Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 11180 of 52983, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BSA Starfire wrote:

Nice find, the K5 100 is worth at least £10 & the RAM must be worth similar, so nice cheap board, and ATX is always so much easier to handle these days(I do remember when it was the opposite). HX was the performance Intel chipset too, although how much that counts after VIA, SiS and Ali socket 7's i'd not like to say.

Yea Im kind of cheap when it comes to retro gear so Im glad I got the bundle for a decent price. SIMM memory isnt worth anything here in Sweden though if it isnt 32MB 72pin sticks or 4MB 30pin sticks.

There is an ASUS P/I-XP55T2P4 rev 3.0 with CR2032 coin cell in Latvia for $100 and one rev 1.4 (similar to the rev 1.3 I bought) in Russia for $75 on Ebay at the moment in case someone else wants to grab an ATX HX board and isnt super cheap like me. 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11181 of 52983, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
BSA Starfire wrote:

Nice find, the K5 100 is worth at least £10 & the RAM must be worth similar, so nice cheap board, and ATX is always so much easier to handle these days(I do remember when it was the opposite). HX was the performance Intel chipset too, although how much that counts after VIA, SiS and Ali socket 7's i'd not like to say.

Yea Im kind of cheap when it comes to retro gear so Im glad I got the bundle for a decent price. SIMM memory isnt worth anything here in Sweden though if it isnt 32MB 72pin sticks or 4MB 30pin sticks.

There is an ASUS P/I-XP55T2P4 rev 3.0 with CR2032 in Latvia for $100 and one rev 1.4 (similar to the rev 1.3 I bought) in Russia for $75 on Ebay at the moment in case someone else wants to grab an ATX HX board and isnt cheap like me. 😀

I do retro on a tiny budget too, anything over £10 has to really interesting to me.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 11182 of 52983, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BSA Starfire wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
BSA Starfire wrote:

There is an ASUS P/I-XP55T2P4 rev 3.0 with CR2032 in Latvia for $100 and one rev 1.4 (similar to the rev 1.3 I bought) in Russia for $75 on Ebay at the moment in case someone else wants to grab an ATX HX board and isnt cheap like me. 😀

I do retro on a tiny budget too, anything over £10 has to really interesting to me.

Same here.

Reply 11183 of 52983, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ASUS is a nice board. The ATX form factor becomes more and more important as it gets harder to ob- and maintain AT-PSUs. But I think the RTC-module is soldered, ASUS soldered back in the day while Gigabyte for example spent some cents more and used socketed RTC-modules.

However, the ASUS is not the first ATX Board. I think the first ATX board was Intel FX based, made by Intel.
I recently acquired a lot of Intel Advanced / ML (MARL) Motherboards (Intel based, ATX, Intel HX chipset). Featurewise these boards are quite basic (No onboard USB for example). These boards are also very nice for building a DOS / W95 based rig. I like it because of its great build quality, great documentation, good layout and use of a standard CR2032 battery instead of a RTC module with glued-in battery.

Here is a picture of the Intel MARL board:

intel_advanced_ml_2.jpg
Filename
intel_advanced_ml_2.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File comment
Intel Advanced / ML (MARL)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm building a P200 rig with it, along with a Miro Highscore 3D (licensed Canopus Pure 3D card) and a Riva or a Savage or Matrox Mystique card.

Last edited by FGB on 2016-03-23, 22:42. Edited 4 times in total.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 11184 of 52983, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FGB wrote:
The ASUS is a nice board. The ATX form factor becomes more and more important as it gets harder to ob- and maintain AT-PSUs. But […]
Show full quote

The ASUS is a nice board. The ATX form factor becomes more and more important as it gets harder to ob- and maintain AT-PSUs. But I think the RTC-module is soldered, ASUS soldered back in the day while Gigabyte for example spend some cents more and used socketed RTC-modules.

However, the ASUS is not the first ATX Board. I think the first ATX board was Intel FX based, made by Intel.
I recently acquired a lot of Intel Advanced / ML (MARL) Motherboards (Intel based, ATX, Intel HX chipset). These boards are also very nice for building a DOS / W95 based rig. I like it because of its good layout and use of a standard CR2032 battery instead of a RTC module with glued-in battery.

Here is a picture of the Intel MARL board:

I'm building a P200 rig with it, along with a Miro Highscore 3D (licensed Canopus Pure 3D card) and a Riva or a Savage card.

That Intel Advanced / ML (MARL) looks sweet.

After doing some digging it seems rev 1.3 of the ASUS P/I-XP55T2P4 was the first (public) revsion and released early 1996 along with the i430HX chipset.

Cpu-upgrade.com mentions a Rev.1.2 and the Rev.3.0 but not the Rev.1.3 or the Rev.1.4. I cant find any evidence indicating that any revison 1.2 boards ever were releaed to the public so I think the one who wrote that information got it wrong.

There is no support for dual voltage on these early revsions but I have a socket adapter and there is BIOS support even for the K6-3. 😀 The board will probably run a P200 though.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-03-23, 22:46. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11185 of 52983, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this this morning for $12.50 US. going to pair it with my AMD DX-40. It didn't occur to me until after the fact that it's a 33MHz part and not the 40MHz version, but hopefully shouldn't be a problem. For the price I can't complain.

