Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 10100 of 52811, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Your s5 system, the modules you mention "32MB FPM RAM (Registered?)", if you want, could you post a pic of the modules?
I remember once having stripped a dual s5 or s7 system on the street and the modules you mention sound to be similar (the case was way too heavy, but I did take the chips and the memory modules and they were also FPM I think).

Here they are, front and back!

Scan 014s.png
Filename
Scan 014s.png
File size
633.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10101 of 52811, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Your s5 system, the modules you mention "32MB FPM RAM (Registered?)", if you want, could you post a pic of the modules?
I remember once having stripped a dual s5 or s7 system on the street and the modules you mention sound to be similar (the case was way too heavy, but I did take the chips and the memory modules and they were also FPM I think).

Scan 014s.png

Thanks for the good quality pics 😀

Looks like parity modules 16MB (pre-Pentium systems had such modules a lot, the non-parity ones became standard after 1995 or so?). Oldest registered modules I know to exist are DIMMs, but that doesn't mean they didn't exist as SIMMs.
I'll go check my attic later and see what kind of modules I have, I have lots of memory modules that are similar to yours.

The ones I took from that server I stripped had square-shaped extra chips soldered to the modules though, never seen anything like that before and afterwards.

I don't think they are wired differently compared to "standard" FPM and EDO SIMMs and if they indeed use the same wiring, you could try them out in another (cannonfodder 😜 ) board to see if they work. But if you doubt that, then please don't 🤣!
I can't remember from top of my head if I ever tested my modules in another board, but if I have then I probably labeled them as 'tested'.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10102 of 52811, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Thanks for the good quality pics :) […]
Show full quote

Looks like parity modules 16MB (pre-Pentium systems had such modules a lot, the non-parity ones became standard after 1995 or so?). Oldest registered modules I know to exist are DIMMs, but that doesn't mean they didn't exist as SIMMs.
I'll go check my attic later and see what kind of modules I have, I have lots of memory modules that are similar to yours.

The ones I took from that server I stripped had square-shaped extra chips soldered to the modules though, never seen anything like that before and afterwards.

I don't think they are wired differently compared to "standard" FPM and EDO SIMMs and if they indeed use the same wiring, you could try them out in another (cannonfodder 😜 ) board to see if they work. But if you doubt that, then please don't 🤣!
I can't remember from top of my head if I ever tested my modules in another board, but if I have then I probably labeled them as 'tested'.

Thanks 😀 These are scans, made on an almost retro scanner. I used to take pictures before, but it's winter, it gets dark very early, so I spend daylight hours at work and can't find suitable lightning to make photos.

So they are not registered... That was just a thought from the top of my head, these look different from the memory I've seen => they must be server class => REG? ECC? I hope 430NX supports desktop EDO memory! Would make it a lot easier to expand.

Btw, I have two 32MB server FPM sticks with square chips currently running in my 486.

Reply 10103 of 52811, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:
Thanks :) These are scans, made on an almost retro scanner. I used to take pictures before, but it's winter, it gets dark very e […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
Thanks for the good quality pics :) […]
Show full quote

Thanks 😀 These are scans, made on an almost retro scanner. I used to take pictures before, but it's winter, it gets dark very early, so I spend daylight hours at work and can't find suitable lightning to make photos.

So they are not registered... That was just a thought from the top of my head, these look different from the memory I've seen => they must be server class => REG? ECC? I hope 430NX supports desktop EDO memory! Would make it a lot easier to expand.

Btw, I have two 32MB server FPM sticks with square chips currently running in my 486.

I created a new thread about memory modules, I'm interested to see what else is out there now! 😁
It's here: Post pictures of all your (strange) memory modules here for all to see :)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10104 of 52811, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

There is also a 1.2 revision called PCI-AS7870 for SCSI and SB16.

My SCSI&SB16 on media bus is PCI-AS300.

Number #26 on this list:
http://i.imgur.com/0kulK2s.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10105 of 52811, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:
My SCSI&SB16 on media bus is PCI-AS300. […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote:

Number #26 on this list:

This version is new for me, seems to lack some of the extra soundchips on it. Can't find info if it is a mediabus 1.0 or mediabus 2.0 version 😠

Reply 10106 of 52811, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Scan 014s.png

4pc HM514100CS6 FPM 4Mx1 (4Mb)
8pc HM5117400S6 FPM 4Mx4 (16Mb)
If you add up the 4pc x1 and 8pc x4 you get 36 wide, so with parity.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10107 of 52811, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nvm1 wrote:
kixs wrote:
My SCSI&SB16 on media bus is PCI-AS300. […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote:

Number #26 on this list:

This version is new for me, seems to lack some of the extra soundchips on it. Can't find info if it is a mediabus 1.0 or mediabus 2.0 version 😠

Here is the manual if it helps:
ftp://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/scsi/as300/as300-101.pdf

Reply 10108 of 52811, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Number #26 on this list:
http://i.imgur.com/0kulK2s.jpg[/quote]

This version is new for me, seems to lack some of the extra soundchips on it. Can't find info if it is a mediabus 1.0 or mediabus 2.0 version 😠[/quote]

Here is the manual if it helps:
ftp://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/scsi/as300/as300-101.pdf[/quote]

That helps indeed.. it's for mediabus revision 2.0 only
Weren't there any other cards made for mediabus revision 1.0?

Reply 10110 of 52811, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

Just went through the manual and indeed it's v2.0.

Do you know what Asus boards are mediabus 2.0 compatible?

