Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

a plain socket to protect the pins?

This. Good eye though!

Wow! What a haul. Happy Easter!
I have been collecting 3dfx for over 10 years now and never got the chance to buy any merch.

Reply 11241 of 52940, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a near-dismantled Acer Travelmate 800. Came with 2GBs of RAM (for no reason...?),and it has a Centrino/Pentium M 1.7GHz CPU.

Took me about a hour to build it,since I had to dig up my old 10GB laptop HDD (IBM).

Cute laptop,and it's pretty robust. Also,the lid seems to be made of something metallic. (Zinc?)

It's been made for XP apparently,as the sticker claims so. The battery surprisingly still holds up,but not for really long (about 30 minutes-1 hour). It has a WiFi card,which is just what I needed. Apparently,you don't need some fancy HD laptop (my Aspire 5349,which currently has a broken LCD) to browse internet,and 1 GB is MORE than enough for XP SP3. Hope Flash doesn't slow it down so much,as the chipset is Intel i855PM (or so it read)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 11242 of 52940, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought these today.

A Radeon X850XTPE, ~6 euro + ~6 euro shipping.

Radeon X850XTPR. The sellers picture.

Radeon_X850XTPE.jpg
Filename
Radeon_X850XTPE.jpg
File size
68.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

DTK COMPUTER INC, PEM-2530 386 motherboard with an Intel SX218 386DX-25 CPU, a soldered RTC-module with a dead battery and what looks like 4MB SIPP memory. 25 euro + 13 euro shipping.

I wanted an early 386 motherboard and while this isn't a super early board it's older than most 386 boards you see on Ebay. The two BIOS chips are marked 1988 so the board is likely manufactured 1988 or 1989 and the CPU seems to be manufactured week 17 1990?. This motherboard model was used in the Datatech Enterprises "KEEN-2530 25MHz 286™ SYSTEM"* and probably other OEM systems. I do not know the origin of the board I bought other than it comes from the sellers " Childhood 386 computer".

*My guess is that the system was first released with a 286 motherboard and while a later ~1990 revison got a 386 motheboard they kept the 286 name and just added "25MHz" as the 386 had a reputation for having bugs. (The CPU on the board I bought is the bug free version though)

DTK COMPUTER INC, PEM-2530. The sellers pictures.

DTK COMPUTER, INC.PEM-2530_386_motherboard.JPG
Filename
DTK COMPUTER, INC.PEM-2530_386_motherboard.JPG
File size
711.48 KiB
Views
File license
DTK COMPUTER, INC.PEM-2530_386_BIOS_Chips_and_CPU.JPG
Filename
DTK COMPUTER, INC.PEM-2530_386_BIOS_Chips_and_CPU.JPG
File size
337.84 KiB
Views
File license

I few minuts ago I also bought a new old stock boxed TechnoPlus AudioSound 8 "Sound Machine", a rebrand of the Sound Blaster 2.0. It seems to be a CT1350B without sockets for CMS chips, the price was 38.5 euro + 6.7 euro shipping.

TechnoPlus_SoundMachine_SB2.0_boxed.JPG
Filename
TechnoPlus_SoundMachine_SB2.0_boxed.JPG
File size
402.87 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-03-27, 20:22. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11244 of 52940, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:
GeForce 8800 Ultra - XFX OC variant - 650 MHz GPU :happy: […]
Show full quote

GeForce 8800 Ultra - XFX OC variant - 650 MHz GPU 😀

pict19547hsro.jpg
pict1957xcsa5.jpg

That card was always the sexy card that everyone lusted after in the late 2000s 😀

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 11245 of 52940, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Woohoo... I've had some great purchases lately.

Just stumbled upon this one 5 minutes ago on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281980446107?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Immediately noticed an old soundblaster, turns out its a CT1600 Sound Blaster Pro 2, there's a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (easy to spot) and my personal favorite would be the Quantum 3D Raven PCI... holy cow, that's a tough one to find! 😀

On top of that are some misc sound cards and such, one being a Turtle Beach Montego or Montego II... either of which is worth picking up.

And just the other day I managed to nab this lot:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111935609988?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone with an eye for old video cards would spot the one at the top. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11246 of 52940, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Woohoo... I've had some great purchases lately. […]
Show full quote

Immediately noticed an old soundblaster, turns out its a CT1600 Sound Blaster Pro 2, there's a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (easy to spot) and my personal favorite would be the Quantum 3D Raven PCI... holy cow, that's a tough one to find! 😀

On top of that are some misc sound cards and such, one being a Turtle Beach Montego or Montego II... either of which is worth picking up.

