Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 11440 of 52966, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote:

So, apart from obtaining two Phillips SAA-1099 chips and a GAL16v8 chip, what else should one look out for on a Sound Blaster 2.0 sound card in order to achieve CMS compatibility?
Why wouldn't the CT1336A chip work?

See Great Hierophants blog for reference.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.se/2013/06/th … ms-upgrade.html

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11442 of 52966, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

<Snip>

No cache, but as it's going on a 42MHz system the BUS speed should make up for it a bit. It's not going to matter too much anyway.

Caching boards are so hard to find anyway. Good luck with this - the presence of the >33MHz jumper is always a welcome sign on a VLB board! Would be interesting to see how it compares with PCI 😀

Thing is, there were three when I had looked two hours previously and when I came back, they were all gone. I wasn't that bothered, the only reason I even noticed was because one of them was only $5 more than the one I got.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11443 of 52966, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This babe finally arrived today,if i correct it's PCCHIPS M216 comes together with 20 mhz Harris cpu and 10 mhz Amd fpu,cant wait till obtain ide controller and give it a try.
Posts well btw and seems some leaking battery was removed just before selling.

khrJ2wOl.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 11445 of 52966, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:

This babe finally arrived today

if only computers had warm curvy cases ;>

rein_ein wrote:

it's PCCHIPS M216 comes together with 20 mhz Harris cpu and 10 mhz Amd fpu

so what can or will you actually run with this?

Reply 11446 of 52966, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrau wrote:
if only computers had warm curvy cases ;> […]
Show full quote
rein_ein wrote:

This babe finally arrived today

if only computers had warm curvy cases ;>

rein_ein wrote:

it's PCCHIPS M216 comes together with 20 mhz Harris cpu and 10 mhz Amd fpu

so what can or will you actually run with this?

Oh yeah i almost forgot i'm running out of AT cases.
I'm thinking about W3.1 + some Doom and Quake for start 😀

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 11447 of 52966, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

That is a sweet 286 dude - fastest one I have is a 16mhz AMD.

I also grabbed from goldscraper pair of 286 before,one 12 mhz intel and 10mhz amd gonna test if they work

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 11448 of 52966, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys, I'm so excited, again.

As I said before, I found a nice Colani enclosure not so far from where I live. I talked with the owner and visited him this evening.

When he opened the machine, my eyes just popped out.

I bought the whole computer. And here it is:

- AMD K5 PR 90;
- 64 MB RAM
- 3 HDD Drives
- 5,25 and 1.44 drive
- Sony CD ROM from
- S3 Trio
And it all does not matter a thing.

What matters is this:

b2njp2e2a93w_t.jpg

GRAVIS ULTRASOUND REV 3.73!

Paid 15 USD for all the stuff.

I AM SO EXCITED!

Reply 11449 of 52966, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tikoellner wrote:
Guys, I'm so excited, again. […]
Show full quote

As I said before, I found a nice Colani enclosure not so far from where I live. I talked with the owner and visited him this evening.

- AMD K5 PR 90;
- 64 MB RAM
- 3 HDD Drives
- 5,25 and 1.44 drive
- Sony CD ROM from
- S3 Trio

What matters is this:

b2njp2e2a93w_t.jpg

I AM SO EXCITED!

Awesome find. Kinda how I felt when I got a bunch of "old junk" from a friend free and it had my Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 card in it. 😁

Reply 11450 of 52966, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 11451 of 52966, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:
Guys, I'm so excited, again. […]
Show full quote

- AMD K5 PR 90;
- 64 MB RAM
- 3 HDD Drives
- 5,25 and 1.44 drive
- Sony CD ROM from
- S3 Trio

What matters is this:

I AM SO EXCITED!

Nice find!

1982 to 2001

Reply 11452 of 52966, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I took out an ad to look for Socket A hardware. Not much success with that, but somebody did offer an Socket A system with an Asus A7V motherboard. Which is also nice, that's a real classic! I got it today, it's in a nice bigtower, and also with an ATI Radeon 8500 😀 That's a card I have owned myself for quite some time!

Also included: a Soundblaster Live!; memory; Philips 48x CDROM; FDD and network adapter (Realtek I think). The CPU is a 'pin modded' Duron (the previous owner was proud his system and wanted to tell a lot about it 😀 with a Spire cooler).

I like it a lot!

w5qqWd8l.jpg

JO29k3Kl.jpg

BwEhUNGl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 11453 of 52966, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tikoellner wrote:
What matters is this: […]
Show full quote

What matters is this:

b2njp2e2a93w_t.jpg

I AM SO EXCITED!

Holy cow.... At that price 😳

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11454 of 52966, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

the previous owner was proud his system and wanted to tell a lot about it

Yeah.... That's understandable with that load of dust inside. Must be really proud, yeah!!! 🤣

Joking aside.
Yeah. It is a nice system, and the case can hold a lot of stuff, wich is nice.
Good catch. Just that it really need some cleaning and some cablemanagement love.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11455 of 52966, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought this motherboard some time ago and got it yesterday, I think HighTreason recognizes the model. 😀

The board was declared to be in perfect shape with the lastest BIOS, 3x 128MB memory and a single P2 400 were included. As often things are not as perfect as the seller believes, if Ebay sellers only could take better pictures then ones taken by 10 old phones much grief could be avoided. The board is equipped with 6 "NRSY green" capacitors, a known bad series. 3 caps are bulged, two are dodgy and one looks ok but is probably also in need of replacement.

