VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12500 of 52976, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrofanatic wrote:
AMAZING!!! Where did you find this????? It's been impossible to find one of these for over 7 years for me on eBay! Very nice!!!! […]
Show full quote
chose007 wrote:

some new atypical things

GB with 875P and all possible equip

img

AMAZING!!! Where did you find this????? It's been impossible to find one of these for over 7 years for me on eBay! Very nice!!!! this is my first post in months...I saw the pic and just had to comment.. 😀

I used to use an *8KNXP" like this for my every day rig, (but without the RAID IDE connectors like yours has). I am just in awe 😲 . That is one of the best s478 boards ever made IMHO! but I fried mine when I crossed some frayed wires on my PS 😢 ...they are a bit notorious for having BIOS issues as they get older and it becomes very difficult to repair from what I have heard but as long as it works it is one of my favorite M/B's of all time!

I loved that it had 6 RAM slots...I think that it was the only consumer model to have that at the time (besides the other variations of the 8KNXP and Ultra 64 with SCSI).

I still keep my damaged board (and original box and packaging as well) hoping that one day I will be able to get it repaired by some miracle 🤣.

Anyways...are you planning a build with it? If so, keep us posted. I would love to see an "Ultimate s478 build" with that board!!

Theres few versions about equip, this one is best i think. Iam owning other two working pieces but KO some capacitors. GB is not so good like Abit or Asus models so cant plan "dream" build with this. Only interest about 6x slots for memory. Wonder if really work all in duach channel. Will see what happened, just playing with it.

DSCF3267_resize_zpswxhkmkib.jpg

DSCF3264_resize_zpsml3gdrly.jpg

luckybob wrote:

the ga-9inxp is a good deal right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231977926745

But this one is not same.

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 12501 of 52976, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went looking because of the socket 423 thread and found this, it has DDR and SDR support but the cherry on top is that agp slot supports older cards so it is 3dfx safe. VIA Apollo P4X266

423_ddr.jpg

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12502 of 52976, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:
Went looking because of the socket 423 thread and found this, it has DDR and SDR support but the cherry on top is that agp slot […]
Show full quote

Went looking because of the socket 423 thread and found this, it has DDR and SDR support but the cherry on top is that agp slot supports older cards so it is 3dfx safe. VIA Apollo P4X266

423_ddr.jpg

I have one like that made by ECS, it's for socket 478 and "violet ECS" 🤣 instead of red, but apart from that is nearly identical, probably it' some kind of VIA reference design.

Reply 12503 of 52976, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to be developing quite a fetish for socket A boards at the moment

Latest ebay plunder

$_57 (1).JPG
Filename
$_57 (1).JPG
File size
371.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Motherboards:
Asrock k7s41gx
Asrock k7vt4a pro x2
Gigabyte 7vm400am-rz
Asus a7n8x deluxe

Cpus:
Athlon 2700
Athlon 2800
Athlon 3200 x2
Sempron 2600

Gpu:
Radeon ati r9250 128mb 64bit with driver disc

Ram:
2x 512 pc2100 ddr400
2x 256 ddr333

$_57 (2).JPG
Filename
$_57 (2).JPG
File size
492.06 KiB
Views
File license

S3 Vision968 4MB PCI

$_57 (3).JPG
Filename
$_57 (3).JPG
File size
153.89 KiB
Views
File license

Box of 12 mixed cards, bought this purely as I spotted a card from my past in the pile, the PNY Verto Geforce4 TI4200 card (The dashing one in purple) remember many happy years with this card and still have the cd for it in my collection with the matching purple cover 😁

Bonus of other cards including yet another X-fi and SBlive 😁

Total cost of all of above was £29.19

Reply 12504 of 52976, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mr_ppp wrote:
I seem to be developing quite a fetish for socket A boards at the moment […]
Show full quote

Latest ebay plunder

$_57 (1).JPG

Motherboards:
Asrock k7s41gx
Asrock k7vt4a pro x2
Gigabyte 7vm400am-rz
Asus a7n8x deluxe

Cpus:
Athlon 2700
Athlon 2800
Athlon 3200 x2
Sempron 2600

Gpu:

Ram:
2x 512 pc2100 ddr400
2x 256 ddr333

$_57 (2).JPG

S3 Vision968 4MB PCI

$_57 (3).JPG

Box of 12 mixed cards, bought this purely as I spotted a card from my past in the pile, the PNY Verto Geforce4 TI4200 card (The dashing one in purple) remember many happy years with this card and still have the cd for it in my collection with the matching purple cover 😁

Collecting socket A goodies is a smart thing to do at this time as interest is very very low while the prices are low but it won't be that way for much longer and the greedy resellers will make that problem much worse. For 30 pounds you did Well and nice job 😀

Reply 12505 of 52976, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
Went looking because of the socket 423 thread and found this, it has DDR and SDR support but the cherry on top is that agp slot […]
Show full quote

423_ddr.jpg

I would recomend getting DDR to get the best perfomance with the system (PC133 SDRAM was known to be a bottlenck for the Pentium 4), anyways, good buy. My ECS P4ITA has the 1.5 volt only slow thanks to the Intel 850 (and it's sucessors) and RAMBUS RAM. DDR and Universal AGP motherboards for Socket 423 are really uncommon

shiva2004 wrote:

I have one like that made by ECS, it's for socket 478 and "violet ECS" 🤣 instead of red, but apart from that is nearly identical, probably it' some kind of VIA reference design.

ECS P4VXASD2+? I had that one

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 12506 of 52976, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
Show full quote

423_ddr.jpg

Is there no +12v connector on that board or am I just blind?

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 12507 of 52976, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

picked this up at a swap meet. I didn't need it but....

20160620_101308_zpsgajqun3b.jpg

20160620_101321_zpsobwr5t9d.jpg

it powers up and ejects but I don't have the cable to test it. the only review I found for this thing mentions an interface card and SCSI. The one EBay listing I found claims it has a proprietary interface so I don't know.

Reply 12508 of 52976, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote:
nforce4max wrote:
Show full quote

423_ddr.jpg

This is one of those pcchips boards and no there is no 12v connector, I like strange and unusual boards because they can really confuse people these days 🤣. I even got a Asus board that allows me to use a core duo and first gen core 2 duo mobile in a desktop 😎

INB4 the hyper inflated prices

Reply 12510 of 52976, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I was going to pick up an Olivetti M240 for 25€ and ended up with this lot for the same price:

IMG_20160619_155115.jpg

From top to bottom, it's a Zenith Z-148, Olivetti M240 with keyboard and an IBM 5364 at the bottom. The Olivetti is the only one with a keyboard. The IBM lacks the necessary interface cable and driver card to install in an IBM PC for interacting with it, and I also don't have any compatible PCs or terminals, so I think I won't be able to do much with it. It's still neat though 😀

I think both the Olivetti and the Zenith are working but not sure yet. I don't have any EGA or CGA monitors, so my only options for now are to try to use the composite output with a TV, or to install a 16-bit ISA VGA graphics card that works on an 8-bit slot. I also don't have any 8-bit VGA cards.

All of them are loaded with huge amounts of dust.

More pictures:

- Inside of the Olivetti:
IMG_20160619_160740.jpg
IMG_20160619_160943.jpg
IMG_20160619_161446.jpg
IMG_20160619_160935.jpg

I just noticed that some of TI chips were made in Portugal. Nice 😀 The battery obviously leaked, but at least it's on a small separate board and so it didn't do any harm to the motherboard.

- Inside the Zenith:
IMG_20160619_162349.jpg
IMG_20160619_162356.jpg

I don't think I'll be able to do much with the Zenith unless I find a way to add some kind of storage device to it, either compact flash or a disk drive, because I don't have any 5.25" floppies.

These are the oldest computers I have in my collection by far, and I'm super excited about getting them up and running 😁

Reply 12511 of 52976, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:

These are the oldest computers I have in my collection by far, and I'm super excited about getting them up and running 😁

Awesome! So great to see old systems like this surviving. I hope you find time to get at least 2 of them working 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 12512 of 52976, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nforce4max wrote:
Mr_ppp wrote:
I seem to be developing quite a fetish for socket A boards at the moment […]
Show full quote

Latest ebay plunder

$_57 (1).JPG

Motherboards:
Asrock k7s41gx
Asrock k7vt4a pro x2
Gigabyte 7vm400am-rz
Asus a7n8x deluxe

Cpus:
Athlon 2700
Athlon 2800
Athlon 3200 x2
Sempron 2600

Gpu:

Ram:
2x 512 pc2100 ddr400
2x 256 ddr333

$_57 (2).JPG

S3 Vision968 4MB PCI

$_57 (3).JPG

Collecting socket A goodies is a smart thing to do at this time as interest is very very low while the prices are low but it won't be that way for much longer and the greedy resellers will make that problem much worse. For 30 pounds you did Well and nice job 😀

Thanks! All though I first got into pc's in the 486 era with an Amstrad PC9486 I have a fondness for Socket A as I went through a fair amount through upgrades and sadly lost a lot of my old boards years ago.

Motherboards:

devius wrote:
So, I was going to pick up an Olivetti M240 for <ccc title="" style="font-size: inherit; transition: none; background-color: tra […]
Show full quote

So, I was going to pick up an Olivetti M240 for <ccc title="" style="font-size: inherit; transition: none; background-color: transparent;">£19.34</ccc> and ended up with this lot for the same price:

IMG_20160619_155115.jpg

From top to bottom, it's a Zenith Z-148, Olivetti M240 with keyboard and an IBM 5364 at the bottom. The Olivetti is the only one with a keyboard. The IBM lacks the necessary interface cable and driver card to install in an IBM PC for interacting with it, and I also don't have any compatible PCs or terminals, so I think I won't be able to do much with it. It's still neat though 😀

I think both the Olivetti and the Zenith are working but not sure yet. I don't have any EGA or CGA monitors, so my only options for now are to try to use the composite output with a TV, or to install a 16-bit ISA VGA graphics card that works on an 8-bit slot. I also don't have any 8-bit VGA cards.

All of them are loaded with huge amounts of dust.

More pictures:

- Inside of the Olivetti:
IMG_20160619_160740.jpg
IMG_20160619_160943.jpg
IMG_20160619_161446.jpg
IMG_20160619_160935.jpg

I just noticed that some of TI chips were made in Portugal. Nice 😀 The battery obviously leaked, but at least it's on a small separate board and so it didn't do any harm to the motherboard.

- Inside the Zenith:
IMG_20160619_162349.jpg
IMG_20160619_162356.jpg

I don't think I'll be able to do much with the Zenith unless I find a way to add some kind of storage device to it, either compact flash or a disk drive, because I don't have any 5.25" floppies.

Lovely looking machines!

If you need a 5.25" disk/s I've got plenty here I could possibly get dos or something onto for you

Reply 12513 of 52976, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

I hope you find time to get at least 2 of them working 😀

I think that's doable. I'm already looking at those 8-bit CF adapters from lo-tech, but the IBM mini-computer will probably remain asleep for a long time. I'll try to at least restore it aesthetically if I ever get the time.

I posted some more pictures of the IBM system over here if anyone is interested.

Reply 12514 of 52976, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yamaha XG PCI card. Was not listed as such, and picture was blurry but good enough to see what it actually was. http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jRAAAOSwjVVViECP/s-l1600.jpg

Got it today, confirmed that it's identical to my other YMF744 except for missing PCPCI header. No problem, 5 minutes later a header was soldered and the card got tested in mt i845 motherboard, confirmed working great in legacy DOS mode. Sweet OPL3.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12515 of 52976, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

This is one of those pcchips boards and no there is no 12v connector, I like strange and unusual boards because they can really confuse people these days 🤣. I even got a Asus board that allows me to use a core duo and first gen core 2 duo mobile in a desktop 😎

That is very unusual for a P4 board. A 2GHz P4 would be pulling 72w from the 5v rail!

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 12516 of 52976, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
nforce4max wrote:
Show full quote

423_ddr.jpg

Enlight me as to the model of that Asus board? Ive heard of desktop processors in laptops but uh...

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 12519 of 52976, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:
orinoko wrote:

Purchased a Toshiba Libretto 100CT off eBay 😀

Lucky you! Pics or it didn't happen! What was the price btw?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toshiba-Libretto-1 … n-/142030076444

I hope that link works?? Anyway not bad for $20 + postage! I have one already but it had a fight with the floor a few years ago and lost 😢

I've been trying to find a replacement for years, but these things aren't all that easy to find downunder.