Reply 12380 of 52760, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Think 14 ISA slots are enough? 😀

well, just remember you only have so many IRQ's to go around 😀

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 12381 of 52760, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

It will work as fast as the CPU can deliver the data. Depends on what you want to run on P-120. In the end you can always change the CPU for something faster - P233MMX at least or some form of K6-2/3 if the motherboard has support.

I've managed to find the Manual for the board and the highest CPU it will accept is a P166. I think i will stick with the P120, try the Banshee and see how it performs. Thankfully the board is in great condition. Looking forward to testing it.

Reply 12382 of 52760, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought something really special today, I won't say what it is until it arrives but it is from EVGA and it is one of only 103 made. Finally I get to own something that is more rare than a V5 6000.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12383 of 52760, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BloodyCactus wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Think 14 ISA slots are enough? 😀

well, just remember you only have so many IRQ's to go around 😀

Meh. Full steam ahead, and damn the IRQs. 😀

In other news, I ordered a socket 478 heatsink. I know, very exciting right?

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12384 of 52760, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

Bought something really special today, I won't say what it is until it arrives but it is from EVGA and it is one of only 103 made. Finally I get to own something that is more rare than a V5 6000.

You found a 1080 that was in stock?

Reply 12385 of 52760, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got one half of a very nice little lot today - the electronic bit. Still waiting on the software part though!

elZxs74l.jpg

A Sony Vaio PCG-SR31K, the third in this family that I've owned (I also have the SR1K and SR21K), complete with its original PCMCIA CD-ROM drive. It has a 750 MHz Pentium III CPU, 128MB of RAM, the original 15GB HDD (so original that I even found a photograph of someone's national insurance card... seriously, that's awful data security!) and a fairly capable 8MB S3 Savage graphics chip. I'm also supposed to be getting the restore disks (vital for these old Vaios with weird and random functions) and the original manuals and guides in a separate package, which may or may not have a charger as well.

But why is there a random smartphone pictured, I hear you ask? Well, this is a very early Bluetooth-equipped laptop. But the incredible thing is - not only does the Bluetooth still work - it actually has no issues whatsoever talking to my 2015 Blackberry Passport, although it is incredibly slow.

Reply 12386 of 52760, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

I bet I know what it is. Rare enough to almost be made out of gold, if I am right.

Reply 12387 of 52760, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a s478 µATX board with i865G chipset (I had only 1 or 2 anyway, so this one is a nice addition), always nice to have a spare and especially since this one is of a later revision which should support virtually all s478 CPUs 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12388 of 52760, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenerb wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/xE4xB8xl.jpg […]
Show full quote

xE4xB8xl.jpg

Bought this mono/printer card off of Ebay just a moment ago.

Any idea if this thing would support Hercules graphics? I'm having a hard time finding out any info on it.

Realtek RTG3100 is the only IC on the board.

Looks like classic late hercules model, only missing optional ROM for non english fonts. But Realtek always did really lowcost cards....

You cant find any info, because i think yours foto is first on internet. Till today i even didn't know, that this chip existed... So back to the batcave update graphics cards tree 😈

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 12389 of 52760, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenerb wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

I bet I know what it is. Rare enough to almost be made out of gold, if I am right.

I'll give a hint, it is from 2009 and is Ferrari red from evga, cool swag for a XP/Win7 retro build and it can play Crysis. 😎

Reply 12392 of 52760, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
devius wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

...it is from 2009 and is Ferrari red from evga, cool swag for a XP/Win7 retro build...

2009 is retro now? 🤣

It has been since windows 10 and all that spying plus there are some dx9 games that already do not work due to copy protection. There are some retail games out there that will absolutely brick win10. 2009 for some was the last good year before modern games all became crap one way or the other.

Reply 12393 of 52760, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vlask wrote:
keenerb wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/xE4xB8xl.jpg […]
Show full quote

xE4xB8xl.jpg

Bought this mono/printer card off of Ebay just a moment ago.

Any idea if this thing would support Hercules graphics? I'm having a hard time finding out any info on it.

Realtek RTG3100 is the only IC on the board.

Looks like classic late hercules model, only missing optional ROM for non english fonts. But Realtek always did really lowcost cards....

You cant find any info, because i think yours foto is first on internet. Till today i even didn't know, that this chip existed... So back to the batcave update graphics cards tree 😈

Interesting. Anything you need to help you with your graphics card tree I can get from it?

Reply 12395 of 52760, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got this 'No-Name' GF2-Ti 64Mb today. (Slowly my early nVidia compilation gets complete: GF2-MX400, GF2-GTS, GF2-Ti, GF3-Ti200...)

Has somebody ever seen such VGA cards with 'ceramic' caps, instead of the traditional big caps the VGA cards have during that era?

Attachments

• 1-2.jpg
    Filename
    1-2.jpg
    File size
    34.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 1-1.jpg
    Filename
    1-1.jpg
    File size
    31.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by melbar on 2016-06-10, 17:28. Edited 2 times in total.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 12396 of 52760, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those aren't ceramic caps. They're SMD tantalum caps. They do a similar job but have the advantage of higher capacitance per volume than ceramics, although they have the disadvantage of being polarized like electrolytic. They are also very stable over long periods of time with or without use, but OTOH are prone to spectacular failure (read: tiny explosion) when they do fail.

Reply 12397 of 52760, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SMD tantalum caps....
Oh, thanks, have never heard of these caps. Also never heard of this metal, the chemistry in school was looong ago 🤣

Attachments

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 12398 of 52760, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:
Won this for $60 including shipping. Amazing what OEM deals there are out there still. […]
Show full quote

Won this for $60 including shipping. Amazing what OEM deals there are out there still.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Once it arrives in one piece (*knock wood*) this will become my retro PC. I am going to sell my AT&T Pentium 120. 😀

Wow. Nice condition. If only it was an Alpha 😉. DEC have a lot of pedigree in performance computing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Equipment_Corporation.

Reply 12399 of 52760, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Couple days ago I got my GF3 + "random motherboard" in the post from the listing on ebay.

So for $45 I got...

A random Foxconn Socket-A motherboard. Nothing special to even write about. Generic board, no overclocking. It does take up to 400 FSB Barton cores, and 400 mhz ram though. But only 4x AGP. And no dual channel.. just generic dual-IDE + floppy. Doesn't even have sata onboard. I don't care about that. What I wanted from the listing was.. the other things!

It had a random unknown processor under the heatsink. So I was silently hoping for something good there. Turned out that my hoping was good, and yet again I seem to of won out on the "random unknown processor lotto" a second time! It turned out to be a 2.1 ghz AthlonXP 3000+ 400-FSB Barton chip. just 1 stepping down from the 3200+ 400-FSB-Barton I have in my other computer.

And according to this guide over here: https://web.archive.org/web/20091113154547/ht … des/barton.html The "IQYHA" stepping on this 3000+ should be a superior overclocker than the "AQYHA" stepping of my 3200+ (Which by the way already does 2.5 ghz stable in my nforce2 motherboard). So I haven't swapped them out yet but I might get to that today.. see if it can get my nforce2 system up to 2.6+ ghz.

Also the nice all-copper cooler in this listing was rather nice. Real mirror finish bottom and fan's not too loud. I wanted that too. And likely will swap it into the nforce2 system to see if it cools the chips there better.

The real jewel of this listing I wanted above everything else though was the GeForce3 card. A Ti-500! I finally got one after all this time searching!
r_DSC06290.jpg
Larger: http://www.outfoxed.net/GF3/DSC06290.jpg

A little dusty.. nothing a can`o`air can't blast out.. This photo was just right when it was removed from packaging.

And, the back side:
r_DSC06294.jpg
Larger: http://www.outfoxed.net/GF3/DSC06294.JPG

So all in all, I'm quite pleased with my little purchase for $45.