I fully understand that the seller missed the bad caps, if your are not awere about the cap issue they are not always that easy to spot when they are not leaking. The motherboard also seem to work fine with one P3 Katmai 600 but it freezes (or just gets stuck without freezing) after post at the moment it finds a bootable drive and wont even load DOS with two P3 Katmai 600 installed. Im not fully convinced it's because the 6 bad NRSY green caps, I need to do more testing. I have also not yet decided if I will try to ask the seller for partial refund or not, in any case I want to keep the board. The price for the board was £40 + £14 shipping which is very reasonable if it would have been flawless.

The board is fully 3D stable in Windows XP with a single P3 Katmai 600 and a Quadro 4 980 XGL.

Supermicro Super P6DGU i440GX dual Slot-1. Notice the bad "NRSY green" caps around the AGP slot, there is also one by the 6 pin secondary power connector (behind the memory) and one by the BIOS chip.

Supermicro P6DGU.JPG
Filename
Supermicro P6DGU.JPG
File size
4.37 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-04-05, 23:23. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 11456 of 52966, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First you steal my processors and then to add insult to injury you buy the board I was going to plug them into. 😠 😜

I've never actually seen another "GU" out there. A few "GE" and "BU" models but never another "GU" like mine, it is a good board. Oddly, the caps are still good on mine. Try the P2 again, because if it's a really old version of the BIOS it might not start if it lacks the CPU microcode, SuperMicro did some strange things to the way it handles that. Probably isn't it if you're actually seeing a POST but worth a try. Also don''t forget the AUX power next to the RAM, it won't like you if you don't have that connected.

The board can be stubborn about starting if you do something it isn't comfortable with, but in those cases it generally doesn't POST, so the caps would definitely be top suspect to me unless someone has overclocked the chipset with inadequate cooling.

I win anyway, because when I bought mine I got free stuff. The guy who sold me it (many years ago now) forgot to sent the SCSI cables and driver disk along with other things, I told him I didn't care but he mailed it anyway along with a load of chocolate bars and stuff... I checked them thoroughly for poison, but they were fine.

Reply 11457 of 52966, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rein_ein wrote:
This babe finally arrived today,if i correct it's PCCHIPS M216 comes together with 20 mhz Harris cpu and 10 mhz Amd fpu,cant wai […]
Show full quote

This babe finally arrived today,if i correct it's PCCHIPS M216 comes together with 20 mhz Harris cpu and 10 mhz Amd fpu,cant wait till obtain ide controller and give it a try.
Posts well btw and seems some leaking battery was removed just before selling.

khrJ2wOl.jpg

I have a feeling that despite it being 20MHz the whole system might be slow, in fact slower than fast 16MHz 286 boards.

Reply 11458 of 52966, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
First you steal my processors and then to add insult to injury you buy the board I was going to plug them into. >:( :P […]
Show full quote

First you steal my processors and then to add insult to injury you buy the board I was going to plug them into. 😠 😜

I've never actually seen another "GU" out there. A few "GE" and "BU" models but never another "GU" like mine, it is a good board. Oddly, the caps are still good on mine. Try the P2 again, because if it's a really old version of the BIOS it might not start if it lacks the CPU microcode, SuperMicro did some strange things to the way it handles that. Probably isn't it if you're actually seeing a POST but worth a try. Also don''t forget the AUX power next to the RAM, it won't like you if you don't have that connected.

The board can be stubborn about starting if you do something it isn't comfortable with, but in those cases it generally doesn't POST, so the caps would definitely be top suspect to me unless someone has overclocked the chipset with inadequate cooling.

I win anyway, because when I bought mine I got free stuff. The guy who sold me it (many years ago now) forgot to sent the SCSI cables and driver disk along with other things, I told him I didn't care but he mailed it anyway along with a load of chocolate bars and stuff... I checked them thoroughly for poison, but they were fine.

The board has the latest BIOS and as a single Katmai P3 600 works I think the issue is something else. The board posts to BIOS with two 600 Mhz CPUs without issue, it finds the HDD and the CD but it gets stuck as soon as it finds a boot record, regardless if its on the CD, floppy or HDD, it's very odd. I agree that the caps are the main suspects.

I have lots of Katmai Slot-1 CPUs so I will try some other ones and if that wont work I will try two PII 400. I do not think it's a PSU issue as the motherboard behaves exactly the same with a Corsair AX1200 connected to only the main power connector as with a PSU from the same time period as the motherboard connected to both the main power connector and the 6 pin secondary "AUX power" one. The 3.3V and 5V voltages are more steady in the hardware monitor in the BIOS setup using the old PSU with the extra 6 pin connector attached so I also think the board needs this to be fully stable, at least when I start adding more cards.

For now I'm running benchmarks with a single P3 600, oddly enough it seems faster than all my other i440BX/GX boards.

Reply 11459 of 52966, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is a speedy board. Some things start to fall off a bit once you approach the 1GHz marker, but it's a 440GX so that is to be expected. I need to fix mine, it still has some ancient virus on it, I was thinking of re-installing both Windows versions anyway and dropping back to 98SE/2K (Currently uses 98SE/XP) because it seems more appropriate and the XP install is pretty messy after bodging it to run Vegas for so long last year.

Oh, god, that's a good point. My Pentium D had its birthday on April 2nd, damn it's old, I need that Xeon.