List here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Media_Bus

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10111 of 52811, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

Just went through the manual and indeed it's v2.0.

Do you know what Asus boards are mediabus 2.0 compatible?

From the manual of the Asus P/I-XP55T2P4:

ASUS MediaBus Card
ASUS MediaBus allows a cost-efficient solution to a complete multimedia system.
The advantages of using one add-on card is to reduce the slot requirements and
compatibility problems in order to maximize the Plug and Play advantages. The
add-on card inserts into the shared PCI 4 / MediaBus 2.0 Slot.
NOTE: This motherboard uses MediaBus Rev. 2.0. The previous MediaBus
cards designed for MediaBus Rev. 1.2 will not fit into the MediaBus Rev 2.0
that is on this motherboard.
The difference between Rev. 1.2 and Rev. 2.0 is that the later revision has 72 pins
instead of 68 so it does not have to use any PCI slot signals reserved for PCI cards,
therefore the motherboard's PCI Slot 4 can meet standard specifications. The gap
between the MediaBus extension and the PCI Slot 4 has been increased from 0.32"
to 0.40" in order to prevent Rev. 1.2 MediaBus cards from being installed into the
new motherboards and vice versa.
The following are MediaBus cards designed for MediaBus 2.0 that can be used on
this motherboard:
• PCI-AS2940UW Ultra Fast/Wide SCSI & Audio MediaBus Card
• PCI-AV264CT-N PCI Audio & Video MediaBus Card
• PCI-AV264VT PCI Audio & Video MediaBus Card
• PCI-AV264GT PCI Audio & Video MediaBus Card
• PCI-AV264GT/Plus PCI Audio & Video MediaBus Card
The following are MediaBus cards designed for MediaBus 1.2 and therefore
cannot be used on this motherboard:
• PCI-AS7870 Fast/Wide SCSI & Audio MediaBus Card
• PCI-AV264CT PCI Audio & Video MediaBus Card
• PCI-AV868 PCI Audio & Video MediaBus Card
* All the above Audio features Creative Technology, Ltd.
* All the above Video features ATI, Inc. (AV868 Video features S3, Inc.)
* All the above SCSI features Adaptec, Inc.

End just a few seconds after Vetz: 🤣
In the wiki page is a list of boards with possible media bus revision 2.0:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Media_Bus

Reply 10114 of 52811, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found a nice lot on ISA videocards. I know its very hard to find anything good to pop-up nowdays:

1627mn8.jpg

I think that green one on the above left is a Tseng ET4000AX. The VLB card is an OK graphics card.

The other left its a Diamond steath VRAM (i guess its an S3 929 one) (one of the better ones.)

The 8-bit Video 7 is great too of having an VGA port.. And its not a very slow card too.

And two AST graphic cards with Paredise videochip (not the worst one.)

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 10115 of 52811, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:
I found a nice lot on ISA videocards. I know its very hard to find anything good to pop-up nowdays: […]
Show full quote

I found a nice lot on ISA videocards. I know its very hard to find anything good to pop-up nowdays:

1627mn8.jpg

I think that green one on the above left is a Tseng ET4000AX. The VLB card is an OK graphics card.

The other left its a Diamond steath VRAM (i guess its an S3 929 one) (one of the better ones.)

The 8-bit Video 7 is great too of having an VGA port.. And its not a very slow card too.

And two AST graphic cards with Paredise videochip (not the worst one.)

Sweet... Look's nice. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10116 of 52811, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Tseng one should be with ET4000/w32 chipset. There should be a print on the board like: ET4W32-5. This is from memory as the picture is too small to actually read anything 😉

Reply 10117 of 52811, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ASUS Mediabus? Yeah, ASUS is loving copyrighted s**t. 😀
IIRC the main trouble with Mediabus 1.2 was - the slot was incompatible with the PCI 2.1 standard. 4 signals were from the ISA bus.
Mediabus 2.0 have used the standard PCI pinout.
And IIRC there was only 1 MB with Mediabus 1.2: P/I-P55TP4XE. All others use Mediabus 2.0.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 10118 of 52811, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:
ASUS Mediabus? Yeah, ASUS is loving copyrighted s**t. :) IIRC the main trouble with Mediabus 1.2 was - the slot was incompatible […]
Show full quote

ASUS Mediabus? Yeah, ASUS is loving copyrighted s**t. 😀
IIRC the main trouble with Mediabus 1.2 was - the slot was incompatible with the PCI 2.1 standard. 4 signals were from the ISA bus.
Mediabus 2.0 have used the standard PCI pinout.
And IIRC there was only 1 MB with Mediabus 1.2: P/I-P55TP4XE. All others use Mediabus 2.0.

Got a complete Mediabus 1 set now 🤣
I wanted to fit it in an old Packard Bell case however it simply is a bit to large to fit in it physically. 😠
No other case is left empty at my place so I am (again) searching an AT case which is becoming frustrating. Even on the dump hardly a case shows up here. 😵 If anybody in the region around south Netherlands or Aachen-Germany knows where to find such cases then I would be happy to know 🤣

Reply 10119 of 52811, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just found out I own another Asus Mediabus 2.0 board.
I have a ASUS P55T2P4 with an AMD K6-2 oc'ed from 266 to 333mhz somehow and a Diamond Stealth S220 + VooDoo 2 8MB (CT6670) and a Soundblaster 16 ISA (CT2900) + IBM DORS32160 2160MB HDD..

So if I can find an appropriate Mediabus2.0 card then I can give it a home in that system. 🤣