Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12020 of 52970, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Bought a SCSI DVD-R on eBay: IDE is dead and SCSI CD-ROMs have trouble with CD-R(W)s apparently.

I've noticed that! I have a 40x plextor (scsi) and it absolutely refuses to read cd-r disks. I wonder if its fixable in a firmware upgrade?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12021 of 52970, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:

Got boxed AWE64 Gold today, with user manuals, drivers, etc. locally in my hometown.

Mint condition and very cheap, which makes it a very satysfying deal.

Nice find!

1982 to 2001

Reply 12022 of 52970, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I've noticed that! I have a 40x plextor (scsi) and it absolutely refuses to read cd-r disks. I wonder if its fixable in a firmware upgrade?

i heard such a rumour, the scsi optical drives are engineered not to accept pirated software (read: cd-r); i love when the industry thinks it is doing sth good that will not hurt the user-the responsible people should be behind bars for cheating millions of people;

Reply 12023 of 52970, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now, let's be reasonable: they never claimed to support cd-r and the customers voluntarily bought the drives. Nobody got cheated. Nobody should be put in prison because they sold a cd drive that doesn't support cd-r.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12024 of 52970, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

dont get me wrong keenmaster486, some things become standard and are therefore just an obvious functionality of new devices; you need to write if you do not follow standards that are considered "obvious"; there are countries in europe where this can be legally enforced - to this degree it is sth that everyone would expect

Reply 12025 of 52970, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, I overreacted and I do get what you're saying... they absolutely should have supported cd-r since it was standard at the time.
I just don't think that standards should be legally enforced necessarily (except for some safety standards). It is the responsibility of the consumer to check that the product is what he thinks it is (this, btw, is one of the beauties of the Internet) and of course a few customers out there will get burned, but that's much more efficient than appointed officials deciding arbitrarily what shall be "standard" and what shall not be. Standards show up in the first place because of the buying choices of you, me, and the next person.

But now I'm spouting off on an off-topic, irrelevant rant 😊

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12028 of 52970, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:

Nah, what's even better are the laptop drives that work with DVD-RWs but not DVD+RWs...

That's basically a problem of patents: DVD-R and DVD+R use different pools of patents, many companies pay/are part of/promote one or the other; my first DVD unit was an LG that can only read DVD-R and my first burner was a high quality NEC that reads and writes both formats... but does a much better job with DVD-R... but can only write DVD+RW 😕

Reply 12030 of 52970, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

Bought a SCSI DVD-R on eBay: IDE is dead and SCSI CD-ROMs have trouble with CD-R(W)s apparently.

also, I just found a 1.14 firmware update. mine was 1.10. Seemed to help! at least in NT I was able to read burned disks just fine. Jury is out on dos. It might just be my scsi card being a jerk.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12031 of 52970, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shiva2004 wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:

Nah, what's even better are the laptop drives that work with DVD-RWs but not DVD+RWs...

That's basically a problem of patents: DVD-R and DVD+R use different pools of patents, many companies pay/are part of/promote one or the other; my first DVD unit was an LG that can only read DVD-R and my first burner was a high quality NEC that reads and writes both formats... but does a much better job with DVD-R... but can only write DVD+RW 😕

Yeah, I know about the mini format war - doesn't make it any less annoying! It only seems to be a small handful of those drives - even some of my early DVD laptop drives have no issues.

Reply 12032 of 52970, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got a MSI 845E Max. It was in a rough shape - ripped VRM heatsinks,missing NB heatsink,5 bulged (and leaking as well) KZG caps. I have some pics,however they're from the beginning of the repair and from the end,tgus the missing caps in the first pic..And sorry for the darkness in the second,but I am low on battery so flash gets diaabled...

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 12033 of 52970, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Somebody dropped this in the e-waste bin so I snagged it with a quickness. Interesting little machine! Documentation I found online says that the system supports 100MHz FSB CPU's, but at the time of the systems' release, none existsed. 🤣!

Oh, it's a Soyo LI-7000 LPX System.

Attachments

• IMG_20160513_161918.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20160513_161918.jpg
    File size
    1.27 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Cirrus Logic CLVGA54PCI
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20160513_161122.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20160513_161122.jpg
    File size
    1023.74 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Small, even by todays standards.
    File license
  • IMG_20160513_161014.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20160513_161014.jpg
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Looks like the onboard stuff has Composite and S-video
    File license
  • IMG_20160513_160942.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20160513_160942.jpg
    File size
    938.05 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Soyo LI-7000 LPX
    File license

Reply 12034 of 52970, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An awesome person has donated these graphics cards to my Windows 98 SE benchmarking project. A lot of them are early 3D accelerators which is quite interesting.

VXXhjSBh.jpg?1

4CByz6Zh.jpg?1

ziIQCxlh.jpg?1

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12035 of 52970, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

An awesome person has donated these graphics cards to my Windows 98 SE benchmarking project. A lot of them are early 3D accelerators which is quite interesting.

What a nice diverse bunch of cards!

1982 to 2001

Reply 12036 of 52970, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just wanted to install XP SP3 on my MSI 845E Max...and this popped up 🤣

In case you ask,it's not fake at all.

Cards pictured:

Pixelview FX5500 128M
some generic RTL8139 NIC
Avance Logic ALS4000 PCI sound card

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 12037 of 52970, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:

Somebody dropped this in the e-waste bin so I snagged it with a quickness. Interesting little machine! Documentation I found online says that the system supports 100MHz FSB CPU's, but at the time of the systems' release, none existsed. 🤣!

Very nice little Pentuim 3 , there is something extremely appealing about these small computers, it has 1x pci which is just good enough for a Voodoo 2, sadly the manual doesnt specify what sound card it has or what integrated video....

http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/107/mli700010.pdf

Reply 12038 of 52970, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FaSMaN wrote:
Logistics wrote:

Very nice little Pentuim 3 , there is something extremely appealing about these small computers, it has 1x pci which is just good enough for a Voodoo 2, sadly the manual doesnt specify what sound card it has or what integrated video....

http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/107/mli700010.pdf

Pretty sure they are both Intel integrated products--an Intel AC97 codec and the video subsystem built into the 82810 controller.