Daaamn! That's some good finds and deals!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 11247 of 52940, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Show full quote

Yeah, this is getting terribly addicting. I'll be honest, I am going to try to make some money reselling this stuff. I'm a PC repair tech who is being replaced by disposable mobile devices, so I'm thinking that finding and reselling old hardware might be a "thing" for me to make a little bit of money using what I thought was useless and outdated knowledge of old hardware.

I just saw this one and noticed lots of neat old chips on this board...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281981195376?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It was so incredibly cheap that I couldn't help my curiosity, so I bought it.

What do you guys think... does it look like anything? I know the WD MFM controller can be a good thing to have (even if it doesn't work it might be useful to repair another one that I have that doesn't work), but that big board has so much stuff on it... if its worthless I could still probably harvest a bunch of chips to resell or reuse.

Reply 11248 of 52940, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Yeah, this is getting terribly addicting. I'll be honest, I am going to try to make some money reselling this stuff. I'm a PC re […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Show full quote

Yeah, this is getting terribly addicting. I'll be honest, I am going to try to make some money reselling this stuff. I'm a PC repair tech who is being replaced by disposable mobile devices, so I'm thinking that finding and reselling old hardware might be a "thing" for me to make a little bit of money using what I thought was useless and outdated knowledge of old hardware.

I just saw this one and noticed lots of neat old chips on this board...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281981195376?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It was so incredibly cheap that I couldn't help my curiosity, so I bought it.

What do you guys think... does it look like anything? I know the WD MFM controller can be a good thing to have (even if it doesn't work it might be useful to repair another one that I have that doesn't work), but that big board has so much stuff on it... if its worthless I could still probably harvest a bunch of chips to resell or reuse.

That motherboard looks interesting, it looks like a industrial 286 board with only 8bit slots, perhaps it's a board for an 80188 CPU? The CPU is manufactured by AMD in any case.

The MFM controller covers most of the auction price and shipping cost so if you can get the motherboard going it will be a really sweet deal. Otherwise the rest of the chips, some of it DIP memory will still make it a decent deal.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11249 of 52940, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

That's a Tandy 1000TL motherboard. I'd be willing to take that off your hands if you decide to dispose of it...

Reply 11250 of 52940, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:

<deleted>

Not surehow to delete a post?

I think there's a button next to the quote/report options... Hold on I'll post this then edit and check.

Edit: Yep, the DEL button to the right of the Edit button.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11251 of 52940, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:
keenerb wrote:

<deleted>

I think there's a button next to the quote/report options... Hold on I'll post this then edit and check.

Maybe I'm too new. I don't have a delete button.

Reply 11252 of 52940, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:

Wow! What a haul. Happy Easter!

Thanks! Same to you (and everyone else celebrating today).

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 11253 of 52940, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:
HighTreason wrote:
keenerb wrote:

<deleted>

Maybe I'm too new. I don't have a delete button.

It seems to disappear when the post is no longer the latest in the thread. As soon as someone replies, the option goes away, I never noticed before. Doesn't matter too much, it's not like the post is breaking anything or causing any real annoyance to anyone... well... unless maybe they have major OCD or something.

Edit:
I just paid for a Pentium I bought some time ago and didn't pay for... oops. The guy doesn't seem mad about it anyway, so I hope he's not, I suppose after over a decade of doing this stuff I was bound to slip up eventually and I did have good reasons with all the crap going on at the moment, not least of which I was tied down with hospital - though I was there for good reasons, it still managed to push almost everything else out of my head for a while. Anyway, this Pentium, it is an SX837 which is rated for 66MHz operation, it is a gold top version of the processor. I could overclock one of my 60MHz models to that speed but as it raises the voltage and the chips are becoming rare and expensive (Especially FDIV chips) I would rather not tempt fate, especially given their tendency to run hot in the first place.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11254 of 52940, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenerb wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

That's a Tandy 1000TL motherboard. I'd be willing to take that off your hands if you decide to dispose of it...

Thank you for helping me identify it! A Google image search for that does turn up similar looking boards. If I can't find another reason to keep it, I'll keep you in mind.