CyrixFasMath386_zpsteiztnjx.jpg

Reply 11186 of 52983, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got theese two boards yesterday with CPU's. The Duron came "prechipped", but the board works with another CPU. 😀

ABITx2.jpg
Filename
ABITx2.jpg
File size
543.79 KiB
Views
File license

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 11187 of 52983, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FGB wrote:

Love your photos, FGB - always a please to analyse (no blur, crystal clear). Anatomically, I would have thought that a dead giveaway of earlier ATX boards would be those with AT & ATX power connectors. I guess not based on a comparison of this board and the ATX pictured above. Both boards have a similar layout though, if you consider the position of the ports and of the RAM sockets - I don't think I've seen the RAM slots sandwiched between the PCI slots and the CPU socket before and now I've seen 2!

FGB wrote:

I'm building a P200 rig with it, along with a Miro Highscore 3D (licensed Canopus Pure 3D card) and a Riva or a Savage or Matrox Mystique card.

I'm looking forward to some photos and benchmarking results 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 11188 of 52983, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice ATX board, you're already selling it on eBay 😀

I like that it can down to 75 MHz. Is that using a FSB of 50 MHz and 1.5 multiplier?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11189 of 52983, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Brickpad, there's the asynchronous mode on most boards as well, in case your NPU does not like 40MHz frequency 😀 Or you could swap the OSC to 66MHz and convert your whole 386 to 33MHz operation.

Reply 11190 of 52983, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Nice ATX board, you're already selling it on eBay 😀

I like that it can down to 75 MHz. Is that using a FSB of 50 MHz and 1.5 multiplier?

Yes, I got a bunch of them, of course I don't need them all in my private collection. So I just keep one for my rig and one spare and sell the others.

I can confirm the 75Mhz Pentium works with 50MHz host clock * 1,5 multi on the Intel Advanced / ML. With a good heatsink one can cool those thingys passive, no problem at all. Of course you don't need a 75MHz part, one can also clock down faster parts like the 100, 120 or 133MHz.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 11191 of 52983, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FGB wrote:

P_20160319_194151.jpg
Filename
P_20160319_194151.jpg
File size
4.07 MiB
Views
File license

I have this in my p166 rig, really nice to have a proper atx s7 board 😀

The only problem I have is that I cant get it to post with a k5 in it.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 11194 of 52983, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

That Athlon fits right in there 🤣

Well funny you should mention that, the initially I contacted the seller for 2x Athlon X2 CPUS (for my experimental XP rig) and I asked him if he had any older computer parts , to which he responded with a list as long as my arm with older hardware, seeing as it was a local seller and shipping was flat rate, I got a bit carried away 🤣

Everything was R25-30 each so $1.50 to $2 🤣 including the Athlon cpus , Sound Blaster and 386 motherboard 🤣

Reply 11195 of 52983, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this little guy in the mail yesterday:

WYbJHKml.jpg

CcpxxMGl.jpg

4aYSw0Yl.jpg

Siemens Nixdorf Scenic C5 PRO 166 - 166MHz pentium non-mxx, 32mb of ram, voodoo 1 and ymf-719 isa sound card. It came with a 1.2GB WD HDD witch I wapped for a 4GB quantum. The CD-ROM and floppy drive were dead so I replaced them with whatever I had on hand. The pics were taken after cleaning and testing.

Besides the Siemens PC, I bought (same seller) a "defective" 486. Here's the case it came in (cleaned and sorted of course).

WQLK4val.jpg

This little guy is a 100MHz intel DX4. It came with an obvious shuttle HOT-433 mainboard, 16mb of EDO dram, a Trident 9000i ISA video card (a weird slim version with EDO vram) and a dead 500mb connor HDD.
Seller advertised it as defective, but upon inspection it turns out the AT PSU sleads were installed in revers order (black on the outside). Luckily the AT case's button was defective (it would not click in place) so after replacing the power switch and correctly installing the PSU conntector leads (black in the middle) it fired right up.

Reply 11196 of 52983, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FaSMaN wrote:

Everything was R25-30 each so $1.50 to $2 🤣 including the Athlon cpus , Sound Blaster and 386 motherboard 🤣

Very nice!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11197 of 52983, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Got this little guy in the mail yesterday:

Siemens Nixdorf Scenic C5 PRO 166 - 166MHz pentium non-mxx, 32mb of ram, voodoo 1 and ymf-719 isa sound card. It came with a 1.2GB WD HDD witch I wapped for a 4GB quantum. The CD-ROM and floppy drive were dead so I replaced them with whatever I had on hand. The pics were taken after cleaning and testing.

Nice catch,remember i had played with Siemens Nixdorf Scenic Pro D5,Siemens made pretty compact and solid machines tho

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 11198 of 52983, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love it. Unlike some OEM machines, this one comes with a regular size AT power supply - the only difference is that "power good", one 5v, one ground and -12v seem to be routed to another small connector so that the mainboard can turn the machine on and off ATX style - it also comes with 2xPCI, 2x ISA and one coast slot with 256k installed - 4x72 pin simm modules, two IDE sockets for up to 4 drives and it has mounting space for two disk drives and a CD-ROM.

The CPU I got it with is not the machine's original CPU - this one originally came with a 133MHZ pentium (said so on a label inside) witch was later upgraded to 166 - that or the original CPU failed. Also, as far as I remember, the stock CPU should have had a heatsink glued to it, and a tiny fan to the side blowing on it. I'm thinking maybe the fan failed and killed the CPU, and someone bought a boxed retail pentium 166 to replace it...

Reply 11199 of 52983, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought these (retro) hardware (magazines?) today
BOOT magazine, the precursor to Maximum PC - various issues from 1996-1998 include the very first issue in mint condition! Been after these for a while for some nostalgic reading. I love looking at all the old adverts in these too!
lPwn4U.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg