samsung management basically told their designers outright to copy Apple.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10024 of 52973, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

In fairness, we've seen emails where Samsung management basically told their designers outright to copy Apple.

Perhaps so, but in that industry, everyone basically copies everyone anyway - and some of the things Apple were claiming to be infringed on were beyond ludicrous.

Reply 10025 of 52973, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

Perhaps so, but in that industry, everyone basically copies everyone anyway - and some of the things Apple were claiming to be infringed on were beyond ludicrous.

You're right. Likewise in that industry, everybody races to patent stupid things, and everybody races to sue everybody else for infringing those patents.

Apple is only the most visible perpetrator (and the most popular for people to shit on), but they're all doing it.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10026 of 52973, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

You're right. Likewise in that industry, everybody races to patent stupid things, and everybody races to sue everybody else for infringing those patents.

Apple is only the most visible perpetrator (and the most popular for people to shit on), but they're all doing it.

Apple get the flack because they were extremely hypocritical and only won the case because it was in a US court - with those courts being well known to favour US companies enormously over foreign ones. They're not quite patent trolls, but they are close.

Reply 10027 of 52973, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They've been butthurt over the Look n' Feel case for a long time. I think this was a way for them to erase some of the shame and feel special again. In a way, it was like courtroom mediated therapy.

If they were really interested in protecting their branding, they'd be going after the real fake iPhone makers.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10028 of 52973, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BSA Starfire wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

@BSA Starfire; Yeah, I want one of those though every time I've almost had one, it has been swiped from under my nose by the furious computer gods or something... I dunno, something always goes wrong, though I have at least been refunded every time up to now.

Some of them were relabeled. I do not know why, perhaps they changed their quality control or their silk screening process was broken somewhere.

@Brickpad; Supposedly so. I don't know which patent exactly, given the internal workings appear to be very different to those of an Intel processor. I guess they didn't have a license to the arc though.

Ah! the furious computer Gods, that why I can't get a 2.2v Cyrix MII, RiSE MP6 or a Renditon Verite card, mind you, if I did get those only the really impossible parts would be left like the NexGen 5x86 etc...... 🤣

Are the 2.2v Cyrix chips and the Renditions that hard to find these days?
Both used to be all over the place (especially that silver colored PR-333? Cyrix chip and the 2100's made by Diamond), especially since those renditions didn't have official XP drivers. Used to work in a small place doing computer repairs and the Renditions were one type of card which would be on top of the "whenever we get one of these, toss it right away and don't bother" list

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10029 of 52973, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Are the 2.2v Cyrix chips and the Renditions that hard to find these days?
Both used to be all over the place (especially that silver colored PR-333? Cyrix chip and the 2100's made by Diamond), especially since those renditions didn't have official XP drivers. Used to work in a small place doing computer repairs and the Renditions were one type of card which would be on top of the "whenever we get one of these, toss it right away and don't bother" list

I think that's exactly why you don't find that many Rendition cards anymore. For XP they are only supported in 2D, no 3D acceleration, so most people would have gotten another video card when upgrading. A TNT2M64 would have been fine.
And than I don't know how many cards have been sold. I know that the Stealth II S220 was the most popular Rendition model because of its price, but I can imagine that cards with chips from other manufacturers were sold more often. (Especially ATI cards were extremely popular with OEMs.)
The situation is even worse with PowerVR cards. PCX1 and PCX2 were completely useless for XP usage, since they don't display their own image you can't even use the cards for 2D.

Reply 10030 of 52973, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got my eye on an 433 MHz AMD K6-2 powered laptop that's listed as spares and repairs, but is fairly complete... just have to hope it's still for sale in a couple of weeks when I actually have money again!

Reply 10031 of 52973, by Klankins

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just picked up an Oak Technology OTI601 sound card for my Pentium 1 build. After some fiddling with the IRQ settings a bit it seems to be working great. My only complaint so far is the audio in seems to have quite a bit of buzz. Not sure if it is the cable, the source, or the card that is causing it yet.

Reply 10032 of 52973, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was handed over a number of 72-pin memory..... Hopefully they work.
Have no idea on if they are FPM or EDO. None are smaller than 16mb each.
So they are nice for P1 machines. Too big for 486-class stuff if you ask me.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10034 of 52973, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

You can test them in your FIC 486-VIP-IO - it it posts, its FPM. If it doesn't it's edo

Actually a good advice. I was about to go out and search the numbers on the chips. 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10035 of 52973, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

Was handed over a number of 72-pin memory..... Hopefully they work.
Have no idea on if they are FPM or EDO. None are smaller than 16mb each.
So they are nice for P1 machines. Too big for 486-class stuff if you ask me.

kanecvr wrote:

You can test them in your FIC 486-VIP-IO - it it posts, its FPM. If it doesn't it's edo

I think I used a PA-2005 for this. It's a Socket 7 board with a VIA chipset and will work with single SIMM modules.
This has the added benefit in that it works with both EDO and FPM. If I use some 486 board for this and it doesn't post, I'll still not know if the module is EDO or is just defective (which means I'll have to test the same module twice).

As a bonus I won't ruin a 486 board if the module turns out to be killer RAM 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 10037 of 52973, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nahkri wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
brostenen wrote:

if the module turns out to be killer RAM 😜

What Is killer ram?

It's just some name I kinda invented. I've had a couple different hardware thingies that, when used, would kill other hardware.

The one I remember most vividly was a harddrive with whcih I killed not one, but 2 motherboards! Man, I should've labelled it correctly after the first time 🙁
One other I remember was an SDRAM module which would make any board I ever put it in extremely unstable, it would turn any board from "rock solid" into "can barely make it past POST" whenever I tried to use it. After a few misses I figured out it was the RAM module all along.

The worst is that both of these had no visual signs of any defects, no burn marks, no severed traces, but perhaps I overlooked.

So basically whenever I identify a piece of hardware that kills other hardware, I'll add "killer" in front of the type of hardware 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 10038 of 52973, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I am watching this thread a looooong time, so i guess it is time to share my stuff too... 😁
Firstly, I got this board. It is AMD N80L286 based mainboard. I was inspecting it with a feeling that something is weird. And I actually found out what was that. The font of writings on the board is weird. Later I found on the internet that this mobo is from Japan. (Also it wants SIPP RAM.)
Sadly, I don't have any working ISA graphics card, so I can't test it. The first thing when I got the board was that I snipped off the battery, but it already leaked and destroyed some traces, so can somebody give me some advices how to repair it? It is first and only 286 mobo I have, so any help will be very appreciated!
SAM_1840_zpstqhxfl0n.jpg
SAM_1848_zpsfzex0hal.jpg

The second one is socket 7 ZIDA 60-TX1001.10-L0, made in Russia. It is 17x22 cm, works like a charm! But I tried to stuff it with 2x256 Mb RAM and it refused to work, so i am guessing the BIOS does not like that much memory. I want to find a case appropriate for this board, but I have NO idea where. 😁
SAM_1842_zpsstym4u2u.jpg

Reply 10039 of 52973, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

krivulak, Your 286 in fact uses SIPP and DIP RAM, DIP being installed already. I would guess you have 1MB of memory there, so you could at least see if it beeps 😀 The damage does not seem serious, you can always throw a wire in place of a trace in case there is no contact.