I also have a lot of other stuff from this era that I've posted in this thread:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?510 … s-Pots-Caps-etc

One item in particular would be (what I've been told is) a TRS-80 Model II back plane. A have several MFM hard drives that are tested and working as well.

... but this probably isn't the place for further discussion like this, so I'll leave it to PMs. 😀

Reply 11255 of 52940, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't have em here yet, but I just bought a pair of nVidia Quadro FX-3400's from ebay, which seem to be equilivant to GeForce 6800 GT cards.

I haven't been able to find a matching pair of GT's in PCIE format for years, I've been looking.. fine one or the other but never two similar. And even then the prices were not what I would of considered reasonable for even one so far, given their age.

So I got both of these quadro cards for $25 total for the pair with free shipping. I'll post a photo when they arrive. I'm planning to first try them in my i7-3770k system to set some benchmark records with em for hwbot.org, then try and revive em and use em in my AMD 939 Asus K8N-SLI-Deluxe system, and see about getting a new CPU for it, probably a single core for now. I think the last one I had fried and gave out running at 2.75 ghz.

A friend of mine tells me they should be SLI capable in normal systems, and there's a Win7 x64 driver for em on nvidia.com so we'll see what happens.

I'm interested in exploring GeForce 6xxx SLI scaling performance myself in a system where there's no cpu/bus bottleneck.

EDIT: Below.

nforce4max wrote:
havli wrote:

GeForce 8800 Ultra - XFX OC variant - 650 MHz GPU 😀

<snip> images

That card was always the sexy card that everyone lusted after in the late 2000s 😀

https://web.archive.org/web/20070707061013/ht … 1&pronameid=352

This was "The one to lust after" that I remember dreaming of, the fastest stock-clocked 8800 Ultra ever sold. 684 clock and 1161 memory.

Also factory water cooled with weird integrated block thing.

And then there was this one, the fastest air-cooled one: http://www.xgcdb.com/cards/xfx/geforce-8800-u … -t80u-shd9.html

I can't find much information on it on google, but it was clocked at 675 Mhz core, and 1150 Mhz memory.

Last edited by kithylin on 2016-03-28, 00:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11256 of 52940, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Show full quote

Congratulations!
Those are nice Voodoos! The Voodoo 5 5500 PCI is an absolute bargain 😁

Reply 11257 of 52940, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just won a Tandy 1000RL Hard Drive desktop, and the accompanying ps/2 Tandy keyboard and mouse.

After I found my yard-sale 1000TX I decided I'd grab one of each Tandy 1000 style; next is an EX/HX...

Reply 11258 of 52940, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote:
Show full quote

Quantum raven voodoo card, v5 pci plus other goodies for like $50. I think I speak for the majority when I say; "f--- you, you f---ing f---". But seriously, NICE SCORE! hell the v5 is worth 3x what you paid for everything!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11259 of 52940, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Believe me, these things don't happen to me often... and I spend a lot of time scouring eBay.

The V5 PCI does have a broken SMD cap that is nearly impossible to identify, but with the help of others here I have ordered my best guess replacement part. The fans are likely shot as well, so the whole thing could be dead, but even dead its worth more than I paid for it... and with all that I got a pretty decent AOpen board (needs most of its caps replaced but that's half done already) that had a 1GHz P3 installed, with a decent copper-base cooler, an SBLive and the IO cover for the board. Not bad at all. 😀

I also got a pile of cards from a scrapper on craigslist last week. All I had to see was the stack of video cards from the back and the one with male and female VGA ports was obviously a Voodoo 1 or 2. I bought 10 cards for $20 shipped, the voodoo turned out to be an STB Voodoo 2 12MB (which will match one that I have already in a mixed vendor SLI setup), and there were a couple of other neat old cards, like a Diamond Riva 128 and a few older ATI cards.

I managed to also get an original blue Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 (just like the one I bought on eBay in 2001!) and a Labway Yamaha XG YMF724V card for $20 shipped.

In another one, that wasnt quite as much of a steal, but I'm still happy to have gotten, I picked up a W6BXA-0 (generic?) 440BX board with a socket-slot adapter (with a celeron 400), a cooler, 640MB of SDRAM, a couple of cheap PCI sound cards and a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP for $40 shipped.

Basically, I've bought way too much lately. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I want to hold on to and what I want to sell off ASAP... because its starting to accumulate faster than I had planned. I can't help it if I keep finding amazing deals. 😮